S&P Capital IQ

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Database Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in December 2011.

Interview Details My first interview consisted of a 30 minute written test which included queries to answer.
There was a C program to write to check if a string is palindrome or not. Be well prepared with joins in case of queries. They also asked to create an ER diagram of a database schema.

Interview Question – Be prepared with sql queries.   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

Interview Details There was a half hour phone interview which was technical. After being cleared in it, I was invited to the location for a personal interview which consisted of a technical written test which was moderately difficult after which I met with three super smart people who grilled me on the test answers and my technical know how.

Interview Question – Why did I choose certain index design for the tables in the test.   View Answer

Database Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in November 2011.

Interview Details CIQ came to campus for a career fair and that's where I met the employees and really liked what they had to say. I made sure I talked to them enough so they would remember me. I sent my resume and got notified for a campus interview. The day before, they hosted an information session and I attended that as well, just to speak to the person who would interview me in a more informal setting. When it was time for the interview, I first took a written skills test with some basic questions on database design, a small coding question (they didn't care which language), and some sql queries. Next, I had a 1:1 interview with one of the employees. We went through the test and discussed my answers. The thought process was more emphasized than having the right answers. They don't expect all candidates to be completely versed in db's. I was then asked why I wanted the position etc.
A few days later, I was told that I had made it to the next round - the super day interview. It was scheduled for 2 weeks later and I was flown to NYC. The S&P building is very impressive. The candidates all gathered in a room and had pizza with the employees - just an informal session to ask any questions. I liked that touch because it was welcoming. The atmosphere seems relaxed and facilitates a collaborative environment. Also, most of the employees are young which probably means there are some great ideas flowing through the office. Next, I had three 1:1 interviews with members of the DB team. I had to show how I would design a certain database on the whiteboard. Each time a new interviewer came in and the other left. a new component was added and I was asked to figure out how to implement it. It was fairly straight forward and I learned a lot of design concepts just during the interviews when the employees corrected my logic or showed me something when I was uncertain. All of them seemed to look for my interest in databases, and an interest in learning more. Each asked if I had questions, so come with questions.
About two and a half weeks later, I received an email with an offer letter attached!

Interview Question – Why do you want this position? Why do you want to work for CIQ?   View Answer

Database Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at S&P Capital IQ in February 2011.

Interview Details Presented with a 30-page skills assessment. First exercise was on database design. Second exercise was an algorithm problem using your language of choice. Third exercise was writing out complicated SQL queries.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at S&P Capital IQ

Worked for S&P Capital IQ? Contribute to the Community!

S&P Capital IQ Videos

S&P Capital IQ – Why Work for Us?

About S&P Capital IQ S&P Capital IQ is the powerful new combination of offerings previously provided by Capital IQ, elements of S&P including Global Credit Portal and MarketScope Advisor, enterprise solutions such as… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at S&P Capital IQ Database Engineer interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by S&P Capital IQ employees and interview candidates.