S&P Capital IQ Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 21 Mar 2015

3.3

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

First interview was a phone screen, which covered the basics of object oriented design. Second interview came a couple months later and was on site with three individual engineers. This interview was bit more in debt, it involved 3 questions related to algorithm design, application design and a high level implementation the database objects required to store the applications data with the correct normalization. The questions were quite manageable and came from regular scenarios which would occur in most enterprise solutions. The last interview was over the phone and was strategically focused on the technologies that position required. Mostly focus on SOA and the Microsoft stack which can be used to build these type of solutions.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers asked about database isolation and optimizing a process which will have a high level of concurrency. This was not difficult for me but was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a pending offer and they matched it.

Other Interview Reviews for S&P Capital IQ

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Hyderābād (India)) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview process for the Mobile App Developer
    - There were 3 rounds, First one technical other two manager
    - The interview was mainly on JAVA and bit of Android & iOS
    - Manager rounds were just a formality

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Three interviews:-
    1. First Round(phone) :HR based interviews with general HR questions and provided a coding Quiz(Fraction point).

2. Second Round(phone): Interview with the hiring manager, general questions about my experience and courses taken at school. Discussed about my projects and how I could improve it now, and also went over the quiz.

3. Third Round (on-site) : 3 Round interviews with 4 different people(two in the last round). First round asked general question for 10 mins and provided to a coding quiz to be solved in 45 mins.

It had 4 questions ,all Data structures and OOPS based.
    1.Least Common Ancestor in a BST.
    2. Merging two sorted lists.
    3.How to Designing cache to return data faster (solution-hashtable) and how to improve it with multiple requests(multi-threading..)
    4. How to design vending Machine.

Second Round, the interviewer went over each solution and asked questions around the problem, improvements, and running times.

Third Round, two interviewers went over OOP, Design Patter, multi-threading, etc. Asked me to design and write codes for a Deck of cards for Blackjack, and some features of BlackJack Game(shuffling, players, giving cards to each player, etc).

Interview Questions

• Nothing too hard, brush up on data structures and OOP.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated starting date.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online on my school's Job link. It is an on campus interview and I was asked to finish 4 programming questions in 30 mins. And the interviewer went through those 4 question with me together.

Interview Questions

• Design a Cache to store stock information.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Mumbai (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

Applied through campus placements. There were supposed to be 5 rounds. First Aptitude then Technical Aptitude and then 3 interviews. But in my case there was only one interview. The whole process got over in an hour. The first aptitude had a few questions on quantitative aptitude and logical reasoning; a section on programming related MCQs and another on database related questions. It seems quite difficult but surprisingly got through. The second test had 2 sections One programming related where we could answer using logic/pseudo code/actual code/algorithm and another with database queries. Even this was difficult. Infact the Interview was pretty chilled out. General Questions based on Linked lists, queries, indexers, trees,etc. they were more interested in the approach rather than actual knowledge. In all a pretty good experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Hyderābād (India)).

Interview

3 Rounds of Interview: 2 Technical & 1 HR.. First round comprised of resume based questions and couple of small algorithm based ones.. Second round was completely on Algorithms

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ in March 2014.

Interview

The placement process had 4 rounds. 1st one was the aptitude round which had questions from verbal and quant. Next was a written technical test. Then there was a technical interview followed by a telephonic interview.

Application

Interview

S&P Capital IQ typically hires from campuses.

First round consists of a written test that test analytical, programming abilities and database knowledge. Database is the heart of the work here and hands-on knowledge is highly valued. Questions will be asked on Relevant work from the resume

Interview Questions

• How your term project will help in our business   1 Answer

Negotiation

Through campus. No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

On-Campus: Written test followed by a follow-up in person interview.
    On-site:
    3 back to back technical interviews, 40-45 minutes each.
    Questions:
    1. Design "Undo" and "Redo" feature for a text editor.
    2. Given an integer array, return "1" if sum of any two numbers is zero.
    3. Use two dice to create a random number generator (0-15).
    4. What is a Race Condition?
    5. Given a continuous stream of characters, find the first non-repeating character.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at S&P Capital IQ (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

3 ROUNDS :1st is written round comprising of apti,SQL,programming questions,2 code were to be written.
    2nd is Technical Interview:1 code was asked,quite grilled on DBMS,OS,OOPS,JAVA.
    3rd is Tech+HR interview:concepts from java ,DBMS were asked extensively and HR ques like "where do u see urself after 5 yrs" were there.

Interview Questions

• how do you merge N files into a single file ?what approach is to be followed?   Answer Question