Salesforce

Updated 20 Oct 2014
Updated 20 Oct 2014

3.2

CIT Interview

I had three to four phone interviews with three different people at Salesforce, both managers and HR people. Mostly competency based questions: why do you want to work for salesforce, why CIT, what are your key skills, take me through your CV, what does Salesforce do, what makes a good sales person...

No negotiation.

Solution Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce.

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months.
    Eight rounds of interviews with a mix of telephone and face-to-face with anyone across the organisation (EU and US) for cultural fit as well as technical competences.

Interview Questions
    • The process included a case study and face-to-face presentation to a panel.   Answer Question
    Very straightforward.

Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Salesforce.

Applied for position online. Within a couple of weeks was contacted by HR recruiter by phone and was asked some questions about my experience, skills and suitability for the job - this was quite inappropriate since the HR person had no expertise or knowledge of my field, yet was to decide whether to put forward my application to the Hiring Manager! At the end of the call the HR person told me I will be "recommended" for an interview.

Within a day I received a call to schedule a face2face interview and subsequently a confirmatory email.

Had to travel several hundred miles to the interview location. The Hiring Manager turned up 10-15 min late with another person to meet me at reception. He was barely awake and was looking to the side when shaking my hand - I would have understood if it was an early morning interview but it was already midday and I was the one who had to travel there. No interview room was available so another 5-10 mins wasted in finding a room. Just when the interview started the other interviewer with no embarrassment said had not read my CV and asked to explain who my current employer was - a very well known company within the industry but interviewer had not heard about them. We had a brief chat and was asked some average competency based questions around the field and my experience. The interview was 45mins at best. At the end I was told that the process is long and slow and that I should hear from them within a week re next stage - I did not hear back from them for 2 months!

I couldn't believe how unprofessional the recruitment process is at this company. The interviewers seemed tired and uninterested in life in general and I was annoyed that the Hiring Manager had not qualms about asking someone to travel several hundred miles for a 45 min interview - a phone/Skype call would have been much more appropriate. I did not want to work for such a company with such people and declined their invitation for a next stage interview.

Technical Solution Architect Interview

Submitted CV to salesforce website against role. Had three further telephone interviews.

1. With HR recruiter to ensure I understood role and wanted to progress.
    2. With an existing Technical Solution Architect to ensure I had relevant skills and so I could ask questions about the job.
    3. With Manager of the Technical Solution Architect roles. This was to check that I had enough experience in specific areas (e.g. managing System Integrators). This was needed as the focus of the role was going to change in the near future, from delivering solutions using in-house resources to utilising third parties.

There would have been two further stages (presentation, senior manager interview).

Interview Questions
    • This would have been at the next round. They get you to prepare a presentation (about salesforce) and present it to a panel of experts.   Answer Question

Director Technical Solutions Architecture Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in October 2012.

Totally unenjoyable and unrealistic process.
    Approached via social media due to outstanding profile and skills match.
    Asked to do loads of prep work for a mock presentation.
    Asked to learn their products in a few weeks so as to present these back to them.
    Technical knowledge of their products before process - ZERO
    Technical knowledge of their products at the mock presentation - slightly below ZERO
    Advised prior to mock presentation a general understanding of products was needed only - "high level" is the words used.
    Feedback on process - not enough knowledge of the products.
    Clearly, interviewers didn't take the time to read the CV or other social media info on the profile.
    Process setup to make failure more likely rather than highlight weaknesses and identify how to bolster those.
    Told 'after the fact' that a 'turnkey person' was needed - translation - we want a salesforce guru. So why approach someone without a salesforce background only to let the fail ?

Interview Questions
    • Dumb question - why do you want the job ?   View Answer

Stated they wanted something different, got that during the interview, then changed the scope of what they were looking for. Time wasting.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Salesforce in July 2012.

Initial communication through a referral was positive. Had a phone conversation with an HR person, which went well although the questions were very vague. However, after informing me that I would get a call from the department head for the position I was applying after HR talked to him and asking me if I would be willing to have a conversation with people at Salesforce HQ, communication suddenly cut off. A follow up email was not replied to, and it was only after sending a second mail more than a month later that I got a reply informing me the position was on hold and more information would be given at the end of a week. Again this date passed and it was after I followed up again that I was informed the position was scrapped.

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in April 2012.

The initial meeting was very informal. Just a general chat about life, family, career successes and aspirations. Overall a very relaxed and positive start to the process.

Following this, I was then invited to present to a 'panel' at the UK HQ in Staines. I was given a standard corporate slide deck and told to go and prepare a 45 minute presentation.

On the day, I arrived at reception 5 minutes early, and was met by a flustered recruitment manager who wasn't expecting me for another hour. A check of both our calendars revealed he was mistaken and I was actually on time.

The panel I was intended to present to, and who I had researched extensively, was not in the office (nothing to do with the 1 hour time difference - they were not in at all that day). So the recruitment manager hastily rounded up three unwilling participants from the office to serve as my panel. Needless to say, a little disconcerting after I had poured a huge amount of effort into preparing for the presentation.

Undeterred, I ploughed through and did my best to remain passionate and enthusiastic, even though the audience spent most of their time discreetly looking at their iPhones under the table.

The 15 minute 'comment and feedback' section at the end was actually 30 seconds of "yes - well done - I need to go now".

Following this experience, I began to wonder if I actually still wanted to work here. The situation was explained away as "we're doing so much recruitment right now, this sometimes happens". So I decided to stick with it.

Next I had a 15 minute face to face with the UK AVP and a telephone interview with the UK MD. Both encounters were relaxed and informal and I found it easy to remain in control of the conversation. Both of them had left Salesforce within 6 months.

Finally another telephone interview with the President of EMEA. On this call, I had been warned to expect such questions as "how many hairs are there on a dog" and "how many bicycle tyres were sold in China last year", but it was nothing like that. Just a straightforward conversation about life, career, family and why I wanted to join Salesforce. However, I have heard that he has used such analytical questions on other interviewees.

I was offered the job and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions - the whole thing was a walk in the park, but my situation may be rather unique.   Answer Question
    This was more difficult. They wouldn't budge on anything, to the point that I didn't sign the offer letter for a week. After pushing very hard, I conceded and took their offer.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in December 2011.

Telephone screening, call with manager and team members, panel case study presentation and interview, final interviews with senior execs

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the competition, their strengths and weaknesses   View Answer

Sales/Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staines, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in June 2010.

Its was an informal interview with a person I already know who invited my for an expansive discussion to investigate the possibility of finding a fit for me skills in their organisation. 2nd step would be an interview with a more senior member of their team and would include a role play, however I have decided not to pursue the opportunity.

Interview Questions

There would be little benefit to me with joining this organisation and would be a sideways move.

Director Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Salesforce in August 2009.

Lengthy