Schlumberger

Getting the Interview

380 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer

I applied online and interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details Applied online
Invited to Assessment Centre in Dec 2013,
Standard AC activities including presentation from the company, aptitude tests, personal interview and technical test involving putting together a valve using a technical drawing.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2013.

Interview Details I was invited to the assessment centre in Aberdeen where a full day event was conducted.
The day started with 3 psychometric tests, these were unlike others I have seen in the industry where the first was a logic sequence, however in a 3x3 grid with 1 square missing, the 2nd was a circuit like problem where different components altered the shape going through it in terms of size, colour and shape type this was fairly easy, the last test was also component based and fairly logical.
After a break we worked in a group to make a structure out of paper we could all stand under. We had lunch and then there were pre prepared presentations from all candidates and individual interviews.
The staff were fairly friendly, however a more holistic approach would have been better rather than telling people to leave after not scoring well in the tests which is quite intimidating.

Interview Question – The psychometric tests were unexpected.   Answer Question

Field Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details The day started with 3 tests, a numerical test and two logic tests. The tests were marked and participants who did not reach the minimum criteria were asked to leave.

The second half of the day involved presentations and a one-on-one interview and asked to assemble a valve.

Interview Question – Valve assembly had a time limit.   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in March 2013.

Interview Details After submitting CV online was invited for interview after 8 weeks. The interview was not so difficult. The questions asked are mostly on CV. To my fortune, there was any behaviour questions. After interview I was invited to assessment center.

Interview Question – The way to determine rock porosity.   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Schlumberger in February 2012.

Interview Details Send applicaiton on-line. Received email a few weeks later inviting me to an assessment centre involving: exams, presentation, team exercise and individual interview.

Interview Question – Why does the oil industry need you?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Schlumberger

Interview Details Relatively tame assessment day, only 7 candidates.

Morning had some logic and reasoning tests followed by a group exercise.

Afternoon had a presentation on yourself and a brief one on one interview; nothing too challenging asked but they seemed keen to know if you have practical experience. Followed by a 5 minute technical task assembling a simple a valve.

Interview Question – Everything was straightforward.   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Schlumberger in December 2012.

Interview Details Online CV drop followed by Assessment Centre.
Assessment centre consisted of 5 min personal presentation followed by questions, team task, maths/physics test and logic test, practical test and interview.

Personal presentation topics are prescribed. I haven't had the inevitable rejection yet but from candidate to candidate, don't bore everyone with wordy powerpoints. They will bring up your weakness, lets hope there's an upside to it.
Team task is achieving certain physical objectives using office materials & stationery. Time is short, come up with a plan and stick to it. They are probably judging teamwork, communication and common sense.
Practical test was hard, involves assembling a component - look at any diagrams very carefully.
In my interview it felt they were trying to figure out which division I might fit into. Read up on the three divisions, I was caught off guard when they started describing a job different to the one I had researched.

Interview Question – Why does the Oil Industry need you?   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Schlumberger in November 2012.

Interview Details First had interview at university, after 3 days I was then asked to an assessment centre in Aberdeen from 9-5, where I had to take two tests, given a presentation on Schlumberger on what the job involved, give a personal presentation, take part in a group activity and finally a practical interview where you have to assemble a valve.

Interview Question – Why Schlumberger? What is involved in the position you have applied for?   Answer Question

Aberdeen, Scotland

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details Simply sent in my CV. Then called to an assessment day where you are required to do a presentation, maths and lateral thinking test, group test and personal interview with a practical test. There is also a presentation of the company and the position.

Nothing abnormal in the interview, standard questions. Why do you want the job? What can you give to it? How do you think you will cope being away from civilization for prolong periods?

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

London, England

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Schlumberger.

Interview Details Three Interviews. Two Written Tests. One Practical Test. Interview based on Merit. Aim is to see if you fit SLB Profile. Also Recruiter does nopt want candidates who will fail First Training School. They are rated based on success/failure of their Recruits. Answer truthfully. Be pro-active. Recruiter is really not intererested in if your answers are correct or not. He/She is interested in your thought process and also your ability to work in a team environment.

Interview Question – You are given few random pages of Manual of a Wireline Loggong tool. You are then asked random questions about this very unfamiliar tool. Again, your thought process is most critical here. Your approach to getting answers is the key.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no salary negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Schlumberger

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schlumberger Field Engineer interview questions and advice. All 380 interview reviews posted anonymously by Schlumberger employees and interview candidates.