Sears Interview Questions

Updated 27 Oct 2014
1,290 Interview Reviews

2.3

Backroom Associate Interview

I applied online and was called in to interview with two different people. After the interviews they made it clear that I would be getting the job and should expect a phone call within the next few days.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you went out of your way to help someone.   Answer Question

Merchandising and Pricing Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Sears uses recruiters to contact potential employees, but you will interview with a store manager. There are pre-determined questions asked during the interview. Most likely, you will be interviewed by two of the store managers.

Interview Questions
    The is no negotiation. The salary is set for all incoming employees, either you accept or you do not. The offer is received via email.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sears.

Interview process took a day, you have to take personality and sales experiences tests. training is extensive but helpful. Interview process is average and tests took an our to resolve

Interview Questions
    • sales experiences and personality can have tricky questions   Answer Question

Inventory Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sears.

apply through campus system and get an interview about several weeks later ( on campus). The first question he asked was about sponsorship, as i am an international students and i do need a sponsorship to work here, we did not continue the interviewing process.

Loss Prevention Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Passaic, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Passaic, NJ (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Sears.

Hiring process was very easy, if they need people, they will contact you quickly. I applied and the next day they called. Had interview the following day, had to do a drug test and background check and after maybe 2 weeks i started working.

Merchandiser Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sears.

The Hiring and Interview Process was okay. Just apply online show up be prepared and be yourself. You'll do fine. They only ask about where you find the job and what is your experience...stuff like that. Did not take long at all.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied in-person – interviewed at Sears.

long, not detailed, did not tell the whole truth about benefits. Never said no raises was told 1 week vacation after a year, but not true you start accruing time after a year.

Senior Customer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Round Rock, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeksinterviewed at Sears.

Applied online, got an email to set up a phone interview, 20 minute phone ibterview basic questions, scheduled an in person interview, listened to calls for about 30 minutes, the had the interview. A lot of scenario questions and I had to role play as if I was talking to an angry customer. Was offered the job on the spot pending background check and drug test

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time you had to deal with two different kinds of angry customers. how did you handle waxh customer?   Answer Question
    None. The pay is set. Everyone gets the same

Hardlines MCA Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Sears.

Easy interview process I originally obtained employment as a Seasonal associate, interview questions were really basic and expected questions, "Why do you want to work for sears" "Where do you see your self with the company in 5 years" "What qualifies you for employment with sears" "If you could describe yourself with one word, what would it be"

Interview Questions
    • I originally became hired as a sales associate so I got this question "Sell me this pen"   Answer Question
    there was really no negotiation, they told me starting pay was 7.25/hr and it was a seasonal position only and they ended up keeping me.

Taxonomist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sears.

The process was a joke from beginning to end. Phone interview followed by onsite at Hoffman Estates location. The onsite location interview was the most depressing I've ever encountered. Once I arrived the HR woman told me that the attitude toward the perception of Sears as a sinking ship is just something you get used to, something she mentioned unprompted by anything I said.

I met 3 people for one on one interviews. For the first, the nice but obviously overwhelmed manager asked questions along the lines of how I responded when things didn't work and the technology broke which seemed to be the theme at Sears, nothing works but we do what we can rather than attempt to fix it.

The next manager I was to meet showed up 20 minutes late to a 30 minute interview and asked me such obvious questions as "What does taxonomy mean?" It is clear they interview a lot of completely unqualified people for the role.

The final interview was with what would be my peers and was the most depressing of all and made clear why the taxonomy of Sears is such a mess. I was asked to classify what was obviously a bunch of garbage from a junk drawer into coherent piles. The objects were unsellable items, parts and broken pieces that would never be sold individually such as pieces of driftwood, buttons, a guitar pick and the top of a salt shaker. Once the task was complete the interviewers instead of giving me feedback on the classification used the opportunity to pay "gotcha" and tell me which objects I had misidentified. (No, that disk with holes in it isn't a button but a saltshaker top, etc.) At no point during this final interview was I asked any questions. I was simply told what an amazing job the team did despite having no actual authority in the department and that despite being sold the job as a downtown position, I should expect to commute to Hoffman Estates more often than not.

Finally when it was my turn to ask questions, it was clear the department, despite be a joke in the industry, didn't see that it was doing anything wrong. There is no consistency on the website because there is no attempt at consistency internally and zero documentation. I was told issues are kept track of via "skype meetings." Even the manager and the team contradicted each other as to how consistency was maintained.

At no point was I asked any questions that would demonstrate that I was a better candidate than anyone else that applied. Even the sorting task was misused, to ensure that the results were not meaningfully interpreted.

A week after I was told a decision was to be made I was called to be told that my references would be called. Two weeks after that I only found out I didn't get the position when I was called by another department to interview for a different role. For the second role, despite making it to the final stage and positive feedback, I again never got a final word for the recruiter which I presume means I either wasn't hired or they lost my resume, each seeming equally plausible.