Sephora

Relevance Date Difficulty

Beauty Product Consultant Interview

Beauty Product Consultant
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

Interview Details I did the application online and it was about two weeks before the manager called me in for an interview. She told me it would be a group interview and that there would only be 4 girls. We were interviewed by three women: the manager, the education leader, and the district manager.

At the beginning of the interview each girl was given a sheet of paper with different scenarios on it, and we were told to pick the one we thought would boost sales and then give a pitch as to why Sephora should implement the scenario we chose. This exercise just shows them how your mind thinks, so there's no right or wrong answer. After that, we were only asked a total of 4 or 5 questions and every girl was able to answer without being talked over or interrupted. We laughed a lot and talked about loads of stuff, so it was a very relaxed and comfortable experience.

The interview took about an hour, and at the end the manager told us she would call us at the end of the week to let us know. I received a phone call from her yesterday afternoon with an offer and I accepted. Very pleasant people, and the interview was one of the best I've ever had (considering how horrible group interviews can be!) I'm looking forward to working for this company.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult, pretty standard questions like: "Why do you want to work for Sephora?", and "How do you feel about meeting sales goals?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating as the pay was a lot higher than I was expecting.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details Saw ad for job fair, went and applied. Interviewers had on tons of makeup. My boyfriend gets annoyed by this when we go into the store. Was asked the broken perfume bottle question. Dumbest question ever. She was more interested in my references. I earlier interviewed at a bank and wasn't even grilled to such extent. She seemed uninterested on the fact that I have done three weddings this month and had proof. Now I know this is only about sales and not so much passion for cosmetics. Was told I will be contacted within a week, but after the interview I think id rather stay just a customer and freelance MUA. The pay doesn't sound appealing either. Wasn't offered yet any position but I'm going to decline anyway. Not only did they interview me, but I interviewed them and I'm not interested.

Interview Question – How was my past experience as a customer with sephora? The broken perfume bottle question....   View Answer

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in July 2014.

Interview Details I put in an application online and about a week later I received a phone call to go in for an interview the following Monday. I've always wanted to work for Sephora and have a cousin who works at another location so I was pretty confident that I'd get the job. When I arrived (10 minutes early) I was asked to wait while the manager spoke to a client. I browsed the store for 30 minutes waiting, which was fine because I had time to mentally prepare myself. When I was finally called in for the interview I was greeted by a male manager who made ABSOLUTELY no eye contact with me throughout the entire interview process. He seemed very annoyed that he had to conduct an interview as if it were wasting his time.
During the interview he asked me the standard questions and even more so, i.e. where are our headquarters, who is Sephora owned by, etc. All of which I answered correctly because for 3 DAYS I religiously studied the company's history, interview questions and so on. He seemed to be impressed with my answers... up until he asked what I wanted for my future. I told him I was an artist and that I had recently become very interested in Interior Design. Wrong answer. He immediately and without hesitation told me that he didn't have anything open for me at the moment and that I wasn't the "right fit." Overall, worst interview of my life. He was rude, pretentious and uninterested as hell.

Interview Question – How would you convince a customer to also buy eyeshadow when they're looking for concealer?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person - interviewed at Sephora in December 2011.

Interview Details . Sephora is HUGE on customer service so make sure your answer is customer service based. if they ask the broken perfume question, you do an exchange for the client. if they ask about why you want to work there don't make it about makeup. they can make anyone a makeup artist they cant make you customer friendly. Oh and they do a very thorough reference check so make sure who ever you put on there loves you and can vouch for you 100%

Interview Question – what is your weakness?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Product Consultant Interview

Product Consultant

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details Great interview. Vert easy to talk to, I felt like I was talking to friends. Talked in the phone for a while and met the following day to meet in person.

Interview Question – Basic questions on customer service.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details the process took a long time after i applied online. i was called a day before, and told about the interview info and went to the interview at the location and there was a lot of people because it was a career fair. it was a group interview of 4 people.

Interview Question – tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in August 2013.

Interview Details I applied one evening and the next morning i got a call from two stores. they did an over the phone inter view, why do i want to work at sephora, tell me about yourself etc. Sephora is HUGE on customer service so make sure your answer is customer service based. if they ask the broken perfume question, you do an exchange for the client. if they ask about why you want to work there don't make it about makeup. they can make anyone a makeup artist they cant make you customer friendly. Oh and they do a very thorough reference check so make sure who ever you put on there loves you and can vouch for you 100%

Interview Question – nothing unexpected just basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for 12 they said they could only do 11.50 so i just accepted.

Cashier/Cast Member Interview

Cashier/Cast Member
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Sephora in May 2014.

Interview Details Applied for Sephora online around May 5th. Received a call three days later to come in for group interview. interview went well, three other girls, had more cosmetic experience than me and were years older than me. I did not get a call back so I called back to get feedback on how to improve, they loved me but they didn't feel too comfortable with the distance i had to travel. I live in Brooklyn and the store was in Manhasset. Which was a decent reason. I then received a call from another location in the city (Union Sq), went in for a group interview. Two other girls were late so it was only me and another girl. I wore a neutral polka-dot dress and did my face flawlessly. We talked for a bit before the interview, think her name was Melinda (whats up gurll!). they asked question about what would you do if a client purchased a perfume and broke it on the way out, answer: always give a new one, customer is important. Anyways we were told that everyone gets hired as cashier first. They did a background check and called my references. BE SURE TO GIVE THE PERSONAL NUMBERS OF REFERENCES. I learned that the hard way because my references were not being responsive with their workplace numbers, this almost cost me the position since it had been a month since the interview. Now when I called back to let the store director know that my references had called, he seemed very nice and so I got my hopes up. I assumed that they were going to call me in for another interview but amazingly he just straight up gave me an offer! I was so excited and relieved being that I really wanted to work for this company and I had been unemployed for a while. Orientation starts next monday!

Interview Question – How would you handle three clients at the same time? No backup is available   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, the offer was sent online so i was grateful enough to obtain the job. $11 starting on cashier. not bad.

Color Consultant Interview

Color Consultant
Seattle, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Sephora in September 2013.

Interview Details First there was a group interview with 3 more girls. Questions were simple: about the experience and how we will deal with the difficult clients, why we want to change our jobs and get a job in Sephora. 15 minutes after the interview Specialist called me and invited for the second interview with the Store Director. It was an hour long interview with the same questions that are very simple to answer. They want you to assure them you will be professional and polite and know how to apply makeup on someone. AND SELL, SELL, SELL. They invited a cashier and told me to sell her a blush. They brought a brush, a blush and a highlighter. I put all 3 items in her basket. After that interview I was called and scheduled interview with the district manger on the phone. it took 3 more days and the same questions - 15 minutes only. I got a job in a week after I was interviewed for the first time. It is my biggest regret and disappointment. Sephora promises a lot and gives nothing, no respect, no recognition, no thank you. $500/ paycheck is very good if you will be getting as a color consultant, working 32 hours a week. This company is greedy and cheap. An ok job if you are a student and need some money, not good as a permanent job and you try to survive on those pennies that they will be given to you.

Interview Question – How will you deal with a client who is putting products into their purse in front of you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me 11.50/hour because you have an experience. no negotiable.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sephora.

Interview Details The hiring and interview process was pleasant and hassle free! I went in to apply and completed an application and handed it to a manager with my cover letter and resume. Then I had an on the spot interview where one of the managers asked why I wanted to work at Sephora, what my goals were, and where I saw myself in two years at Sephora. I was then told that I would be called and invited to a group interview, the first part of the interview process. Sure enough, later that evening I was invited to come in a few days later for a group interview.

The group interview included two members of management, myself, and five other individuals applying for the job. The managers rotated who would answer first and last, so everyone would have a fair chance at answering, and asked questions such as:
-Tell us about yourself and why you want to work at Sephora.
- Explain your last job to us and how the skills you applied would make you the ideal Sephora employee.
- Where do you see yourself in two years at Sephora?
- Give an example of a time you went above and beyond in customer service.
- Do you have experience working in an energetic and fast-paced environment?
After the questions she collected our references and ensured us that if they thought we were a good fit, we would be called in for a second interview that would include a demo. Overall the group interview was thorough and easy going.

The very next day I received a call inviting me to come in for a second one on one interview and demo. When I got to Sephora, I was informed that I would be doing my demo first. I met with a very welcoming lady who was the Educational Expert at Sephora. She explained to me that the demo was to see how I would naturally interact with clients as a cashier. She also told me to not worry about not knowing anything about the products. She gave me a few tips about what to mention while cashing a client out and then we began. We started off doing the first demonstration where she pretended she was a client and I was the cashier and we were performing a simple and to the point transaction. Then we did a second demonstration where she was an angry client, so she could see how I handled conflict. After the demo she gave me some constructive feedback, told me I did really well, and that another manager would be in shortly to finish off the interview process.

Shortly after, another manager came in and asked the following questions:
- Tell me about yourself and why you want to work at Sephora?
- What skills do you have that would be suited to the position?
That part of the interview was actually a lot of fun! The manager was so relaxed and showed great excitement for her job and Sephora as a whole. When the interview was over, I asked a few of my questions and she informed me that I would be contacted as soon as my references were checked.

Overall, my experience interviewing at Sephora was one of the most pleasant interview experiences I've ever had. The employees are incredibly helpful and friendly and you can tell they really care about their employees.

Good luck!

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult. You just have to know yourself, your skills, and your passion for Sephora.   Answer Question

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!