Sky Interview Questions

Updated 30 Sep 2014

3.2

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky in August 2014.

Got contacted by an in-house recruiter via email who saw my CV online and she sent me a small Java test to do. A week on and no feedback from the test I got invited to attend a face to face (final round), so I guess I did OK. The final round consisted of a pair test which was two guys sitting next to me, slightly confused as apparently collaboration isn't part of it, I always thought the point of pair programming is that you can bounce off ideas rather than going and just coding something. Second part was a very much untechnical interview with 3 people, I think the manager and 2 other devs. They asked mostly just about my last 2 roles and also asked me to draw an example of my work which with policies in place I don't feel like you can give too much away. I didn't pass the interview as I needed too much prompting with the sit down test and came across too un-technical with my explanation of my work although I wasn't asked about specifics about technologies used. I think coming to the office was an eye opener and speaking to developers there also made me put this role at the bottom of my list below other roles I'm interviewing for but each to their own.

Retention Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sky in August 2014.

Applied online and completed the online assessment which is basically just some situations and how you would handle them which is relatively easy!
    Then had a phone call in which some basic questions were asked e.g. if the hours were suitable, if I was eligible to work in the UK etc. Then on the same call was the phone interview in which you were asked some questions about situations in the work place and how you'd dealt with them previously e.g. "describe a time when you've worked as part of a successful team" and "describe a time when you've given good customer service" etc. Was informed on the same call that I'd passed the interview and invited in for an interview. I went on holiday for 2 weeks and rang to arrange a date for this when I returned.
    Then was my face to face interview.
    The first part of the interview was myself and 3 other candidates sat round a table while someone talked to us about sky in general and went over a few aspects of the job role.
    We then got spit into 4 rooms and told to do a presentation, we had paper, pens and some sheets with information with clues as to what they wanted in this presentation.
    There were four questions to answer in this part:
    Why Sky?
    Why You?
    Why Retention's?
    (I Cant remember the 4th but it was quite similar).
    Then there was the 'speed dating' part of the interview, where you spoke to 4 different interviewers about different areas. E.G. empathising with customers and why it was important. questions about customer services. How you would sell something to someone. ETC.
    Then the final part was the role play telephone call.
    You were given sheets with the products and packages sky offered and then a 'difficult customer' (one of the interviewers) would ring a telephone in the interview room and present an issue to you. You have one practice call which they give you feedback on and one real call which your marked on.
    The first was something like 'my husbands been laid off and I need to cancel as I have found cheaper elsewhere' and the second was ' I want to make a complaint about the last call adviser i spoke to... then... Ive found a cheaper deal for the same full package as yours... then they wanted to check their friends package to compare (which you refuse for data protection)".
    They then come down to the room and review the call with you.

Interview Questions
    • The phone calls were difficult as you have little product knowledge and are expected to answer as if you do.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sky in July 2014.

Coding Test
    Short Competency based Interview
    Long Assessment day

Coding test was easy but requires far bit of skills to put things together. I enjoyed completing my test. HR on the phone interview was friendly and helped me out throughout the process. Assessment day was long and tiring but was a good experience.

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sky in July 2014.

I applied online and was called to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for a Friday 9am. I prepared and waited for the call. No one called. I tried to get in touch with the recruiters on Newcastle six times that day. I was always put on hold and no one answered. I got a call in the evening and re scheduled for a phone interview on Tuesday. They called and I passed the phone interview which was very easy. The I was invited for an assessment on Thursday at 11:15am. I arrived at 10:45am and went to the gate and informed them that I was there for an assessment. They asked me for a name but I did not have one. I was told that there was nothing they could do for me. I went to the other gate same story. I contacted the people in Newcastle again and they told me that I needed to go to the gate past the construction site. I did so and no one again was able to help me. By then it was 11:30am and they gave me slot for 2:15pm. I waited outside until 2:00pm and was picked up by a Beatrice. The interview was scheduled to last 2.5 hours. The questions were straight forward, why Sky and so one. I was well prepared since I researched the interview process and knew someone who was an employee there and interviewed candidates. Then we had to do a phone call exercise and the recruiter told me that I sounded very confident and she was impressed with my answers. Then the second interviewer came in around 5:15pm and said now "let's do the wash up". I found that to be rude and unprofessional. At 5:30pm we were released and told that we would get no feedback. The next morning I called at around 10:00am in Newcastle and thanked the company for the interview and within minutes I received the rejection notice. The way I was treated by this company was unacceptable and it proves that companies do not care about people. I can live with rejection but from the start this was unprofessional at best. This is bad advertisement and I will not recommend this company to anyone. I cancelled my service with Sky the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Why Sky? We were supposed to create a story board but the recruiter left the room and took the markers with her and i was not able to do it. Instead I just told her all the reasons why I wanted to work for Sky.   Answer Question

Assistant Financial Analyst Interview

Online application. The process has improved since I applied but it took some time to hear back - perhaps a couple of months. Invited for for a phone interview and spoke to a member of HR. Then invited to interview having passed the phone interview. The day consisted of a maths test and verbal reasoning that you had already done online. Followed by a series of presentations, group activities and individual competency based questions with a member of HR. You found out if you got the job soon after.

No negotiation allowed.

Senior Financial and Operational Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livingston, Scotland

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky in February 2014.

Contacted via a recruitment advisor from sky via LinkedIn. She didn't seem to understand what the role was, although was very nice. She took my cv and put me forward for an interview with the head of audit.

Interview Questions
    • How do i sell the need for an internal audit team to the chief executive?   View Answer

Football Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sky in January 2014.

Online application followed by telephone screening. Screening mainly asked why I applied and then just ran through what to expect in the interview. Interview wasn't too taxing. Mainly experience based questions and only one or two competency based ones. Nothing too hard to answer. Included a quiz and task at the end.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Sky in January 2014.

Was interviewed twice by phone for an analyst position at Sky Bet. First interview was to go over my skills and experience to date. Second interview was more how I would fit in to the team and what transferable skills I could bring.

Both interviews went well and I was optimistic. I followed up a few weeks later asking if there was any feedback as I had not heard from Sky since then and was told that they were still going through interviews and I would be informed within the next ten days. I never heard from them again. I found that very unprofessional from a leading UK company and put me off applying to them again which is a shame as I am a huge fan of their services.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sky.

online application,phone interview, 2 hour group interview

Interview Questions
    • making a presentation in 5 minutes on why you wanted to work for sky,   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Sky in November 2013.

Sky Engineering Academy

I applied online, and received further instructions a week later. I had to do a programming task home and had a week to complete it. Not the hardest thing I've done by far, but because I tried to ace it, it took me an unexpected amount of time (several afternoons).

After this, I was appointed for a phone interview, really short, they just wanted to confirm my personal data and to make sure I understood the conditions of the position. I was then scheduled for an assessment day, in which I was required to work with other candidates over the day. We would have people looking at what we were doing for the whole duration, but they were friendly and even offered help at times.

The tasks we were asked to do collectively were really fun, with even robots involved! The atmosphere was really friendly the whole time, I can't stress this enough.

There was also a small 1:1 interview in which they asked the usual personal questions (what is your worst defect etc...).

At the end of the day, they guided us through their campus and installations and let us talk with current employees to ask anything we wanted without anyone overlooking what questions we were asking.

Overall I couldn't be more impressed.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any hard questions, some of the candidates were not computer scientists and had little experience as programmers, although they had impressive backgrounds from top universities. They were much more interested in our attitude than our skills.   Answer Question
    Salary was made clear since beginning, didn't negotiate.