Sky

Updated 4 Dec 2014

3.2

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Sky.

I applied for the role via Sky's website and after a few months I had actually forgotten that I applied. I was happy to hear from Sky inviting me for an interview. The interview was conducted in a professional manner by the hiring manager who gave a detailed description of the role. My opinion of the interview was quite positive however, the fact that the only questions asked were knowledge based gave me the impression that developing talent is not part of Sky's ethos. Overall I enjoyed the interview process and it was a pleasure to have met the hiring manager who seemed very knowledgeable and someone I could have worked well with.
    After 2 rounds I was told that I would be contacted the following week with next steps. Unfortunately I have not been contacted to date. From other reviews on glassdoor Sky has a reputation of taking a long time to get back to candidates so if you are a potential candidate be prepared for long periods with no communication. Their HR contacts are also very difficult to reach by phone or email.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult questions involved being given a scenario and asked how I would handle it. so it was expected that I had in-depth knowledge of the market and how sky work.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sky.

Initial contact was fine- called and when I didn't pick up (I was driving) left a voicemail informing me that I had a telephone interview in a couple of days time. The recruiter then also sent an email confirming the date and time.

I replied to confirm that the date and time for the phone interview were fine. During this communication I was informed that (as long as I was successful) the next stage would be a face to face interview a few days after the phone call.

I had the phone interview as scheduled and again was informed that the next stage would be a face to face interview. When the call was concluded I was specifically informed "recruitment would be in touch with regards to the next stage".

I waited the next day and after hearing nothing all day, sent the recruiter an email just before the end of the day specifically asking them to confirm either way if I was to attend the interview (as I would need to make arrangements to be able to do so). I of course never had any response...

While of course I have had many interactions with recruiters when they never got back to me, I generally expect better from an internal HR person- especially when I specifically asked the question of them. My email was not replied to and I received no phone call. Considering they are representing what is a large corporate brand, I would have hoped for at least a one line "thanks but no thanks" email.

I have now had negative experiences both as a Sky customer and now as a prospective employee. Not impressed.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were as expected- just going over my experience/ CV.   Answer Question

Studio Graphics Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Isleworth, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Isleworth, England

One of the things I'd like to stress to anyone going through an interview process here, is that the HR/Recruitment department like to take their time when dealing with candidates. I personally took over 3 months from initial interview to getting my foot in the door. (even took a job in the interim to pay rent) Just be patient when the process is underway and always believe in better.

no negotiation

Software Engineering Academy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Sky.

1st - Application form with Competence Questions
    2nd - Programming test asking you to build a scheduler for a set of Tv programs within the time frame they allocate to you.
    3rd - Telephone interview asking how to went about doing the programming for the assignment they assign to you and how you could improve what you have done to make it better.
    4th - An assessment day which again is another programming task working in pairs. In this task they ask you to program again. People can struggle due to the pressure you are put under but if you know programming inside out this shouldn't be a problem.

Agile Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky in August 2014.

Got contacted by an in-house recruiter via email who saw my CV online and she sent me a small Java test to do. A week on and no feedback from the test I got invited to attend a face to face (final round), so I guess I did OK. The final round consisted of a pair test which was two guys sitting next to me, slightly confused as apparently collaboration isn't part of it, I always thought the point of pair programming is that you can bounce off ideas rather than going and just coding something. Second part was a very much untechnical interview with 3 people, I think the manager and 2 other devs. They asked mostly just about my last 2 roles and also asked me to draw an example of my work which with policies in place I don't feel like you can give too much away. I didn't pass the interview as I needed too much prompting with the sit down test and came across too un-technical with my explanation of my work although I wasn't asked about specifics about technologies used. I think coming to the office was an eye opener and speaking to developers there also made me put this role at the bottom of my list below other roles I'm interviewing for but each to their own.

Retention Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sky in August 2014.

Applied online and completed the online assessment which is basically just some situations and how you would handle them which is relatively easy!
    Then had a phone call in which some basic questions were asked e.g. if the hours were suitable, if I was eligible to work in the UK etc. Then on the same call was the phone interview in which you were asked some questions about situations in the work place and how you'd dealt with them previously e.g. "describe a time when you've worked as part of a successful team" and "describe a time when you've given good customer service" etc. Was informed on the same call that I'd passed the interview and invited in for an interview. I went on holiday for 2 weeks and rang to arrange a date for this when I returned.
    Then was my face to face interview.
    The first part of the interview was myself and 3 other candidates sat round a table while someone talked to us about sky in general and went over a few aspects of the job role.
    We then got spit into 4 rooms and told to do a presentation, we had paper, pens and some sheets with information with clues as to what they wanted in this presentation.
    There were four questions to answer in this part:
    Why Sky?
    Why You?
    Why Retention's?
    (I Cant remember the 4th but it was quite similar).
    Then there was the 'speed dating' part of the interview, where you spoke to 4 different interviewers about different areas. E.G. empathising with customers and why it was important. questions about customer services. How you would sell something to someone. ETC.
    Then the final part was the role play telephone call.
    You were given sheets with the products and packages sky offered and then a 'difficult customer' (one of the interviewers) would ring a telephone in the interview room and present an issue to you. You have one practice call which they give you feedback on and one real call which your marked on.
    The first was something like 'my husbands been laid off and I need to cancel as I have found cheaper elsewhere' and the second was ' I want to make a complaint about the last call adviser i spoke to... then... Ive found a cheaper deal for the same full package as yours... then they wanted to check their friends package to compare (which you refuse for data protection)".
    They then come down to the room and review the call with you.

Interview Questions
    • The phone calls were difficult as you have little product knowledge and are expected to answer as if you do.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky in July 2014.

Phone, followed by face to face technical interview with aptitude test. Was straight forward and mainly covered my skills and job spec and how I could fit in. Very technical interviews, very little non technical questions

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Sky in July 2014.

Coding Test
    Short Competency based Interview
    Long Assessment day

Coding test was easy but requires far bit of skills to put things together. I enjoyed completing my test. HR on the phone interview was friendly and helped me out throughout the process. Assessment day was long and tiring but was a good experience.

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Sky in July 2014.

I applied online and was called to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for a Friday 9am. I prepared and waited for the call. No one called. I tried to get in touch with the recruiters on Newcastle six times that day. I was always put on hold and no one answered. I got a call in the evening and re scheduled for a phone interview on Tuesday. They called and I passed the phone interview which was very easy. The I was invited for an assessment on Thursday at 11:15am. I arrived at 10:45am and went to the gate and informed them that I was there for an assessment. They asked me for a name but I did not have one. I was told that there was nothing they could do for me. I went to the other gate same story. I contacted the people in Newcastle again and they told me that I needed to go to the gate past the construction site. I did so and no one again was able to help me. By then it was 11:30am and they gave me slot for 2:15pm. I waited outside until 2:00pm and was picked up by a Beatrice. The interview was scheduled to last 2.5 hours. The questions were straight forward, why Sky and so one. I was well prepared since I researched the interview process and knew someone who was an employee there and interviewed candidates. Then we had to do a phone call exercise and the recruiter told me that I sounded very confident and she was impressed with my answers. Then the second interviewer came in around 5:15pm and said now "let's do the wash up". I found that to be rude and unprofessional. At 5:30pm we were released and told that we would get no feedback. The next morning I called at around 10:00am in Newcastle and thanked the company for the interview and within minutes I received the rejection notice. The way I was treated by this company was unacceptable and it proves that companies do not care about people. I can live with rejection but from the start this was unprofessional at best. This is bad advertisement and I will not recommend this company to anyone. I cancelled my service with Sky the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Why Sky? We were supposed to create a story board but the recruiter left the room and took the markers with her and i was not able to do it. Instead I just told her all the reasons why I wanted to work for Sky.   Answer Question

Assistant Financial Analyst Interview

Online application. The process has improved since I applied but it took some time to hear back - perhaps a couple of months. Invited for for a phone interview and spoke to a member of HR. Then invited to interview having passed the phone interview. The day consisted of a maths test and verbal reasoning that you had already done online. Followed by a series of presentations, group activities and individual competency based questions with a member of HR. You found out if you got the job soon after.

No negotiation allowed.