Sky Interview Questions

Updated 27 Mar 2015

3.2

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England).

Interview

Home coding test

A Paired programming excercise at Sky Offices. The worst part was how it ended, let's just say with a lack of politeness and manners. I hope it was an isolated incident.

The paired programming excercise tested abilty to write a good algorithm and examine how a candidate worked in a paired programming environment.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Sky.

Interview

Applied online, did a telephone interview the day after, passed that, I was then asked to attend an "assessment day" the day after. (I was assured that lack of time to prepare would not be a problem)?!
    The Assessment day was myself and another candidate that I saw for about 5 minutes. There were 6/7 different employees involved in the process?!
    I had to do a presentation on Why Sky. Why Me.
    I then had a competency based interview with 2 people (This was being timed on the interviewers phone).
    It was run by absolute monkeys. Not one person introduced themselves to me. I was led from one room to another and heard 2 recruiters talking about me.

The interview was so intense, anyone would think I was being interviewed for position as CEO.

I would avoid at all costs.

I thought maybe it was just me but I exchanged contacts with the other candidate and they had the exact same experience and exact same outcome!

Interview Questions

• We had to do a mock call which I thought went well, I was taken back to a room and asked to go through it. I was asked why I hadn't offered a HD package. I replied that when asked they had said they didn't have a HD tv. The lady that did the mock call denied this?! That threw me because I was confident in what I had said and because she messed up I had nowhere to go with it.   Answer Question

Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sky (Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online Friday. Had a missed call/email the next day to arrange phone interview.
    Phone interview Monday, basic questions, Why did you apply? What can you bring to the job? Any experience etc Passed this. Invited to assessment centre on the Wednesday morning. I was very nervous for this at first, but once it got started these nerves disappeared. There was only 2 of us on the day. Greeted by a lovely lady who talked us through the process of the day and the actual job role. We were then separated into two rooms and given 15 minutes to prepare a 'Why Sky?' presentation. This was literally 4 questions, Why Sky, Why me, Why this role and What motivates you at work.
    Once the 15 minutes was over a lovely lady came in and started the interview, she asked me basic work experience questions. Then I was given 5 minutes to give my presentation, she then took the notes from me as evidence I'd completed this task.
    In total the actual 1-1 interview process lasted about 30 minutes, with 4 people coming and going asking different interview questions, these were in 4 different 'sections', 'Work & education history' 'Give an example of when you've changed someones mind', 'Give an example of when you've had to work as a team' and 'Give an example of when you've had to show empathy with someone'
    After this I was taken back along to where the other candidate was a talked through the next stage which was the role play call. As there was only 2 of us this was done in our little rooms again with the assessor in the room rather than on a phone. The brief was to help the customer with their enquiry, as it was a sales role this was the customer wanting to upgrade to HD, and upsell if possible.
    We were given sheets of paper with all product information and various package prices so these were useful when on the call.

The whole process I found was very relaxed and all the ladies involved were very pleasant and friendly. I enjoyed the day and left feeling very confident.

I received an email the next day telling me I'd passed the assessment centre and would get a call as to what happens next after pre screening checks were carried out. I received this call the following Monday and was offered the position to start a week later.
    Overall from Applying to starting the job (tomorrow!), the process took 2 weeks.

The only down fall I'd say was the notice period, by the time I received the job offer the start date was only a week later, luckily I'm self-employed working for someone, so was able to only give a weeks notice to my boss, but for someone who needed 2-3 weeks notice for a current job this may be an issue.

Interview Questions

• 'Give an example of when you've had to empathise with someone, how did you do this and what would you change?'   1 Answer

Devops Engineer - Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Standard application questions after which in house recruiter called to ask for a suitable time for the telephone interview. Telephone interview was scheduled for 1 hour but only a 1/2 hour talk was told to be expected. Turned out to be only about 20 mins. Following the call was told that I passed the telephone interview and scheduled the assessment centre in two weeks time. The assessment centre was at Osterley with 3 other graduates. Fairly informal yet formal style. (if you know what I mean). Started off with ice breaker type group intros and later given an insight into the programme and Sky as an organisation. Followed by one non-assessed and one assessed group discussion. (Plan and discuss for the group exercise). 3-4 hours of Raspberry Pi based programming. One speed interview in the middle of the exercise. Presentation of results to their staff.

Interview Questions

• Why DevOps?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you have to deploy an application ready to be deployed on an urgent basis on number of servers? Describe the process or steps to follow.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you have to deploy an application on one server?   Answer Question
    • What if number of users are accessing an application at the same time? (Optimisation Techniques)   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with user data? (Storage and Processing)   Answer Question
    • Are you aware of any deployment tools/software?   Answer Question
    • Speed interview question- Did you ever miss a deadline? Tell me about that.   Answer Question
    • What kind of problems do you find difficult to deal with?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the time you faced a challenge and succeeded?   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Sky (London, England).

Interview

I had a telephone interview which went well so i was invited for a face to face. 3 people were at the other end for the telephone interview. It was both general and technical.
    Went for face to face. The atmosphere seemed very relaxed, casual dressing etc. was interviewed by panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky.

Interview

I applied online through their website, they replied two weeks after to arrange an initial phone interview. Once done the phone interview I have received the answer after 1week. The interviewer wasn't so kind to be honest.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe your university thesis ?   1 Answer

Interview

Filled in online application. Approximately 5 questions such as "Why do you want to join Sky?", "Why do you want to join the Strategy team?", "Identify one threat and one opportunity for Sky in the current market?". Fairly straight forward, I spent approximately 2 weeks on the Application to perfect it. After a week, I progressed to the next stage and was sent the Online Numerical Test which I completed. I believe out of 18 question I got 15 correct (Make sure you practise). However, after 2 Months and 3 Weeks I received an email saying "We’ve received a high volume of interest for our roles this year and the quality of applications has been exceptionally high. We’re sorry to tell you that you’ve not been selected to go through to the next stage".

Never had such a poor experience.

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livingston, Scotland

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Sky (Livingston, Scotland) in January 2015.

Interview

1st stage a computer multiple choice questionnaire eg what is a firewall
    2nd stage taken into a room on your own to do a presentation. Why sky, why you, qualities you have
    3rd stage interview with 4 different people
    4th stage role play in the call centre

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Sky (London, England) in January 2015.

Interview

Assessment day Interview:
    - Intro with the 2 recruiting staff: They were very good, very professional.
    - Live environment exercise: I was brought to the development area where you could see where and how the developers work. You are supposed to review the environment and comment on it whilst being observed by 2 Scrum Masters.
    - Interview with 3 Hiring Managers: Timed questions don't allow time to present own experience to these questions.
    - Agile Exercise with an actual team: 6 developers, they were very friendly and great to work with and know their stuff.
    - Round up with a Senior Development Manager.

In conclusion: Although you meet many people I felt it very impersonal, You don't get to speak about yourself or your experience, only conduct exercises and timed questions. I didn't feel it was the "people" company it tries to portray.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Sky in December 2014.

Interview

Online application followed by telephone interview.
    Didn't make it to AC.

The initial application requires a lot of research into the industry and how Sky compete - particularly for the marketing scheme. When it came to the telephone interview the questions were competency and company based, however from one example, you might get asked three questions about this situation, rather than having one example you can apply to one competency.

Interview Questions

• Application:
      What attracted you to working for Sky and why does this appeal to you?
      At Sky we offer a range of programmes and opportunities for graduates. What aspects of the Marketing programme appealed to you and why did you choose to apply for this specific programme?
      Competition to own the in home TV viewing experience has never been fiercer. Over the past 24 months a number of key events have occurred. These include competitors launching new on-demand equipment, the growth of online streaming services, multimedia capabilities on games consoles and an increase in the number of homes owning tablets and SMART TVs. What do you think are the key threats to Sky from market developments such as these? How should Sky respond to this increased competition?
      There’s no denying that life at Sky is full-on. The fast paced environment is exciting yet challenging and you’ll find that standards are high. We’ll expect and empower you to manage your priorities inside and outside of work.
      Please give an example of a time when you had multiple deadlines. Please highlight what you did to meet your targets.

Telephone:
      What is your favourite Sky Marketing campaign and why?
      Describe a time a disagreement occurred in a group and what did you do?
      What qualities do you need to succeed in this role?
      Why the Sky brand? What attracts you?

Answer Question