Société Générale Interview Questions

Updated 14 Oct 2014

2.9

Graduate Trainee, Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Société Générale in August 2014.

Originally applied as legal trainee for corporate & investment banking and I was turned down but a recruiter called me a month later in relation to a different trainee position that they felt better suited my skills and experience. The phone call was just a general chat about the position and then they emailed me the specification, I replied detailing my interest and an interview date was set. The interviewer was very pleasant, one of the lawyers that the successful applicant would be working under. Note, HR people did not interview me so I suspect they are just looking for someone that is keen and that they could work well with. The interviewer didn't ask any trick questions and most of the time was spent explaining the role and how the role plays within SocGen as a whole. Further, the interviewer emphasised that people normally only stay within this role for a year - it is to be viewed as an experience/stepping stone and realistically not as the start of a continued career within SG.

Credit Research Analyst () Interview

I applied for few internship roles, was not successfull but CV was stored and HR called me back 3 months later to offer me another role, closer to my previous work experiences and skills set. Took a writing test with 10 questions on calculating basic ratios and metrics (FCF, EBITDA, etc). Then met with two senior analysts via videoconference (was in Paris, job based in London). 10 days later, got a job offer

Interview Questions
    • give a brief financial analysis of this specific company/sector   Answer Question
    no room for negotiation

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Société Générale.

One numerical test online
    one phone interview conducted by hr
    and one interview at their london office

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Société Générale in November 2013.

Very quick action , online SHL test ,you need to prepare for it if you want to have the interview . Received the interview 2 weeks later after I finish the exam . Regular telephone question why this company why this position challenges how to deal with conflict situation etc. No technical questions . About 2 weeks later I received a reject mail .

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected Question : Did you apply other companies? I tell her the truth I got several on my list . I have a choice to chosen not to tell .   View Answer

IT Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale in October 2013.

Short telephone interview based on the values of the company and asked for examples to show that I was a good fit. The interviewer was very friendly and emailed afterwards to answer a question I had asked during the interview. Overall not that much preparation is needed and I think I didn't show enough motivation and the interviewer was aware that I had applied to a different division.

Interview Questions
    • What do you want to do in the long term? As I had not applied for this position I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in the long term.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Société Générale in September 2013.

Phone interview after online application. Met the team in one day, back to back interviews at the company's office. Mostly fit questions, technicals only from one team member, but all in kind spirit.

Fixed term contract.

Communications Assistant Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale in July 2013.

I have applied via efinancialcareers and have contacted the recruiter to follow up few days later. I had an initial conversation over the phone with the recruiter in order to have more details about the role itself and to discuss my current work situation and expectations. Few days later he has adviced me that the hiring manager wanted to meet me for an interview. I have an 1:1 interview the following Tuesday and the recruiter called me back the same evening to announce me that I've got the role! Very quick and clear hiring process.

No negociation - trainee contract with fixed salary and I was very happy with it.

Middle Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Société Générale.

CV and application screening, online tests with SHL, competency based interview
    - What motivated you about this program ?
    - Tell me about a time you faced a difficult decision

Intern Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Société Générale in December 2011.

there is a lot of intern in france who are applying all the time on the socgen website, so the competition is hard and the interviews are quite difficult.

Interview Questions
    • what is the vega sensitivity of a best of call?   View Answer
    no negotiation, it was an internship

Investment Banking Coverage Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Société Générale in June 2011.

I first met with the head of coverage support in London. She was pleasant and we had a nice long chat about the setup of coverage, recent developments and growth plans. I was able to expound on what I knew was currently happening at Soc Gen and what I had to offer. The role was for maternity cover and the industries covered were not my first choice as my main interest was in natural resources where the bank is strong.
    Nevertheless I decided to move forward and was shortlisted for the final round. The final round was a video conference with the Europe coverage support head and global coverage support head based in Paris who fielded questions around my experience and motivation for applying. We had a good chat but in the end I was informed they went with an internal candidate whose experience most closely related to the role.

Interview Questions
    • Since you have not worked directly in this area before, explain your understanding of what is expected and how you can fulfill the role.   View Answer