Social Security Administration
www.ssa.gov Baltimore, MD 5000+ Employees

Social Security Administration Claims Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Claims Representative Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details I completed an application on usajobs. 2 weeks later I was contacted for an interview. The interview was 1 hour long. Interview style was a panel, teams of 2 chatted w/ me about SSA and asked behavior questions. During the interview visit they had me complete hiring paperwork like tax forms and get my fingerprints done.

Interview Question – How would you describe the social security agency?   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details I was interviewed last week Thursday by a supervisor and a director. They were both nice and I felt really relaxed and at ease. They said they will give me 2 interview questions & 4 situations I need to answer( there's no right or wrong for the situation questions) . I was told it can take 3-6 months to hear from them. This process last about 30 mins. Then I was taken to a different floor for fingerprinting. I'm so anxious I want to hear from them but I know I have to wait, hopefully they will call me before to tell me my results.

Interview Question – If a mom comes in with her 3 small children who are not behaving and I'm not able to conduct the interview, what would I do?   View Answer

Buffalo, NY (US)

I interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2013.

Interview Details Not the best organization in the interview. Seemed to rely heavily on a script.

Reason for Declining – Got another offer. I would rather do something else.

Columbus, OH (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2009.

Interview Details I originally was an intern for two colleges during the summer. When I graduated I asked about potential openings and was notified they were hiring.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult challenge you have faced, and how did you overcome it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as salaries are set by the union and federal government.

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in January 2010.

Interview Details The aptitude test was very difficult and I understood that out of 240 people taking it, only 40 people passed it. The interview was much harder. They gave me the wrong office number (I think on purpose) and there was no one in the lobby to redirect me and they were not listed on the plaque of offices either. Then, when I got there four people were in the room. There was one who was totally silent, one good cop, one bad cop, and one who tried to illicit responses. All took notes. Bad cop pounced on me right out of the gate making me believe that I should show no empathy with SSI applicants - then, at the end one did a poor acting job as a turned down applicant and I was supposed to respond. It was all a sham. They also ask what do you do if someone who is repeatedly turned down for SSI and threatens to commit suicide to you? What do you do if you work in a gas station and there is a non-perishable food delivery out back, a long line of customers, you need to call another worker to come help - in what order do you deal with this? Many silly questions, and they were passing inside jokes after I gave some of my answers- don't ever say that you will send a memo out to communicate something with coworkers- they really joked about that. I felt like I had been through some type of strange psychological experiment when it was done, and I don't think I would want to work for any of the people in that room, except for maybe the bad actor. I imagine it is a good job, but SSA is going broke quickly- it may only be a five or ten year job anyway.

Interview Questions

• If someone who is repeatedly turned down for benefits and threaten to commit suicide, what do you do?   Answer Question
  • A client with three kids d who are behaving wildly cannot pay attention to what you are telling him/her, what do you do?   Answer Question

Claims Representative

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2010.

Interview Details I interviewed by phone with several people. Although some of the questions were difficult and challenging, the people were very friendly and answered my questions thoroughly.

Interview Question – Describe how you are able to manage stressful situations and juggle multiple priorities at the same time.   Answer Question

Nassau, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in March 2009.

Interview Details The Interview is Behavioral Based. i was ready for some of the questions because of Bloggers that had posted what they had experienced. I was ready for "A claimant comes in who has been denied benefits several times. They tell you that they are going to commit suicide, what do yo do?"

Interview Questions

• "A claimant comes in and tells you they are going to commit suicide because they have been denied benefits. What do you do?"   View Answers (2)
  • "A claimant comes in with her little children who are being very disruptive in the office. The mother (the claimant) cannot focus on the interview questions, what do you do?"   View Answers (3)
Interviews for Top Jobs at Social Security Administration

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Social Security Administration Claims Representative interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Social Security Administration employees and interview candidates.