Social Security Administration Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015
Updated 13 Apr 2015

2.9

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Two interviewers; meet and deal interview. Asked behavioral questions and situational questions about situations you are in and what you would do. Told you about the position and to be yourself

Service Representative () Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Lawrence, KS (US)).

Interview

I was referred by a university official as a great placement candidate for institutional work study/intern for the local Social Security Office. An appointment for an interview was scheduled with the office manager. Typical interview questions were asked. Nothing fancy. I think I was immediately offered the job based on my referral.

Claims Representative Interview

Interview

Do NOT bother applying if you are NOT a Veteran. I read all of the reviews on glassdoor and applied through USAJOBS. This job was posted as a (recent grad) position which means that anyone with a college degree has a chance. I have solid work experience and was expecting to at least get a chance for an interview. No response back after a month so I called the contact person on the online application to get feedback. She was very nice and stated that "You have not been selected to be interviewed nor do you have any chance of getting an interview as all of the candidates selected for the interviews are Veterans. They get priority". I understand that I was not selected for the interview as there may of been better qualified people but having ALL Veterans get interviews only for their status means they don't care if you have an education as long as you were a Veteran. Good luck to all of us when we need Social Security Benefits/Claims.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

It was a 3 person panel.
    Everyone was very nice, intelligent & organized.
    This was the 1st interview - supposedly, there's something called a "Meet and Deal" that comes next.
    The purpose of this one was to establish a behavioral baseline to see what kind of person you are.
    Expect scenarios and questions about hypothetical situations as well as standard interview questions.
    You will be expected to relate to various past experiences which seemed to focus on stress in particular.
    You would also be well advised to do at least some cursory research about SSA and the position for which you're applying.
    Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• There was a scenario where they handed me a paper to look over that gave a brief explanation of what SSA does.
      They give you 5 minutes (if you need it) and allow you to take notes, but it's very brief and comprehensive - you shouldn't have to.
      Then, they'll play the scenario as a prospective applicant and you have to succinctly explain to them the parameters of eligibility.

1 Answer

Attorney Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Interviews were conducted approximately three weeks after the application deadline. Applications were sent to a regional office in Atlanta, though the position was in a small office in Kentucky. Interviews were conducted by a supervisor in the local Kentucky office via telephone. The interviewer asked me to tell him about myself. I gave a brief description of my background including: where I was born, what schools I attended, highlights of activities in which I participated while in school, and work experience. I highlighted activities and experiences which related to my ability to do the job. The interviewer then gave information about the job, including responsibilities and benefits. Finally, he followed with 5-6 questions. The questions are all behavioral -based (i.e. describe a time that...). Following the interview, he told me that he would make recommendations to his supervisor, before sending the recommendation to the hiring office.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Social Security Administration? What makes you a good candidate? What weaknesses do you have?   1 Answer
    • Give an example of a time you had to deal with conflict in the workplace. How did you handle it?   1 Answer
    • What does excellent customer service mean to you? How would you provide it?   1 Answer
    • Have you dealt with someone being dishonest in work or school? How did you deal with the issue?   1 Answer

Benefit Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Really interesting interview process. They gave specific instructions on how to answer the questions. I had 3 people ask me a series of preset questions. Then they gave me a written exam with a 30 minute time limit. Interviewers were very pleasant and professional. The interview was a very good experience. They said it would take about two weeks until I hear the results. They told me they were interviewing about 4-5 people for each 1 position available.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral type questions, what would you do in this type situation or describe a time when...   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Dallas, TX (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Had my second interview with SSA for the contact representative position. They asked a few scenarios which were job based and how you would handle them. It was a multi-panel with 4 or 5 interviewers. Lasted about 15 minutes. Thought I did reasonably well. Said the position would be filled by the end of the month or early next month. I think this is basically a pass/fail interview.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Social Security Administration (Cleveland, OH (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied on USAJOBS and was contacted in one week for an interview. The interview was a panel style with 3 people and asked questions like :Describe how you deal with tough situations", "Tell us about yourself", "Describe a hostile situation you were in that you dealt wiith conflict"

Claims Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview

Applied online at USAjobs.gov in Dec 2014 got called for interview in a month. Met with two people, they were very nice but I couldn't get a read off them as to how I did. Still waiting for reply

Interview Questions

• They asked mainly behavioral questions. Give an example of a stressful suituation and how did you handle it.
      Name a time you and another employee had a conflict.

Answer Question
    • Gave me a passage to read for 5 min them asked me to explain   Answer Question

Contact Representative Interview

Interview

The process was fairly easy, interviewed by two people, they both asked behavioral based questions. The interview lasted about an hour. They both explain the job title detail very well. Overall positive experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you had a co-worker with different work values to you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

GS 5