Social Security Administration

Getting the Interview

44 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Social Security Claims Representative Interview

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details Application to USAjobs.com, referral letter, interview. During this period my application status changed from application received, reviewed, and received back again.

Interview Questions

• How would I help somone who applied for benefits but did not have a birth certificate and she was born outside of the US? or something close to this.   Answer Question
  • What would you do or how would you respond if you are busy with your work and someone ask you to help out with a project?   Answer Question

Contact Representative/Claims Representative Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details Emailed my resume. Was contacted within 2 weeks. Interview by a panel of 3. Was called by director day of first interview who asked if I wanted to be considered for another position she thought I'd be perfect for. I agreed and was invited for the second interview . Had the second interview 2 weeks ago and was told they are still interviewing.

Interview Question – The interviews were great because they were challenging. "Tell ,me of a time your strength helped you with a project and consequently tell me of a time when your lack of strength in an area was detrimental to a project"   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details I completed an application on usajobs. 2 weeks later I was contacted for an interview. The interview was 1 hour long. Interview style was a panel, teams of 2 chatted w/ me about SSA and asked behavior questions. During the interview visit they had me complete hiring paperwork like tax forms and get my fingerprints done.

Interview Question – How would you describe the social security agency?   Answer Question

Claims Representative Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Social Security Administration in April 2014.

Interview Details I was interviewed last week Thursday by a supervisor and a director. They were both nice and I felt really relaxed and at ease. They said they will give me 2 interview questions & 4 situations I need to answer( there's no right or wrong for the situation questions) . I was told it can take 3-6 months to hear from them. This process last about 30 mins. Then I was taken to a different floor for fingerprinting. I'm so anxious I want to hear from them but I know I have to wait, hopefully they will call me before to tell me my results.

Interview Question – If a mom comes in with her 3 small children who are not behaving and I'm not able to conduct the interview, what would I do?   View Answer

IT Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Social Security Administration.

Interview Details Hiring process Took 8 months from the time I submitted an application to the time I was hired. There was little to no communication during this time and I was eventually called with an offer.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Springfield, MA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in February 2014.

Interview Details Resume was submitted through a third party. I received a call the same day my resume was received, (not typical). Interview was set for four days out from that date. Upon arrival you musts sign a document regarding criminal past, delinquent federally subsidized loans etc.. The interview was conducted by the Area Director, His second and another manager. It was a somewhat relaxing atmosphere and the interviewers do their best to make you feel at ease. The interview was divided into 3 parts. First they ask about you with questions about your past work experience. They also asked what I knew about Social Security and what the administration does. Second they ask behavioral interview questions in a round robin style, each person asking a question in turn. Be prepared for this. If unfamiliar with these, research them. It is a big part of the interview. Lastly, they give you something to read and familiarize yourself with. They then role play a client and you must use the info to correctly handle the situation. After the interview is concluded they told me I would hear back from them in 3-4 weeks. If I was selected for the job, I would come in for full background check, fingerprinting etc. I am still waiting to hear back. It has been just about 3 weeks.

Interview Question – I did my homework and was prepared for all the questions asked. I researched Social Security and matched real life scenarios with all possible types of behavioral interview questions prior to the interview. I recommend you do the same.   Answer Question

Contact Representative
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Social Security Administration in August 2010.

Interview Details At the time I applied there were 4 supervisor asking general questions, some leading to personal questions. Then for the phone a supervisor calls and acts as a client and they see how you handle the client.

Interview Question – If you were going to a concernt to hear your favorite group somewhere far, and its during work schedule, you would you go to the concert or show up for work?   View Answer

Attorney Advisor Interview

Interviewed at Social Security Administration

Interview Details Communication via e-mail, telephone and in-person interview

Interview Question – Had interview with the Chief Judge of the office - mainly questions about my prior experiences and behavioral style questions.   Answer Question

Disability Examiner Interview

Interviewed at Social Security Administration

Interview Details I submitted an application. I was called in to take a timed, 3 section skills test. Though it's not a hard test, only about half of the people in the room passed. (My guess is some people aren't used to taking timed tests since having left college. However, since time management is key to this job, the ability to work quickly & accurately is important). Test results are given at the end of the test. You then schedule an interview for a different day. I was interviewed by a supervisor & case consultant. Interview questions were pretty standard.

Interview Question – This is not a job that allows any/much creativity. Will you be able to deal with this?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The starting salary is set.

Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Social Security Administration in September 2009.

Interview Details The environment is pretty relaxed, mostly female and usually friendly Just be honest and speak in a conversational tone. You will probably interview with the Operation Supervisor and District Manager. Relay how much you like or believe in public service and helping people.

Interview Question – You will probably be given a writing sample and scenario-based question to solve. Name a time you had to deal with a difficult person, client, or customer and how did you handle it?

What is your customer service approach, when dealing with diverse members of the public?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – This is entry level job, get the experience and federal entry gateway, then move on or up asap.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Social Security Administration

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Social Security Administration interview questions and advice. All 44 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Social Security Administration employees and interview candidates.