SoftLayer Interview Questions

Updated 10 Apr 2015

2.2

Server Build Tech Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

apply Through IBM - get a phone call. come in for the interview. talk about what the job in tails. decide on a work scheduled ( 3 shifts available 7-4, 3-12 and 11-8.) 1 manager to deal with lots of angry customers, over all relatively basic interview with lots of questions based on work experience. After the interview i got a offer via email.

Interview Questions

• this is not a typical 9-5 job   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got a job offer via email after interviewing

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

I applied through a very aggressive recruiting firm that they use. I was more than qualified for the position, however he seemed hesitant to submit me at the higher range of the salary range they were seeking.

Once I had the initial phone screen with the HR person, it was your typical HR questions. The she immediately scheduled me for a phone interview with the hiring manager.

I spoke to him the next day, and answered every question correctly. At the end of the interview he said he wanted to get me in for an in-person interview. I reminded him that I was not in the area, and he said that would be no problem. He told me he would still continue on with the next step of getting me another interview over a video conference. 2 hours later, I received a text message from the recruiter telling me they passed on me. Seemed odd after the conversation I just had with the hiring manager, but if this is the way the manager and the company does business, I want no part in it.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was about an 1 hour - Video conference. I think was ok , we both break the ice and talk about real matters such as previous jobs experience, what would you do if such such such cenario mostly management questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer (Austin, TX (US)) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied and took about 2 months, got an email and scheduled an interview. Interview was a 20 min Behavioral one with easy questions. They stressed that the job will be a hectic one with new projects occurring one after the other.

SBT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received an invitation for a web based interview. One week later, the interview was hold online. Only me and the site manager. Just asking simple questions and about me and my work history. The interview was straight, but I didn't feel any pressure. It was a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What makes you so special to work for us?   1 Answer

Server Build Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at SoftLayer (Santa Clara, CA (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on the official IBM website and got a voicemail on my phone three weeks later stating I am a potential candidate for the position. I scheduled an appointment one week later.

They ask the normal top 10 questions with the remaining time allocated for questions of your own for the interviewer. They explained how the business operated along with a typical workday during the interview.

Keep in mind that this position is an entry level position so pay may not be as high as you anticipate, but the job has a lot of capacity for learning new things. My impression was that this is a great place for growth as a new graduate into the workforce.

Soon after the interview, they conduct some background checks based on another application you have to fill out. Another couple of weeks of waiting after submission, I received an offer.

Interview Questions

Shift hours not to my liking. Cannot change once your preference is submitted during the interview. When offered the position, I was told I could not change to a different shift, but the option may be open down the line.

Storage Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX (US)).

Interview

I was approached by the HR recruiter for a position from this company in Linkedin. Then there was a phone interview and an in-person interview. They seemed very friendly and exhibited very cool personality and work culture seemed very laid back. This is a very promising company that was purchased by IBM in 2013. The interview was fairly technical and they seems to be interested in recruiting technically strong candidates.

Interview Questions

• How to troubleshoot NFS related issue ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

This was the only concern I have. They are offering 15000 less than the average market salary. I was hoping they would give a nice pay as they are NOW AN IBM COMPANY. But I did not negotiate as this is in Ideal location for me right next to my home and Dallas cost of living is considerably low and the job profile is very very interesting.

Abuse Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview

None. They took me off the streets with no prior experience in this field.

Interview Questions

• None. The interview was mere formalities given my prior experience and intelligence.   Answer Question

Customer Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at SoftLayer (Houston, TX (US)).

Interview

This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at SoftLayer (Dallas, TX (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

Basic phone screen for interns - overviewed data structures, object oriented programming. No coding required.