SoftLayer

Relevance Date Difficulty

Server Build Technician Interview

Server Build Technician
Santa Clara, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in September 2011.

Interview Details Got my call back for an interview about 6 months after applying completely out of the blue. Just one 20 minute interview with the Site Manager at the time. Very laid back interview, he was more interested in talking about my computer and gaming hobbies than anything related to the work or my technical background. It was in and out, and pretty unlike any interview I have done. Didn't hear a thing from them for about a month then again out of the blue got a call with the job offer.

Interview Question – The only real unexpected part of the interview was that in his opinion I was over dressed for the interview. Was sort of bizarre...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told there was absolutely no negotiations, the offer was take it over leave it.

Storage Administrator Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview Details I was approached by the HR recruiter for a position from this company in Linkedin. Then there was a phone interview and an in-person interview. They seemed very friendly and exhibited very cool personality and work culture seemed very laid back. This is a very promising company that was purchased by IBM in 2013. The interview was fairly technical and they seems to be interested in recruiting technically strong candidates.

Interview Question – How to troubleshoot NFS related issue ?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This was the only concern I have. They are offering 15000 less than the average market salary. I was hoping they would give a nice pay as they are NOW AN IBM COMPANY. But I did not negotiate as this is in Ideal location for me right next to my home and Dallas cost of living is considerably low and the job profile is very very interesting.

Intern Interview

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in March 2013.

Interview Details Basic phone screen for interns - overviewed data structures, object oriented programming. No coding required.

Abuse Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview Details None. They took me off the streets with no prior experience in this field.

Interview Question – None. The interview was mere formalities given my prior experience and intelligence.   Answer Question

Customer Support Technician Interview

Customer Support Technician
Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview Details This was a short panel interview with a manager for the department and a team manager. Questions focused on technical knowledge and soft skills for managing interactions with customers.

Interview Question – What do you do when you have an irate caller?   Answer Question

Server Build Technician Interview

Server Build Technician
Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in August 2011.

Interview Details I received an email from the site manager while I was still working at another job. After calling him and talking a little bit on the phone we realized that there would be no increase in my pay by coming to SoftLayer, but the location and benefits, as well as the type of work I would be exposed to were enough to make it worth my while. I came in for an interview and was impressed with the layout of the office and the datacenter as well as the relaxed mentality and attitudes of the employees. The interview went well and only took about thirty minutes. I emailed him later to thank him for the interview and he got back to me about two weeks later with a date he wanted me to report to HR.

Interview Question – "Tell me everything you know about computers"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – starting pay for this position is non-negotiable but once you get in and prove yourself your yearly review is where you can re-negotiate

CST Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer.

Interview Details Three managers will interview you and ask you different questions regarding hosting. The interview is fairly short and to the point. They need bodies in the call center to support their terrible service.

Interview Question – Do you know linux, cPanel/WHM and Plesk   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They going to pay you what they want to pay you, no negotiation

Data Center Technician Interview

Data Center Technician
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at SoftLayer in October 2009.

Interview Details I seriously laughed. It was two guys sitting you down in a room questioning you about the simplest technical questions. They try to intermediate you, I started laughing halfway through. I guess I'm just not used to Texas and how things are done there.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation allowed, I took my $12/hr since I was broke.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at SoftLayer in January 2012.

Interview Details Got a call through oncampus career fair. Went to onsite for the interview. 3 people started interviewing me about my projects on resume and experience and my work on Webservices in PHP.

Interview Question – designing webservice in PHP using REST or SOAP.   Answer Question

Senior MS SQL Database Administrator Interview

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at SoftLayer in October 2009.

Interview Details It involved a team interview in several parts that took several hours. 2 or 3 team members interviewed me at a time. Only one was a database administrator and all others were OS technicians, engineers. The network/OS people had easy questions. The DBA had a few tough ones but I thought then and now that he was wrong on most of them. The DBA acted very aggressively and I should have had a warning bell go up but didn't.

Interview Question – Detail what occurs during a DBCC CHECKDB command. In hind site this was rediculous because the DBA who interviewed me had turned off all database consistancy check jobs on all customer servers because he didn't understand what the previous DBA had done. It would up being an example of customers paying for something they weren't getting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My direct manager indicated that my rate was higher than they could pay. I indicated that it was a minimum for me. He asked they would like to make an offer but should he even take the effort to get it through HR since there was no way they could meet my rate. He asked if he should even make the call to me if the rate was lower. I told him not to bother and never expected a call with an offer at my rate. They escallated to the CEO prior to Lance and he approved it.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SoftLayer interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews are posted anonymously by SoftLayer employees and interview candidates.