Southwest Airlines Intern Interview Questions

Updated 3 Apr 2015
Updated 3 Apr 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

I applied online in November and didn't hear back until February and set up a phone interview with my main recruiter. The call lasted about 30 minutes and the recruiter was super friendly and made me feel very comfortable. She started off by telling me a little more about the position and then we went over my resume. I made sure to know the job description front and back so I could apply my experience to the position I was interviewing for. She asked me questions such as:
-name a time you were in a conflict with someone and how did you handle it.
-why your major?
-why pursue this internship verse a full-time position?
-what have you learned from these experiences?
-why southwest?
It went well because at the end of the phone call she said they wanted to fly me out to interview in person. There I brought my letters of rec and my "why Southwest" essay.
At the interview I was with the same recruiter and the person I would be reporting to. They both were laid back and made me feel at ease. We again went through my resume so the manager could get to know me and was asked a few more situational questions:
-what was your least favorite thing you did in your previous internship experience?
-what's your weakness? (Answer this and spin it with a positive)

They do a good job of making sure you are comfortable so they can see the real you.

About a week later I got a call back and was told I was right for Southwest but not that particular position so my recruiter asked if I would be interested in a different position that better suited my skills. I set up another phone interview with her and the managers and went through the same questions and my resume. I made sure to do my research and offer any suggestions on the particular project I would be working on if selected as an intern. They liked that I already had ideas.

I was called back almost immediately with an offer.

Overall the entire experience was so laid back and friendly. Southwest doesn't just hire for the position, they hire the person and if they think you fit in with the culture, they will find a place for you which is why it's so important to just be yourself.
A

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Southwest Airlines

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)).

Interview

The interview process was long but straightforward. Once you speak to a recruiter and go through a phone interview, if they are interested they will fly you to Dallas to meet you in person. Usually, interviews are in a small room with a recruiter and hiring manager(s). Overall very conversational, they are a laid back company and try to convey that image from the moment you walk into the building.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?
      Why Southwest?

1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online. The entire process took a little over 3 months. I uploaded my resume, then I heard back from them a month later asking me to write a "Why Southwest" essay. I later had a phone interview, and if you pass that then they will fly you to their headquarters in Dallas.

Interview Questions

• The questions were typical interview questions. Why are you a good fit for Southwest? What is your biggest weakness? They also asked about my previous internship a lot.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, basic questions on my resume and coursework. Then asked some basic HR questions. Then was followed up with another phone interview going into position details. Was called back a month later and invited for a in person interview in Dallas.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in October 2014.

Interview

Schedule a time and one week later take a Phone interview with an HR person. Ask many questions about your resume, projects, classes, internship experiences, leadership experience. Questions are not so hard. No behavior questions, only regular interview questions. It is about 20 min. Then wait for the next process, on site interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview

Several phone interviews, then face-to-face interview in Dallas. I had a very positive experience meeting a panel of employees from the market planning department in person. Recruiters were very friendly, both on the phone and in person.

Interview Questions

• Interesting question about the intersection of Southwest and the arts.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines (Dallas, TX (US)).

Interview

Phone interviews followed by in person interviews in Dallas with recruiter and members of department you will be working in.

Interview Questions

• Asked for specific examples of hard skills I mentioned   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

First Phone Interview, and one on one interview in HDQ, Dallas TX.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview

Recruiters are very very friendly. They will comfort you very well before starting the interview.

1. Phone interview: basic and similar questions are asked -
    a. Why SWA
    b. Why applied for this position
    c. Why course (you pursuing)
    d. Why university (you going to) - sometimes

2. On shore interview
    Go through the whole resume, word to word, project by project, experience to experience.
    May again ask from above questions.

This is the same format for interview going on.
    So, just be you and confident. If you fit, you be hired, you'll not. No gimmick, nothing extra. very simple and straight forward process.

Interview Questions

• Why SWA.
      Do not fake, or mug up anything. Be genuine and say confidently.

1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation