Southwest Airlines

Updated 20 Jan 2015
Updated 20 Jan 2015

2.8

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2015.

I filled out an online application. A couple days later I got an email to fill out a more detailed online application. I was called for a phone interview the next week. I was scheduled for a face to face interview the following week. I went to the face to face interview and was interviewed by an HR person and a ramp agent supervisor. They asked me about my work history, the duties of the position, three qualities a ramp agent should have, my willingness to do mandatory OT and shift work, my past experience with OT and shift work, how I handled a disagreement with a coworker, what I thought the most difficult part of the position was, and more. They said they had more interviews to do this week and would get back to me next week regardless if I was hired or not They were very friendly and professional.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

The process is one of complete evaluation. When I interviewed they had it at a hotel where hundreds of applicants showed up. After registration the first step was as a group of about 15-20 applicants, to go into a separate room with a 3 person panel. We had to stand up, introduce ourselves and tell a story about when... The story didn't really matter, it was your delivery of your story, how you engaged the rest of the people in the room, and whether you were comfortable speaking to strangers. Another thing you were being judged on is when it wasn't your turn to speak, that you were polite and listened to the other applicants.

If you made it past that part of the interview, because they eliminated people at that point, you had to do a one on one interview with 2 interviewers. The questions were the typical tell me about a time questions (work related). The questions from each interviewer were the same but worded differently. Make sure that you answer the questions honestly and similar. The interviewers will compare your answers and then you will either be asked to stick around for the next step or to leave.

The final step if you made it, was to schedule a drug test and to allow a back ground check. They will NEVER tell you that you are going to be given a flight attendant class date. You won't know until you are called by the training department. You basically are at their mercy as to when you go to training. If you decide the date is not convenient for you, you may be passed up and not called again.

Interview Questions
    • Training was probably the most difficult with the hiring process. The airline owns you and you must adapt. If you can't, don't apply. Timeliness, attitude, adaptability, emotions, and testing all need to be really good. If not, you will be removed from class. Remember, they are looking for people who will be great at customer safety and service. They don't need people who are going to cause problems for the company. Also, remember that there are thousands of other applicants that want to be in the position you are in. Be grateful that the best airline in the industry has chosen you to join their company. If you have a great attitude about life, you will love this job.   Answer Question
    Be available. If you want the job, then go after it. Just remember, the airlines now owns you and you don't have a lot of negotiation as to your schedule. If you are the type that can't give up that control, DON'T apply. The industry is tough, but this company is great.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

There was phone interview and a group interview if you did well on the phone interview. It wasn't a difficult interview if you came prepared. The interviewers were extremely friendly and attentive to what I had to share with them. It is a great representation of the wider company.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Was called for the phone interview, the people who interview you on the phone don't work specifically for Southwest so expect a very dry tone. Speak clearly and take your time because they will misinterpret things you have said, I was then moved on to Face-Face interview (no pressure just smile and be bubbly), and then was given a verbal offer for the job

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions are difficult, just alot of customer service questions to prove you can handle working in a busy environment   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Best to apply online. Just be yourself and once you get in the company you can move around both position wise and location. There is also a 6 month probation time. Huge background check.

Interview Questions
    • There is a lot of overtime to work and they have what they call "mandatory overtime" so be ready to work the holidays at first.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2014.

Long! I filled out my application December 2013 and did not receive an email until Thanksgiving 2014. I responded to the email by giving work history and current and previous addresses. Got a phone interview about 2-3 weeks later and immediately got a face to face interview in oakland . My phone interview was On a Thursday and my face to face in Oakland was that next Wednesday . I was so nervous, but upon arrival the atmosphere at the people department was great! Everyone was so friendly ! I did wait a while prior to my interview but was hired on the spot!
    While there I had to do a few simple tests , and gave my drivers license , college degree and social security card. Did my fingerprints and went for a drug screening the next day. Make sure there are no gaps and your app is filled out in its entirety. Background check took approximately two to three weeks. Now I'm off to training and cannot wait to start my career with southwest !

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how did you solve the situation   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The entire process took a little over 3 months. I uploaded my resume, then I heard back from them a month later asking me to write a "Why Southwest" essay. I later had a phone interview, and if you pass that then they will fly you to their headquarters in Dallas.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were typical interview questions. Why are you a good fit for Southwest? What is your biggest weakness? They also asked about my previous internship a lot.   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Southwest FA hiring process is more interested in getting to know you. It's very relaxed. It's a panel of 3 that includes FA, FA Supervisor, and Recruiter. Pretty much ask questions based on the Star Format

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult, interview was more like a conversation. I was asked why I wanted to be a Flight Attendant.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Started with a phone interview, basic questions on my resume and coursework. Then asked some basic HR questions. Then was followed up with another phone interview going into position details. Was called back a month later and invited for a in person interview in Dallas.

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in November 2014.

got a call from one of the recruiters and he was rushing the call. asked me about my previous jobs and asked me simple questions of how i would handle different scenarios then he said he would let me know the next week for a face to face so im waiting.

Interview Questions
    s low pay and no negotiation