Southwest Airlines

Average Difficulty
161 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Question – Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details they let unexperienced supervisors do the interviews

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in July 2011.

Interview Details The interview process was pretty straight forward. Filled out an online application, and received a call from an internal recruiter for a phone screening which lasted about 10 minutes. The interviewer asked standard questions about my work background and explained the basics of the job requirements. While still on the phone with me she asked me if I would be available for an in-person interview the following week.

The in person interview was with the station manager and two recruiters. They all asked standard questions about my background and work experience. They asked for lots of stories and examples of previous times you've solved a problem creatively, or dealt with an unhappy customer.

I think the most important thing to remember when interviewing for this position is to make sure you show your outgoing and fun personality. I know that interviewers disqualify people based on this. The culture at SWA is very important to the company, so make sure you prepare some fun/funny stories to impress on that end.

After the panel interview I went a couple weeks without hearing back, but was finally asked to fly to Dallas to be fingerprinted and have a drug screen at a local screening place.

Interview Question – Standard interview with no difficult questions, just be prepared with stories of past customer service experiences and be a bit bubbly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Union position, so you are on a standard pay scale. To start was $11.50 if I remember right.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Sent in application and then got an email form a recruiter asking for available time for an interview and a copy of my resume. During the phone interview I had asked the interview to repeat two questions because i could not hear or understand the interviewer. For one of the questions, the interviewer said in a very quiet voice, "Oh, maybe you don't know that yet." and that one one of the questions I could not hear the interviewer at all. The interviewer quickly went to the next question after saying that. I felt that i did not go to the next phase because of that question.

Interview Question – (could not hear or understand the question)   View Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Flight Attendant
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

Interview Details LA feb 2014 open house interview. 400 people showed up for open house. you had to go in front of 50 people and introduce yourself and say why you want to be FA. you have to appear very confident and happy and smile a lot. maybe 10 people got invited to F2F interview. Including the ones that crack the most jokes.

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Maintenance Material Management Intern Interview

Maintenance Material Management Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details Contacted after about 2 months and scheduled for a phone interview. Phone interview was very basic, asking about yourself. After that, they will fly you to Dallas for another interview. I had interview with two people and they are asking about myself. It was a very chill interview and people in Southwest are very friendly.

Interview Question – Asking about projects I have worked on, experience, knowledge about the software used for the job   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Revenue Management Analyst

Interviewed at Southwest Airlines

Interview Details Phone Screening interview with Recruiter then a group interview with 30+ candidates where you are asked typical interview questions. Then the group was tasked with various group challenges which measured a person's ability to interact with others. This was followed by an individual interview with 2 managers and 1 Recruiter. Final step was a group interview with a number at director level.

Interview Question – We want to enter a new market. How would you determine the appropriate fare structure for this market?   Answer Question

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler Interview

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler
Dallas, TX (US)

Interview Details I applied online, contacted by a recruiter 1 - 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview.
Phone screening consisted of the recruiter outlining the position, me talking through my resume, and some casual conversation. Very relaxed, just be personable and know the position, your resume, and Southwest inside and out.
I was also contacted for the In-Flight Crew Scheduler opening. The phone interview was a similar format, but the second was much more personality driven - the recruiter had lots of energy and was obviously looking to tap into your personality as part of the screening. (I was not contacted to interview in-person for this position, I believe due to the forthcoming offer for the other opening)
I was contacted for an in-person interview for the Flight Ops Crew Scheduler position. They were flexible, I had to reschedule once due to my work schedule. I interviewed with the phone screening HR interviewer and the hiring manager. Similar format to the phone screening: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Southwest-type of questions. Also mixed in were some 'tell me about a time when...' questions, basically seeing how you would react in challenging situations related to the job. I must have interviewed with the same folks as the interviewee in the previous post, as the hiring manager was obviously very tired (eyes glazed, head-bob, just struggling), but knowing their schedule I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued talking, focusing on the HR manager.
They gave me the opportunity to ask a few questions about the position (highly recommend good, thought-out questions, they seemed to appreciate the opportunity to talk more about the opening and company), which was engaging and also brought the hiring manger back to life, then the interview was over.
Overall a good impression, friendly folks and a great company from what I hear/read.

Interview Question – What do you think will be most difficult in your transition into this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they were very up front about the salary from the beginning.

Senior Planning Analyst Interview

Senior Planning Analyst

I applied in-person and interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Interview Details Started with a phone interview and then two in person interviews (3-4 people in each) followed by a job offer.

Interview Question – lot of scenario based questions   Answer Question

Flight Ops Crew Scheduler Interview

Flight Ops Crew Scheduler
Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

Interview Details I was tipped off by a friend in the crew scheduling dept that there was going to be a posting so I was eagerly waiting for it. Sure enough, it showed up and I applied. I was contacted about a week later by a recruiter, who setup a time to conduct a phone interview. The phone interview started with the recruiter asking me what I thought were the position responsibilities (be sure you research this if you don't know) and he asked me what i thought the biggest challenges in the role would be. Then he worked back through my resume, asking me to describe what I did at each airline and why I left. Southwest hires more for fit than other companies so be sure that you are modeling their company values within your experience and answers (warrior spirit, servant's heart, fun luv-ing attitude - once again, do research so that you know what those are). I thought I bombed the phone interview because I resigned in my last position and my answer wasn't as concrete as it should have been. To my surprise I was contacted a few days later via email that I made it to the face-to-face in Dallas. (They flew me out (must-ride), it was strange having a confirmed seat when I'm so used to non-revving.) Face-to-face was the recruiter and manager in the crew scheduling dept. I was completely prepared and felt calm. About 15 min into interview the manager was falling asleep. I couldn't believe it! No head bob but the eyes were glazed and lids going up and down. I wanted to laugh but instead focused my attention on the recruiter, who was awake and engaged. Face-to-face took about 35 min.

Interview Question – Pretty much standard interview questions, behavioral focused questions. If you write out as many experiences where you went out of your way to help a customer, went above and beyond what is required, took initiative, made a quick decision, found a new solution, etc you will be able to answer any of the behavioral questions fairly easily with an example.   Answer Question