Southwest Airlines

Updated 19 Nov 2014
Updated 19 Nov 2014

2.8

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bwi Airport, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bwi Airport, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in March 2014.

I applied online for the position soon as I seen it on their website because they don't keep their jobs posted for long. I received a email about three days later asking if i was still interested in the position, I replied but didn't hear anything back for another two weeks. I got a email asking to set up a phone interview which I did. The phone interview was about 8 mins long, she first asked me about my past jobs just to find out they time of work i did there. Then she explained the position to me and the pay rate which is only $11 something to start and she said it will take about 11 years to reach $21. I wasn't to happy to hear that but she then went on to explain that when you first start you have no set schedule you will just get the days thats left after the senior employs pick their schedule. They do have a lot of overtime for this position. About a week later i got a email asking to set up a F2F interview which I did. It was just me and the lady that I have been communicating with, she said that they was short staff and thats why because its normally her and two others giving the F2F interview. The F2F went well we just talked about my past jobs and she asked me three questions. They were very easy questions like how do you have fun on the job, how do you go out your way for a customer and how do you deal with a angry customer. Im waiting to hear back to see if I will be moving on with the hiring process which is a background check for jobs, school and criminal.

Interview Questions
    • Non of the questions was difficult just make sure you smile and be bubbly because thats what they are looking for.   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Phone Screening interview with Recruiter then a group interview with 30+ candidates where you are asked typical interview questions. Then the group was tasked with various group challenges which measured a person's ability to interact with others. This was followed by an individual interview with 2 managers and 1 Recruiter. Final step was a group interview with a number at director level.

Interview Questions
    • We want to enter a new market. How would you determine the appropriate fare structure for this market?   Answer Question

NoLimits Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

The online application opens up for about a month six months before the internship semester begins. Following the online application, you will be notified regardless of whether you move or not. If chosen to move on, a recruiting coordinator or someone similar will contact you for a phone interview with the recruiter hiring for the position. It lasts about 20 minutes and he/she asks basic interview and follow up questions on your resume. Following the phone interview, you will be notified if you move on for an in-person interview at HQ. Again, pretty basic question and follows an unstructured format. They go down your resume and asks you to expand on your experience and duties and ask probing questions to get a better understanding of how you work, how you like to be managed, and to try to gauge the breadth of your knowledge.

Since the initial contact from the recruiting coordinator, the whole process took 2.5 weeks. However, be patient because they receive literally thousands of applications! I submitted my application in November and did not hear back until February.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked why I chose my major (they want to see your Warrior Spirit!) and what classes were my favorite and most difficult. Lastly, and they also ask this during the phone interview, is why you chose Southwest Airlines.   Answer Question
    Not open to negotiation.

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in February 2014.

LA feb 2014 open house interview. 400 people showed up for open house. you had to go in front of 50 people and introduce yourself and say why you want to be FA. you have to appear very confident and happy and smile a lot. maybe 10 people got invited to F2F interview. Including the ones that crack the most jokes.

Senior Planning Analyst Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Started with a phone interview and then two in person interviews (3-4 people in each) followed by a job offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2014.

Phone screen then flown out for in person interview. No coding. When they say they will get back to you in a certain timeframe they mean it. You'll never be left wondering if you will be moving forward or not.

Interview Questions
    • Be yourself and have fun. They want you for who you are, not necessarily your expertise. They know they can mold the right person and teach you what you don't know.   Answer Question

Safety and Security Position Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in January 2014.

Recruiter phone call/interview highlighting that the resume had floated to the top and discuss the interest of relocating. A follow on face to face interview was scheduled with the hiring manager and recruiter followed by a panel interview with directors and VP.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself and how can you be a contribution to our company?   Answer Question
    • Please give us an example of when you were able to resolve opposing opinions by two separate departments to a common outcome or goal.   Answer Question
    • Based on your resume one is the one thing you feel your MBA has contributed to your professional career or one thing that stands out from its curriculum?   Answer Question
    • At Southwest by our values and mission statement have a very relaxed culture and atmosphere, how do you plan to unwind in this type of environment?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

First Phone Interview, and one on one interview in HDQ, Dallas TX.

Flight Operations Crew Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Southwest Airlines in December 2013.

I applied online, contacted by a recruiter 1 - 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview.
    Phone screening consisted of the recruiter outlining the position, me talking through my resume, and some casual conversation. Very relaxed, just be personable and know the position, your resume, and Southwest inside and out.
    I was also contacted for the In-Flight Crew Scheduler opening. The phone interview was a similar format, but the second was much more personality driven - the recruiter had lots of energy and was obviously looking to tap into your personality as part of the screening. (I was not contacted to interview in-person for this position, I believe due to the forthcoming offer for the other opening)
    I was contacted for an in-person interview for the Flight Ops Crew Scheduler position. They were flexible, I had to reschedule once due to my work schedule. I interviewed with the phone screening HR interviewer and the hiring manager. Similar format to the phone screening: walk me through your resume, what do you know about the position, why Southwest-type of questions. Also mixed in were some 'tell me about a time when...' questions, basically seeing how you would react in challenging situations related to the job. I must have interviewed with the same folks as the interviewee in the previous post, as the hiring manager was obviously very tired (eyes glazed, head-bob, just struggling), but knowing their schedule I gave him the benefit of the doubt and continued talking, focusing on the HR manager.
    They gave me the opportunity to ask a few questions about the position (highly recommend good, thought-out questions, they seemed to appreciate the opportunity to talk more about the opening and company), which was engaging and also brought the hiring manger back to life, then the interview was over.
    Overall a good impression, friendly folks and a great company from what I hear/read.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be most difficult in your transition into this company?   View Answer
    No negotiation, they were very up front about the salary from the beginning.

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Southwest Airlines.

Hiring process is pretty simple. The thing with Southwest is so many people apply. They only post the jobs for a couple of hours once they post. Generally they email most of the applicants who are able to apply for the brief job posting for a phone interview. If the phone interview goes well they will actually call you back for a face to face interview. If the phone interview didn't go well or you weren't selected they will email you. If you are selected for the face to face it generally is a panel interview which is very relaxed. If they decides to select you they will ask to finger print you either then. If not they will let you know they are reviewing applicants and most likely you will receive a thanks but no thanks email.

Non negotiable Union