Staples Interview Questions

Updated 26 Sep 2014
Updated 26 Sep 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples.

I applied online. After a few days I got a call back asking to come in for an interview, I set it up for the next day and I thought things went well. I talked to one of the managers, we got along really well, he asked me a few questions, like what I was doing at my last job and how that went. And that was about it, after that he asked what I would want for hours, asked me if I had any questions, and we chatted about how humid it had been recently. As I was walking out he thanked me many times. All in all it was a nice interview and things went well, but I never heard back. He said he had to talk to the other manager and would then call me within the next few days. Its been about 2 weeks, I've tried calling and got nothing, no answers. Fairly disappointed.

Interview Questions
    • There were almost no questions for me. It was very casual.   Answer Question

EasyTech Associate Interview

Two different interviews with the General Manager and the Sales Manager. Was hired on the spot after the second interview.Went in for training the following week and began working the next day.

Copy and Print Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Staples.

Applied and was called a few days later, went in. Interview was for 15 minutes. Got called a week later and was hired. Did a background check and started training right away.

Interview Questions
    Was offered more than I had asked.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Staples.

I applied online and was contacted a few days later by corporate recruiter. The interview went fine and she was very professional. I was contacted about one week later by the hiring manager setting up a phone interview. I was prepared and ready. I had the experience, acumen and drive I knew they were looking for and I felt confident this would go well. Guess what? it went terrible! From the start I got the impression the hiring manager was "checking" the box with his questions. I tried several times to get him to laugh or offer his vision for this position and the only answers I got were "cool" and "o.k". I also got the feeling I knew more about how to do this job than him. I believe he had made up his mind way before our call and it turned out to be 20 minutes of my life I will never get back. He told me at the end of our call that he was in no rush to fill this opening and he was taking his time to make sure the candidate fits with the current team. Those words was the nail in my coffin LOL! I sent the standard thank you email to him and after about a week with nothing not even a "buzz off" I reached out to the recruiter (who reached out to him I'm sure) for feedback and was sent the standard "your skills don't match what we want...blah blah blah".

Interview Questions
    • Was not asked one difficult question. Was not asked to discuss sales strategy or how to go about reaching decision makers or how to turn customers into power sponsors. I got scripted questions with no feedback from the hiring manager. His mind was made up prior to the interview.   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Staples in September 2014.

Applied in Mid August, got the call september 1st. Laid back interview, manager was aiight and we got along, it was pretty friendly and loose, not a structured question intensive interview.

no negotiation.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Victorville, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Staples in September 2014.

I applied roughly almost 2 months ago and I received a call on 9/22/2014 to schedule an interview the following day.
    1. Tell me about yourself.
    2.Tell me an incident when you went above and beyond the call of duty? They then told me that being a Sales Associate, you will mainly be on the cashier.
    3. Then they gave me a math problem.
    4.Then they said do you have any questions for me?

Interview Questions
    • Nothing Unexpected! Very easy interview. But it lacked Substance.   Answer Question

Resident Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Staples.

Relaxed interview. Mostly they want to know if you have basic knowledge of computers and ability to sell additional items with electronics. There is also a test they have you take that makes you "certified" meaning you will be qualified to work on computers

Interview Questions
    • What was a past conflict with coworker and how did you handle it.   Answer Question
    There was a bit of room in wages, not much.

Sales Associate Interview

The process was standard of most retail stores. They look for certifications and/or cash handling experience when deciding best fit. I was offered another position after discussing my abilities. Pay for this company is difficult and is set in a range of averages. You should be prepared to know what you want coming in or you will get the short end of the stick. Though I felt more qualified then the people working there, it is still important we show respect to our seniors.

Interview Questions
    • Why is staples the place you chose to work? This is a standard question for most retailers but again this is were you can shine and show that you really do wan't to work here. At least we would hope you wan't to work here.   Answer Question

Little room for pay negotiation at many of these places.

Picker At Warehouse Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Staples.

I actually had to go through a staffing agency to get the job. For some reason it was more difficult applying through the company. They were looking for summer help, and it was perfect since it allowed me to earn money for school. They hire summer help every year due to back to school. The interview was quick and I only had to fill out a form, show up, and get briefed by the staffing agency.

Interview Questions
    • None. They just ask you about your previous work experience. This is a warehouse job.   Answer Question

Tech Aassociate Part Time Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Staples in August 2014.

I applied in person had to fill out a application in the store. I received a call back the next day under 24 hours looking for an interview. Once completed I was called the same day to schedule a second interview. Which took place the following day. The first interview asked normal questions that any employer will ask. The second was pretty much the same thing it was a different person who interviewed me and asked very few questions. That same day I got a call back saying I got the job. Overall it was a great experience I really like how staples was quick at the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • What are you interests?
      Why do you want to work at staples?
        Answer Question
    I was looking for part time so I was looking for minimum wage.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!