State Farm Interview Questions

Updated 14 Apr 2015
Updated 14 Apr 2015

2.7

Investment Intern Interview

Interview

Partook in 2 separate rounds of interviews. The first round was an on campus interview prior to submitting resume to HR through online application process. The second round took place at the State Farm Headquarters. It was a series of two on one interviews with members of the department averaging about a half hour each.

Interview Questions

• What do you do to stay current on financial news and tell us something that is currently going on and how you think it will affect the market's future.   Answer Question

I decided to pursue other opportunities because the company culture didn't feel right for me.

Claims Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Submitted application online. Received email next day to fill out pre-interview forms. Next day received email asking me to take required pre-employment tests. Next day received email that I had passed tests and could expect to receive a call from a recruiter to set up an interview. (word of advice: CHECK YOUR SPAM MAIL. You could potentially miss their emails as it seems it is common for them to go to spam, based on other reviews) Received call the following day and scheduled interview for Monday of the next week. Interviewer called promptly at scheduled time. Spent about 5 minutes going over benefits (which are actually pretty great, and this is coming from someone who previously worked in government), job description and expectations. Job is basically in a call center and you are required to take a certain amount of calls per day, then spend the other half of the day working through claims. After that, I was asked what I know about State Farm, why I chose to apply there and what interested me about the job. After that I was asked 3 or 4 behavioral questions (be sure to answer in STAR format) including: a time I had to adapt to a change at work and how I prepared for it, a time I had to communicate a difficult idea or process and how I checked for understanding, a time I had to deal with a demanding customer and a time I was given critical feedback. After I finished answering the final question, I was asked if I had any questions. I asked about daily activities, what it would take to be successful in the role and what the atmosphere was like. My questions were answered in a very professional but informative manner. I had no other questions, so was expecting to be told to expect a call for an in-person interview, but was surprised when I was offered the job right then and there without having to appear face-to-face. Part of me thought that was strange, but the other part was happy because, really, interviews are stressful, so if I can skip a step, even better! I was told the start date would be about a month out and I would need to submit to a background check and drug test prior to a formal offer being put forth. I received several emails outlining all of the things I would need to complete within a certain time frame (time is of the essence!), completed the items and then received my formal offer. I genuinely appreciate how informative the whole process is/was. It is very refreshing to be kept in the loop throughout each step and to always know where you stand during the process. I find this company, so far, to be very professional and run much more smoothly than other companies I have interviewed with recently. I am looking forward to being an employee.

Interview Questions

• None, really, but giving an example of a time you received critical feedback is a tricky question because you don't really want it to seem like you are the type to make huge mistakes or are in need of constant coaching.   7 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, at least in my case. I was told it was a take it or leave it salary (they are hiring a TON of people right now, so I'm sure it's basically like, "Oh..you don't like the pay? NEXT!" The starting pay is fairly decent, though.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Phone interview, then a face-to-face interview. Also had to do a personality and skills test prior to the interview but they were fairly simple. The phone interview took about 15 minutes and then that lead to a 1:1 interview.

IT/Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Farm (Jackson, MS (US)).

Interview

Most of the interview question was behavioral and they asked me the languages that I frequently use. You have to rate it 1 being never heard of it and 3 being well experienced. The process was really was fast and smooth.

Insurance Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at State Farm (Pearland, TX (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Very friendly and professional. They did a great job asking good questions. I had to take a personality test to determine my sales style. I would say it was accurate.

Office Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm (Atlanta, GA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received email a couple days later about scheduling a phone interview. Once the phone interview was complete, I was instructed to check my email for an intense personality test and depending on the results I would either be contacted by phone or email regarding a face-to-face email. After taking the test, I received an email to schedule face-to-face interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked about past experience and why I wanted to work for State Farm.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

2/17/15
    First, State Farm came to our university to talk to our A.I.S Organization. They also had a quad-copter as a door prize. Their team consisted of a Business Analyst, IT Analyst, Systems Security and a Manager. I introduced myself and gave the Business Analyst my resume that night.

2/18/15
    The next day, they attended our schools career fair. I talked with the same Business Analyst (BA) and a recruiter that day as well. I gave them my resume again, and they gave me a job code to look up and apply for. I applied for the position that night as well as emailed and connected with the BA on LinkedIn.

3/3/15
    I received an invitation to have a phone interview.

3/12/15
    I had my phone interview with another BA and a manager, which consisted of basic HR questions and general concept questions over different languages (Rate your level of understanding). I was also notified that they would recommend me for a video conference with corporate for an onsite visit

3/16/15
    Email to confirm my onsite visit

3/18/15
    Onsite visit. Met with the BA I met at our school and career fair. Had the video conference (about 1hr 15min). Basic HR questions. PDLC questions, JCL question, Basic COBOL and Java questions.

3/24/15
    Email to confirm my Contingent job offer. (Depending on a background check)

I'm accepting for now, so hopefully the rest of the process goes well.

Interview Questions

• How are JCL and the COBOL program related?   1 Answer
    • A time when you had a difficult problem and you didn't know what to do. What would you do differently?   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Standard One on one interview with agent. Extremely easy, probably will hire anyone, you just have to find the right agent for you. Mine was personally horrible and I will never be returning. I would not suggest this job to anyone

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

Interview

The interview was one hour and both people conducting the interview were friendly and easy to talk to. Mostly questions regarding past experiences and how I handled myself in certain situations. Questions were a bit complex and made you think but as long as you can organize ideas well then it isn't too bad.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you were given a complex problem and how did you solve it   1 Answer

Claims Associate -ILR Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at State Farm.

Interview

Details
    I applied online – interviewed at State Farm in March 2015.

2/20/15: applied online thru SF careers site.
    2/23/15: received email with pre-employment test instructions. took tests same day. 3 tests, typing, data entry/call center, & behavioral.
    3/2/115: received email to chose day and time for 45 minute phone interview.
    3/3/15: phone interview set for 11am they called @11:05. A man from Atlanta went over position details then began questioning. be prepared with SPECIFIC examples. He asked for me to specify a few times. it was difficult if you don't prepare.The questions are posted in the reviews other people gave. A the end I was told to hold on and 1 min later I was told I had the job!!!! I was told to look out for an email regrading background and drug testing. Salary is not negotiable.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and were able to help them turn it into a positive experience
      tell me about yourself, your career, and schooling
      tell me a time when your coworkers were not getting along and how you handled it

Answer Question