State Farm Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

2.7

Investment Intern Interview

Partook in 2 separate rounds of interviews. The first round was an on campus interview prior to submitting resume to HR through online application process. The second round took place at the State Farm Headquarters. It was a series of two on one interviews with members of the department averaging about a half hour each.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do to stay current on financial news and tell us something that is currently going on and how you think it will affect the market's future.   Answer Question

I decided to pursue other opportunities because the company culture didn't feel right for me.

Insurance Account Representative Interview

The interview was laid back. It depends on who the agent is. I took initiative in telling about myself, and my past experience. You need to have some kind of sales background, or customer service, dealing with people, etc. Everything relys on the personality of your agent. They could be any certain way, just be professional, and honest.

Claims Interview

White males need not apply. Interview panels are mean spirited and hostile. Very initimadating and disrespectful seeking to embarass and or humilate candidate. This is a clear warning not to join this
    company unless you share that philosophy.

Interview Questions
    • If you werre successful in your past career why are you here.   View Answer
    No room for negotiation - take it or leave

Agent Aspirant Interview

For the position I interviewed for I underwent two interview sessions. While at these it was pretty laid back, but it probably can vary based on the agent you are interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what feature I possessed that allow me to stand out and make me successful   View Answer
    It was simple since I was new to the workforce I didn't really expect a huge salary and the initial offer was reasonable.

Systems Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Farm in October 2014.

Consisted of two interviews. One on Campus and another on site.

Campus interview was involved a recruiter reading from a script.

The On-site interview consisted of many technical questions:
    1.) Name the four Access Modifiers - default, public, private, protected
    2.) Examine this code and determine which sample is more appropriate implementation and easier to change - One code uses ArrayList and the other uses ArrayList and the JAVA List method
    3.) What is the difference between Overloading a class and Overwriting a class in JAVA?
    4.) Difference between SOAP and REST API's. - SOAP is more resource intensive
    5.) Name and describe some frameworks you have worked with.
    6.) What is the importance of Inheritance, and Polymorphism.
    7.) How would you feel looking at a class of 1000 lines of code?
    8.) How should a class be properly structured?
    9.) How many lines of code is appropriate per class?
    10.) Describe a time when you had two priorities conflict and how you dealt with it.

Interview Questions
    • Examine this code and determine which sample is more appropriate implementation and easier to change - One code uses ArrayList and the other uses ArrayList and the JAVA List method   Answer Question

AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at State Farm in October 2014.

Applied online, had a brief conversation with the State Farm Agent (you can call it a phone interview), went in for an interview with the agent. There was 12 minute pre-interview test and then an interview with the basic personality questions about experience and question and answer session. Took about 1 week to hear about the position. In the interview it was expressed that it was a sales position and a decent chunk of the pay would be commission.

Interview Questions
    • The questions on the pre-interview test that threw me off were comparing and contrasting English proverbs like "a friend in need is a friend in deed"   Answer Question

Found a better position

AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Farm.

After submitting my resume online I got a call from the very friendly hiring manager, Jackie. Right away she scheduled an appointment for me to come in later in the week but told me to start the formal application/background check so that it could be expedited to corporate. It was a very detailed and thorough questionnaire- almost unnecessarily so. Leave more time to do it than you'd think. Interview was one on one with the hiring manager and it was more information thrown at me than any hard hitting questions. She even helped me finish and send in the application and gave me a packet of literature to go over before the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is it that you think we do here? How much do you know about insurance?   Answer Question

Completely commission based pay. "Training period" where you're studying to get your insurance licenses, therefore not selling anything and not getting paid. In fact, tests were quoted to cost me personally "no more than $200."

Agency Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at State Farm.

Process took over three months. First met with recruiter for one on one interview. Then had a one on one with the Agency Recruiting Specialist. Did a number of online analysis and tests. Next was promised a Candidate Structured interview with Recruiting specialist and two to three other specialists. This interview would check for key competencies or behaviors State Farm was looking for. Showed up for interview and had to wait extra 15 minutes while the Agency Recruiting Specialist tried to find at least one other person for the interview. Passed that phase although never received my Score. Recruiting Specialist kept promising to send it but never did.

Next phase was to prepare a business plan. Recruiting specialist gave me the names of 5 Agency owners to meet with and two sales leaders to help create plan. Three out of the five agency owners either never returned multiple calls or said they were to busy to met with me. On my own I contacted four other Agency owners. I felt during my presentation that they did not like that I interviewed owners they did not specify. Called both the sales leaders. One never returned any of my calls. The other was very helpful and gave some great suggestions. On the day of presenting my plan the Sales leader I met was not able to be there. The Sales Leader who never returned my calls was part of the interview and made a joke about the fact that he never returned my calls. He dismissed parts of my business plan that the other Sales Leader i had met told me to put in my plan. When I came back that the other leader had suggested he wanted to see this in my plan the response was well he isn't here and I am. This threw me off my game but I continued on. My plan contained all the items the Sales Leader I met with suggested I needed to have in it..

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you were faced wit an unethical situation and how you handled it?   View Answer

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at State Farm.

You will get a call from a local state farm and they will ask you to come in and meet for a one on one interview with the business owner. He will go over you resume with you and ask about you. There were not a lot of hard questions, except "sell me this pen." He may ask behavioral questions about a situation you may encounter during the job. Overall pretty easy interview and got a call within one week that I got the job.

Claim Support Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at State Farm.

Very pleasant. My first interview was with a an assistant manager and then a superintendent Make sure you know about the company. They will ask you about previous job experience as related to the postion applying for. "how you define team member,"Give an example of a time where you had to deal with conflict/resolution within a team environment."

Interview Questions
    • "what would you do if a co-worker consistently seems over demanding?"   Answer Question