State Street Interview Questions

Updated 28 Sep 2014
Updated 28 Sep 2014

2.6

Fund Analyst Interview

I had a first experience with State street a few weeks ago. The experience was very good and they were very friendly. I am still waiting for the last decision. The questions were very simple and if you are prepared you will not have any problem. The questions were about my academic background and working experience. With regards to financial questions they just asked me to give some definitions for financial products. On the other hand, you need to be prepared for the situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • As it has been mentioned, the technical questions were not so demanding and if you have basic knowledge, everything will be fine.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State Street in May 2014.

HR Screening call, interview with two managers (1 hour), plus half an hour with HR talent acquisition.
    Was told that I would be advised of their decision by the end of the following week, I followed up at the end of that week and was ignored.

Summer Internship Interview

I applied online - interviewed at State Street.

30 minute interview:
    Why State Street, what interests you about State Street
    What area of State Street would I want to work in
    Educational back ground - discus university modules, which is my favourite module, why is it my favourite module
    Work experience - Asked about gaps between work experiences, what was I doing during that time.
    What qualities do I have eg. Leadership, Humorous, Hard working

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral Question - Talk about a time where you had trouble from a member of a group   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at State Street in February 2014.

I was first contacted by State Street in February for a official 1st round telephone interview in March for their 2 month internship program. They phoned me 2 weeks later telling me it was postponed and that I will hear from them again soon. Another 1 month (April) later I had to follow up and they informed me that my application was forwarded to the 6 month internship program starting in June. I was initially very happy but then by the month of May, they didn't get back to me. I always had to follow up with them. Really very unprofessional recruitment process and very misleading. Phone interview never materialised

Interview Questions
    • Initial phone interview was pleasant and they asked simple questions about State Street and why you want to work for State Street and in which department   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at State Street.

2 interviews, first interview with 2 individuals, then second with one individual.

Interview Questions
    • Questions aren't that difficult here, they are your standard interview set.   Answer Question
    Unable to negotiate, salary was capped which is quite annoying as I took a pay cut.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at State Street in December 2013.

Two round interview. The first is on phone and second is on site. They gave a information session before the interview, which I think is important for applicants. They will tell you the result very soon. The HR is very nice and friendly, but I don't like the questions they asked.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something about experience 1, experience 2, experience 3.   Answer Question

State Street Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at State Street in April 2013.

Submitted a CV online, contacted by the HR based outside London by phone, then contacted by a London based HR specialised in an area of my choosing. I didn't get the face-to-face interview with a hiring manager.

1st phone interview with the generalist HR: State Street contacts you out of blue for the first quick 10 mins chat about why you want to work at State Street and what you want to do there. It doesn't matter if you are outside in a pub having a drink, you still need to be able to answer these questions.

2nd phone interview with the specialist HR: You will be informed of the date and the time of the interview well in advance. 20 - 30 mins chat about your CV, what you want to do, where you see yourself in 5 years, describe an example when you had to work in a team or persuade others, what are your strengths.

If the phone interview is successful AND there is a suitable position for you at the firm, you will be asked to attend the face-to-face interview. I didn't get that.

The whole process is pleasant. The 2 HR I spoke with were nice and professional. One thing I would say is State Street like many other firms do not contact those who are unsuccessful. So if you don't hear from them 2 weeks after the telephone interview(s), you are rejected. There is absolutely no point in waiting any longer. I would assume that I am unsuccessful if I am not contacted by them 2 weeks after a telephone interview.

The summer intern application deadline was 1st Jan. 2013 (I think). I was contacted by the general HR by the end of Feb and then by the specialist HR in April. During the process, you will be kept in the dark for some time. Do you put all your eggs in one basket. Just apply to other financial institutions as you wait for their response.

Portfolio Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online - interviewed at State Street in July 2012.

Telephone interview and a face to face interview with 2 juniors

Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 3+ months - interviewed at State Street in June 2011.

Placed CV on line and it was fished by State Street. contacted by HR by phone then called in for a competency based interview. The two people interviewing were very relaxed, but professional.They made it easy to talk and didn't mind when I wanted clarification. I was then offered the job, but they took ages to do checks and references! I'm glad I wasn't desperate for an immediate salary.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of an error made by you and what did you learn from it   Answer Question
    Procrastinated

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at State Street in August 2010.

Initial communication and impressions were very good. I was very impressed by those who interviewed me.Which is just aswell as I work closely with both.

Interview Questions
    As this was done through an agency it was a little slow but still it was a painless experience.

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!