Stop & Shop

Relevance Date Difficulty

Gas Station Manager Interview

Gas Station Manager
Stoneham, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details The hiring process was kind of iffy, although I imagine it isn't like this for everyone. I went to my first interview where I really didn't say anything, the assistant manager basically talked the whole time and I barely got a word in. He ended it by saying they'd call me back, although that didn't happen. I called after a few days but he was apparently unavailable. I kept calling but I never got him, I only spoke with him when I went shopping a week later where he just said I was not hired.

I reapplied a month later, and I got a more standard inteview process. I met with someone else, and she was pleased with me. She scheduled another interview later that day, the second interview was with my former department manager. I was called a few days later and hired to work part time.

Interview Question – They didn't ask that many questions, certainly nothing extrordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, the company is unionized so whatever you get is standardized for every employee.

Deli Clerk Interview

Deli Clerk

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details Pretty simple. Applied online. Received a call and talked to the hiring manager. I had previous experience in deli so it was pretty cut and dry. I started the following week.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in the future.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Hampton Bays, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online, and a few days later got a call to come in for an interview the next day. It wasn't exactly an interview though, because they just asked why I didn't go back to [previous employer] and hired me within 5 minutes of walking in the store. I already start next week. The only downside is minimum wage payment, but after 30 days your payment goes up by .25 an hour.

Interview Question – Why did you quit your last job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They said $8/hr which was standard so I didn't fight it.

Dairy Clerk Interview

Dairy Clerk
Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Stop & Shop in March 2014.

Interview Details The interview process was fairly easy. I was called for an interview within a week of applying online. They had just remodeled the store so the experience was comfortable for me. My interview took approximately 1hour, the store is always busy which is good thing< which always means more hours for employees. The person that interviewing wanted to make sure i was knew about the grocery business which i did, as i currently work at another major supermarket for about 12 years now, so i was well prepared. I met the store manager, my dept manager and another assistant store manager whom were very nice to talk to. I was treated with respect which is all what i could have asked for.

Interview Question – The most difficult question i was asked was if i knew how to operate the electric jacks/forklift   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a salary that was acceptable to the amount of work i would be doing.

Clerk/Grocery Clerk Interview

Clerk/Grocery Clerk
East Longmeadow, MA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Stop & Shop in October 2011.

Interview Details It took 4 month's from the time I applied until I was called in for a interview. So be patient. The interview was one on one and not difficult. After you did a training exercise on the computer.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Jobs are hard to find in this era. Take it if offered. Even if it is for the benefit's alone.

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at Stop & Shop in July 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and waited a few days. Got a call back and was called in for a interview. He asked me basic questions and the interview was over within 10 minutes

Clerk Interview

Clerk

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop in May 2014.

Interview Details Applied online, and their system is in dire need of an upgrade. You can't go back to previous pages in the application, not even with your browser's back button. Only once the application is nearly finished can you review it. There is no option to save or continue later, so you'll need to start over if you get interrupted. And before you can begin, you're required to give your SSN. You're then asked broad and vague multiple choice questions that are like a psychological test. I answered as honestly as I could with the available choices.

I got a call about 2 weeks later to schedule an interview. The first batch of questions were related to my availability, previous experience, and if I was legally allowed to work. The rest were rather outdated questions that never accurately judge someone's abilities. Nothing was mentioned about the company or the positions I applied for, save for how customer service is important.

While the hiring manager seemed friendly, she didn't take any notes or record my answers. I had some questions, but was only able to ask two of them. Why are these positions open? Is there a number I can call to follow up if need be? Her responses were long-winded, and barely answered my questions. She also implied following up wasn't a good idea, and that I should wait a couple weeks before calling the store. She ended the interview before I could ask anything else. Once I'd left the office and gotten out of sight, I heard her start yelling at an employee who'd come to ask her about something.

I think their hiring process could use some improvement. It's not terrible, but it's not great, either.

Interview Questions

Front End Cashier Interview

Front End Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details A relative works in the store. This person asked the manager to look at my application first. I came in after school (I was 16) for about 20 minutes and talked to the manager about school. I came in later that week to get the paperwork sorted, and that was it. I was hired pretty much from the moment I walked in the door.

Interview Question – Nothing really. I was told I had to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pay was negotiated by the union.

Produce Clerk Interview

Produce Clerk
Hartford, CT (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details Easy interview, hired on the spot, background check required. Very few questions some included. Why do you want to work at stop and shop. explain a time you went out of your way for customer service. Mostly concerned with availability.

Interview Question – Explain a time you had a conflict with a customer and how you resolved it?   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

Front End Cashier
Wayne, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Stop & Shop.

Interview Details If you know someone in the company, there isn't much of an interview process, it's more of an orientation. Majority of the people who get hired in this company knows someone, because they hate doing interviews all the time.

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, you start at minimum wage.

Worked for Stop & Shop? Contribute to the Community!