TIAA-CREF Interview Questions

Updated 25 Sep 2014
Updated 25 Sep 2014

2.9

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Took 2 months+ to go through process. Multiple interviews. Start off with phone interview, once completed and qualified, move on to 3 additional interviews. All interviews were face to face except initial phone interview.

IT Info Security Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter for the position. Passed initial phone screen and my information was sent to the hiring manager. Within two weeks conducted a face to face interview with hiring manager and two other employees not in the immediate team. Seemed to go well with hiring manager but others just seemed to nod and smile when asking questions. The others did not seem to care about my answers at all. The open posting was subsequently deleted from the site and was not filled.

Individual Consultant (Inbound ) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lewisville, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

I Applied, First phase was a phone interview with a recruiter in North Carolina.The second phase was a request to complete an online assessment and questionaire for backgroud check. requested information needed to be retured within 24 hours so get on with it pronto! In person interview was set up weeks later by a local scheduler. The nterview was with two hiring managers who feverishly wrote down everything detail they could of my responses onto a form they had to fill out and for the purpose of reporting all igathered info from the interview and report back to HR.

Interview Questions
    • In the past, describe a project you were involved in, and it great detail take us through the process.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Mgt Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

HR contacted me through LinkedIn. Next step was a 30 minute call with the hiring manager and then within two weeks a video call with 4 managers within the firm. The entire process was quick and painless.

Interview Questions
    • What was it like working for Mr. Stowers. I thought it was interesting that they knew who he was and were interested in how he led American Century.   Answer Question
    They had a done their homework on what it would take for me to accept. They gave me what I wanted.

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

The hiring process is less than desirable, very long and tedious. They didn't ask anything out of the ordinary. You usually have to interview 2-3 people within the department that is scheduled the same day at different time. Some were off the hiring location so there was also a phone call involved.

Interview Questions
    • They were the pretty standard questions, nothing unusual.   Answer Question
    I believe you can negotiate some, however I was pleased with my offer and did not have to negotiate.

Client Relationship Consultant- Wealth Management Interview

Recruiter would email with time she would call and then not call as stated. When I replied to emails sent by recruiter they were ignored. Plenty of excuses for being "busy". Not professional.

Director Interview

Slow, misleading, promise of on site interview dragged on for weeks and eventually never happened. Multiple calls with recruiter and business head, never a final call back from hiring mgr or recruiter. 2 mths later received computer generated email. Recruiter sold TIAA's growth track very hard. Hiring process is non-existent, or they just don't care. Not sure which it is.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic, did not ask anything insightful, review resume.   Answer Question

Loan Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

They reached me through LinkedIn and then called and left a voice mail on my work phone. I called back and went through a maze of being referred and sent from recruiter to recruiter... very sloppy process.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't really ask anything too complex. They were generic questions.   View Answer

Continuous Improvement Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

I applied online - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2014.

1st - Phone Screen by HR with email followup - 30 min - general questions, 2nd Interview with 'Dotted Line" hiring Manager - 30 min - nice conversation about the job and their needs, email follow up with HR, 3rd - In person with other Continuous Improvement Leaders - 60 min - again nice conversation about their needs and what works, 4th - Phone interview with the Hiring Manager - 30 min. another nice interview about their needs - no hard questions but some 'how would you deal with this situation' questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were situation type regarding applying tools and getting results - how do you use them in an administrative environment?   View Answer

TIAA-CREF Wealth Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2014.

Started with an initial phone interview with an inexperienced HR person who was disorganized but friendly enough. Then was able to leap frog another phone interview and go into an in-person interview onsite. Interviewer onsite was churning through multiple interviews that day "hard to keep track of all of you". Person had never worked anywhere but TIAA and appeared to have a bias against people from the independent advisor channel. Wanted 'coachable" individuals which I translated into people that could be told what to do and that weren't extremely talented. Manager was not overly impressive and I got the feeling that he wanted people that would not threaten his abilities, especially after I saw and overheard some of their advisors talking with an existing client. They appear to want to grow rapidly but don't know how to go about it with existing management team having no outside experience.

Interview Questions
    • Avoid standard responses or expect to be cut off and/or disrespected and talked over   Answer Question

Worked for TIAA-CREF? Contribute to the Community!