TJX Companies

Updated 23 Nov 2014
Updated 23 Nov 2014

2.8

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme, 2014 Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I applied through their website, and was required to fill out there questions based on past experiences, motivations to work for TK Maxx, etc. This process took around 20minutes. I was successful for their second stage process, and was invited to do a numerical and verbal test. They gave me around 5 days to complete this.

The maths was average, usually with ratio and percentages. It primarily consisted of (LONG) word problems. Although the question were easy, they only give you 25minutes to complete 10 questions, each question with 3 parts - This could of been easy to do if they gave me enough time. The verbal was very easy, just reading an extract and then answering questions about it.

They also required a video interview, where they give you questions (around 10), and you answer them by speaking to the camera, like a one sided interview.

The questions were for me (these change!!) :

1) What other brands did you apply to, and why?
    2) Why did you apply to the TJ Maxx Scheme?
    3) Describe a difficult task and how you achieved this.
    4) Describe a time when you worked within a team and its challenges.
    5) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Buying?
    6) What did you recognise when visiting a TK Maxx store and why is there a different stock at different branches?
    7) Describe a time when you put plan into practise.
    8) Biggest failure in uni/work and how you overcame this.
    9) Biggest achievement in work/uni.
    10) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Merchandising?

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about merchandising even though you are applying for a buying position so be prepared.   Answer Question

Merchandising and Buying Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Met with one of the talent acquisition managers at a Grad Fair who offered insight into the scheme and what sort of work I could expect. After my meeting I applied online where you are expected to answer three questions, include your CV and a covering letter. After this I was invited to carry out the online tests (relatively easy) and online interviews (10 questions). I have now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre later this month

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in December 2013.

First completed several motivation questions and uploaded CV. Heard back within 2-3 and invited to complete further questions and a 30-minute one-way video interview consisting of 10 questions. Each question appears for 1 minute followed by a 2 minute slot to answer in. If you finish before the 2 minutes are up you can move straight onto the next question.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you put a plan into practice.   Answer Question

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Schemes Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Did an online application, some maths and english tests online, followed by a video interview. I was then invited to an assessment centre which was split into two visits to head office in Watford. The first visit involved an individual and group assessment, and the second was an individual interview and a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what interests you most about the retail industry   Answer Question

Supply Chain Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in August 2010.

The first interview was a 1:1 with the hiring manager,Mainly fitting and competency based questions.The interview was very nice and was considerate when I was stuck.

Second round was with the CFO.Again very thorough interview.A little less friendly that the earlier one,but fair.

Interview Questions
    • A situation based senario ,dealing with difficult people   View Answer

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

First, you had to take an online HireVue interview. Very awkward. There are 9 questions and you have 30 seconds to decide on an answer. When the 30 seconds are up, it starts recording you. Answers were focused on the position more than general interview questions.
    After that, I had Assessment Day. This was a LONG day. You shadow an analyst, have lunch, and then you have a data analysis problem. You have 30 min to work on it alone. After that, you and your group discuss and come to an agreement, while recruiters watch and take notes.
    After that, you have 3 interviews, back to back.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had to be analytical.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you used resourcefulness to solve a problem.   Answer Question
    I planned to negotiate, but was offered the amount I wanted.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TJX Companies.

If you have a pulse they will hire you/ don't have to speak english, after the holidays they will cut your hours down to 10 or 15, they will never fire you unless you steal from them, they just will not give you hours anymore and force you to leave that way

minimum wage no discussion

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

I went into headquarters to meet with two different people, and had half hour interviews with both. They were very welcoming, and gave me a tour of the building as well as being very open and nice during the interview process.

Merchandising Development Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies.

Applied online, within a week was asked to do the online video interview. You have to read the question and you have about 30 seconds before it starts to record your response. If you haven't done one, it helped to practice responding to questions out loud since there's no dialogue. About a week later, I was invited to the assessment day at home office. It was about 6 hours and included an individual exercise, group discussion, 3 individual interviews with recruiters, lunch, your of home office and a job shadow. Everyone was very nice and welcoming. They all seemed to like working there.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenge or failure and how you responded.

What differentiates you from other candidates?
        Answer Question

Merchandising Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Applied for the internship in Februrary - they do most of their intern hiring in September so the Spring semester is more competitive to fill fewer spots - and got notified to do a webcam recorded interview about a week later. Then I made it to the 2nd round which was an on-campus group interview with an individual and group case study, which was really awkward and they made the most cuts in that round. Then I made it to the final round which was at the headquarters, where we had 3 rounds of interviews with recruiters. They asked mostly behavioral and situations questions, but also asked a lot of questions about the company itself, so make sure to know about the business model, competitors, and career path! Also be prepared with lots of questions because you can't really ask the same questions to the three different recruiters. I was notified with an offer in mid-April.

Interview Questions
    • Explain our business model and how it gives us a competitive edge against other retailers   Answer Question
    I did not need to negotiate -- interns were paid $15.00/hr and were given free intern hosuing