TJX Companies

Updated 13 Dec 2014

2.8

Business Technology Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview Process
    First stage: Application form, usual CV and cover letter submission. Followed by a few questions regarding your motivation for applying to the graduate programme (including tell me an interesting fact about yourself)
    Second stage: Upon successful completion of the application form, you are provided with a Numerical and logical reasoning test
    Third stage: Assessment Centre - you take part in various group activities which include a Problem Solving task and a project based exercise. Individual exercise requires candidates to select from a number of future projects and to decide which ones would be ideal for the TJX business. For this particular exercise you are given a set budget and have to decide which business projects to Approve and Reject. You are also required to present a short presentation on your ideal company for 15 minutes to a panel of 2 interviewers. Lastly, you are given the opportunity to speak to current graduates about their job roles and current experiences in the Business Technology Programme.
    Overall a very positive experience. The interviewers made you feel comfortable and provided food and drinks throughout the day.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be a road sign, what sign would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme, 2014 Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I applied through their website, and was required to fill out there questions based on past experiences, motivations to work for TK Maxx, etc. This process took around 20minutes. I was successful for their second stage process, and was invited to do a numerical and verbal test. They gave me around 5 days to complete this.

The maths was average, usually with ratio and percentages. It primarily consisted of (LONG) word problems. Although the question were easy, they only give you 25minutes to complete 10 questions, each question with 3 parts - This could of been easy to do if they gave me enough time. The verbal was very easy, just reading an extract and then answering questions about it.

They also required a video interview, where they give you questions (around 10), and you answer them by speaking to the camera, like a one sided interview.

The questions were for me (these change!!) :

1) What other brands did you apply to, and why?
    2) Why did you apply to the TJ Maxx Scheme?
    3) Describe a difficult task and how you achieved this.
    4) Describe a time when you worked within a team and its challenges.
    5) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Buying?
    6) What did you recognise when visiting a TK Maxx store and why is there a different stock at different branches?
    7) Describe a time when you put plan into practise.
    8) Biggest failure in uni/work and how you overcame this.
    9) Biggest achievement in work/uni.
    10) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Merchandising?

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about merchandising even though you are applying for a buying position so be prepared.   Answer Question

Merchandising and Buying Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Met with one of the talent acquisition managers at a Grad Fair who offered insight into the scheme and what sort of work I could expect. After my meeting I applied online where you are expected to answer three questions, include your CV and a covering letter. After this I was invited to carry out the online tests (relatively easy) and online interviews (10 questions). I have now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre later this month

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in December 2013.

First completed several motivation questions and uploaded CV. Heard back within 2-3 and invited to complete further questions and a 30-minute one-way video interview consisting of 10 questions. Each question appears for 1 minute followed by a 2 minute slot to answer in. If you finish before the 2 minutes are up you can move straight onto the next question.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you put a plan into practice.   Answer Question

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Schemes Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Did an online application, some maths and english tests online, followed by a video interview. I was then invited to an assessment centre which was split into two visits to head office in Watford. The first visit involved an individual and group assessment, and the second was an individual interview and a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what interests you most about the retail industry   Answer Question

Supply Chain Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in August 2010.

The first interview was a 1:1 with the hiring manager,Mainly fitting and competency based questions.The interview was very nice and was considerate when I was stuck.

Second round was with the CFO.Again very thorough interview.A little less friendly that the earlier one,but fair.

Interview Questions
    • A situation based senario ,dealing with difficult people   View Answer

Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

I was initially contacted via phone by a talent acquisition manager to set up a time in the near future to discuss the opportunity. We originally talked on either a Thursday or Friday and the phone interview was scheduled for the following Monday. She was very accommodating and worked around my schedule since I am currently employed. The interview lasted about 45 minutes and was a typical interview except right off the bat she gave a detailed description of the company and exactly what the position was all about which I really liked. She said that the process would consist of about 4 interviews and if I didn't hear back in two weeks to follow-up with her. I emailed her in about 2 weeks and she called me less than an hour after I emailed her. All in all, I'd say this was one of the best interviews I've ever had.

Interview Questions
    • Very typical interview. Tell me about yourself, how would you go about persuading people to follow your ideas, etc.   Answer Question

Merchandising Development Program Interview

I applied through campus recruitment. Shortly after, I received a link to perform an interview online with 9 questions. After this I was asked to the next round where we were given sales reports and told to allocate items. We had 30 minutes to work on it alone and then they observed as we worked together as a team. I will moving to the final round soon at their headquarters for a day of shadowing and interviews.

Interview Questions
    • We were given a math question and asked to describe a time when I was analytical   Answer Question

Buying Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

I participated through my school's on campus recruiting. First round was a remote video interview with pretty standard behavioral questions and a very simple math question. Then I was flown to the HQ in Massachusetts to have a final round, which included a case/data analysis test, group project involving the case, and three 30-min interviews. I also had a job shadow and tour of the building. The questions were not unexpected at all, and were largely behavioral. They really want to see that you are interested in the company for the long haul, so be prepared for rigorous questions about your applications to other companies, whether you would return for another internship/full time, why TJX, etc

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a specific brand you would want to see in one of our stores and why/how would you want to include it in the assortment   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies.

I met with 2 people, individually. The first person asked me the standard interview questions like "what is your weakest and strongest point." The 2nd person i met with was the director. She seemed really nice and very pleasant to speak with. I had a good feeling about the interview but I guess I was wrong. They did advise me that they had a high turnover rate. So I'm glad I didn't end up there.