TJX Companies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014
Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.8

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme, 2014 Interview

I applied online - interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I applied through their website, and was required to fill out there questions based on past experiences, motivations to work for TK Maxx, etc. This process took around 20minutes. I was successful for their second stage process, and was invited to do a numerical and verbal test. They gave me around 5 days to complete this.

The maths was average, usually with ratio and percentages. It primarily consisted of (LONG) word problems. Although the question were easy, they only give you 25minutes to complete 10 questions, each question with 3 parts - This could of been easy to do if they gave me enough time. The verbal was very easy, just reading an extract and then answering questions about it.

They also required a video interview, where they give you questions (around 10), and you answer them by speaking to the camera, like a one sided interview.

The questions were for me (these change!!) :

1) What other brands did you apply to, and why?
    2) Why did you apply to the TJ Maxx Scheme?
    3) Describe a difficult task and how you achieved this.
    4) Describe a time when you worked within a team and its challenges.
    5) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Buying?
    6) What did you recognise when visiting a TK Maxx store and why is there a different stock at different branches?
    7) Describe a time when you put plan into practise.
    8) Biggest failure in uni/work and how you overcame this.
    9) Biggest achievement in work/uni.
    10) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Merchandising?

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about merchandising even though you are applying for a buying position so be prepared.   Answer Question

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watford, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in December 2013.

First completed several motivation questions and uploaded CV. Heard back within 2-3 and invited to complete further questions and a 30-minute one-way video interview consisting of 10 questions. Each question appears for 1 minute followed by a 2 minute slot to answer in. If you finish before the 2 minutes are up you can move straight onto the next question.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you put a plan into practice.   Answer Question

Merchandising and Buying Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at TJX Companies.

Met with one of the talent acquisition managers at a Grad Fair who offered insight into the scheme and what sort of work I could expect. After my meeting I applied online where you are expected to answer three questions, include your CV and a covering letter. After this I was invited to carry out the online tests (relatively easy) and online interviews (10 questions). I have now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre later this month

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Schemes Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at TJX Companies.

Did an online application, some maths and english tests online, followed by a video interview. I was then invited to an assessment centre which was split into two visits to head office in Watford. The first visit involved an individual and group assessment, and the second was an individual interview and a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what interests you most about the retail industry   Answer Question

Supply Chain Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Watford, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in August 2010.

The first interview was a 1:1 with the hiring manager,Mainly fitting and competency based questions.The interview was very nice and was considerate when I was stuck.

Second round was with the CFO.Again very thorough interview.A little less friendly that the earlier one,but fair.

Interview Questions
    • A situation based senario ,dealing with difficult people   View Answer

Human Resources Interview

First experience was horrible - 8 hours spent interviewing over multiple visits with no follow up or closure. Second experience was faster and smoother even though there was were still multiple visits.

Interview Questions
    • Tried to solicit solutions for very specific situations that they were currently dealing with.   Answer Question
    expectations were pretty clear from the beginning - little or no negotiation

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

First round: screen with HR with lots of behavioral questions.
    Second round: onsite with three members from the team. Overall an easy, pleasant process. Some of the questions asked included why TJX, describe your credentials, past projects, etc.

Didn't hear anything from them afterwards till I followed up

Interview Questions
    • Things to consider when choosing a location for a new store   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I had interviewed with TJX before, but wasn't hired because they wanted to talk to my supervisor at my job at the time, but I didn't want them to know I was looking to leave without an offer on the table. The interviews were both very pleasant and relaxed. Mostly conversational about your knowledge of loss prevention and sharing old stories! The only odd part was the first manager wanting to talk to my supervisor when I had provided them our HR number to confirm employment. The second manager simply let Lexis Nexis handle all of my background. I applied online and received a call for an interview in about two weeks. At the interview, they had me complete some further paperwork for my background check. My background check was said to take between one and three weeks, but mine took about 10 days. Another guy hired with me at the same time took three weeks though. Overall it appears their interviews are more about what you know instead of how you interview which really helps those who know LP well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your most difficult shoplifter apprehension.   Answer Question
    I chose not to negotiate as they offered me what I had requested on my application and were very fair.

Merchandising Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

The whole process took about a month. Started with a phone interview, didn't hear back for 2 weeks and then was contacted for an in person interview. The second interview involved meeting with 5 managers, individually.

Merchandise Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bronx, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I thought the interviewer was relaxed but professional. Just be yourself and engaging. Make sure you have eye contact and smile. They asked very basic questions and the schedule seem to be very flexible.

Interview Questions

it was personal reason....had nothing to do with the job

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!