TJX Companies Interview Questions

Updated 16 Apr 2015

2.8

Buying and Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies (London, England) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was a recorded video. A little strange to be talking to yourself the whole time. The interview consisted of three tests: reasoning, numerical and logical. The numerical was fairly difficult because each question is timed (the math itself is not that difficult).

Interview Questions

• Have you visited any of our stores recently and how would you change them?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview

the initial application process for the TJX Merchandising and Buying Graduate Programme was rather straight forward, having to upload a CV, give additional information about education and employment and answer a few questions about why you were interested in the scheme. After about 2 weeks I received an email inviting me to undertake some online tests and a video interview. The tests were hosted buy Talent Q and I found the numerical tests more difficult than others I had carried out for other companies due to the strict time limit of between 60 and 90 seconds per question. The logical and Verbal tests however, were more comfortably completed. The video interview was hosted by Hireview, the format consisted of 10 questions which you were given 30 seconds to prepare an answer for and then 3 minutes in which to present the answer. You did not have to use the full 3 minutes however and could move on to the next question as soon as you were ready. There is no option to re-record your answers. The questions were not particularly unexpected. They included references to the off-price retail model and how that would affect both the buying strategy and the merchandising strategy (in separate questions) and also questions about personal experience which would make you relevant for the position.

Business Technology Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies (Watford, East of England, England).

Interview

Interview Process
    First stage: Application form, usual CV and cover letter submission. Followed by a few questions regarding your motivation for applying to the graduate programme (including tell me an interesting fact about yourself)
    Second stage: Upon successful completion of the application form, you are provided with a Numerical and logical reasoning test
    Third stage: Assessment Centre - you take part in various group activities which include a Problem Solving task and a project based exercise. Individual exercise requires candidates to select from a number of future projects and to decide which ones would be ideal for the TJX business. For this particular exercise you are given a set budget and have to decide which business projects to Approve and Reject. You are also required to present a short presentation on your ideal company for 15 minutes to a panel of 2 interviewers. Lastly, you are given the opportunity to speak to current graduates about their job roles and current experiences in the Business Technology Programme.
    Overall a very positive experience. The interviewers made you feel comfortable and provided food and drinks throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• If you could be a road sign, what sign would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

Interview

I applied through their website, and was required to fill out there questions based on past experiences, motivations to work for TK Maxx, etc. This process took around 20minutes. I was successful for their second stage process, and was invited to do a numerical and verbal test. They gave me around 5 days to complete this.

The maths was average, usually with ratio and percentages. It primarily consisted of (LONG) word problems. Although the question were easy, they only give you 25minutes to complete 10 questions, each question with 3 parts - This could of been easy to do if they gave me enough time. The verbal was very easy, just reading an extract and then answering questions about it.

They also required a video interview, where they give you questions (around 10), and you answer them by speaking to the camera, like a one sided interview.

The questions were for me (these change!!) :

1) What other brands did you apply to, and why?
    2) Why did you apply to the TJ Maxx Scheme?
    3) Describe a difficult task and how you achieved this.
    4) Describe a time when you worked within a team and its challenges.
    5) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Buying?
    6) What did you recognise when visiting a TK Maxx store and why is there a different stock at different branches?
    7) Describe a time when you put plan into practise.
    8) Biggest failure in uni/work and how you overcame this.
    9) Biggest achievement in work/uni.
    10) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Merchandising?

Interview Questions

• They ask you about merchandising even though you are applying for a buying position so be prepared.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview

Met with one of the talent acquisition managers at a Grad Fair who offered insight into the scheme and what sort of work I could expect. After my meeting I applied online where you are expected to answer three questions, include your CV and a covering letter. After this I was invited to carry out the online tests (relatively easy) and online interviews (10 questions). I have now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre later this month

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies (Watford, East of England, England) in December 2013.

Interview

First completed several motivation questions and uploaded CV. Heard back within 2-3 and invited to complete further questions and a 30-minute one-way video interview consisting of 10 questions. Each question appears for 1 minute followed by a 2 minute slot to answer in. If you finish before the 2 minutes are up you can move straight onto the next question.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you put a plan into practice.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview

Did an online application, some maths and english tests online, followed by a video interview. I was then invited to an assessment centre which was split into two visits to head office in Watford. The first visit involved an individual and group assessment, and the second was an individual interview and a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Describe what interests you most about the retail industry   Answer Question

Supply Chain Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies (Watford, East of England, England) in August 2010.

Interview

The first interview was a 1:1 with the hiring manager,Mainly fitting and competency based questions.The interview was very nice and was considerate when I was stuck.

Second round was with the CFO.Again very thorough interview.A little less friendly that the earlier one,but fair.

Interview Questions

• A situation based senario ,dealing with difficult people   1 Answer

Merchandising Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

The video screening interview was very awful but helpful in understanding what types of people they are looking for. Take your time in between questions and realize that they aren't looking for a specific answer. Just to see that you are a personable and outgoing person.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies (Framingham, MA (US)).

Interview

Applied online through my university, recorded video interview of 9 behavioral questions, then a group interview exercise where you look at data and allocate jackets to different stores- it was easy but make sure to speak up during the discussion, and was then invited to the home office last round interviews where you do three 20 minute interviews. most questions were behavioral. its important to highlight your leadership abilities. it was a lot of work for not that great of pay