TJX Companies

TJX Companies Interview Questions

Updated 26 Feb 2015
Updated 26 Feb 2015

2.8

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies.

the initial application process for the TJX Merchandising and Buying Graduate Programme was rather straight forward, having to upload a CV, give additional information about education and employment and answer a few questions about why you were interested in the scheme. After about 2 weeks I received an email inviting me to undertake some online tests and a video interview. The tests were hosted buy Talent Q and I found the numerical tests more difficult than others I had carried out for other companies due to the strict time limit of between 60 and 90 seconds per question. The logical and Verbal tests however, were more comfortably completed. The video interview was hosted by Hireview, the format consisted of 10 questions which you were given 30 seconds to prepare an answer for and then 3 minutes in which to present the answer. You did not have to use the full 3 minutes however and could move on to the next question as soon as you were ready. There is no option to re-record your answers. The questions were not particularly unexpected. They included references to the off-price retail model and how that would affect both the buying strategy and the merchandising strategy (in separate questions) and also questions about personal experience which would make you relevant for the position.

Business Technology Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview Process
    First stage: Application form, usual CV and cover letter submission. Followed by a few questions regarding your motivation for applying to the graduate programme (including tell me an interesting fact about yourself)
    Second stage: Upon successful completion of the application form, you are provided with a Numerical and logical reasoning test
    Third stage: Assessment Centre - you take part in various group activities which include a Problem Solving task and a project based exercise. Individual exercise requires candidates to select from a number of future projects and to decide which ones would be ideal for the TJX business. For this particular exercise you are given a set budget and have to decide which business projects to Approve and Reject. You are also required to present a short presentation on your ideal company for 15 minutes to a panel of 2 interviewers. Lastly, you are given the opportunity to speak to current graduates about their job roles and current experiences in the Business Technology Programme.
    Overall a very positive experience. The interviewers made you feel comfortable and provided food and drinks throughout the day.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be a road sign, what sign would you choose and why?   Answer Question

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme, 2014 Interview

I applied online – interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I applied through their website, and was required to fill out there questions based on past experiences, motivations to work for TK Maxx, etc. This process took around 20minutes. I was successful for their second stage process, and was invited to do a numerical and verbal test. They gave me around 5 days to complete this.

The maths was average, usually with ratio and percentages. It primarily consisted of (LONG) word problems. Although the question were easy, they only give you 25minutes to complete 10 questions, each question with 3 parts - This could of been easy to do if they gave me enough time. The verbal was very easy, just reading an extract and then answering questions about it.

They also required a video interview, where they give you questions (around 10), and you answer them by speaking to the camera, like a one sided interview.

The questions were for me (these change!!) :

1) What other brands did you apply to, and why?
    2) Why did you apply to the TJ Maxx Scheme?
    3) Describe a difficult task and how you achieved this.
    4) Describe a time when you worked within a team and its challenges.
    5) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Buying?
    6) What did you recognise when visiting a TK Maxx store and why is there a different stock at different branches?
    7) Describe a time when you put plan into practise.
    8) Biggest failure in uni/work and how you overcame this.
    9) Biggest achievement in work/uni.
    10) What do you know about "Off Pricing" in Merchandising?

Interview Questions
    • They ask you about merchandising even though you are applying for a buying position so be prepared.   Answer Question

Merchandising and Buying Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Met with one of the talent acquisition managers at a Grad Fair who offered insight into the scheme and what sort of work I could expect. After my meeting I applied online where you are expected to answer three questions, include your CV and a covering letter. After this I was invited to carry out the online tests (relatively easy) and online interviews (10 questions). I have now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre later this month

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in December 2013.

First completed several motivation questions and uploaded CV. Heard back within 2-3 and invited to complete further questions and a 30-minute one-way video interview consisting of 10 questions. Each question appears for 1 minute followed by a 2 minute slot to answer in. If you finish before the 2 minutes are up you can move straight onto the next question.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you put a plan into practice.   Answer Question

Buying and Merchandising Graduate Schemes Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies.

Did an online application, some maths and english tests online, followed by a video interview. I was then invited to an assessment centre which was split into two visits to head office in Watford. The first visit involved an individual and group assessment, and the second was an individual interview and a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe what interests you most about the retail industry   Answer Question

Supply Chain Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Watford, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in August 2010.

The first interview was a 1:1 with the hiring manager,Mainly fitting and competency based questions.The interview was very nice and was considerate when I was stuck.

Second round was with the CFO.Again very thorough interview.A little less friendly that the earlier one,but fair.

Interview Questions
    • A situation based senario ,dealing with difficult people   View Answer

Corporate Merchandising Program Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

I attended the Univeristy career fair and discussed the position with a manager that attended. he took my resume and then I recived an email asking me to sign up and complete a video recording of a set of questions asked of me on the computer. It was a little akward interviewing to the camera, and not having any personal interactions with anybody.

Corporate Merchandising Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TJX Companies in February 2015.

Applied to online position. Contacted a day later to do Hirevue interview. Contacted a day after Hirevue interview to come in for an in person interview at their Framingham campus. Everyting was quick. They house all applicants at the same hotel . We all arrived to the hotel in the wee hours of the morning then expected to come in the same day at 8am for Assessment Day.

When you come in you are given an introduction about the company, you then are split into a group of 4 for 30 mins and ask to complete a data analysis on allocating lightweight jackets. Then 2 HR recruiters come in and listen to you come to a consensus on how many units to allocate to the stores. After that you have 3 interviews. Most interviewers ask you questions and seem to carr about your response. One HR recruiter was very rude. You are then given a tour after the and lunch.

When I was contacted I was told I'd be given a call that next day if I received the position. I have not received a call. However, others have received emails requesting references. The trip was a waste of my time considering the HR team reviewed my resume before inviting me out and knew I was above this position. But, I decided to go because they are in such a hurry to fill the class. Just wished the HR lady had not lied to me about my changes of getting into the program.

Merchandising Development Program Interview

Interview was one round of a one-way video interview, fair and not too difficult. Second round interview they fly you to home office in Framingham, MA and had a full day of tour and activities along with 3 interviews. Not the most organized process, but overall a good day. Interview questions were expected, although some interviewers were not effective in the way the questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • Give a time when you used data to analyze a situation.   Answer Question