TSA (Transportation Security Administration)
www.tsa.gov Arlington 5000+ Employees

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 01, 2014

Getting the Interview

36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Transportation Security Officer Interview

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) in December 2013.

Interview Details It is easy to pass

Interview Question – The hiring process can take up to a year   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

TSO (Transportation Security Officer) Interview

I applied online and the process took 11 months - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) in September 2012.

Interview Details Mostly done online as you progress through different stages/ Background check/Drug screen/Interview/ Credit check, etc

Interview Question – Discuss a negative situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question

TSA OFFICER Interview

TSA OFFICER

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration).

Interview Details Easy process. Long training. A month in a classroom.

TSA OFFICER Interview

TSA OFFICER

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration).

Interview Details Easy stuff. Do some tests, easy to pass

Very Easy Interview

Lead Transportation Security Officer Interview

Lead Transportation Security Officer
Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) in September 2010.

Interview Details They no longer hire Leads [internal] Just pass the test and answer some short questions.

Interview Question – None; all related to job functions and pay.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing...was starting at Lead pay. Right now can not negotiate pay.

Portland, OR (US)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) in August 2012.

Interview Details It is a long process that can take anywhere from 3 months to 1.5 years. They want to make sure you are physically, emotionally, and intellectually able to do the job. There are several steps to complete. Do them each as soon as possible to get through the process quickly.

Be patient. I had not heard from the TSA for 4 months and thought I had been disqualified. Then they randomly called me one day and offered me a job. This will happen many times throughout the process.

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was not an option. Everyone enters with the same salary. I would advise anyone who receives an offer to ask themselves why they want the job. If the answer is for a career with TSA, I would advise against it. Most officers are at the TSA to either get retirement or to move into another Federal agency. Almost no one wants to stay there. Everyone on the floor is trying to get out or waiting until they can retire.

Very Difficult Interview

TSO (Transportation Security Officer)-Newark EWR Airport Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration).

Interview Details The hiring process involves getting a color test, finger prints,background, dexterity, physical and much more then you wait forever to find out if you are in the hiring pool and then you go to another airport and take computer tests, xray tests and bag check tests.

Interview Question – Why did you apply for this job.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – None!

STSO Interview

Interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Interview Details submit application for desired location, take image testing and finally f2f interview

Interview Question – no questions were unexpected or difficult...image test was most difficult   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Transportation Security Officer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration).

Interview Details Apply online at USAJOBS.GOV, once they contact you you complete computer assessments then you go for an interview then fill out background check information.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult for the interview, honestly. Generic easy questions. My interview was almost 8 years ago, most likely changed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Transportation Security Officer

I applied online and interviewed at TSA (Transportation Security Administration).

Interview Details Reading and Spelling test, Pattern Recognition test, color blindness test, drug test, fingerprinting, 10 year FBI background investigation, interview and finally 2-3 months of training.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had a fellow co-worker do something wrong, what did you do, how did you handle the situation, and what was the outcome.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Worked for TSA (Transportation Security Administration)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TSA (Transportation Security Administration) interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews are posted anonymously by TSA (Transportation Security Administration) employees and interview candidates.