TUI Travel Interview Questions

3.2

Graduate Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gatwick, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gatwick, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in September 2014.

I sent my application off and received a confirmation email almost immediately. 3 weeks later I received an email saying that although they liked my application, there was a high level of interest for the role so they were keeping my details on file. Then, I received an email inviting me for a telephone interview, which I booked the same day for 2 days later. 5 days after my phone interview I received an invite to an assessment day, which I booked for the only available date, which was 7 days after I received the invite. I was also told that I would be sent a link to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment. I was supposed to receive a confirmation email but this never happened, so I called the head office who put me in touch with the relevant department. I got the impression that they were quite busy as they didn't send me the link for the assessments until 3 days after the initial invite to the assessment day, which was 4 days before the assessment day itself. The tests themselves I found pretty difficult, although we were never told how we performed on these tests.

At the interview itself there were 14 candidates in total. First of all we had a group exercise where we had to come up with a new brand of holiday in groups of 7 and then present it to the rest. Next, we had a role-play exercise where we had to sell a holiday to a difficult individual. We had 10 minutes to prepare and I found that I ran out of time preparing what I was going to say and I felt out of my depth in the whole thing as I have no sales experience (very few of the candidates did) and they knew this from my application. Finally, there was an individual interview which comprised of some pretty general questions about my experience and some competency-based questions.

I received a rejection email within a week and I called a week ago to see if I could get some feedback. I haven't heard anything back so far.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TUI Travel in June 2014.

Stage 1 was application form, stage 2 tests, phone interview then assessment centre. Assessment was a group exercise, which was deciding the details of a holiday then giving a presentation. Make sure you know brands. Then a case study (2 people) about certain issues/goals in the company, how would you tackle and then questions on those. Then an interview with two assessors. The whole day was pretty relaxed and seemed a great place to work! It is really really competitive so make sure you really speak up in the group tasks. And do loads of research!

Interview Questions
    • What did you enjoy about your degree? Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a challenge? Tell me about a time you improved something?   Answer Question

Seasonal Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Swansea, Wales
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in June 2010.

The application form was intense, A LOT of information considering the calibre of staff that actually got hired not being that great because of the vast number of people they needed. The interview was equally intense, being a full day. A group interview in the morning where all the candidates for all different roles had different tasks to do in the room, mostly presentations. This was followed by an unprepared presentation where they gave a task for us to prepare in groups of similar job roles and we had to do individual presentations regarding the information we had been given to prepare. This was followed by a cull, and then lunch. After lunch individual interviews were held and were followed immediately by job offers which was a good point.

Interview Questions
    • The unprepared menu planning - we were given a list of store cupboard items and asked to create a two course menu from them. It was unexpected as it was never going to be reality that on the spot menu planning was going to have to occur.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was asked what country I would like to work in and the one I wanted wasn't very popular so I was guaranteed it.

Inbound Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunderland, North East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunderland, North East England, England

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in February 2014.

I found the initial job post on an online job portal and applied via the TUI careers website (slightly annoying, involved putting in salary expectations, which you always feel under pressure to not overstate in order to be in with a better chance. I put in a relatively modest sum that is worth less than I am, really, as a minimum, and this was, coincidentally, the precise amount that was offered at a later point in the interview).

I received an invitation to interview via employee administrative email about a month later, scheduled for the following week. The date they had pre-selected was inconvenient, and I would have preferred that they call to arrange, rather than assume my availability. Nevertheless, I was able to rearrange for another mutually convenient date (though the administrator's email response took 2 days and was rather blunt).

There was no one at the reception to the quite large and confusingly laid-out building, so I had to find the right office on my own, which made me a few minutes late. Even so, there was some waiting around in the office for my interviewers for around 10-15 minutes.

The interviewer that met with me was pleasant, and took me into a room to complete a handwritten blog-writing assignment. I was allowed 30 mins, and was vaguely asked to write about "my last holiday". No target audience, word count or other specifics/directions were given, which made it somewhat challenging, and slightly reminiscent of those back-to-school, post-half-term writing assignments. I realise that the handwritten aspect may have been to assess spelling etc., but not having computer access (for a computer-based job) was bizarre and inconvenient.

After this, I was taken back to the waiting area again while my interviewers read over my magnum opus. 5-10 mins later, I was taken into another room for the face-to-face interview with two interviewers (the marketing manager and the team member manager, who had shown me into the first room for the writing test).

This was fairly standard, with no particularly difficult questions. The main interviewer hadn't seemed to have checked over my CV very thoroughly in advance at all, and asked me some irrelevant and surface-skimming questions that showed this - not a good sign. Otherwise, I was mostly asked questions that arose from responses I had given as opposed to prepared questions, and asked general questions about qualities I had, rather than specific experience and skills. The interview did not last as long as I anticipated, and the main interviewer came across as quite tired and disinterested from start to finish. I even tried to lighten the atmosphere by cracking an innocuous joke at one point, which was met with stony silence. Geez.

I felt I performed well, but came away with the distinct impression they had already pretty much decided they would not employ me and did not like the fact that I lived over an hour away (a comment was made about how long it takes to drive from my address, but they did not seem interested enough to ask whether I would be willing to relocate or not - which I was). This made it seem that there was little I could have done to succeed in this situation, which left me feeling somewhat powerless and put out.

At the interview's conclusion, I asked if they would like to view my online portfolio, which they expressed an interest in. I emailed it that afternoon to their secretary to pass on, as I wasn't given their contact details. No one responded, but I instead received a rejection email the next day. Lovely.

Oh, and the email was automated and could not be responded to, so I was unable to get any feedback, either.

Interview Questions
    • Please hand-write a blog post about your last holiday.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England

interviewed at TUI Travel in May 2011.

There were about 12 people in my assessment centre group, each of them had a Master's degree (except from me) and I found this quite strange! Anyways, for me this was the 1st assessment centre and I found it quite stressful in the beginning!

There were about 6 people watching you and they take notes of every single word you say during the group excercises! Quite daunting! They watch very closely your BODY LANGUAGE so try and be positive and smile at everyone at any time! Try to aknowledge the contribution of each member of your group ! You have to show leadership behaviour but at the same time you should not seem like imposing yourself on the others...

The exercises would almost always require knowledge of a multiple of business functions i.e. marketing, finance etc. Try and take part in ALL discussions even if you don't feel as an expert in Finance (let's say) compared to someone in your group who has a MSc Finance degree! You have to appear confident and competent in EVERY ASPECT of the task never mind the division of tasks within the team! Otherwise they would grade you down!

They will ask for a lot of written feedback after each of the exercises so think about how you could show some self analysis!

They will be judging your analysis skills, presentation skills... everything! BUT always from the perspective of their VALUES! So try and always focus on showing how you are customer obsessed and incorporate all the things they stand for! Because in the end, the feedback will be structured around those values!

Tui International Leadership Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at TUI Travel in January 2013.

The hiring process consists in a application screening, a SWOT of oneself, standard tests (logic, verbal...), a phone interview and a 2-day long assessment center in Luton, UK.
    The hiring is done from the German head office by one person. It is not a point system.

Interview Questions
    • speednetworking:
      "trends in travelling industry"
      " a situation where you didnt take risk"
      " how to communicate strategy"
        View Answer

Trading Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at TUI Travel in June 2012.

The half day consisted of a group exercise, maths test, interview and commercial exercise. Really not what I was expecting at all. Make sure you are good at maths before applying as it is a maths based role (ratios, load factors, ect).

In the group exercise we had to decide out of two locations which would be the best to put another flight on for. This involved analysing a huge amount of data and justifying reasons for your decision with other team members.

The maths test purely focussed on things such as load factors, percentages and holiday prices. This was extremely difficult and not what I had prepared for. It isn't anything like one of the holiday rep exams that many people have commented about.

The interview was probably one of the easiest parts with some fairly standard questions asked (strengths, weaknesses, ect).

The commercial exercise was again similar to the group exercise and maths test - analysing variables such as load factors and stating the best/worst performing area. This was part of the actually interview and you were given 10 minutes to work out which the answers and then feed back to the two interviewers.

Interview Questions
    • State the best performing area of the year by analysing the factors displayed in the table. (Maths test question)   Answer Question

Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luton, East of England, England

The process took a day - interviewed at TUI Travel in April 2012.

-2-to-1 interview for 45 mins
    -group work for 1 hour
    -presentations
    -pairs work for problem solving
    -Role play

The location was not the best but very close to London.
    The office was really nice, showing very strong culture & very relaxed for Friday's seeing as it's casual dressing.

International Management Graduate Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hannover (Germany)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hannover (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at TUI Travel in November 2012.

Several steps:
    1. CV

2. SWAT analysis of yourself
    Be honest and show potential fit with tourism industry

3. Online logical and numerical tests
    Hard but only require hitting the minimum score. Time is big issue here

4. Behavioral Interview
    see below

5. Assessment Center
    see below

They have 3 assessment centers per year and hire around 5-8 people. Selection is tough and can take a lot of time

Interview Questions
    • In interview classical behavioral questions (failure, success, leading a team, steering a team towards your opinion, 3 reasons for applying, what makes you unique)

In assessment center (12 people), 6 different exercises. Two in pairs, two in groups and two individual.

Pairs: case analysis and discussion
      Groups: product innovation case, presentation and Q&A
      Individual: presentation and "speed-networking", 5 minutes talks with TUI managers about personal and business issues ( current challenges for industry, fit with company values etc)
        Answer Question

Yield Assistant Interview

We're committed to protecting our community from fraudulent submissions that might affect our ratings and reviews.

We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in the case that the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate action.

We will not post reviews containing:

•Rants, venting, or obscenities
    •Personal insults or defamatory attacks (by name, title, or association)
    •Aggressive or discriminatory language
    •Trade secrets or information protected by employer contracts
    •Content not relevant or helpful to our community

Interview Questions

Worked for TUI Travel? Contribute to the Community!