Target

Updated 19 Nov 2014
4,422 Interview Reviews

2.8

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target in September 2009.

The process was easy overall. They were very kind and helpful throughout the entire process. The interview was fairly casual and consisted of basic questions like "describe yourself in three words," "tell me about a difficult situation you overcame," and "how do you work with others." It was straightforward and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging situation you've found yourself in.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
    • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
    No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied on line and received a call 2days later to schedule for a one on one interview. I was given 2 interviews each lasting about 15minutes. The interviewers were very friendly but professional.
    Questions included Why Target, situational questions about guest services as well as Red card benefits.
    Also important are past experiences related to the job you are applying for.

No negotiation.

Flow Team Interview

interview with 2 different people. it was a very long process , and all the questions were very common questions. just for a seasonal position. It was very easy. The hiring videos were very common and boring.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

The process for the interview is a little bit different than other retail employers. I had to interview with a total of 3 different people. My initial interview was at 10:00am, then I had another interview at 10:15, and the last one around 10:45am. All of the interviewers asked the same question just in a different way. It was very interesting but I believe the interviewers wanted to see if the potential employee was going to change their answers during the interviews. There was also a personality assessment that you can take at the store or online before you come. After my three interviews I was offered the job and started my training for the position the following week.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewing process is the most difficult but not hard because of the similarity of questions.   Answer Question
    I asked was the pay negotiable but it was not due to the position being seasonal.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

1 round, on campus interview. My school is Target's bias, so we dont have to go through many interviews. Apply online, then interview, then got the job. Interview is not hard, just make sure to know about the Target culture, then highlight why you are a great fit

Interview Questions
    • Nothing. Just talk normally with the team member there. They are Sr. mgr   Answer Question

Soflines Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

I was called for an interview about three weeks after I submitted my application.When I went to the interview I had to take a personality tests along with other candidates and we had to watch a target info video over and over again.. and then I was called to be interviewed with the first manager and basically it was where I had to tell them about my experience handling people.I used my high school experience since this was my first job but the manager gave you plenty of time to think of your answer and he was really nice and friendly.Then I had to go back to the room with the other candidates until I was called for my second interview which was about 5 minutes later.This time I was interviewed by two executive team members ad they asked me a few basic questions about my personality etc..I was sent back to the room and another etl called me to their room to tell me that I was hired and I would have to take a drug test within 24 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What did you learn about Target from watching the Video?   View Answer

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Target.

I scheduled first interview at the career fair for my university. The interview was over the phone with a recruiter. She asked situational based questions like "tell me about a time you made a big mistake and how you handled it" or "tell me about a time that you used leverage to get someone to do something you wanted them to do". I was called about a second interview about a week later. The second interview was back to back with the third - Human Resource Manager and District Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to use effective communication.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Pedro, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Pedro, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Target.

The process took a long time. While the initial interviewing process was done within 2 weeks, it took them almost a month to let me know when my orientation date was. They then called me in and told me that the orientation was the next day. This did not give me much time to move around my schedule for this new position. It was very unprofessional and inconvenient.

Interview Questions
    • Do you see yourself growing within this organization? How?   Answer Question
    not able to negotiate. offered me minimum wage and then sent me on my way to get a drug test.