Target

Updated 28 Jan 2015
4,654 Interview Reviews

2.8

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target in September 2009.

The process was easy overall. They were very kind and helpful throughout the entire process. The interview was fairly casual and consisted of basic questions like "describe yourself in three words," "tell me about a difficult situation you overcame," and "how do you work with others." It was straightforward and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging situation you've found yourself in.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
    • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
    No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Executive Team Leader - Assets Protection Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Target.

3 different panel interviews. All situation/behavior/outcome based interview guides used. Make sure you go prepared with power stories that you want to share. Leadership is a super important quality. Don't be surprised if the process doesn't go very fast, there are a lot of schedules that need to be arranged when it comes to interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a time I challenged a superior.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate, I was happy with the offer.

Executive Team Leader - Logistics Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

The Process is lengthy. I am currently on interview number 5 and it has taken almost a month. The interviewers do a great job of keeping the atmosphere very casual.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Took about 3 days after submitting an application to get called in for an interview. Had to do another questionnaire at the store on one of the computers then went in for the interview. I had two interviews, the first was with a lead sales floor member and the second was with a hiring manager, they ask basic interview questions and it isn't a long interview. They told me I would hear back within the next 7 days so hoping it went as well as I feel it did.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time you worked in a team and explain the situation?
      Explain a time you went beyond what was expected of you?
      If a customer was lookjng for pair of shoes but there wasn't any in the right size what would you do?
      If an item came up as 19.99 but the customer says it was listed as 17.99 how would you handle the situation?

Answer Question

Executive Store Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Target.

two people was asking me questions. One of them was asking and another one was taking notes. They first asked me where I want to locate and those basic questions. after that, they start to ask questions which related with the position. There is no behavioral or like basic questions. Kind of medium-level difficulties. overall, it s alright

Interview Questions
    • tell me one time you provide excellent customer services.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

It was a very short and easy hiring process - 2 weeks. I went through two rounds of interviews with mid level associates to the exec of the team i was applying to. They asked me very short and simple questions and then I had a brief and easy writing test.

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Initial application is found online. Before meeting with an interviewer, a second assessment is given at the Target store. Interview consisted of two parts. First part involved a general meeting with one person with HR and the second part involved a different person from HR. Both interviews involved questions regarding availability, customer service, and employment experience. The interview process took about 1.5 hours. An offer was given at the end of the meetings (possibly due to the position being seasonal).

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer wanted a specific item and our store didn't carry it or it was out of stock?   View Answer
    N/A

Executive Store Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

I applied online and received a phone interview a few weeks later. The process was fairly quick and the interviewer called almost exactly when she said she would. I was an accounting major and they were looking for someone who wanted more long-term career aspirations in retail management. Overall was not an ideal fit for me personally after speaking with the interviewer. Know about the company and why you want to work there and your career goals for the future.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of tell me about a time including a time you showed leadership and worked with a team. Why Target?   Answer Question