Target Interview Questions

Updated 27 Apr 2015
5,000 Interview Reviews

2.8

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target in September 2009.

Interview

The process was easy overall. They were very kind and helpful throughout the entire process. The interview was fairly casual and consisted of basic questions like "describe yourself in three words," "tell me about a difficult situation you overcame," and "how do you work with others." It was straightforward and easy.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation you've found yourself in.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Executive Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

I submitted a candidate profile online for this position and received an email from a recruiter the next day to schedule a chat. I talked to the recruiter on the phone for a few minutes about what the interview process would be like and answered a few general questions about why I want to work for Target and what I was looking for in the job. The entire process consisted of phone interviews scheduled through a recruiter at corporate. My first interview was with a store leader and I had a second interview with another store leader a week later. Two days later, I interviewed with the district team leader and 5 days after that I had my final, extremely short, interview with a group director. The recruiter emailed me about an hour after my final interview and set up a time to call me with the offer.

All of the interviews started with "Tell Me About Yourself" and then some form of "Why Target?" Then all of the questions were situational and needed to be answered with the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action Taken, Result). There was time for questions at the end so I got to ask some things about the job and Target. The first store leader was so helpful and nice and gave me some great feedback on my interview. I had a great feeling about the interviews throughout the entire process; the final interview was only about 5 minutes and that made me quite nervous, but I ended up getting the email from the recruiter not too long after.

The most important thing during the process was being positive and rehearsing your answers ahead of time. I looked up so many questions on this site and others so I could be prepared with answers. It is very difficult to think clearly and answer questions with the STAR approach with no preparation.

I accepted the job offer and will be starting my Business College training after I graduate from college. I won't find out until a little while before I start where I will be training at and I won't find out the store I will be working in until I begin my training or even later than that.

Interview Questions

• These are all questions I was asked in the different interviews:

Tell me about a time you...
      -gave great guest service
      -made a mistake with significant impact
      -had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship
      -leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something
      -had to deliver constructive feedback
      -had to use active listening
      -had to take initiative to solve a problem
      -had to consult others on a decision that would affect them
      -received feedback you weren't expecting and how you handled it
      -changed your day to day activities because of a long-term goal
      -remained optimistic in in the face of difficulties
      -gave up a commitment to satisfy another

Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate because I was offered what I wanted. The salary is very competitive.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Target recruiters came to my university and I signed up for an interview. Interview day came and I had 2 interviews in one day. My third interview was about two weeks later with the District Team Leader in Springfield, VA.
    The questions are behavioral. You are to describe the situation. State the problem. How you solved it and the conclusion. Think greater scope. BE PREPARED !
    I did not get an offer but I will not stop! In the process of reapplying.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time you have great guest experience.
      Q: ...made a mistake with significant impact.
      Q: ... had a difference of opinion with someone but maintained a professional relationship.
      Q: ...leveraged a team or individual to accomplish something.
      Q: ...had to deliver constructive feedback.
      Q: ...had to take initiative to solve a problem.
      Q: ...had to consult others on a decision that would affect them.
      Q: ...had to change your day-to-day activities due to a long-term goal.
      Q: ...remained optimistic in the face of difficulties.
      Q: ...gave up a commitment to satisfy another.
      Q: ...received feedback that you weren't expected and how you handled it.

Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Target.

Interview

They had me watch a short video and then I waited for someone to interview me. They asked normal questions. The questions were about different situations and then about myself. The interview is fine as long as you don't freeze up like me.

Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target (San Diego, CA (US)).

Interview

Applied online as a part time/seasonal. Got a call 2 weeks later. During the phone conversation, was asked a few questions about my cashiering experience if I had any, and was told on the phone about the hourly wages and schedule commitment of at least 20 hours a week in which they asked if I was still interested in the job. I said I was and they scheduled an in-person interview that same week. During the inperson interview I was given a situational test to fill out before the interview. Afterwards, had my first interview with the cashier lead. From there had an interview with the manager. They noticed I had a really good tech background so they started to ask me questions about technology. I then had a 3rd interview with the lead from the electronics dept. After that I watched a video about working in the store. Afterwards had a last interview with the pervious manager again about the video and a few extra questions. I was then sent to meet up with the HR manager and was then offered a position on the spot for their electronics department or cashiering--whatever I wanted to do more. I ended up taking the electronics because it was more up my alley and has a higher pay. Overall, a very great experience. Had about 15 questions asked from me, almost all scenario based. Everyone was really friendly and

Interview Questions

• What would a previous supervisor/manager/teacher say are your best traits? What traits can you improve on?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you needed to prioritize a lot of different things and how did you manage it   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you went above and beyond for someone   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you're attitude changed the difference in a group of people or in a team   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you needed to stick up for yourself   Answer Question

Asset Protection Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Very brief easy going scenario type questions. You just come in and sit down with the manager and he explains situations and you answer how you might handle them

Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Contacted me promptly after I expressed interest in the position. The interview process was comfortable and informative. I met with 2 different managers in the same day. Most responsibilities were covered and my questions were addressed with efficient professionalism.

Interview Questions

• "How would you approach training a new operating system?"   Answer Question

The final offer was a different location.

Overnight Stocker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Kiosk Application and then 10 minuter interview. Interview was really informal and it was basically to make sure I was competent. The kiosk application was a lot more intense than the in-person interview. She told me by the ed of the interview that I got the job.

Food Ave Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Interview

Applied online through snagajob.com. Got an email for an in person interview about a week later. Sat down with the team lead and was asked situational questions mainly about my experience in people. Was offered the job at the end and gave me drug test papers.

Interview Questions

• What's a time you went out of your way for a customer? (Something like that)   Answer Question