Target Interview Questions

Updated 29 Oct 2014
4,300 Interview Reviews

2.8

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target in September 2009.

The process was easy overall. They were very kind and helpful throughout the entire process. The interview was fairly casual and consisted of basic questions like "describe yourself in three words," "tell me about a difficult situation you overcame," and "how do you work with others." It was straightforward and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging situation you've found yourself in.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target in October 2014.

First off, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted their interview experiences here, I definitely credit reading all of these to helping me get the job! If you're here because you're about to have an interview, if you read up here I think you'll do just fine (:

Allow me to also mention that the position I applied for was seasonal, but it doesn't seem like the interviewing process is any different at all.

When I applied for Target online, I was also applying for many other places, so I can't be sure how long it took for them to call me, but it was at least a week. They called me on a Monday, but I missed it and I called them back on a Tuesday. We set up a phone interview for 11am on Wednesday. On Wednesday, however, they didn't call me at the time they said (on the phone they did say this was a possibility, but to call the store after 15 minutes). I decided to give them an extra 30, and was about to call them around 11:30 when they called me. The phone interview was not with who I was told it was going to be, which of course is fine but gave me a bit of a look at how hectic of a workplace it may be.

The phone interview was 7 questions, asking things such as strengths and weaknesses, what my previous boss/coworkers thought of my work, a time where I went above and beyond at work, a time I worked as a team, a time where I worked in a time crunch, and questions about my availability. After I finished all the questions, the interviewer (who I found out is the Team Leader, so it may be the same in your case) told me she would recommend me for a second interview, and told me I'd be getting a call within the next week to schedule an in-person interview with an executive (sounds a bit intimidating, but it wasn't!). I got a call on Friday to schedule my second interview the following Monday.

When I got to the store, I was told to take a questionnaire on the in-store kiosks, which was about 20 questions long and very similar to the online application. I don't really remember any of them, but they were multiple choice, composed of scenario based questions and you had to chose the best response and the worst response for that situation. It was really easy. After the questionnaire I was told to go upstairs and let HR know I was there. I ended up waiting for about 30 minutes, because the managers ended up taking a late lunch, but after reading these reviews I expected to wait a while.

The interview was fairly easy, with pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, just reworded. They also asked me the same "What would you do if" questions they asked everyone else, about the out of stock shoe size and the customer who claimed the item was $17 when it rings up for $19 (A lot of people on glassdoor have said to just trust the customer, and my answer was something along the lines of 'trust the customer if it's not a big deal, if it is a great amount then ask another employee to check the price in a way that doesn't sound like i don't trust the customer' but all in all, i couldn't really tell what answer they were looking for). She asked if I was interested in hardlines or softlines, so have an idea of what area you'd like to work in before your interview (at the store I was applying to, hardlines is simply the tiled parts of the floor and softlines is the carpeted part of the floor. Softlines was clothes, hardlines was everything else). If you truly aren't sure at the time, I was told that you are able to transfer after you've decided, but it's possible that that's only at that particular Target. I was told I did well in the interview, and that when I went back in the break room, I would be job offered on the spot.

During my job offering, I was told it'd be $8.50 an hour, and I would not be drug tested (though this seemed a bit unusual, so expect a drug test). I was told I'd have an orientation within a few weeks.

Overall I had a very good experience, even though I was very nervous!

Interview Questions
    • If you read the questions they asked other people in the reviews on glassdoor, you'll be fine (:   Answer Question
    No negotiation, but I wasn't planning to either way.

Executive Team Leader - Replenishment Interview

I applied for the position and was contacted by HR. You interview with multiple higher level managers. The questions themselves are pretty routine, but each interviewer has a different set. They're all "Tell me about a time" questions. So have a 5 - 10 stories about experiences you had working or in school (for new grads) that you can relate to different facets of leadership. The questions are all organized around Target's leadership qualities, so each question is supposed to help determine if you have these qualities. These are the leadership expectations, broken down by functional area (Personal, Team, Thought, and Results):
    PERSONAL:
    RESULTS:
    Manages execution
    Drives for results
    Maximizes productivity

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a coworker or superior you struggled with and couldn't agree. I'm paraphrasing but it was something along those lines.   Answer Question

Flow Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

First I was called to come in for an in person interview. Then an hour before my interview they called and told me it was going to take place over the phone. After I passed the phone interview I was scheduled for an in person interview. Had to wait around in the back for a while because they were doing lots of interviews - people don't stay in this job for very long and I understand why.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - all the standard questions - Why do you want to work at Target? Tell me about an experience when...? ... All generic questions read off of a stander sheet.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation. But they do give you an opportunity to change your availability before you accept - after that you can't change your availability for 3 months.

Executive Store Interview

The interview was based in behavioral questions, there were many of them. It was not a difficult interview. As long as you know what to say in the specific situations you will be fine. The interview lasted 30 minutes.

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Target.

This position is typically only hired within. Executive Team Leaders are the position before. All interviews consist of about four before being accepted in to the position. These interviews are about four situational questions that you judge your leadership abilities in areas like communication, courage, strategy and relating to others.

I did not negotiate.

Executive Store Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Target.

They came to my campus career fair, spoke to me for several minutes before asking for my resume. After she viewed it and spoke to me for about 5 more minutes, then gave me an opportunity to sign up for an interview on the very next day. The interview consisted of all behavioral questions. For second round, you interviewed in the store you're being hired by by a district team leader. This person also asked entirely behavior based questions.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral- Why Target? Tell me about a time when you were unsuccessful and how you handled it? Tell me about a time you did something wrong and received feedback and how you handled that feedback?   Answer Question

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Submitted an on-line application then was contacted via phone a few weeks later. Interview was set-up immediately, for the following Day. Typical retail back office environment - not overly friendly. Sort of a mixed bag, some of the employees would smile and make eye contact while others simply ignored your presence. There was a bit of a wait but the interviewing manager was awesome. If you get through the first round, you will need to meet with two other team members. If you knock their socks off, you will be made an offer that same day.

Interview Questions
    • Study the top ten interview questions, you will be asked. Strengths/Weaknesses - Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

It probably would have been a great opportunity, but the schedule is not very flexible, and the entry level pay is just too low. Perfect for students, seniors, or those who have a good support system for childcare at home.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Target.

Applied online, got emailed back in a week. Asked if I could work certain dates, why I wanted to work there, what my preferred hours would be, etc. Scheduled an interview for a week later. Told to finish application questionnaire at Kiosk in store. Interview went well. Talked with the first guy, he told me a little about Target, and their goals, etc. he asked the times and dates I could work, and 3 interview questions, which were basically "name a time when... and what you did in that situation". Asked me why I want to work for Target, what I could bring to the team. Pretty easy. I was asked to go back to the waiting room. 2nd interviewer came and got me within 5 minutes. She asked me 3 more interview questions, which were "what would you do in this situation...". She told me about Target, and and conversed a little, and had me wait in the waiting room again. A third person came and got me, and took me into their office to set up a job offer. Asked the hours I could work, explained the wage, etc. Now just waiting for the background check to come back, and off to orientation on Monday!

Interview Questions
    • A woman comes up to you, looking for a specific pair of shoes. You don't work in shoes, and don't even know if they're in stock. You take her over to the shoes, and the size she wants aren't there. What do you do?   Answer Question
    I didn't need to negotiate, it was my first job, and I was happy with getting it in the first place.