Target

3,626 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in September 2009.

Interview Details The process was easy overall. They were very kind and helpful throughout the entire process. The interview was fairly casual and consisted of basic questions like "describe yourself in three words," "tell me about a difficult situation you overcame," and "how do you work with others." It was straightforward and easy.

Interview Question – Describe a challenging situation you've found yourself in.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Leader Interview

Interview Details 1st: apply online
2nd: they'll call if you meet qualifications
3rd: 1 st interview is with the Team Leader over the phone (Target just started doing this about two years ago, I think it was a horrible idea, it's very informal and not personal at all!)
4th: If team leader likes the phone conversation, they'll call you in for a second interview (in person) with their Executive Team Leader.
5th: If the ETL likes you, HR clerical will come out and give you a job offer (at this time you are offered pay rate)
6th: required drug test within 24hours (if not taken within the time frame, you will be disqualified from the position)
7th: once drug test passes, than you are called in for orientation. (about an 8 hours day/paid with the last 2-3 hours of shadow cashier training)

Interview Question – Their interview questions are all "Tell me about a time" They want to know specifics: what was the Situation, What you did about it, and what was the outcome (Bonus: tell them what you learned from this situation) is how most target employers like you to answer their questions.

Most Difficult Question for a entry level candidate: Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a peer and what did you do to solve that disagreement (not an exact question, can't really remember any but questions are something similar).

Another question that candidates seem to find difficult (which is actually simple) What are your good qualities and what do you need to improve on? (do not say you do not have anything to improcve; everyone does!)
  Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details Was hired as a seasonal cashier before I got brought on as a regular team member. They do two interviews while there. First is to see if you are a good fit for the position and the second is to see if that person thinks you're a good fit as well. They really like when you use the STAR method to answer questions.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Target?   Answer Question

Store Team Leader Interview

I applied through other source and interviewed at Target.

Interview Details Several Rounds of Interviews with an escalating hierarchy of managers up to the Regional Vice President. Each interview round will be 4-5 set questions and then additional "off the cuff" questions. The set questions for each round will be similar "Tell me about a time..." based behavioral interview questions. Many will focus on a time when you made mistakes. Ideally the interviewers are looking to see if you can be concise with your responses while highlighting your "leadership actions". Formating answers with 1)Short intro, 2) 3-4 bullet pointed leadership/follow up actions, and 3) short conclusion with quantifiable outcomes is the best way to answer.

Be prepared to be Interviewed up to 6 different times in a variety of phone, face-to-face and video conference settings.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to make a decision without all the necessary information in a short amount of time?   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Greer, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details Had phone interview with professional man, set up time to come in for interview.
Took assessment at the store before interview.
Waited in back room along with five other candidates.
Made us all watch video. Then called individually for 1:1 interview...with two very young interviewers.
1.5 hours later I was finally interviewed by the two unqualified interviewers.
Was given a 800# to call confidentially and was told its to find out if Target gets tax credits if we hire you.
Was told I would be making a lot less than the 8.75 I would make at another location.
Still let them know I was interested.
Said I'd be hearing from them in a few days.
Received generic turndown email from the Greer, SC store.

Interview Question – what are your greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question

Overnight Flow Team Member Interview

Tucson, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in June 2013.

Interview Details The interview took place in two parts. I first had an interview with a general manager; the interview was a general interview for working at Target, not for a specific position. The second interview was with an overnight manager. As such, the interview was not until 10 pm, which was an odd experience.
Two days later I received a call with a job offer.

Interview Question – A woman is looking for shoes for her young child. There do not appear to be any shoes of a style that she likes on the rack in front of her. How do you proceed?   Answer Question

Wichita, KS (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call back from Target within a few days. I was called in for a first interview. I was interviewed by a direct supervisor for the front end. He asked a few situational questions. The interviewer wrote down everything. It was a 10 minute interview. I was called back for a second interview. It was basically the same as the first except for higher up people in the company. It was brief as well. An HR representative came in after and offered me a position pending a drug and background test.

Interview Question – Why Target? Strengths/weaknesses   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Sale Floor Team Member Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Target.

Interview Details Typically starts off with an initial phone interview. Questions include: Tell me about a time you had a lot to do in a short period of time, how did you manage that situation? Tell me about a time you had to work in a group to accomplish a goal. And tell me about a time you exceeded someones expectations.
After you pass the first interview you move on to a face to face. Sometimes they will both be face to face. It just depends.

Interview Question – They are not very difficult questions, but they can tell if you have prepared or not.   Answer Question

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

McKinney, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in November 2012.

Interview Details easy interview, customer service oriented questions,

Negotiation Details – only an hourly position

Very Easy Interview

Sales Attendant, Cart Attendant, Cashier Interview

Louisville, KY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Target in March 2010.

Interview Details Very simple. I filled out a questionnaire then had a single interview to get the job.

Interview Question – All the questions we're amazingly basic. Was my first job so most of the questions were not applicable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Interviews for Top Jobs at Target

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Target interview questions and advice. All 3,626 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Target employees and interview candidates.