Target Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 27, 2014
4,054 interviews

2.8

Cashier Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Target in September 2009.

The process was easy overall. They were very kind and helpful throughout the entire process. The interview was fairly casual and consisted of basic questions like "describe yourself in three words," "tell me about a difficult situation you overcame," and "how do you work with others." It was straightforward and easy.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenging situation you've found yourself in.   Answer Question

Executive Team Leader Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in May 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through email. I would definitely advise anyone to get a recruiters email (go on to linkedin to find a recruiter) , if you are serious about working for this company. Contacting a recruiter seems to be the best way to actually getting an interview. Once I was contacted, we set up an interview time. So the first interview was over the phone. If you prepare, you will be fine. Make sure you also prepare yourself for the easy questions like "Tell me about yourself and Why do you want to work for Target". On top of those questions, the interviewer asked about 5 questions dealing with a specific event (i.e. Tell me about a time....). After the first interview, I was contacted that same day to schedule an in person interview with 3 different managers (district manager, store manager, and human resource business partner). My second interview was scheduled within a couple of days. It was the same style as the first interview. They may ask you the same questions. Don't be afraid to repeat your same answer. After the interview, I was told that if they wanted to pursue to the next step I would be contacted. Sure enough I was contacted a few days later to schedule my final interview with the big boss (market leader). My third interview was conducted over the phone and once again its the same style. I was contacted the next day and offered the position. I told God when he blessed me with this position that I would try to help people get to where I'm going. So my advice would be to prepare as much as possible with the interview questions that is provided on this website, research on Target, ask yourself what are your strengths/weaknesses, who are you as an individual (they really want to get to know who you are), relax, pray, and be yourself. A lot of people may say they are going to work you, well all jobs will work you but target will compensate you very well. Good luck and I hope this post helps you. It is an intense interview process but its quick. Process took a little over a week........ The interviewers are really really nice. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Concord, NC (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Concord, NC (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Target in July 2014.

-- I apologize in advance for the lengthy explanation. I attempted to cover everything as efficiently yet thoroughly as possible in case it would be informative or useful for someone. For everyone else, see the "TL;DR" (Too Long; Didn't Read) at the bottom. --

I applied online (6/24) for a few positions of interest, namely Sales Floor and Cashier. I followed up over the phone a few times before someone finally called back (7/05), and a phone interview was scheduled for the next day. The woman who conducted the interview asked a few basic scenario questions (e.g. "When was a time you sold something?"). Then she answered questions. She was polite and patient overall. I was told that my second interview should be in 2-3 days. However, it instead took over a week and following up again with the clerical team. Then someone called (7/15) to schedule my second interview.

When I finally walked in for my second interview (7/24), I went to Guest Services as instructed. Nobody initially seemed to know what to do with me. They placed me at one of their red application kiosks to complete a questionnaire. (There were about 50 questions, but every two were identical by glitch.) Then I informed whomever was available that I was done. I waited around quite a while, roughly 15-30 minutes if not longer, before someone showed up. A female Trainer escorted me to offices in the back and showed me two short videos about a few job positions.

After I watched the videos, I sat down with the Trainer and a management trainee for the interview. They were both amazingly helpful and positive. They answered any questions I had about the company/job. I learned about morning "Team Huddles", "4x4" (stock check), and auto-generated work schedules. The Trainer asked around five basic scenario questions from a paper (e.g. "When was a time something didn't go as planned?"). Then they walked me around the store to explain hardlines/softlines and the store layout.

Then I was taken to a manager's office. The manager went over the available positions and asked which one I would be interested in. I went for Cashier. She asked if I would accept the job if she offered it, to which I said "yes." I was informed that I would be contacted within a week before orientation. She handed a sheet with information to take to the in-store Clinic. I followed the procedures and completed the drug test then and there. Afterwards, I left the store and followed up a week later. I was told that the employment offer was declined due to pending charges on my background check.

----
    TL;DR:
    Applied online and followed up. Phone interview 11 days later that involved a few scenario questions. More following up. In-person interview 18 days later with short videos and more scenario questions. Talked to another manager. Drug test at in-store clinic. Followed up a few days later to learn my offer was declined.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time you helped a customer?   View Answer

ETL Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Target.

Had 2 phone interviews and then 2 in person interviews and then one final phone interview. The questions were the usual behavioral questions that have been posted here before. For example, name a time when you had to work on a group project. It was a pretty long interview process overall. The phone interviews were with current Store Managers in your district. Then, you have an in person interview with another Store Manager. Then, you have an in person interview with your District Manager. Then, you have a final phone screen with a few higher group managers that only asked a couple questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was why I chose to go to the college I went to. They seemed to be looking for someone who goes after what they want and is sure of what they want which is why the question was posed. That being said, it threw me off a bit.   Answer Question

Pharmacist Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

initial phone interview with pharmacist. Complete an application on Target careers online. Facetime interview the next business day with regional manager. All "tell me about a when..." type questions. Started out with telling about myself. Asked why I want to work for Target. Asked to tell about a time when I had to prioritize

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you recieved 2 conflicting pieces of information & had to make a decision   Answer Question

Instocks Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Springfield, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OH (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Filled out an application online. Got called back a couple days later. Went to an interview and got hired that same day.

The Interview is in 3 parts and if you get to the third you most likely got hired.

Target Back Room Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Interviewed with two different team leaders and was asked a lot of questions about my reactions in specific situations. Definitely a much more involved interview than I expected. Seems as though they really want to make sure they're hiring good people

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you provided customer service that was above and beyond

Why do you want to be a target back room team member?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation, $8.50 take it or leave it. Waiting to be called back for orientation

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I applied online in Late June, a week or so later I got a call asking if I was still interested in a job and to come in tomorrow for an interview. Unfortunately I couldn't make it. However, Early August, they call, ask if I am still interested, to which I am and schedule an in person interview. First interview was on Wednesday, Second was on Friday, and they told me to come in Wednesday to which they offered me the job. As long as you are prepared for the questions you will do fine.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't any negotiations, very flexible with scheduling hours however.

Flow Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Glen Allen, VA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

I applied online and within a week I received a call from HR to schedule a assessment at the store location. I went in for the assessment & even though it was a quick assessment there were some basic questions, but some questions I would like a calculator or some paper & a pen/pencil to work out the questions. After I took the assessment, I met with HR personnel and then had a interview with two different team members, one was a flow team member/leader (unsure of her title) and then HR ETL. They both asked the same general questions like: why do you want to work with Target, do you have prior experience for the position you applied for, the hours of the position was explained and then I was asked if I was able to work the hours, describe a time when you made a mistake and how did you feel about it and what did you learn from the mistake. The HR ETL that I interviewed with asked if a customer stated something was ringing up at a different price than the price sign, what would I do and what would I do if all team members were busy (would I change the price for the customer). After I passed both interviews, I went into a room with the HR personnel and I was offered the job and was given a lab order for a drug test (that has to be done within 24 hrs) and sign a consent for a background check. My drug test & background check was cleared & I was called within 3-4 days after my interviews. I then was told to come for orientation & given instructions to wear a Red shirt & khakis.

Orientation was not bad at all. Quick videos with some reading & questions from the HR ETL, a store tour, benefits and perks were explained (you also receive a new hire folder with a handbook)
    and quick introductions to some team members. There was juice, lemonade, and cookies provided during the orientation. Two week schedules were given during the conclusion of the orientation.

Interview Questions
    • The in-store assessment had a couple questions that made me really think hard and I would have preferred to have a calculator or paper to work the problems out.   Answer Question
    The early morning flow team members get a $1.00 pay differential for hrs worked before 8 AM.

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Target in August 2014.

Requires 2 interviews with the first being a "weeding out" process. First interview asks you situational questions while second one includes drug test and more personal questions. Fairly easy process and the interviewers seemed pretty nice. The whole interview process probably didn't take more than a couple hours combined.

Poor Salary

Worked for Target? Contribute to the Community!