Teach for America

3.5

128 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions
  • Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   View Answer

My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

They are really looking for people that have coveted college degree and solid internships from blue-chip company, because for TFA corps members are its product, which they use to sell their "mission." Do your best to present yourself accordingly and convince them that YOU will make them look good when they sell you to their partnering schools. Look up "exit ticket"...and use it in your 5 minute demo.

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Corps Member Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Corps Member Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

You apply online then you may be selected to a phone interview. Then you may be selected to the inperson group interview. I didnt get past the phone interview, though I hit t off with my interviewer. It's understandable--I know the interviewers don't have power over who can move on or not just because you had a great conversation. It was a behavioral interview, so be prepared for that. They really look for leaders and people who overcome hard situations who are good problem solvers and multitaskers.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long and involves a lot of periodic submissions (online activity, transcript, recommendations, etc.) My original application paid off, however, and I didn't have to participate in the phone interviews which helped me focus more on the other parts of the application process.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

The hiring and interview process was quite simple and predictable. Apply, receive online notification. Receive phone interview, receive in-person interview (group interview, model lesson, individual interview). Several weeks later receive decision notification.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine that you work in a failing school evidenced by student achievement data. Students do not want to come to school, parents are not involved, teachers have low morale. Which of these constituent groups is the key to success in turning the school around? What would you do with this one constituent group to fix their collective problem?   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

A very standard interview, besides the group part. But don't be intimidated by that; I believe they use it to weed out those with public speaking issues and those who are so antisocial that they can't fake it for 10 minutes. The one on one was simple. Simple questions, give simple/honest answers. But make sure to tell them you will not quit; that's what TFA is looking for (people who won't quit no matter how ridiculous their situation).

Interview Questions
    No negotiation or even decisions to be had; you say yes and they place you without you having any say.