Teach for America

Average Difficulty
115 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Question – Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Interview Question – What would make you quit teaching?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details Long interview process that begins with a lengthy application. Then it is followed by phone interview and if you make it to the next round it is an in person interview that lasts about 4 hours.

Interview Question – Why Teach For America?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details The process has three rounds. Application, Telephone Interview, Group interview. The questions focus on your ability to be a team player and your ability to work with others in various situations.

Interview Question – We were given a scenario that could occur in the school and how you would handle that case   Answer Question

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Began with the online application and essays, from there moved to a phone interview and then a full day final interview that consisted of a sample lesson teach, group discussion and one on one interview.

Interview Question – What is a policy you did not agree with, but were expected to follow?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The location I was matched with was not my first choice.

Corp Member Interview

Corp Member
Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview Details First, an online form is filled out, where you answer questions about you, your experience, etc. You also upload a resume. If you advance, there is a phone interview. If you advance past that, there is a day-long, in-person interview. The interview includes a teaching sample, small group work, and a personal interview.

Interview Question – They ask you to go into great detail of a time when you overcame a problem.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Corps Member

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Question – TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

Corp Member

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

Interview Details i had a phone interview as well as the day long group interview a few weeks later. Both experiences were generally pleasant. I enjoy talking about education and issues related to it, so I tended to ramble. The phone interview was casual, with questions about "a time when you were challenged" and "what is your organization style."

Interview Question – Actually describing your organization and scheduling style required me to think about why I do what I do.   Answer Question

Corps Member

Interview Details You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.

Interview Questions

Very Difficult Interview

Corps Member

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed a deadline?   Answer Question

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!