Teach for America Corps Member Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr 2015
Updated 7 Apr 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (London, England).

Interview

Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions

• Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   1 Answer

My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

Interview

They are really looking for people that have coveted college degree and solid internships from blue-chip company, because for TFA corps members are its product, which they use to sell their "mission." Do your best to present yourself accordingly and convince them that YOU will make them look good when they sell you to their partnering schools. Look up "exit ticket"...and use it in your 5 minute demo.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO (US)).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Disliked phone interview, interrogation style. Final, in person interview was filled with group activities. I enjoyed the micro teach, but the group work was chaotic. There were about 15 people interviewing and everyone was trying to talk over one another. After I got the offer, I literally was called three times a day. They can be incredibly aggressive and this attitude ultimately made me not accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview: Asked extreme detail about of my previous jobs. A lot of how I felt and why I reacted that way.   Answer Question

Incredibly aggressive recruitment technique. I did not feel respected and got some bad vibes.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Atlanta, GA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

After completing an online application consisting of questions regarding background information and past experiences I was selected for a phone interview. I was able to choose a day and time online. I was contacted by a TFA representative who conducted the interview. It was very formal and structred. I was then contacted for an in person interview which consisted of a sample teaching lesson, group activity and one on one interview. Be prepared for your lesson and participate during the group activity. The in person interview was much like the phone interview asking most of the same standard questions. Be able to explain every detail of your resume. You never know what they may reference.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Very long process: applied in December, decision not available till March. Three rounds of interview: Phone interview, online interview/quiz, final interview at a local university. Final interview was very straightforward. TFA does good job at laying out the expectations of the final interview. Final interview requires a 5-minute lesson plan where you can teach whatever you want. be creative and engaging. Don't just sit there and speak.

Interview Questions

• Why TFA? Why not another teaching organization like Fellows?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Philadelphia, PA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Lengthy and detailed online application. ~Two hour online exercise. I was able to skip the phone interview step and moved directly to final interview. Final interview was exactly how they describe it on the website. Group interview, Teach a 5 minute lesson, Q & A session, group activity, then individual interviews. Advice: ask questions that make your fellow applicants look good during their lessons and they'll ask nice ones back. Come prepared with questions for the Q & A session, no one had questions in my group (10 of us) so I got to ask 2 questions that helped demonstrate my interest. Don't ask a question that's already addressed online somewhere or that is very specific (e.g., can I teach in NY if I pass my PA state exams?) For the individual interview, they really let you elaborate on your answers so don't be shy! They focused on my leadership activity that I had spent the most time on. They also asked a lot about my thesis. My interviewer and I clicked on a certain topic in education reform and went on that tangent for a while, if you're passionate about educational reform, let it show--because your interviewer probably is to!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a corps member?
      Talk about a time you had to work in a group for your *insert leadership activity*.
      Talk about a time you had difficulty working with another person.

Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First is the online application, which was pretty straightforward. The next step is the phone interview. Mine took about 45 minutes and was pretty thorough, but it was very helpful later as I prepared for the final interview. My interviewer was very nice! The final interview is the last step. It begins with the sample teaching lessons. The other interviewees and interviewers (I had two) act as your students. It was pretty relaxed, but you have to be organized! The ten minute time limit is very serious. The group portion involves readings you are assigned ahead of time. Everyone was considerate and this portion was a good time to show leadership and cooperation. The final part is the one on one interview. It was very similar to the phone interview, I was even asked a few of the exact same questions. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. She focused on one service activity that I had participated in the longest.