Teach for America

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   View Answer

My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

They are really looking for people that have coveted college degree and solid internships from blue-chip company, because for TFA corps members are its product, which they use to sell their "mission." Do your best to present yourself accordingly and convince them that YOU will make them look good when they sell you to their partnering schools. Look up "exit ticket"...and use it in your 5 minute demo.

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Teaching Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2009.

i just send them my cv and they mail me back for online interview

Interview Questions

i was not in the condition to move on the time.

Teaching Position Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process takes about a month. There are many components: application, phone interview, 2 recommendations, test, and a whole day interview. The day interview consisted of four parts. Each candidate prepares a teaching sample. Then, here is a group activity followed by questions. In the afternoon, each candidate has a personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a students in being unresponsive?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions
    • What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Starts off with basic GPA and general info. The next round is a phone interview and short essay questionaire. All of the interviewers were personal and easy to talk with. The final round involved a five minute lesson plan, a group activity, and a one on one interview. Make sure that you positively contribute to the group activity, and listen to the other applicants ideas. The one on one interview was easy going and friendly.

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions
    Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.