Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (London, England).

Interview

Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions

• Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   1 Answer

My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

Interview

They are really looking for people that have coveted college degree and solid internships from blue-chip company, because for TFA corps members are its product, which they use to sell their "mission." Do your best to present yourself accordingly and convince them that YOU will make them look good when they sell you to their partnering schools. Look up "exit ticket"...and use it in your 5 minute demo.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Teaching Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Teach for America (City of London, England) in April 2009.

Interview

i just send them my cv and they mail me back for online interview

Interview Questions

• why u choose our country for job ?   1 Answer
    • how you will tackle the students ?   1 Answer

i was not in the condition to move on the time.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Very friendly and kind. There is an online application an then a phone interview and then a in person interview. You will have to do a sample lesson for 5 minutes, as well.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

The phone interview is first, and is anywhere from 30minutes to 1 hour. Some people get invited straight to the final interview, though. The final interview process seemed to be heavily dependent upon your sample teaching lesson. Be sure to be creative! I wish I had known what to expect prior to my interview. The guidelines were so vague I had no clue if what I was doing was what was expected of me. There will also be a group activity where you have a certain amount of time to come up with a decision about a given scenario as a group.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest college course?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

First there was an Online Application which included resumee, letter of intent and also transcript. This was followed by a phone interview. I applied twice. One year I was not asked to go beyond phone interview. (I was informed I was not selected via email.) The second time I applied I passed the phone interview, was notified a few days later that I was selected for an in-person, day-long assessment which would include a 20 min teaching lesson & interview. I feel my lesson went well, however maybe the interview didn't. I requested to know more after receiving a rejection via email. Since there were 2 evaporators there it would have been nice to have a couple of reasons as to why, especially since I had applied before. I wrote an email to this effect but was told there were too many applicants. Since I did not know why I had been rejected I did not apply again.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you do to improve schools?
      Q: Under what circumstances would you leave?
      Q: Why do you think you would be a valuable teacher?

Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Denver, CO (US)).

Interview

After submitting my application, I was asked several weeks later about attending an interview in person. The interview style was very unique - it was an all day process. There were 2 interviewers and a group of several of us. In the morning, we all gave 5 minute lessons we had previously prepared as well as a group problem solving activity and individual interviews in the afternoon. We all had to pick a time to sign up for, some people had to wait several hours between the group interview and their individual time. The one on one interview asked very standard questions, I was mostly asked to elaborate on responses to application questions and things on my resume.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

It was the phone interview which is the next part from the application. It took about 30 to 40 minutes. It was not too bad. Although they did call sooner than we had planned to converse. I believe they called at about 8 in the morning when the interview was supposed to be 10am.

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Application with a few short response prompts, phone interview, online activity, then final day with 5 min. mock lesson, group discussion/project, and 1 on 1 interview. Entire process took about 3 months from initial application to final notification. Phone interview went well and was relatively relaxed, but 1 on 1 in person interview was a lot more challenging and intimidating. They repeated a few of the same questions from the phone interview, which got a little confusing because it wasn't clear if they wanted the same answer again or something different. Overall still a nice experience, and I'm glad to have gotten the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you failed at something and how you responded to that.   Answer Question