Teach for America

Updated 25 Nov 2014

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   View Answer

My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

They are really looking for people that have coveted college degree and solid internships from blue-chip company, because for TFA corps members are its product, which they use to sell their "mission." Do your best to present yourself accordingly and convince them that YOU will make them look good when they sell you to their partnering schools. Look up "exit ticket"...and use it in your 5 minute demo.

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Teaching Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2009.

i just send them my cv and they mail me back for online interview

Interview Questions

i was not in the condition to move on the time.

Applying for TFA Interview

Gives 2 interviews - one over phone and one in person. I have heard they are very different in content. I was surprised they asked a lot of questions about my personal resume. It was a bit awkward with pauses because my interviewer was writing a lot of my information down while talking to me. Otherwise, a typical job interview. Be honest and do your best.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

I went through 4 interviews over the span of 3 months for an assistant position. The interview process went by very fast once I passed through the HR screening but the regional team seemed to be very unorganized in terms of who will manage the position

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a lot of questions about my values which I did not think were relevant to the position at all but I understand that as an org, TFA wants to hire more of the same   Answer Question
    did not negotiate

Corps Member Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

The process is kind of long but not as stressful as I assumed it would be. First the application, then the phone interview, then the final interview. From what I hear, the final interview isn't a direct competition with other applicants; basically, if they feel like everyone in your group would best suit the program they will hire everyone in the group (I think this is rare but the good thing is, they don't have a set number of applicants they have to accept each period).

Interview Questions

I did not want to move to the area they suggested.

Corps Member Interview

You apply online then you may be selected to a phone interview. Then you may be selected to the inperson group interview. I didnt get past the phone interview, though I hit t off with my interviewer. It's understandable--I know the interviewers don't have power over who can move on or not just because you had a great conversation. It was a behavioral interview, so be prepared for that. They really look for leaders and people who overcome hard situations who are good problem solvers and multitaskers.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The initial step of the process is a lengthy application, complete with GPAs by school year, personal statements and short answer questions, examples of your leadership, etc.

After this step, they notify the applicants that are moving to the next round that they must have a phone interview. Roughly 50% of applicants will be released after this round, as their website states.

Following this interview, you will either be released or invited to the final round. Before the final interview, you must then complete an online task which includes a timed exam to measure your critical thinking skills, followed by a few short answer questions which are not timed. Bonus points for incorporating any of their values in this step! There isn't much you can do to prepare for this portion, it's just a way to measure how quickly and accurately you are able to analyze situations.

The day of the final interview, you will be in a group of 6-12 other applicants and 2-4 interviewers. You must first give a 5 minute teaching sample. This was kind of a waste of time, but whatever, it's required. Afterward there is a "group task," basically to see how you are able to collaborate and work with others. This was easy, they give you a situation which you resolve alone, then come back together to discuss it as a group. My whole group agreed, so we didn't have much to talk about. Lastly will come the actual interview. At this point, there isn't much about you that they don't already know. ALL of my questions were repeated directly from my phone interview, which was extremely frustrating.

After the final round, they will give you 2 weeks to wait until you hear back, and then will have 2 weeks to accept the job or not.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to do Teach For America over AmeriCorps?   Answer Question

I wasn't willing to move to the location in which I had been placed.