Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct 2014

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   View Answer

My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2013.

They are really looking for people that have coveted college degree and solid internships from blue-chip company, because for TFA corps members are its product, which they use to sell their "mission." Do your best to present yourself accordingly and convince them that YOU will make them look good when they sell you to their partnering schools. Look up "exit ticket"...and use it in your 5 minute demo.

No negotiation.

Corps Member Interview

Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Teaching Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2009.

i just send them my cv and they mail me back for online interview

Interview Questions

i was not in the condition to move on the time.

Institute Operations Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, followed by phone interview, interview activity, and another phone interview. Talked with previous employees and then the operations manager for the training institute. Overall a very positive interview process.

If you want to work at a specific institute, make sure you notate that on your application, otherwise they will really send you anywhere (which is kinda great too!).

TFA Corps Member Interview

Very rigorous. 2 phone interviews. One 8 hour battery day. 6 weeks institute. More interviews with districts. Then you begin. This process is very cumbersome for the actually pay you will receive. The experiences and education will gain will be very beneficially but its not the ideal way to go if you can get into better jobs out of college.

Interview Questions
    • Present a mock lesson in front of 20 - 40 other applicants. Additionally, do not disclose too many biases or preferences. They read into so much about what you think and believe. If you are conservative, you will have a hard time finding similar minded people.   Answer Question
    Where do you want to go?

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is long and involves a lot of periodic submissions (online activity, transcript, recommendations, etc.) My original application paid off, however, and I didn't have to participate in the phone interviews which helped me focus more on the other parts of the application process.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The application and interview process is clearly defined on their website. It consists of three stages: extensive application, phone interview, and final interview. The application and phone interview are straight forward enough. In the phone interview they asked questions like "Describe a conflict that you had with another co-worker or person and how you resolved it" or "How do you stay organized." The final interview consisted of a five minute teaching sample (be prepared beforehand), a group problem solving exercise, and then a one-on-one interview. I did my final interview virtually through WebX. So, the example teaching lesson required a little more preparation than an in-person interview. In the one-on-one interview, the interviewer asked followup questions with my resume, phone interview, and some questions about the problem solving exercises. Some of the questions I got were: "What would cause you to resign from TFA" and "What would you do if you were offered a middle school math contract instead of a high school English contract."

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think schools are the heart of the community?   View Answer

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Pretty intense process. First an online application then a phone interview, and if you make it past the phone interview you will have a final interview that includes a lesson plan presentation, one-one and group interview, and role-playing

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions. Found most of them on glassdoor. Just do your research   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

The hiring and interview process was quite simple and predictable. Apply, receive online notification. Receive phone interview, receive in-person interview (group interview, model lesson, individual interview). Several weeks later receive decision notification.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine that you work in a failing school evidenced by student achievement data. Students do not want to come to school, parents are not involved, teachers have low morale. Which of these constituent groups is the key to success in turning the school around? What would you do with this one constituent group to fix their collective problem?   View Answer