Teach for America

Average Difficulty
421 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Filled out the 4th deadline online application the night before the deadline and was notified within two weeks that I had been advanced to the final interview stage, skipping the phone interview. My final interview was about 3 weeks later and I had to complete an online activity. I prepared my sample teach the night before, read the 3 required articles. The group interview was approximately 2 hours long - short presentation first, then sample teaches (roughly 7 people candidates interviewing), then the group problem-solving activity, and then signing up for idividual interviews. The individual interview was about 1 hour long.

Interview Question – Probably the most challenging part was that mine was a virtual interview, which placed some limitations on the sample teaches. Overall in the personal interview I got the impression that they wanted statistics - how many members did I lead in my extracurricular activity, how much of an improvement that was over the previous year, the size of our budget, etc.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – My finals conflicted with the Summer Institute.

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details Make sure you emphasize how you have dealt with difficult circumstances, as they are looking for teachers who can deal with difficult times and not quit. Showing interest to a Campus Coordinator and reaching out to your regional representative means a lot. TFA monitors your interactions with them religiously (word for word) so be persistent and send a consistent message.

Interview Question – What would make you quit teaching?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Teaching Interview

Teaching
City of London, England

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Teach for America in April 2009.

Interview Details i just send them my cv and they mail me back for online interview

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – i was not in the condition to move on the time.

Director of Development Interview

Director of Development
New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Interview Details The recruiter reached out via email after receiving an employee referral. After a general phone conversation, the candidate was invited to formally apply for the position online. The next step in the process was a set of performance tasks which were designed to be completed and submitted by email. There was a prompt response back upon receipt of materials promising to be in touch within a week to discuss next steps and schedule a formal interview for those moving forward. No follow up occurred. Several months later, candidates received an email survey asking them to evaluate the interview experience. At that point, a follow up email generated a quick reply that the organization was moving in a different direction with regard to the spec for the role.

Interview Question – The interviewer requested that applicants complete a lengthy set of exercises to gauge candidate fit for the position.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details Long interview process that begins with a lengthy application. Then it is followed by phone interview and if you make it to the next round it is an in person interview that lasts about 4 hours.

Interview Question – Why Teach For America?   Answer Question

Manager, Data & Operations Interview

Manager, Data & Operations
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Very long, indepth interview process. You will be asked many of the same questions regarding organization, strengths, ability to prioritize and overcome challenges. There are multiple phases, first a phone screening by HR, then an interview with your manager most likely, then an interview with your team, and lastly your manager's manager (typically) or dept. head.

Interview Question – If we were to speak to your last manager what would he/she say is an area for growth for you in terms of communication?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations since it is a non-profit. You either accept or decline. Good benefits, low compensation.

MTLD Interview

MTLD

I applied in-person and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Phone interview comes first. They will ask questions about situations that challenged you and how you dealt with it. They ask strengths and weaknesses. Also asked for your biggest professional pet peeve.

Interview Question – Everything was pretty predictable.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2013.

Interview Details Process is long. Be prepared to write compelling answers to the questions in the application. Make sure you are informative about any activities you were involved with during undergrad. Show your leadership skills.

Interview Question – Why teaching? How will you handle backlash from an administrator?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Took about 3 months

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through another source and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Interview was very thorough. They do not really do a good job of getting to know the new employer. It is clear there is a right answer and if you dont say the right answer, with respect to their corp values, they wont seek to understand why you disagree. Very difficult to get accepted but if you talk about you lack of priviledge...ie if you are of any minority than it is A LOT easier to get in.

Interview Question – How do you feel about profound additional impact within the classroom?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Teacher

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details I first filled out the online application and met with a recruiter from my school. Then I had a phone interview, which was very nice. I did some online tests and then was offered a final in-person interview, which lasted all day.

Interview Question – The sample teaching lesson was the most difficult for me because the outlines were very vague.   Answer Question

Worked for Teach for America? Contribute to the Community!