Teach for America

Updated 19 Feb 2015
Updated 19 Feb 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions
    • What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   View Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Starts off with basic GPA and general info. The next round is a phone interview and short essay questionaire. All of the interviewers were personal and easy to talk with. The final round involved a five minute lesson plan, a group activity, and a one on one interview. Make sure that you positively contribute to the group activity, and listen to the other applicants ideas. The one on one interview was easy going and friendly.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions
    Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

Corps Member Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Got contacted by one of the recruiting manager and applied online. Online application basically ask you to fill out education background, work experiences, and essays. After you submit online application you will get to pick phone interview dates and time. You will also need two letters of recommendation and references. Before preparing, it is very helpful to look at online website and videos regarding TFA to know about the culture and vision.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL (US)

sample teach, group interview, solo interview. The interview took about 3 hours with two interviewers, and about 12 other applicants. The environment was very casual, and applicants had to both act as teachers for their lessons and students for the other lessons. About half the applicants were from my university, and the other half were adults from the area.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Corps Member Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question