Teach for America

Updated 29 Jan 2015
Updated 29 Jan 2015

3.5

Director Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions
    Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

Corps Member Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Applying for TFA Interview

Gives 2 interviews - one over phone and one in person. I have heard they are very different in content. I was surprised they asked a lot of questions about my personal resume. It was a bit awkward with pauses because my interviewer was writing a lot of my information down while talking to me. Otherwise, a typical job interview. Be honest and do your best.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

I went through 4 interviews over the span of 3 months for an assistant position. The interview process went by very fast once I passed through the HR screening but the regional team seemed to be very unorganized in terms of who will manage the position

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a lot of questions about my values which I did not think were relevant to the position at all but I understand that as an org, TFA wants to hire more of the same   Answer Question
    did not negotiate

Corps Member Interview

Began with an online interview, and was then invited to a phone interview. The recruiting manager of my area was very involved with my whole application, and we had a phone meeting as well as an online group meeting for the people who had been invited for phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • I would say about 80% of the interview questions were about one activity that I had listed on my resume (i.e., Tell me about a time that you faced adversity.. in the context of ___.)   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

The process is kind of long but not as stressful as I assumed it would be. First the application, then the phone interview, then the final interview. From what I hear, the final interview isn't a direct competition with other applicants; basically, if they feel like everyone in your group would best suit the program they will hire everyone in the group (I think this is rare but the good thing is, they don't have a set number of applicants they have to accept each period).

Interview Questions

I did not want to move to the area they suggested.

Corps Member Interview

You apply online then you may be selected to a phone interview. Then you may be selected to the inperson group interview. I didnt get past the phone interview, though I hit t off with my interviewer. It's understandable--I know the interviewers don't have power over who can move on or not just because you had a great conversation. It was a behavioral interview, so be prepared for that. They really look for leaders and people who overcome hard situations who are good problem solvers and multitaskers.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The initial step of the process is a lengthy application, complete with GPAs by school year, personal statements and short answer questions, examples of your leadership, etc.

After this step, they notify the applicants that are moving to the next round that they must have a phone interview. Roughly 50% of applicants will be released after this round, as their website states.

Following this interview, you will either be released or invited to the final round. Before the final interview, you must then complete an online task which includes a timed exam to measure your critical thinking skills, followed by a few short answer questions which are not timed. Bonus points for incorporating any of their values in this step! There isn't much you can do to prepare for this portion, it's just a way to measure how quickly and accurately you are able to analyze situations.

The day of the final interview, you will be in a group of 6-12 other applicants and 2-4 interviewers. You must first give a 5 minute teaching sample. This was kind of a waste of time, but whatever, it's required. Afterward there is a "group task," basically to see how you are able to collaborate and work with others. This was easy, they give you a situation which you resolve alone, then come back together to discuss it as a group. My whole group agreed, so we didn't have much to talk about. Lastly will come the actual interview. At this point, there isn't much about you that they don't already know. ALL of my questions were repeated directly from my phone interview, which was extremely frustrating.

After the final round, they will give you 2 weeks to wait until you hear back, and then will have 2 weeks to accept the job or not.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to do Teach For America over AmeriCorps?   Answer Question

I wasn't willing to move to the location in which I had been placed.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

TFA follows the schedule they provided. It takes about two months to complete the entire process depending on when you apply. I had a phone interview that went very well. They asked questions related to unrelated previous experience. I felt weird about it but talked about it with confidence. It took about 30 min. The final interview was not as hard as I had anticipated. I went in prepared and rocked it.