Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 24 Oct 2014
Updated 24 Oct 2014

3.5

Teacher and Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

The questions are not difficult, but the interview process is intensive for most of their positions. The hiring manager was a bit pompous. Most people who conducted the organization seem to come from privileged backgrounds and seemed a bit out of touch

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not difficult, but the interview process is intensive for most of their positions.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The application process has multiple steps: a written application, a phone interview (these days), and an in person interview. The in person interview includes personal/scenario-type questions as well as a sample lesson. They are particularly interested in how you deal with adversity or difficult situations in the personal interview and be prepared to discuss your strategies for multitasking/organization.

Interview Questions
    there is no negotiation. think carefully about your region ranking - if you rank a region of "high need" highly you are very likely to be assigned there if accepted

Development Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in August 2014.

Applied online and was contacted the next day. Scheduled a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. The interview was pretty bland and didn't leave me with a good opinion of the company or a desire for the position. I lost interest as the interview went on, which I'm sure the interviewer picked up on.

Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in August 2014.

The interview was a very long process. You start with a call from a HR representative that is scoping out your resume and gaining information about your resume. Then, you go to 1st round phone interview with the specific job you are applying for. Next, 2nd round phone interview plus an emailed assignment. Lastly, you go into an in-house recruiting interview.

Manager, Data & Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Very long, indepth interview process. You will be asked many of the same questions regarding organization, strengths, ability to prioritize and overcome challenges. There are multiple phases, first a phone screening by HR, then an interview with your manager most likely, then an interview with your team, and lastly your manager's manager (typically) or dept. head.

Interview Questions
    • If we were to speak to your last manager what would he/she say is an area for growth for you in terms of communication?   Answer Question
    No negotiations since it is a non-profit. You either accept or decline. Good benefits, low compensation.

Corps Member Interview

Long interview process that begins with a lengthy application. Then it is followed by phone interview and if you make it to the next round it is an in person interview that lasts about 4 hours.

MTLD Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Phone interview comes first. They will ask questions about situations that challenged you and how you dealt with it. They ask strengths and weaknesses. Also asked for your biggest professional pet peeve.

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview was very thorough. They do not really do a good job of getting to know the new employer. It is clear there is a right answer and if you dont say the right answer, with respect to their corp values, they wont seek to understand why you disagree. Very difficult to get accepted but if you talk about you lack of priviledge...ie if you are of any minority than it is A LOT easier to get in.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about profound additional impact within the classroom?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I first filled out the online application and met with a recruiter from my school. Then I had a phone interview, which was very nice. I did some online tests and then was offered a final in-person interview, which lasted all day.

Interview Questions
    • The sample teaching lesson was the most difficult for me because the outlines were very vague.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

This was a very thorough and thoughtful process. Most questions are relevant, thought provoking, and really get down to how well you will perform in the job. There are technical aspects depending upon the role, but this was a key indicator of success for me as a candidate as well as the hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • If outside the organization, knowledge of the nature of the work as a whole.   Answer Question