Teach for America

Relevance Date Difficulty

Corp Member Interview

Corp Member
Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview Details First, an online form is filled out, where you answer questions about you, your experience, etc. You also upload a resume. If you advance, there is a phone interview. If you advance past that, there is a day-long, in-person interview. The interview includes a teaching sample, small group work, and a personal interview.

Interview Question – They ask you to go into great detail of a time when you overcame a problem.   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Interview Details One phone interview, and in called into final interview. Process included 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and personal interview.

Interview Question – Questions were straight forward   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview Details Online application, followed by phone interview. They just asked about items that were on my resume, as well as some behavioral questions. Finally did a group assessment, followed by a one one with role play.

Interview Question – There weren't any surprise question, plus you were given a lot of time to prepare for the role play.   Answer Question

Teacher

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview Details The hiring process is very extensive because there are 3 aspects when applying for TFA. You should dedicate time (enough time) to finish the application efficiently. The application consist of extended response questions, demographic questions and etc. If accepted to the next step you will be invited to a phone interview, which is like a typical interview. Asking follow up questions and getting to know who you are. The last step is the in-person interview which consist of a teaching portion, group activity and a one on one interview with one of the interviewers.

TFA Corps Member Interview

TFA Corps Member

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online on whim because the deadline was approaching. It was mostly leadership and volunteer activities. A week or so later I was notified I was selected for a phone interview and an online application/test. The test was evaluating grades of "students" and finding out ways to improve education. The phone interview was weird - I've done a bunch of tutoring but the interviewer only wanted me to respond to her questions regarding one position that had nothing to do with education. I spent about 45 minutes trying to answer questions about this position and the questions didn't make sense.

Interview Question – What has been your greatest accomplishment?   View Answer

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

Interview Details The application process was intense, and thorough, but well worth the acceptance and final reward of the offer of position. All initial interview phone calls, phases/rounds of interview process were well planned, and they gave sufficient information to help you prepare for the phone call(s) or assessment tasks.

Interview Question – I was asked to go into very specific details as to challenges that I've faced in my employment, and how was the situation(s) handled from beginning to end; they are very concerned with your ability to work well with others (especially administration, set leadership and your direct supervisors/co-professionals)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no cause/need to negotiate. This is a non-profit organization that connects you to the direct channel of employment. You are given a ball-park figure of initial earning potential. However, I believe that the ability to negotiate will come in terms of working with the school system/principal of the school at which you work.

Corp Member Interview

Corp Member

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

Interview Details i had a phone interview as well as the day long group interview a few weeks later. Both experiences were generally pleasant. I enjoy talking about education and issues related to it, so I tended to ramble. The phone interview was casual, with questions about "a time when you were challenged" and "what is your organization style."

Interview Question – Actually describing your organization and scheduling style required me to think about why I do what I do.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Corps Member Interview

Corps Member

Interview Details Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Question – TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Recruitment Manager Interview

Recruitment Manager

Interviewed at Teach for America

Interview Details Lots of activities and different rounds of interviews with different people.
This is a great chance to really get to know the nature of the work though and to get a thorough understanding of the organization's staff culture, especially since most candidates hired into this role come out of the Corps.

Director Interview

Director

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

Interview Details 3 interviews, phone, 2 in person. Very straight forward- Know your role and work and the interview will be easy. 1 take home project submitted relating to the role was assigned and submitted.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question