Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr 2015
Updated 15 Apr 2015

3.5

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (Columbus, OH (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

First is the online application, which was pretty straightforward. The next step is the phone interview. Mine took about 45 minutes and was pretty thorough, but it was very helpful later as I prepared for the final interview. My interviewer was very nice! The final interview is the last step. It begins with the sample teaching lessons. The other interviewees and interviewers (I had two) act as your students. It was pretty relaxed, but you have to be organized! The ten minute time limit is very serious. The group portion involves readings you are assigned ahead of time. Everyone was considerate and this portion was a good time to show leadership and cooperation. The final part is the one on one interview. It was very similar to the phone interview, I was even asked a few of the exact same questions. My interviewer was very nice and made me feel comfortable. She focused on one service activity that I had participated in the longest.

Teach for America Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was initially a group interview where you first concur a strict five minute lesson plan. Then you are presented with a scenario and have to work together as a group to come to a solution. Then you have your private 30 minute interview where you're asked questions that further clarify the information you gave on the application.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any leadership skills?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough. There are many rounds to go through, I would say with increasing difficulty. They are looking for a well-rounded individual and someone who is passionate about TFA's mission. It helps if you're from a disadvantaged background because it gives you a personal connection with the issue.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

First, I applied online. Then waited for the decision. Afterwards, I had my final interview. I was abroad at the time, so I had to do a virtual interview. The entire interview process was pretty lengthy.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

Very straightforward phone interview. Standard questions. Be yourself, but be serious about TFA. I enjoyed the interview experience thoroughly. The interview highlights what TFA stands for and without saying, they let you know what they're seeking.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult challenge that you've faced and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview. It was not so great because it was clear they were reading from a script. I answered a question and then I was asked a very similar question right afterwards which showed to me they weren't listening to closely but rather just following a script.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest course you've taken? Why was it so difficult? How did you overcome?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Got contacted by on-campus recruiter and was told to apply. I applied, didn't have to do a phone interview, and was moved on to the final interview. The final interview was in group format and they gave us a scenario to discuss and a quick 5 minute teaching lesson. After that, we had one on one interviews with our group interview facilitators.

Interview Questions

I felt like I wanted to do something else with my career projectile and if I didn't have a great passion for TFA after the interview process then I probably shouldn't waste their time by not putting my all into being a corps member.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

Interview process took over a month, but it was a great experience. You get to learn about the organization and how you can make an impact. Make sure you express your passion and be involved in the group portion of the interview. Be confident and you will do well!

Teaching Position Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Interview process takes about a month. There are many components: application, phone interview, 2 recommendations, test, and a whole day interview. The day interview consisted of four parts. Each candidate prepares a teaching sample. Then, here is a group activity followed by questions. In the afternoon, each candidate has a personal interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a students in being unresponsive?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions

• What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   1 Answer