Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.5

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

One phone interview, and in called into final interview. Process included 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and personal interview.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, followed by phone interview. They just asked about items that were on my resume, as well as some behavioral questions. Finally did a group assessment, followed by a one one with role play.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any surprise question, plus you were given a lot of time to prepare for the role play.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

The hiring process is very extensive because there are 3 aspects when applying for TFA. You should dedicate time (enough time) to finish the application efficiently. The application consist of extended response questions, demographic questions and etc. If accepted to the next step you will be invited to a phone interview, which is like a typical interview. Asking follow up questions and getting to know who you are. The last step is the in-person interview which consist of a teaching portion, group activity and a one on one interview with one of the interviewers.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I applied online on whim because the deadline was approaching. It was mostly leadership and volunteer activities. A week or so later I was notified I was selected for a phone interview and an online application/test. The test was evaluating grades of "students" and finding out ways to improve education. The phone interview was weird - I've done a bunch of tutoring but the interviewer only wanted me to respond to her questions regarding one position that had nothing to do with education. I spent about 45 minutes trying to answer questions about this position and the questions didn't make sense.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest accomplishment?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

The application process was intense, and thorough, but well worth the acceptance and final reward of the offer of position. All initial interview phone calls, phases/rounds of interview process were well planned, and they gave sufficient information to help you prepare for the phone call(s) or assessment tasks.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to go into very specific details as to challenges that I've faced in my employment, and how was the situation(s) handled from beginning to end; they are very concerned with your ability to work well with others (especially administration, set leadership and your direct supervisors/co-professionals)   Answer Question
    There is no cause/need to negotiate. This is a non-profit organization that connects you to the direct channel of employment. You are given a ball-park figure of initial earning potential. However, I believe that the ability to negotiate will come in terms of working with the school system/principal of the school at which you work.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions
    • TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Corp Member Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

i had a phone interview as well as the day long group interview a few weeks later. Both experiences were generally pleasant. I enjoy talking about education and issues related to it, so I tended to ramble. The phone interview was casual, with questions about "a time when you were challenged" and "what is your organization style."

Interview Questions
    • Actually describing your organization and scheduling style required me to think about why I do what I do.   Answer Question

Recruitment Manager Interview

Lots of activities and different rounds of interviews with different people.
    This is a great chance to really get to know the nature of the work though and to get a thorough understanding of the organization's staff culture, especially since most candidates hired into this role come out of the Corps.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in January 2013.

3 interviews, phone, 2 in person. Very straight forward- Know your role and work and the interview will be easy. 1 take home project submitted relating to the role was assigned and submitted.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.