Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 20 Apr 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions

• What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   1 Answer

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Starts off with basic GPA and general info. The next round is a phone interview and short essay questionaire. All of the interviewers were personal and easy to talk with. The final round involved a five minute lesson plan, a group activity, and a one on one interview. Make sure that you positively contribute to the group activity, and listen to the other applicants ideas. The one on one interview was easy going and friendly.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long and way too serious. There are like 5 steps before you even get accepted. Then from there you have to accept before you get a placement. I made it to the phone interview process but did not make it past that. I thought I had a good phone interview, but something that happens. I think they do look for people who have quite a bit of experience with children. Also if you do get past the phone interview and in person interview and get an offer, you could get an offer anywhere and for any grade. It felt like you were gambling.

Interview Questions

• When did you disagree with a policy your manager has in place and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

It was a multi-step process. Throughout the whole thing I felt like they were interested in what I brought to the table as a whole and not just my thoughts on education.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA does an amazing job with the interview process. It started with a phone interview with human resources, then a phone call with hiring manager and a follow up call with examples of work. Finally there was an assignment that you completed and discussed at the last in-person interview. Very professional and thorough.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Do not really negotiate pay - human resources specifically tells you they will not negotiate.

TFA Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

TFA recruiter was great- friendly, always willing to point out resources, connect me with someone. Interview went well- you do the teaching part first which gets that out of the way. Group portion they just want to see that you can carry a conversation and are committed to TFA and would not quit on them. Hiring was not handled well. During your regional selection process- CHOOSE YOUR REGIONS VERY CAREFULLY AND READ UP ON ALL OF THEM THAT YOU CHOOSE. TFA is not incredibly transparent about all of the costs until after you have been selected, unless you do some research yourself on the TFA website.

Interview Questions

Had to pay for a reduced master's program to get certification. AmeriCorps would fund some of it, but this would still be expensive. Also, I did not want to commit to my placement location.

Corps Member Interview

Interview

First step is application, basic information and then 3 questions. If you advance, there is a phone interview which they ask you basic experience and education. If advance after that, you will have a final interview day consisting of a 5 minute lesson plan, group discussion, and additional interview. Be creative for class lesson

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Evanston, IL (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

sample teach, group interview, solo interview. The interview took about 3 hours with two interviewers, and about 12 other applicants. The environment was very casual, and applicants had to both act as teachers for their lessons and students for the other lessons. About half the applicants were from my university, and the other half were adults from the area.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever missed a deadline?   1 Answer

Corps Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in December 2014.

Interview

Completed an online application. Then got selected for a phone interview where I was asked basic questions regarding my answers on the online application. About a week after the phone interview, I was notified that I got a final in-person interview. My interview took place virtually. It was broken up into group activities, teaching simulation, and one-on-one interview.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by one of the recruiting manager and applied online. Online application basically ask you to fill out education background, work experiences, and essays. After you submit online application you will get to pick phone interview dates and time. You will also need two letters of recommendation and references. Before preparing, it is very helpful to look at online website and videos regarding TFA to know about the culture and vision.