Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.5

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Athens, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I will not elaborate on the actual process because we are sworn to confidentiality but I will most definitely give you words of advice that will directly correlate to the application process.

1. If you make it t the phone interview, make sure you are prepared and confident with everything from TFA's core values and mission statement to the volunteer hours you did a few years back that you decided to put on your resume.

2. It is normal to be nervous but know that the interviewers are very kind and helpful and only want to see you succeed.

3. Once you are done with the interview, ask questions! I cannot stress this enough. If you have a chance to speak to someone who is currently in the corp why not ask them one-on-one the question or questions (if you have time) that you have been most curious about.

Most importantly, confidence is key. Be sure that you are passionate and confident about this organization!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected, just know that they will focus on your resume.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I received a call promptly at my designated time and the interview began. The interview solid me a few times to write down some of my answers.I think that preparing yourself with one of the many teacher interview question on the internet will give your an overall idea of the type of questions that the tfa person will ask you.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths?
      Tell be about a goal/task that you accomplished.
      Festive a conflict you get had with a coworker and how was it resolved
        View Answer

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New Haven, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in October 2013.

The process is known for being rigorous, and the reputation is deserved. You turn in a few essays at the beginning with your basic stats, and then they might call you for a phone interview. Then you go to an in-person group interview where you must give a 5-minute sample lesson (demonstrating that you know 5-step lesson planning), talk about an article related to education, and do a 1-on-1 interview with a recruiter.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The online application is very thorough. I recommend meting with a recruiter to help answer any questions you amy have. Some applicants are required to do a phone interview; others are advanced to the final interview day. Before the final interview day, there are many forms to complete and files to upload. This takes time! You also need to secure two recommenders and one reference. The final interview day includes a sample lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

none

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Teach for America in December 2013.

The first step is the online application. After this I was invited to a phone interview and had to complete an online assessment. The phone interview was not bad, mostly asked about your leadership experiences. The assessment had you listen to a scenario and write a few responses. It also had a test that had you interpret charts and data. Next step was the in person interview. You had to teach a sample lesson plan in front of the group, then read an article and have a discussion, then you had a personal interview. The interview included a role play which was difficult and the interviewer was aggressive. Asked how it made me feel when I didn't get my way, how far would I push, what info did I wish I had? What would you do if you had an 8th grade class that read at a 3rd grade level, what would be your goal for them? How do you stay organized?

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America in February 2012.

The application process has multiple steps. Beyond an initial application where you answer a few general questions [why do you want to join Teach For America], you are basically submitting a resume for the first round. Then, if you are moving forward, they will contact you for either a phone interview or to let you know that you are advancing to the final round. They state that getting a phone interview does not mean you are somehow not 'as good' as someone who advances to the final stage, though it does introduce one more opportunity for you to be eliminated from the process. The final interview is an all day commitment. I don't have specific knowledge about the phone interview because I advanced to the final round. In a room with about 10 or so other applicants, you will have to present a 5 minute sample lesson. The key to this portion is your ability to name a specific objective that you will teach and literally achieve that objective such that you can demonstrate student mastery of the objective. The other applicants role play being your students during this portion, in addition to the interviewers who tend to take on 'adversarial' roles. Afterwards there is a group activity. The group has a limited amount of time to read a prompt relating to a school issue, such as expanding a program and seeking out approval from a principal who has every reason to say no. During this time, interviewers are walking around and listening/observing. This is not the time to overtalk/interrupt or 'be the boss', but rather demonstrate that you can work productively with a group of people. Finally, you will have a one on one interview where you are asked to discuss in detail how you manage tasks in high pressure situations.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what I would do in a situation where I would not meet a deadline for a project.   View Answer
    I was given the choice of my top 5 cities and I got my #1 choice. I was also given choices for subjects to teach and got one of my middle range choices.

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

The lesson plan, group project and the interview were very straight forward. They really emphasized how "hard" working for TFA would be and told us that if we thought that the next year as a corps member would be easy, we shouldn't bother showing up to the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • The classic - what's the biggest challenge you've faced?   Answer Question

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America.

online Application, phone interview, final group interview

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is extremely long. It should be simplified by either testing one's knowledge specifically and reduce the process to from 3 sessions to 2. The recruiting staff needs to give consistent relevant feedback to a candidate that is not selected rather than stating, I'm sorry.