Teach for America

Updated 24 Nov 2014
Updated 24 Nov 2014

3.5

Teacher Interview

30 min phone interview intially - fairly standard questions, next step was half day in person interview where you had to present a practice 5 minute lesson plan, and participate in a group discussion observed by interviewers, and then a one on one interview with a teach for america staff member

Corps Member Interview

The process has three rounds. Application, Telephone Interview, Group interview. The questions focus on your ability to be a team player and your ability to work with others in various situations.

Interview Questions
    • We were given a scenario that could occur in the school and how you would handle that case   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Began with the online application and essays, from there moved to a phone interview and then a full day final interview that consisted of a sample lesson teach, group discussion and one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is a policy you did not agree with, but were expected to follow?   Answer Question

The location I was matched with was not my first choice.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Online application, followed by phone interview. They just asked about items that were on my resume, as well as some behavioral questions. Finally did a group assessment, followed by a one one with role play.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any surprise question, plus you were given a lot of time to prepare for the role play.   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview process begins with submitting an online application. The application focuses on leadership and mindsets about the achievement gap. Some applicants are selected for a phone interview, and others are moved straight to an in-person interview. I completed a phone interview, where the interviewer asked questions about my resume and about my basic qualifications for the job. The in-person interview is a day-long process involving a group activity, teaching a short lesson, and a one-on-one session.

Interview Questions
    • TFA loves role-playing activities. Be able to think on your feet, and be sure you're grounded in what you believe about kids, parents, communities, etc. that you're planning to serve.   Answer Question

Recruitment Manager Interview

Lots of activities and different rounds of interviews with different people.
    This is a great chance to really get to know the nature of the work though and to get a thorough understanding of the organization's staff culture, especially since most candidates hired into this role come out of the Corps.

Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America.

You have to apply online through the TFA website. The application consists of leadership/work experience and some essay questions. Then, after the deadline period ends, you'll hear within about 2 weeks whether or not you have been invited to participate in a phone interview. The phone interview takes about 30 minutes and the interviewer asks you to expand on some of your initial application, then asks you some questions related to your leadership experience, organizational skills, and why you want to join TFA. After another week or so, you may be invited to the final interview stage, where you will present a 5-minute lesson plan, participate in a group activity, and an individual interview. It's a fairly relaxed interview setting, and the process isn't competitive in the sense that only a select number of people in your group can get the job. If they think you are qualified, you will get hired. Be sure to use the STAR method for answering their questions; that's what they recommend.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

One phone interview, and in called into final interview. Process included 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and personal interview.

Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

The recruiter reached out via email after receiving an employee referral. After a general phone conversation, the candidate was invited to formally apply for the position online. The next step in the process was a set of performance tasks which were designed to be completed and submitted by email. There was a prompt response back upon receipt of materials promising to be in touch within a week to discuss next steps and schedule a formal interview for those moving forward. No follow up occurred. Several months later, candidates received an email survey asking them to evaluate the interview experience. At that point, a follow up email generated a quick reply that the organization was moving in a different direction with regard to the spec for the role.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer requested that applicants complete a lengthy set of exercises to gauge candidate fit for the position.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Had to fill out lots of online questionnaires first before being notified of phone interview, next was in person interview where you had to deliver a sample lesson that you would teach.

Interview Questions
    • They harped on very small parts of my resume and when I tried to move on they wanted to keep knowing more about a small position I held instead of some of my larger roles.   Answer Question

I heard several accounts of Teach for America actually taking away jobs from professional teachers because the school board had a contract to supply a certain amount of jobs to TFA.