Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 24 Oct 2014
Updated 24 Oct 2014

3.5

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in April 2014.

Had to fill out lots of online questionnaires first before being notified of phone interview, next was in person interview where you had to deliver a sample lesson that you would teach.

Interview Questions
    • They harped on very small parts of my resume and when I tried to move on they wanted to keep knowing more about a small position I held instead of some of my larger roles.   Answer Question

I heard several accounts of Teach for America actually taking away jobs from professional teachers because the school board had a contract to supply a certain amount of jobs to TFA.

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

Several steps- online application, phone interview, final interview.

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The online application is very thorough. I recommend meting with a recruiter to help answer any questions you amy have. Some applicants are required to do a phone interview; others are advanced to the final interview day. Before the final interview day, there are many forms to complete and files to upload. This takes time! You also need to secure two recommenders and one reference. The final interview day includes a sample lesson, group activity, and individual interview.

none

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

The lesson plan, group project and the interview were very straight forward. They really emphasized how "hard" working for TFA would be and told us that if we thought that the next year as a corps member would be easy, we shouldn't bother showing up to the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • The classic - what's the biggest challenge you've faced?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

online Application, phone interview, final group interview

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process is extremely long. It should be simplified by either testing one's knowledge specifically and reduce the process to from 3 sessions to 2. The recruiting staff needs to give consistent relevant feedback to a candidate that is not selected rather than stating, I'm sorry.

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America.

During the process there is a general application, phone interview, and final interview. During the phone interview they ask you questions from your resume and times you have had to manage difficult situations. The people who call are very friendly and do not try to trick you. The more you talk about handing difficult situations=the better.

In the final interview there are about 12 people who also interview with you. You do not have to compete with them (they can offer a position to all of you or none of you). You are asked to do a 5 minute "lesson plan," group problem solving, and a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • During the final interview they give you a role playing situation in which you have to convince the "principal" (interviewer) that you should be allowed to take a group of students on a field trip (they give you road blocks as to why the trip couldn't be allowed).   Answer Question
    None.

Three stage interview process:

1) Personal statement of intent and several short answer questions

2) Phone interview, timed online activity, and 3 references

3) In person interview and 5 minute lesson presentation

Overall, the interview experience was a long, but positive one--if you are set on joining. I had a few buddies work tirelessly through the first two steps, only to get rejected in the final round because they did not convince the interviewers they were committed to the cause. Only worth going through the trouble if you really want it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a coworker and how you worked past it.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. Two weeks to decide, no extensions.

Corps Member Interview

First you submit your application, which is pretty straight forward. Then you have the phone interview and a test online. The phone interview is rather basic, they just ask you typical interview questions. Basically explaining your resume to them. The "test" is just a few logic questions. The last step is the 5 minute lesson plan, group activity, and the in person interview. For the 5 minute lesson, just practice and pick something you are familiar with. Most importantly, MAKE IT FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF AN ACTUAL LESSON, and MAKE IT CREATIVE! You really need to display that you know the format of a lesson plan. For the group activity, be assertive but not too aggressive. Make valid points, don't talk for the sake of talking. And the final interview only took me about 25 minutes, they ask how you would ask the principal for field trip funding, etc. I walked away convinced I didn't get the job because the interview was so standardized I couldn't tell what he thought of me.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince a principal for funding for a field trip?   View Answer

TFA couldn't guarantee me placement in a SPED classroom, so I decided to go the traditional route of becoming a teacher.

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

The interviews are wonderful experience to see what the Teach For America culture is like. It is an intense process, much like the job will be if you are chosen. The phone interviews can seem a bit awkward, but that only makes the unperson interview seem much more natural. Preparing a mock lesson can seem intimidating at first, but the key is confidence and interaction.

Interview Questions
    • During the phone interview I was asked what the most difficult class I've taken in college was and how I handled it.   Answer Question
    You do not get to negotiate with TFA