Teach for America Interview Questions

Updated 23 Sep 2014
Updated 23 Sep 2014

3.5

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

I applied online on whim because the deadline was approaching. It was mostly leadership and volunteer activities. A week or so later I was notified I was selected for a phone interview and an online application/test. The test was evaluating grades of "students" and finding out ways to improve education. The phone interview was weird - I've done a bunch of tutoring but the interviewer only wanted me to respond to her questions regarding one position that had nothing to do with education. I spent about 45 minutes trying to answer questions about this position and the questions didn't make sense.

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest accomplishment?   View Answer

Teacher Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Teach for America in March 2014.

The hiring process is very extensive because there are 3 aspects when applying for TFA. You should dedicate time (enough time) to finish the application efficiently. The application consist of extended response questions, demographic questions and etc. If accepted to the next step you will be invited to a phone interview, which is like a typical interview. Asking follow up questions and getting to know who you are. The last step is the in-person interview which consist of a teaching portion, group activity and a one on one interview with one of the interviewers.

Recruitment Associate Interview

Applied online, quick response via email. 2 phone interviews, 1 project.

Middle School Math Teacher Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Teach for America.

It was very involved and intense, but if you speak to anyone who is a teacher and have them review your practice lesson, you'll be fine. Keep it short, to the point, and allow for questions and independent work. Remember, you're not just having them take notes. You want your interviewers to remember you and your engaging lesson.

Be prepared for someone to get a question wrong in your lesson, and practice ways to respond. They looked really hurt when another person interviewing gave a flat out, "no."

Interview Questions
    • What do you do in the face of adversity?   View Answer
    There's no negotiation. You accept or reject.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

The interview process was tedious but not too difficult. They pretend like any and everyone is eligible and actually has a shot at getting accepted. They accept around 12% of applicants, so beware. The interviewers are very friendly and make you feel at ease. Just be yourself.

Teach for America Corp Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

Online Application, Phone Interview, Final Interview

N/A

Corps Member Interview

online application, final interview

Teacher Interview

phone interview was about resume

Interview Questions
    • have you ever been in a conflict with someone you worked with and what did you do about it   Answer Question

TFA Corps Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Teach for America.

I applied online and wrote a stellar essay with mediocre extracurriculars and made it into the second round phone interview. The phone interview was actually very easy, as my interviewer was extremely passionate for education and spoke more than I did during the call. I made it to the final round and successfully led the group and presented my sample lesson well, but made a crucial mistake in saying that I support segregation in special cases. Not that I am racist or sexist, but I just spoke my mind saying that specific groups of people like special education students must be placed in different classrooms to receive the appropriate education. That was my bad.

Interview Questions
    • How did you think you did in the group discussion interview?   Answer Question

Corps Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Berkeley, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Teach for America.

phone interview, an online test, and an in-person interview