Teach for America Teacher Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr 2015

3.5

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Washington, DC (US)).

Interview

The phone interview is first, and is anywhere from 30minutes to 1 hour. Some people get invited straight to the final interview, though. The final interview process seemed to be heavily dependent upon your sample teaching lesson. Be sure to be creative! I wish I had known what to expect prior to my interview. The guidelines were so vague I had no clue if what I was doing was what was expected of me. There will also be a group activity where you have a certain amount of time to come up with a decision about a given scenario as a group.

Interview Questions

• What was your hardest college course?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Teach for America

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Boston, MA (US)).

Interview

First there was an Online Application which included resumee, letter of intent and also transcript. This was followed by a phone interview. I applied twice. One year I was not asked to go beyond phone interview. (I was informed I was not selected via email.) The second time I applied I passed the phone interview, was notified a few days later that I was selected for an in-person, day-long assessment which would include a 20 min teaching lesson & interview. I feel my lesson went well, however maybe the interview didn't. I requested to know more after receiving a rejection via email. Since there were 2 evaporators there it would have been nice to have a couple of reasons as to why, especially since I had applied before. I wrote an email to this effect but was told there were too many applicants. Since I did not know why I had been rejected I did not apply again.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you do to improve schools?
      Q: Under what circumstances would you leave?
      Q: Why do you think you would be a valuable teacher?

Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America (Los Angeles, CA (US)).

Interview

It was the phone interview which is the next part from the application. It took about 30 to 40 minutes. It was not too bad. Although they did call sooner than we had planned to converse. I believe they called at about 8 in the morning when the interview was supposed to be 10am.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online, and then was asked to have an interview over the phone. The phone interview was fairly standard, although they focused almost entirely on only one of the activities on my resume. The process is a little frustrating, in that after I completed the phone interview and was told that I had made it to the in-person interview, I need to complete the online activity. However, they did not open the online activity immediately, and I only had a few days in which I was expected to complete it. They also did not immediately send out requests to the people I had down for my recommendation letters. The in-person interview is a full day.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Teach for America in March 2015.

Interview

The process starts with a recruiter contacting you to help you keep the time line of the application. The application takes approximately 2 hours of duplicated information. Throughout the process they explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students. They explain that they are referring to minorities.
    The next step is the phone interview. They explain again that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but it is not a requirement. You then find out about 2 weeks later of you are invited to the in person final interview. During introductions the speakers ate minorities and again explain that they are looking for corps members that "look like" their students, but they look at other skills as well.
    On this interview you will do a 5 minute lesson plan- keep it simple and engage others.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview. It was not so great because it was clear they were reading from a script. I answered a question and then I was asked a very similar question right afterwards which showed to me they weren't listening to closely but rather just following a script.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest course you've taken? Why was it so difficult? How did you overcome?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America in February 2015.

Interview

Very straightforward phone interview. Standard questions. Be yourself, but be serious about TFA. I enjoyed the interview experience thoroughly. The interview highlights what TFA stands for and without saying, they let you know what they're seeking.

Interview Questions

• Explain a difficult challenge that you've faced and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America.

Interview

Online application, phone interview, in-person interview, Acceptance (specific location) - You cannot negotiate the location after you are accepted, you either accept the position or don't. I was place in a rural location in Washington and that means you can only apply to schools in that region.

Interview Questions

• What would cause you to leave this position in the next two years?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Seattle, WA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long and way too serious. There are like 5 steps before you even get accepted. Then from there you have to accept before you get a placement. I made it to the phone interview process but did not make it past that. I thought I had a good phone interview, but something that happens. I think they do look for people who have quite a bit of experience with children. Also if you do get past the phone interview and in person interview and get an offer, you could get an offer anywhere and for any grade. It felt like you were gambling.

Interview Questions

• When did you disagree with a policy your manager has in place and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Teach for America (Chicago, IL (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

Got contacted by one of the recruiting manager and applied online. Online application basically ask you to fill out education background, work experiences, and essays. After you submit online application you will get to pick phone interview dates and time. You will also need two letters of recommendation and references. Before preparing, it is very helpful to look at online website and videos regarding TFA to know about the culture and vision.