Telefónica

Negotiation Details – none

Very Difficult Interview

Head of Talent Interview

London, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Telefónica in March 2014.

Interview Details Where do I start? No clear process or even knowledge of how to interview from the 5 directors! I was dealing with a great recruitment consultant who was close to the business and who shared with me much about the company and role. He was clear to outline that they were going through a change process and so this role was strategic to them going forward.

I was asked to attend an interview with the founder, this then was changed to a telephone interview and I prepared for the call. I waited for 2 hours for the call to take place, finally hearing that there was a 'client issue' which had to be attended to. Fine these things happen, a note might have been helpful but happy to reschedule. The call was arranged for a later date and I thought that it went really well. Some great concepts discussed, sharing of ideas and overall very positive. I was really interested in the role post call and keen to move forward.

I was asked to prepare a presentation and to talk about talent management programmes etc. I did so and arrived for the interview. A lovely lady met me from the reception and put me in a room... all five of the directors arrived for my interview, no introductions were made, they asked me to go forward to my presentation and this is where things became really strange.

I tried to open up the conversation to gain some further information and to tailor my presentation, the room was not friendly at all. I was speaking about talent and HR processes and what I had delivered for other clients of mine and I was told not to refer to case studies and only to talk about what I would do for them. Of course I backtracked and made an effort to tailor my presentation, I introduced some very basic models to help identify talent and was starting to talk about how to deploy these when the gentleman who I had spoken to on the telephone stopped me, told me that he didn't want to hear any more and that I should leave.

I have to say, as far as an interview process goes, the strangest that I have ever experienced in my life! A huge opportunity for the person who is chosen to make a big difference as to how these guys operate.

Interview Question – I was surprised that there was not an introduction piece to the interview, an opportunity to break the ice and get to know each other. I had loads of ideas about how the organisation could tackle their talent programme but could not present a completed programme because I simply did not know enough about their organisation. This is, in my experience, generally discussed at a first round meeting and if I had met with one/two people in the first instance I am sure I would have been in a position to present a tailored presentation.
What I tried to do was choose clients who were similar and talk about what I had delivered for them, I was told 'not to refer to what you have delivered for others', most bizarre.
  Answer Question

Finance Summer Internship Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Telefónica.

Interview Details Applied for a position online and then didn't hear back from them until after almost 3 moths. I did online tests and was invited to a video interview. These were mainly competency based questions - nothing unexpected. Then I as invited to AC where we were asked to do group exercise and had 1 to 1 interview with someone from Finance team at Telefonica.

Interview Question – Tell about the time when you had to use your creative thinking to solve a problem   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Sales Executive

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Telefónica.

Interview Details I made contact with a senior manager who interviewed me. The initial meeting was positive and we both agreed that my skills and experiences could best be employed with another team. I was given the name of a Senior Recruitment Advisor and advised to contact them which I did by email with telephone follow-up.

Days turned into weeks and then into months and she did not respond! No guidance. No rejection or invitation to further interview. No response even when I asked the senior manager to remind her!

I guess that Telefonica is wrapped up in bureaucracy with people unable to make qualified decisions without the involvement of a committee.

What could have been a professional interview and selection procedure has left me disappointed in Telefonica. I am confident that they have lost a strong candidate!

Interview Question – Be wary of Telefonica Recruitment's lack of responsiveness!   View Answer

Data Analytics Graduate Interview

Slough, Buckinghamshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Telefónica.

Interview Details Online tests were intensive and varied, followed by a video interview. This was a fair assessment and although unfamiliar I think gives the candidate the chance to think whilst answering questions. This was followed by a full day assessment centre including interview, individual and group tasks.

Interview Question – Each interview varied greatly from person to person and I think the company tried hard to let you do your best. They are looking for your strengths rather than trying to trip you up.   Answer Question

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Telefónica in August 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Passed the telephone interview. Telephone interview was CV based and some behavioural questions. Invited for face to face interview. Asked to prepare a document for the interview, which for first instance seems to be very unusual. The interview lasted one and half hour, some technical and behavioural questions. The interviewer was not well prepared for the interview. Did not make any notes, just ask some random questions ( whatever comes to mind first). I thought the interview went well. But no offer was made. They still looking for Mr Perfect for the role. Travel Expense was not paid.

Interview Question – Asked to write a technical specification for one of their product, which was yet to be invented   View Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Telefónica in February 2011.

Interview Details The first interview was with the hiring manager and lasted about 1.5 hours. Went through the relevant parts of my CV for the role and was asked specific questions about my most recent roles. Also went through the details of the role I was interviewing for. Was asked at the end if I could come back the following day for a second round with one of the hiring managers other direct reports. Came back for that interview which lasted about the same. Also straightforward, going over my CV and the chance to ask questions.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary or unrelated to my CV. All questions were in relation to my prior experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Following the interviews, all other negotiation conversations were over the phone with HR rep.

Retail Advisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Telefónica in July 2013.

Interview Details Telephone interview about my CV. Got through to face-to-face interview where again, the store leader overviews your Cv and you must present a speech/pitch on something you are passionate (e.g. sports, own business, arts etc.)

Interview Question – What is the best and worst thing your friend would say about you?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Sheffield, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Telefónica.

Interview Details Had to fill in an on-line application, then went to an agency did some numerical test, just behavioural questions such as "what motivates you" why do you want to work in sales etc
passed that. than i got called to a store interview with manager, he asked me what i know about the store, how i can contribute to the store? what do i know about smart phones?

Interview Question – behaviour - how would you persuade or influence someones decision?   View Answer

Knowledge Manager Interview

Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Telefónica in March 2010.

Interview Details One phone interview, one face-to-face with hiring manager, and one face-to-face when offered job.

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Hiring manager would not negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Telefónica

Worked for Telefónica? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Telefónica interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Telefónica employees and interview candidates.