Tesco

Getting the Interview

64 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Clothing Assistant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Tesco.

Interview Details Individual & group interviews also for first time I got an interview we got questions we needed to discuss between the group and had a 5 minute time limit. And the second time uI got an interview it was we needed to try to build a tower that would stand without falling over and we only got paper & cellotape and a certain amount of time to do it in.

Interview Question – Trying to build a tower as part of a group within a specific time.   View Answer

Pharmacist Interview

Pharmacist

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Tesco.

Interview Details I applied for this job twice, the first time I went through a rigourous interview but unfortunately didn't get the job. The second time I applied I was scheduled for an interview at a date that was inconvenient for me. I phoned to reschedule it, talked to a rude woman who promised to contact me. I was never contacted and it turns out the manager hired one of his friends!

Interview Question – The attitude of the interviewer made me feel like I was being interrogated.   Answer Question

Stock Controller Interview

Stock Controller
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Tesco in June 2009.

Interview Details Applied online and got an interview 2 weeks later then managed to get the job on a 12 hour a week contract.

Interview Question – Why do you feel that you are suitable for this working environment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a letter in the post about my induction then received my days that I would be working.

Customer Assistant Interview

Customer Assistant

Interviewed at Tesco

Interview Details Very formulaic process, but that comes with them hiring hundreds and thousands of people every year. The interview wasn't particularly intimidating, and I was made to feel welcome.

Interview Question – There weren't any real surprises. You might need to think of a time when you went above and beyond customer expectations to help them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Checkout Assistant Interview

Checkout Assistant
Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesco in September 2013.

Interview Details Interview began with being took to shop floor to help pack bags as they wanted to see how I interacted with customers and colleagues. They then asked me ten questions, two each based on a certain area e.g. my team work, following rules and procedures, my integrity, dealing with a difficult customer, overcoming disappointment, helping someone who hadn't asked for help.

My interview was today and was told I would find out within 3 weeks whether I was successful or unsuccessful. However the woman told me I did very well and would I consider working in another store close by aswell.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult question was how I overcame any rules or procedures I didn't agree with or wasn't happy about.   Answer Question

Solution Architect Interview

Interviewed at Tesco

Interview Details Recruited through an agency, went to psychometric testing session which had two tests, non verbal reasoning and then a negatively scored verbal reasoning test. There was an initial set of interviews after that. Followed by an assessment day which included team exercises interviews and skills based testing. After the assessment day I was offered a position, interviewed with a couple of teams who interested in taking me and chose the one I wanted to work in.

Interview Question – Coming from a non-retail background, there were a number of retail specific business cases which were challenging.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Customer Assistant
Haverhill, England

I applied in-person - interviewed at Tesco in October 2009.

Interview Details Had one interview and an induction a couple of weeks after. Then was told I had the job.

Interview Question – Why do you think you'd be good for the job?   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Tesco.

Interview Details Initial 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager - basic questions about my experience. Three online assessments - numeric, verbal reasoning and logic. One hour-long face-to-face interview with two of the hiring managers (competency based). One day-long assessment centre, with a presentation (prepared on the day) and another competency inteview. The whole process took over 3 and a half months - the company were very slow to move forward due to a very structured and centralised recruitment process. It took over 2 weeks to hear back from them on my initial application, and another 6 week wait between the interview and the assessment day. Staff were friendly, but the lengthy formal process was really offputting. When I went for the interview (at Letchworth office) a meeting room hadn't been booked, and I was told there were only four meeting rooms for the entire building.

Interview Questions

• What are your personal values?   Answer Question
  • What do you think makes an effective team?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a time when you made a decision quickly / adapted to a changing situation / worked in a team   Answer Question
  • What is the biggest professional achievement of your career?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a time when you overcame a challenge and three things you learnt from it   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Grocery Assistant Interview

Grocery Assistant
Barnstaple, England

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Tesco in September 2010.

Interview Details I walked into the room and was met by the checkout manager who interviewed me. The interview was a few questions about what I have done previously and overall was not a challenging interview. After the interview I was shown the door and was told that I should get a response within a week and after a few days I received a phone call offering me the job.

Interview Question – Why I wanted to work for Tesco over another leading supermarket.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Support Office 2013 Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Tesco in May 2013.

Interview Details I passed the online assessments and had a telephone interview for a summer internship, it lasted about thirty minutes and the interviewer was friendly, next step assessment centre. Here are the questions I was asked, although I can't remember the exact order:

1) Tell me a bit about yourself- uni course, work experience, hobbies etc.
2) What is Tesco about?
3) Why do you want to work for Tesco?
4) What is retail?
5) What are our competitors doing well that we could do?
6) How would you improve your local store?
7) Have you ever been in a work environment and had your values challenged? What did you do?
8) What is your personal motivation/motto?
9)Have you applied for any other internships?
10) How would your best friend describe you?

Hope this helps :)

Interview Question – How would your best friend describe you? This one surprised me a bit.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Tesco

Worked for Tesco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tesco interview questions and advice. All 64 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Tesco employees and interview candidates.