Tesco

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

2.5

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco.

Applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later to arrange a 1 on 1 interview. and then i was soo happy because that was my second interview since 2 years of applying :o so what happened is i forgot the day of the interview and thought it will be next day which i was late. i received a message saying i was unsuccessful for the role (because i didnt turn up).

after 2 weeks i received a phone call saying that they want to invite me for interview again same store without applying online :o. i said to myself wtf really? i didnt turn up because i mixed my days and got over excited. well i accepted the interview and came to it. i saw like people going out and coming in for interview :o i thought it will be group interview. but it was 1 to 1.

it was like 6 managers or somthing interviewing other candidates. the person whos interviewing me, she is a nice lady and i felt we were connected by chating and talking about scenario. YES!
     SHE GAVE ME scenario that would answer the question she was asking me and that helped me alot by thinking about my experience and talking about it openly. althought the room was like too loud because of other interviews next to me we were laughing and understanding each other.

she said that the position i applied is not only for 1 person .. they need like more than 7 or 10 she said.

and was told that I would receive a phone call VERY SOON if you are the successful because in 3 days will be the induction.

so yeah ... my interview experience was relaxing compared to other interviews i had :o and i wasnt feeling nervous

and by the way she was asking like 7 questions :o as she was reading it from a booklet.

- still waiting for the call.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco.

Applied online, one interview by 2 people. All questions were competency based. Mainly wanted you to describe times when you showed specific skills ie. teamwork, confidence, perseverance etc.. Main thing is to be super smiley and confident. They train you on the tills anyway, so you could get away with saying that you've already had till/supermarket experience- there's no check-up.

Interview Questions
    • A time you worked as part of a team? Time you had to overcome a challenge?   Answer Question

Technology Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesco.

Online app
    Online tests
    Telephone interview- 14 questions, general why the scheme followed by competency questions make sure you have multiple examples

Assessment day- the day was amazing, very relaxed and everyone was so helpful and friendly. The day consists of :
    1) a business case- read and present your findings, some q and a
    2) group task, work well as a team and demonstrate tesco's key competences. Be yourself
    3) the best part- a 3d cv, where you have to talk about yourself and make it exciting, bringing it to life
    4) interview- similar to the phone interview

Last but not least enjoy, it was an excellent experience for me, I can't fault anything. GO on Tesco

Interview Questions
    • Why tesco?
      Current challenges?
      What others do different?

View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco.

Applied online and received a phone call a few weeks later to arrange a 1 on 1 interview. The interview was relaxed and pretty informal. There were no difficult questions and the interviewer was very friendly. Was told that I would receive a phone call the next day as she wouldn't normally say this but that I would be perfect for the position.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about about yourself" "Why tesco" No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Team Leader Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Tesco.

I was ask lots of question to do with tesco and had to answer all and show them what I would do if you see a shop lifter and how would I deal with them how would I get my team to work as a team and what to do with trouble makers

Customer Assistant Balham AndTooting Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco in February 2015.

Don't apply for the upper Balham or Tooting branches. The interview was terrible. My interview was at 9am I arrived at 8.45 and was waiting until 10am before the interview began despite members of staff coming in and saying "we'll start in 10 minutes". Appalling organisation and time keeping skills. When we finally started one of three interviewers looked disinterested and the interview asked us silly questions but were very interested in what we were saying. Also, it was a group interview of about 12 (they made us wait an hour because they wanted 20 but people didn't show up). Worst interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about yourself.

What is good customer service?

What is good team work?

When have you worked under pressure?

Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco.

Very simple questions; e.g when has someone trusted you with something, basic competencies.
    Smile lots and you should be fine! Also make sure that you are polite as they are essentially testing how well you could interact with customers.

Tesco Mobile Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England
    Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Tesco.

Tesco Mobile jobs don't come up that often and usually appear on the careers website, You send in your C.V. and application online. I am told by someone in Tesco that you are assigned points which go to your overall score, these depend on you application. I am also told that the Tesco Mobile roles is a cushy one, with no hard sell, and it's very difficult to get a hired because most/all Mobile positions are taken by people already working in store.

Personnel Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Tesco in January 2015.

The day was a full assessment day at a hotel conference room near Hatfield. There was a really relaxed, open feeling even though the day was attended by many senior members of Tesco- some who had been part of the business for 20 years, one woman who had just joined the day before! It was therefore a great opportunity to get to ask some of these people questions (in the final one-to-one presentation task, or at lunch) and to really test the vibe of the working environment.

The day started with us all (8 girls, one boy, one non-attendee) in a meeting room slotted between these Tesco vets. We had a simple ice breaker (one item to a desert island) and watched a video about the Tesco offices and working ethos. We were then split into two groups for the task. My group's order was: 3D CV, forty minute break. Group 'Business strategy' task, 20 minute break. Lunch. 20 minute break. 20 minutes for planning for an individual presentation on one of three ideas. A really long accidental break whilst they hustled the Tesco staff into individual rooms, whilst we sat there with our finished presentations, unable to touch them. 30 minutes giving the presentation and answering questions. Then hanging around at the end for the Tesco staff to say goodbye.

The 3D CV is very trendy now, two girls brought baking and offered it to the interviewers, which I found odd. The 'Business Analyst' task was amazing, there was an interactive video feed where new information kept flashing up as tweets or news blasts to try and make you re-think the answer you gave to the proposal. The presentation task involved reading a booklet of information, and then deciding which one of three directions you should take 'Potter's' business strategy in, before presenting it to a Tesco team member.

The cons were: long waiting times, the 8 pages of feedback we received with some strongly negative comments, the embarassing-ness of writing and giving a 3D CV.

The pros were: Becky, the graduate from last year! So kind, so helpful, so wise. The lovely environment that all the Tesco staff managed to give off. The lunch! The other people there. Having such a small group really killed any kind of competitive vibe and I would really look forward to working with any of them again.

Interview Questions
    • 'What are your three worst qualities' and 'Give an example of a time where you failed to meet a deadline'.   Answer Question

Tech Support Interview

Applied online
    Was called a week or two later and asked if I could come in for a interview (one on one)
    Interview was relaxed, questions included were about times when you have had to change your behaviour, a time when you have been under pressure, a time that you have worked in a group.

Interview Questions
    • A time you have had to change your behaviour   View Answer
    Just make sure you have answers to the questions before the interview because If you think on the spot you might not give a good answer