Tesco

Updated 14 Dec 2014
Updated 14 Dec 2014

2.5

Stock Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesco.

Had read a lot of previous interview questions on here for similar jobs before. interview was straightforward, asked questions from a booklet and then interviewer wrote down my answers. questions asked were 1) a time you had a complaint from a customer and how you dealt with it. 2) A time you worked in a team 3) A time you worked under pressure 4) a time you changed your behavior from someone else. there were 2 interviewers both seemed chilled out. after interview i was placed at a cashier not on the tills but just by another employee to see how i was around with customers and other employees. will here back from them in a week

Interview Questions
    • a time you had a complaint from a customer and how you dealt with it. Was thrown by this question as i didn't prepare for it at all due to not coming across it. my own fault i should have prepared more.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Tesco in December 2014.

Group interview,The first question tell me more about yourself. The second question explain a time when you have gone out of your way to help someone,
    Very formulaic process, After answering the questions we were split into groups of three.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco in December 2014.

I had applied online last week wherein I have filled the questionnaire regarding normal situations at store and how do I respond to them. This week I got a call for assessment at their store. We were 4 people and the session started with introduction, followed by paper tower making of 6" and me n my partner could do it successfully followed by few questions on team work. Then we moved on to one to one interview which lasted for 15-20 minutes with basic questions like what does teamwork and customer service mean to you. The interviewer was very nice and down to earth person and I really felt at ease and comfortable during the entire process. The results will be communicated in a Weeks’s time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tesco in December 2014.

After arriving the group of six people was split into two groups of three. We were asked to build a 6 foot tower with a three coloured flag on top out of 6 sheets of A2 paper. After this there was a brief one to one interview followed by a group interview where we were asked to discuss what we thought good and bad customer service was. Following this we were taken down onto the shop floor where we did some stock replenishment followed by some time on the check out.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't feel the here were any unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Dotcom Assistant (Personal Shopper)/Deli Counter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco in December 2014.

I went to two interviews for two different stores. Both interviews were very informal and laid back.
    The first was for the position on a counter. However we were given choices as to where we wanted to work and had to fill in our work availability. Then in a group we were asked three questions and had to go round answering. We were told we would find out the result in a few days time.
    The second interview was for personal shopper (dotcom). This time there was only myself and another person in the interview and we were asked to fill out forms and then had to answer two questions, again in the group. Then whilst one of us went off onto the shop floor to see how the shift goes, the other was asked about criminal convictions (if we had any) and some other run of the mill questions. After 10 minutes of being on the floor we were told we would find out the result in a few days.
    The questions asked in both interviews were;
    - Name a time you had to go above and beyond for a customer
    - Think of a time you either gave or received excellent customer service (and talk about it)
    - Think of a situation where you had to either adjust or change what you were doing, for somebody else (and talk about it).
    - Name a time you were disappointed or suffered a set-back?

The pay in one store was £7.47/hr, for the dotcom shopper it was £7.88/hr.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were disappointed or suffered a set-back?   Answer Question
    None

Grocery Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tesco.

I had a group interview , there was a few of us in a room we all had to introduce ourselves to the big boss, then she asked us a question all answered one by one, then had to build a tower in groups , then had a 10min break, went back in and had my one on one interview she asked me a few questions e.g. when did you last go that extra mile fora customer , what could you bring to this company. I then was put out on shop floor for like 10mins and then was told I would have a phone call and letter. Had a phone call later that day to say I was successful, I was really pleased and btw it was so relaxed, it weren't like a interrogation room, they were really friendly, and can't wait to start working for them :)

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco.

Applied online, filled out screening test, never took my CV.

Team building exercises followed. Obviously wanted to see signs of leadership and courteous behaviour.

Invited to Interview: Met the store manager and assistant in office (this is in Express store). Introduced selves, asked application oriented questions (what did you learn from x position, etc). Questioned distance to store. Questioned many customer oriented situations (spill on floor, how do you react?).

Interview Questions
    • Customers are arguing with you over the price mismatch, how do you resolve this?   Answer Question

Night Work Interview

It was a new type if interview, or so they told me, it was a group interview, even though i have had group interviews before. They said it was their third time doing a group interview, however it was actually really good, their ice breaking exercise worked and everyone was at ease and more importantly themselves within minutes. Then there was two questions we were asked and we had to answer them as confidently as possible, which wasn't to hard, since the ice breaker worked so well, that was it, don't really know what they were judging but i got the job anyway, overall it was 'okay', maybe a bit better even?

Interview Questions
    Good pay, so there wasn't one.

General Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco in November 2014.

I got a call a day before asking me to come in for the group interview and instructions on what to wear and what to bring. I was told to be at the store on the phone by 1.30 but then it turns out i was apparently late even though that's what I had been told. So they told me I had to wait for 3 hours for the next session and I was very annoyed so I just went home. They are very unorganized.

The following week I got another call from a different guy from the same store and he ensured that they will not tell me the wrong time again. I got there for the group interview and there were about 20 other people or so. It lasted for about 1.5 hours. The first stage was the icebreaker; we were split into groups and had to build something using paper and tape. Secondly we were put into groups again but this time had to do role play acting as customers and assistants. Finally half of us observed customer service and the other half had to observe the freshness of produces in store. It was rushed and we were told that those who were successful had to come in two days after to present a 3-D presentation based on why you should get the role, I was never told about this until that day. They kept adding information that wasn't previously discussed and I felt like no one was really asked any questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions to be honest.
      I think the most difficult thing was trying to put your voice across during feedback time because there were a lot of people that unfortunately talk over each other which was very rude.

Answer Question

Checkout Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gloucester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gloucester, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco in November 2014.

Applied online, and that evening got a phone call asking me to come for an interview with bank details and passport. Interview was fine, had 10 minutes practice on checkouts, then was taken for a 1-1 interview. However, this was simply two questions about customer service. Then had a group activity of making a 6ft tower from paper.

Interview Questions
    • When have you done something different for a customer/out of comfort zone?   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate. Salary of £7.02 for everyone, and £10.53 on a sunday.