Tesco

Updated 17 Nov 2014
Updated 17 Nov 2014

2.6

Night Work Interview

It was a new type if interview, or so they told me, it was a group interview, even though i have had group interviews before. They said it was their third time doing a group interview, however it was actually really good, their ice breaking exercise worked and everyone was at ease and more importantly themselves within minutes. Then there was two questions we were asked and we had to answer them as confidently as possible, which wasn't to hard, since the ice breaker worked so well, that was it, don't really know what they were judging but i got the job anyway, overall it was 'okay', maybe a bit better even?

Interview Questions
    Good pay, so there wasn't one.

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco.

Applied online, filled out screening test, never took my CV.

Team building exercises followed. Obviously wanted to see signs of leadership and courteous behaviour.

Invited to Interview: Met the store manager and assistant in office (this is in Express store). Introduced selves, asked application oriented questions (what did you learn from x position, etc). Questioned distance to store. Questioned many customer oriented situations (spill on floor, how do you react?).

Interview Questions
    • Customers are arguing with you over the price mismatch, how do you resolve this?   Answer Question

Grocery Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Tesco.

I had a group interview , there was a few of us in a room we all had to introduce ourselves to the big boss, then she asked us a question all answered one by one, then had to build a tower in groups , then had a 10min break, went back in and had my one on one interview she asked me a few questions e.g. when did you last go that extra mile fora customer , what could you bring to this company. I then was put out on shop floor for like 10mins and then was told I would have a phone call and letter. Had a phone call later that day to say I was successful, I was really pleased and btw it was so relaxed, it weren't like a interrogation room, they were really friendly, and can't wait to start working for them :)

General Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Tesco in November 2014.

I got a call a day before asking me to come in for the group interview and instructions on what to wear and what to bring. I was told to be at the store on the phone by 1.30 but then it turns out i was apparently late even though that's what I had been told. So they told me I had to wait for 3 hours for the next session and I was very annoyed so I just went home. They are very unorganized.

The following week I got another call from a different guy from the same store and he ensured that they will not tell me the wrong time again. I got there for the group interview and there were about 20 other people or so. It lasted for about 1.5 hours. The first stage was the icebreaker; we were split into groups and had to build something using paper and tape. Secondly we were put into groups again but this time had to do role play acting as customers and assistants. Finally half of us observed customer service and the other half had to observe the freshness of produces in store. It was rushed and we were told that those who were successful had to come in two days after to present a 3-D presentation based on why you should get the role, I was never told about this until that day. They kept adding information that wasn't previously discussed and I felt like no one was really asked any questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions to be honest.
      I think the most difficult thing was trying to put your voice across during feedback time because there were a lot of people that unfortunately talk over each other which was very rude.
        Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Tesco.

Started as Temp on part time hours then asked to do more hours and was offered a permanent position after I was offered a position at another company. The company make the most of Temp staff who prove themselves talented.

Interview Questions
    My hourly rate was increased and they offered me a favourable salary for the permanent position.

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesco.

I applied on-line, the process was easy. I just completed the on-line application and the psychometric tests. Then got a phone call 2 weeks later asking me to come in for a group interview.

The group interview was very laid back, there was 3 Tesco colleagues with clipboards making notes on us. There was 10 of us in total. We sat around a table did a small ice breaker that was simply saying your name and why you want to work for Tesco. We were given an application form to fill in and in that form we had to note our availability etc. One by one we were then called in for a one on one interview with a colleague (I say interview it was really more of an informal chat) during this interview I was asked basic questions such as "why Tesco?" "what makes good customer service" and just a general chat about what makes a good employee in general. I liked how laid back the one on one was.

There was then a chance for us to " have a go " on the shop floor for about 20 minutes, for me this simply involved getting an employee bar code for the self service machines and just did some basic tasks, such as checking peoples I.D's and authorizing the self scan machines, when any problems arose with peoples shopping. Also taking the tags off peoples alcohol / clothes etc. Pretty basic stuff.

We then went back to the training room, had a round up chat about the day and was told we would find out within the week about whether we are successful in our application.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult questions, all really straight forward stuff.   Answer Question

I also got offered a job much closer to home, so it was in my best interest to decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oldham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oldham, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Tesco in October 2014.

The first question was and always tends to be- tell me more about yourself. Here you want to sell yourself say good things about yourself. Things that they would want to hear regarding the job. I talked about myself going gym and enjoying physical activities as part of my job is physical , moving cages from one place to another. Make sure you don't tell ur life story or bore them cos that's the last thing u wanna do.
    After this I got asked scenario based questions such as: name a time you have worked under pressure? Name a time you had change your behaviour to suit someone else? What would you do if someone challenged your way of doing something, how would u handle the situation and would you challenge others? And finally what is your integrity? These were the questions she asked me I got put on the spot but managed to answer them. Make sure you prepare or it could be drastically awkward.

I was then given a tour of the store and shown where everything is.

Overall I'm giving it a neutral rating only because I struggle to stay calm and panic a lot :( if u are confident and calm you can ace this.

Interview Questions
    • What skills would you bring to the company?   View Answer
    • Why would you want to work for us?   View Answer

Customer Assistant Interview

filled out form and handed in to tesco store. The interview was a group interview firstly we had to introduce ourselves. The first question was explain a time when you have gone out of your way to help someone and we answered one by one. The second question was describe a time when you have done more than someone expected of you. After answering the questions we were split into groups of three and given sheets of paper, cellotape and pencils and asked to make a tower meeting certain specifications and then present and sell it to the rest of the group.

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't any difficult questions but the group task was quite unexpected   Answer Question

C/Out Collegue Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England

I applied online – interviewed at Tesco in September 2014.

Filled online application, 3 days later got a call for a one to one interview which lasted half hour. Was also told i will be called back to work for hour at the store to see how i got on, never got a call back!!!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me abit about yourself?, name a time when you helped a friend and how did you feel?, and name a time you were put under pressure and how did deal with it.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Applied online and was then told few days later to come for an interview. A relatively informal interview with the manager of the department and his manager. Asked some questions about why I wanted the job, my personal interests and my short-term plans. Received a telephone call offering me the job the next day.