Texas Instruments

Updated 2 Dec 2014

3.2

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

3 interviews (2 in person,1 webcam). Total process total took close to 3 months. Had final interview (through webcam) in October, received offer in December. Overall process was alright, just wished it didn't take so long.

Interview Questions
  • Discuss most challenging project, basic run-through of resume, example of how you would debug, why TI?, behavioral questions(talk about a time where you didn't get along with your team, where you found a unique solution to a problem, etc). Some basic technical circuit problems.   Answer Question
Did not negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Texas Instruments

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

I was refered by a current employee. After filling out an online application I had an online interview. The interview was automated and I had to record myself answering 7 behavioral questions. The questions were about times that I had to work with an uncooperative partner/ times that I failed at something. The next interview was a skype interview with two applications engineers. This was very technical. They asked me questions about my resume and about my general knowledge of electrical engineerin.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online and had two online interviews. One of which asked to answer a few questions by myself, the other was actually talking to a representative. The questions were not too difficult, but it was hard to convey communication skills while not in person.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Got an interview through on-campus recruiting. I was expecting a heavily technical interview, but it was pretty relaxed. Most of the interview was me explaining past projects that I had done.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you've taken on a leadership role and how you dealt with conflicts within the team.   Answer Question
    none, this was an internship position

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2014.

Texas Instruments' interviews consists of 3 steps.
    I applied online for the Applications Engineer Program in mid/late July. Presentation is key for this role.
    1. Around mid-August I received an email from HR stating I needed to "introduce myself" using TI's HireVue. This was a virtual interview where I recorded myself answering 7 questions regarding my background. I had 30 seconds to prepare each answer and up to 3 minutes to provide a detailed answer. The questions were related to my ideal work environment and behavior. Nothing to study. They did however asked if I was okay to relocate and my preference between Analog and Digital and why. I later learned these were very important for the role since one may end up in CA, AZ, or TX.
    A few hours later, I received a call from HR telling me that I've moved on the next interview. During my first interview, I did mention a concern and HR called me to congratulate me on my progress and to clear up some questions I had.

2. The second interview was scheduled a week later. This interview was a 1-hour live video using again HireVue. I was interviewed by 2 engineers, one Digital and one Analog. During this interview, questions about my resume were asked. I had VHDL/Verilog on my resume and they simply asked where I applied those languages. It was half technical half situational. For the situational, you are asked a question similar to, "During your coursework or projects, did you ever have problems with other team members? Describe [project on resume]? etc.." As I answered a situational question, I was stopped to answer technical questions based on my project. Since I was a leader for 2 of my projects, I was asked typical leader questions about my role.
    Again, a few hours later I was called by HR telling me that my interview was one of the best ones during this season. I was told I will be moving on to an onsite interview in Dallas which was scheduled for early October. TI takes care of their employees, they gave me $50 in a traveler's check, rented me a car, hotel room, and payed for the flight. I was also given a map of the campus. For the onsite, I had to prepare a 10 minute, 4-5 slide, presentations about a project I've worked on during my coursework or internships.

3. After I arrived in Dallas, I was to drive and check in at the hotel. TI scheduled a presentation regarding the Application Engineer role, set for the evening. The presentation was to answer any questions about the role. Afterwards, the group of other candidates and engineers in the Applications Engineer Program headed out to dinner via shuttle bus. The engineers who came along to dinner did not have a say in our process. They were asked by TI to answer any of our questions related to the role. After dinner, we were driven back to the hotel for the night.
    The following morning, I drove to the TI campus. Here the final interview was scheduled. As you're waiting for your turn, you are given a campus tour.
    There are 4 rooms containing 2 project managers in each. Everyone interviewed with 2 different sets of engineers.
    During the interview, the engineers introduce themselves and ask you to do the same. They ask you to start the presentation. As you're progressing, they stop you to ask questions based on the project, nothing too technical. I suggest you learn your project inside and out. The only technical question I was asked was when I mentioned H-bridges. I was asked to explain how they worked, why I chose BJTs versus FETs, the difference between BJTs and FETs. I was also asked more behavioral and situational questions.
    I was told that I was to learn whether I get an offer or not by the end of the week. I was called the same day as I was waiting for my plane home.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Make sure you have experiences to talk about, that's the most important. Projects, leadership roles, team member roles, time management, internship experiences are all good. Make sure you know your project well.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, I was more than satisfied with the offer.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2014.

I applied online around the time of my university's career fair and a week later I was emailed a link to sign up for an interview. The interview was around 30 minutes, most of it was talking about myself, coursework, projects, skills and whatnot. There were frequent questions on what I was talking about, almost to see if I in fact knew what I was talking about, nothing too specific or tough.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were specifically about my projects. For example I mentioned I've worked with robots and he asked how servos work. The only general questions he had were, can you describe to me how a MOSFET works? what would you say op amps are most useful for?   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments in October 2014.

First communication was at UCF career fair. I scheduled an on campus interview two days later.

First interview was focused on what projects I had completed, what my role was, how I handled challenges etc. as well some analog circuit analysis

Second interview was a one hour video interview with another HR person. Included the general behavioral questions and a lot of repeat questions from the first interview regarding projects.

Third interview is an in person interview in Dallas, this is the last round and you will know whether or not you have a job after this within one day to a week.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to explain in detail what your role was in your most complex project, what challenges you encountered, how you dealt with them. Just real detailed into your projects.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

They came to my career fair where I first contacted them. They scheduled an interview with me the next day. It lasted 45 minutes and had a chance to get to know the position better. The questions were all pertaining to leadership with some technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • This was more of an open ended question. I was asked to explain on an electronics level how a laptop or cell phone operated.   View Answer

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Instruments in September 2014.

They asked me to draw a block diagram of a control system. It's more of a behavioral interview than hardcore technical interview. They asked about leadership and teamwork. One of the questions is what is something that you learned from a recent experience.

Applications Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

I applied online and got an e-mail to answer some behavioral questions through webcam. Couple days after, I got a call for an interview where I have to give a 3-5 slide presentation on a project that I worked on.

After the presentation I didn't hear back for two weeks so when I contacted the HR first, he suggested if I was interested in other positions. I said yes but he hasn't replied since then.

Interview Questions
    • Just questions about the project and if I considered any other options.   Answer Question