Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments Interview Questions

Updated 16 Nov 2014
Updated 16 Nov 2014

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Texas Instruments in April 2014.

Interview consisting of three stages. HR, Technical and Presentation. Very generic and very friendly approach to all the interviews with nothing difficult at all. The technical questions were problem solving questions and no related to the specific job. Presentation was given on my latest team project that I completed at University so fresh on the mind and not complicated at all. Very nice people

Interview Questions
    • Why do you do so many activities out side of University?   View Answer

Senior ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenock, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenock, Scotland

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Texas Instruments in March 2013.

Telephone interview. Mainly interested in processes. Example question was a checklist for declaring a device ready for PG or tape-out.

Treasury Interview

Two rounds of interview. First round with line manager and second round with director. All behavioral based question regarding your past experiences and went through your resume. The director interview is a little bit stress-based interview to see if you can handle it well under pressure. But the director is nice.

Technical Sales Engineering Rotation Program Interview

Started at the on-campus career fair, where I approached TI's booth and spoke with a rep in tech sales. After discussing my interest and qualifications, I was informed of their interest to do on on-site 30 minute interview a few hours later. When I returned for the interview I was asked a variety of behavioral questions, with a lot of "describe a time when/where you" questions, specifically with questions such as "failed" "encourtered hardship" "had a co-worker not contributing" as well as "describe how a transistor works to us if we were joe-schmoes." After this interview, I was told I would be contacted if they wanted to continue the process. I was then contacted two weeks later via email & phone, and was directed to an online interview process to be completed in the next 48 hours. I then went online and was asked 6 questions, 5 about specific times where I encountered some sort of relationship-based hardship or success. Heavy emphasis on "Talk about a specific time". After that, I was contacted for an interview with a hiring manager, scheduled for one hour. He wasn't too friendly and really emphasized technical aptitude, whereas the prior interview emphasized more behavioral. I struggled with pulling out specific incidences he was looking for. Questions included tell me a time you had a problem in a relationship with someone and how it came out, tell me a time where you did something very challenging, tell me a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time where you had no answers but had to make a decision   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

The hiring process was part of Texas Instruments India's campus internship programmes (for pre-final year students). It began with a pre-placement talk by TI India in which they explained the benefits of working at TI, the challenges faced, etc. It was more of an informative session which was concluded with their announcement of an online test to be held later.

The online test was held around a month after the session. It consisted of two parts - a technical part, in which the basics of electronics were tested (basic OP-AMPs, RLC circuits, Bode plots, etc.), and an aptitude part (general probability-based questions, division of x chocolates among y children, etc).

Around a month after that, the shortlisted candidates were intimated and were told that the next round would be held soon. The details weren't intimated as to where it would be held and the exact date. After a month, they were contacted again and were informed of the venue and the date of the further rounds.

The first interview round comprised a tete-a-tete in which the main focus was on circuit basics, viz. amplifier configurations, fundamental OP-AMP concepts (for example, questions like What is negative feedback and why is it important?), transfer functions of RLC circuits (LPF, HPF, etc.), and a few questions related to ideal voltmeters, ammeters, voltage and current sources, etc.

The results were announced soon after everyone was done with their interviews and the shortlist for the second round was immediately announced. After about 15 minutes, the second round began. This time around, the applicants were interviewed by two people together, and questions were similar to the ones asked in the first round (a few variations here and there, but more or less sticking to the very basics; a little trickily framed questions though).

After the second round, the shortlisted candidates had an HR round in which basic personal details, plans for post-graduation, a bit of trivia about Texas Instruments, etc were asked and the personalities of the prospective interns were gauged.

Around 15 minutes after the HR round, the hired interns were announced and were presented with the offer letters. It was a good experience overall and it became clear that for one to become a TI intern, their fundamentals of electronics must be crystal clear, and the person should have a good presence of mind during the course of the interview, not to mention, keep calm as well.

Interview Questions
    • Using an ideal ammeter, voltmeter, current and voltage sources, and faulty probes (impedance unknown), how can you calculate the resistance of an ideal resistor?   View Answer

Product Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

First interview was in person and were behavioral questions. The only technical questions was at the end. Question: Describe the voltage characteristics of a battery and a capacitor in parallel.

Second interview was over the phone. They wanted to know about specifics about the projects I have completed.

Third interview is on onsite. I have yet to be interviewed. No offer yet if any.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interviewed for a product/test engineering internship through my university career fair. There was an initial 1:1 behavioral interview (with a very easy technical question) shortly after career fair. After 2 weeks, I heard back that they wanted me to move onto a 2nd round video interview (in 1 week). My video interview was more technical and project based, and they asked me to give a 10 minute presentation on a project I had previously worked on. One week after, I heard back about my offer. They initially gave me 2 weeks to decide on the position, but I was able to extend this (they said they usually don't offer interns extensions, but I was an exception).

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate salary, but I was able to negotiate my response date for another 2.5 weeks.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Texas Instruments.

The hiring process started off with a written test.
    The questions asked consisted of two parts.

Part A - Consisted of questions based on the internship position being applied for. I applied for Analog Design Engineer Internship and was asked questions based on basic MOSFET working (small signal analysis, DC biasing) and to solve RC networks.

Part B - Consisted of standard aptitude questions.

There were two technical interview rounds for the shortlisted candidates.

First Interview - Was based on the way the solutions were found for technical questions in the test and extra questions based on basic MOSFET inverters and opamps.

Second Interview - Based on RC networks and Network Analysis. Questions similar to predicting voltage variations and current variations for a given input at different nodes of a network were asked to be illustrated.

After 2 Technical rounds there was one HR round which consisted of standard HR questions which allowed one to express what they want in life and how they see themselves and others around them.

Interview Questions
    • Voltage variations at different nodes for complex RC networks for a given sine wave input.   Answer Question

/Software Profile Interview

First round is the written round, where around 10 aptitude questions and 10 C/C++ based questions(bit manipulation, storage classes, and other basics) were there. The shortlisted candidates had a face to face personal interview. The PI was based on resume, sorting and bit manipulation. Further shortlisting was done and the final round was an HR round.

Project Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Texas Instruments.

At career fair in my college, they scheduled an on campus interview for the next day. I passed that first interview and they scheduled the second and final interview. I haven't done the second interview, which is supposed to be a phone interview yet. During the first interview they just asked about my projects and what I wanted to do as an intern.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult, didn't ask any scary technical questions, mostly stuff about projects.   Answer Question