The Gap Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014

2.4

Senior Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Had an interview with an agency and then a second interview at Berkeley Square with a Director. I got through to the third round for a final interview.

On the morning of the interview I drove up to attend. My car caught fire on the motorway whilst driving. I was pulled out of the car by fire brigade and police, whilst it burned.

Covered in soot and smoke and slightly distressed, having narrowly escaped and having an urge to hold my 16 week old baby, oh, and having no transport to continue the journey - I called HR at Gap to let them know.

Interview Questions
    • Their response to my request to reschedule was - turn up today, or that's it, you are out of the process. They could hear the motorway and the sirens but wouldn't budge an inch.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

My experience when interviewing for the gap was great. The Hiring manager was warm, friendly and welcoming. I was asked fun questions about fashion about my personality and to put together outfits. Overall the team seemed energetic, positive, and a young group working together to reach targets. As a graduate student looking for a part time job it was definitely a positive place to learn some different skills and have fun as well!

Interview Questions
    • There was not really a difficult question. The most surprising task was to put together an outfit for a specific person and event.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

The hiring process is generally three rounds, where first one is about telephonic interview. They ask you pretty generic questions, for me I thought they just called in to know if I spoke English well or not. Once that was done, they asked me to come to Gap for a Group discussion which is then succeeded by a 1:1 or sometimes 2:1 with manager(s).

Interview Questions
    They do not leave you much room for negotiation, but then at this position, I dont think you need to negotiate much at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Group interview, had to go out in store and pick out an outfit for a customer that was described to us within a set budget.

none

Retail Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Initial half hour phone screening, standard behavioral based questions. Next round was a project to complete. They give you 7 days to create a new brand to introduce to their portfolio, covering everything including product assortment, business strategy, and financial plan. Did not move on past this round due to insufficient market research for new brand. Project was very time-intensive. Final round in home offices in San Francisco.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Submit job application online. Do not bother asking for an application in store...they'll just give you a little card that tells you to apply online. The online application is followed by an online test which tests your organizational skills and workplace ethics. If you meet their needs, they call you for a group interview. If you pass that, they call you for a one on one.

Interview Questions
    • Group interview: Tell me about a particular time where you demonstrated leadership skills.
      One on one: Sell me something....which can be whatever is that you have on you such as articles of clothing, wallet, purse, etc.
        Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Relatively simple. I applied online and received a call about interviewing. The managers I met were friendly, the interview was detailed. They asked several questions about selling techniques and customer service. I did pretty well, just answer questions as you truly feel and you'll be fine. They seemed like they really care about customer service.

None

Assistant Customer Experience Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Filled out the application online. They called for an interview, it happened about 5 days later. The questions were mostly about my experience, since I had a lot of retail. Had job offer by the next day.

Interview Questions
    I asked for my desired wage and they gave it to me, no problem.

Sales Associate Interview

I didn't have an interview because I did an internship there and they hired me during the holidays. Which was pretty easy and I'm still employed at Old Navy. Though wish they can give out more work opportunities.

Gap Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

I was called about a month later after applying online for the job. It was a group interview and very laid back. It was nice because the manager made us feel comfortable and it made it easy to answer the questions being asked, I wore a dress but so e of the people wore jeans,they don't seem too strict about the dress code. We got asked questions like why we love gap ect. Plus questions that related to how we acted in difficult situations like working with someone we didn't like ect.