The Gap Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wembley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

My experience when interviewing for the gap was great. The Hiring manager was warm, friendly and welcoming. I was asked fun questions about fashion about my personality and to put together outfits. Overall the team seemed energetic, positive, and a young group working together to reach targets. As a graduate student looking for a part time job it was definitely a positive place to learn some different skills and have fun as well!

Interview Questions
    • There was not really a difficult question. The most surprising task was to put together an outfit for a specific person and event.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Senior Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Had an interview with an agency and then a second interview at Berkeley Square with a Director. I got through to the third round for a final interview.

On the morning of the interview I drove up to attend. My car caught fire on the motorway whilst driving. I was pulled out of the car by fire brigade and police, whilst it burned.

Covered in soot and smoke and slightly distressed, having narrowly escaped and having an urge to hold my 16 week old baby, oh, and having no transport to continue the journey - I called HR at Gap to let them know.

Interview Questions
    • Their response to my request to reschedule was - turn up today, or that's it, you are out of the process. They could hear the motorway and the sirens but wouldn't budge an inch.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Group interview, had to go out in store and pick out an outfit for a customer that was described to us within a set budget.

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

The hiring process is generally three rounds, where first one is about telephonic interview. They ask you pretty generic questions, for me I thought they just called in to know if I spoke English well or not. Once that was done, they asked me to come to Gap for a Group discussion which is then succeeded by a 1:1 or sometimes 2:1 with manager(s).

Interview Questions
    They do not leave you much room for negotiation, but then at this position, I dont think you need to negotiate much at all.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Applied online, and took about half a year to received a call in for an interview. When you come in for your initial first contact interview you meet with the lead manager and you have a 1 on 1 interview with them. These questions are mostly behavioral questions and also about your past experiences and your goals. Then for the second interview, you will be paired with someone else and asked team orientated interviews. Then at the end of the second interview you will receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    You write how much you expect to be paid on a piece of paper, and the manager also writes you an offer on a piece of paper.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Applied online, Got a call to come into store for an interview a few days later, Group interview with 7 other candidates, Got a call about 4 days later with a job offer.

Stock Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in September 2014.

I applied for the job online and was called to come in for an interview the next day. I met with one of the managers, he asked me my email, when I was available and explained to me what the duties of this job was. My interview lasted about 5 minutes and he didn't ask any typical interview questions. I received an email the next day telling me that I got the job and listed the salary as well.

Associate Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and the process took a little over a month. I had 2 phone interviews and 3 onsite interviews, although I believe I came in more than usual. The recruiting coordinator said most people come in 1 or 2 times and apologized that there were scheduling conflicts. Met with a total of 6 people for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. Just be able to explain your experience and walk through your resume really well. They asked the usual behavioral questions as well as specific questions about your experience for the position. The job description was pretty indicative of the position-related questions they asked.   Answer Question
    The offer was much lower than I expected. I negotiated and got a minimal amount above the original offer. I should have waited a few days and asked them to go back to their compensation analysts.

Director, Government Affairs Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I had a phone interview with Talent Acquisition professional. Interview last approximately one hour. The position was to be part of an existing team of government affairs and communications professionals most who seemed to have previous work history with the company.

The interview was fairly straight forward with no really unexpected questions or difficult ones if you are prepared for the interview.

The Talent Acquisition professional volunteered how many individuals were in the running for the position and was very clear that the process would not be a lengthy one. In totally, it seemed that from the first interview to the final interview, the process lasted only three weeks.

Replenishment Associate Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in July 2014.

I work at the Gap on 34th street. It seems to me that most people are hired by a third party called workforce1. most of all the new hires are hired through them as was I. I went through 3 interviews. The first interview was a pre-screen process at the workforce1 center (bond street, Brooklyn). it was a group interview with about 20+ people "interviewing" for different jobs at different businesses. You get to choose which jobs you want to try out for. At the end of the group interview they tell you which jobs they will push you forward to. I went twice the first time I did not get the Gap. The next interview was a few days later with the stores head manager/GM (still not sure of her title but that is besides the point. She is really nice and pulls no punches, she lets you know up front this is not a 9-5 job with guaranteed 40 hours a week. If that is what you are looking for you can leave out the door, judgment free zone. This was also a group interview, a bit smaller maybe 15 people. After that interview she reserved the right to call you from the time you leave until Sunday at 8 pm. I got called later that night around 10pm and was scheduled for an interview the next day. This was another group interview and took place at an office near the Gap on 34th street with the hiring manager. This group interview was much smaller than the others, there was about 8-10 people. It was pretty much standard go around of answering and asking questions. I got a call a week later saying they wanted to move forward and needed to do a background check. It took them 10+ days after that phone call to officially offer me the position.

Interview Questions
    • What are some fashion trends that you are noticing?   View Answer
    No negotiations. Previous to this I was working at another major fashion retail for about 11 months. Gap gave me 10.50 but this other hire got 11.50. The other hire had been working in retail close to 5 years and was once a manager. So if you have similar qualifications definitely correct them if they try and give you 10.50.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!