The Gap

Updated 20 Jan 2015

2.4

Senior Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Had an interview with an agency and then a second interview at Berkeley Square with a Director. I got through to the third round for a final interview.

On the morning of the interview I drove up to attend. My car caught fire on the motorway whilst driving. I was pulled out of the car by fire brigade and police, whilst it burned.

Covered in soot and smoke and slightly distressed, having narrowly escaped and having an urge to hold my 16 week old baby, oh, and having no transport to continue the journey - I called HR at Gap to let them know.

Interview Questions
    • Their response to my request to reschedule was - turn up today, or that's it, you are out of the process. They could hear the motorway and the sirens but wouldn't budge an inch.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

My experience when interviewing for the gap was great. The Hiring manager was warm, friendly and welcoming. I was asked fun questions about fashion about my personality and to put together outfits. Overall the team seemed energetic, positive, and a young group working together to reach targets. As a graduate student looking for a part time job it was definitely a positive place to learn some different skills and have fun as well!

Interview Questions
    • There was not really a difficult question. The most surprising task was to put together an outfit for a specific person and event.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

The hiring process is generally three rounds, where first one is about telephonic interview. They ask you pretty generic questions, for me I thought they just called in to know if I spoke English well or not. Once that was done, they asked me to come to Gap for a Group discussion which is then succeeded by a 1:1 or sometimes 2:1 with manager(s).

Interview Questions
    They do not leave you much room for negotiation, but then at this position, I dont think you need to negotiate much at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Group interview, had to go out in store and pick out an outfit for a customer that was described to us within a set budget.

none

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I applied online and they called me a few days later to schedule an interview. The interview was with one of the managers, and it was very simple: he took me into their break room, asked me about my reasoning for wanting to work with the brand. He then asked me to describe my personal style, talk about my experiences with people, and asked me about availability. He told me on the spot that I was hired and that he would be calling me soon to set up a day for training and orientation. It very casual, easy, and simple!

Senior Merchandiser Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

Was approached on LinkedIn by an external recruiter. Had phone conversations with both external recruiter and internal HR. Followed 4 back-to-back, 1 hour interviews, including the hiring manager. The remaining interviewers were director-level, including merchandising (from another division), planning and production. Was called back a week later to meet with the VP of Merch and Director of Design. For all interviews, had to prepare a Trend Analysis and SWOT presentation. Received offer letter 2 days later. Did require a bit of extra following up with Recruiting at some points.

Absolutely no negotiation on salary.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

After an initial meet with the the head hiring manager, myself and one other potential hire sat down with a different hiring manager at a nearby cafe. It was very laid back and put me at ease. We discussed our qualifications, what the job would entail and were asked to explain how we might react in different hypothetical situations.

Assistant Manager of Merchandising Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Thorough interview process. The entire process took me through 3 interviews. There was less emphasis on who you as a person and more emphasis on your operational and business knowledge. Usually you get interviewed by a Store Manager, then District Manager and then possibly an interview with a Visual Merchandising Manager.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most important metric in the business when you are struggling to make money?   Answer Question
    I was unable to negotiate. They are not very flexible with pay.

General Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I was pleased to be reached by a recruiter on LinkedIn about an open position. She got me in contact with an HR person that I had a few conversations with and one phone interview lasting 2 hours. I then had a follow up phone interview with the DM and another phone interview with the HR person. Lastly I was invited to an in person interview with a training lady. All in all every interview went great, smooth conversation, no difficult questions I couldn't answer. They even talked about pay, bonuses, when I could start how my training would go. Was told I would get a call in a few days from the last interview and then I never heard a word again. I reached out twice over a month span but got nothing. Would've been nice to have some feedback after 5 in depth interviews.

CAD Design Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

I received a call from Gap recruiter, he interview me over the phone about what I do and would I me interested in exploring new opportunities. Then I was interviewed with my hiring manager, who ask me to work on a project. After presenting my project to my hiring manager, I was interviewed by my hiring manager's manager. it is a long process with multiple layers before they decide on the final candidate. Just be patience.

Interview Questions
    • I'm not sure if it's most difficult, just be prepare to answer questions that would bring your value to the company.   Answer Question