The Gap

Updated 16 Dec 2014

2.4

Senior Merchandise Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Had an interview with an agency and then a second interview at Berkeley Square with a Director. I got through to the third round for a final interview.

On the morning of the interview I drove up to attend. My car caught fire on the motorway whilst driving. I was pulled out of the car by fire brigade and police, whilst it burned.

Covered in soot and smoke and slightly distressed, having narrowly escaped and having an urge to hold my 16 week old baby, oh, and having no transport to continue the journey - I called HR at Gap to let them know.

Interview Questions
    • Their response to my request to reschedule was - turn up today, or that's it, you are out of the process. They could hear the motorway and the sirens but wouldn't budge an inch.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

My experience when interviewing for the gap was great. The Hiring manager was warm, friendly and welcoming. I was asked fun questions about fashion about my personality and to put together outfits. Overall the team seemed energetic, positive, and a young group working together to reach targets. As a graduate student looking for a part time job it was definitely a positive place to learn some different skills and have fun as well!

Interview Questions
    • There was not really a difficult question. The most surprising task was to put together an outfit for a specific person and event.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

The hiring process is generally three rounds, where first one is about telephonic interview. They ask you pretty generic questions, for me I thought they just called in to know if I spoke English well or not. Once that was done, they asked me to come to Gap for a Group discussion which is then succeeded by a 1:1 or sometimes 2:1 with manager(s).

Interview Questions
    They do not leave you much room for negotiation, but then at this position, I dont think you need to negotiate much at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Group interview, had to go out in store and pick out an outfit for a customer that was described to us within a set budget.

none

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Applied online. Took a few weeks for them to contact me. The interview is not a simple "sit and talk." They interviewed me and another candidate at the same time out in the middle of the store. Asked us the basic questions like "what can you contribute, how does your personality fit in, why Gap, how do you reactin so and so situation?" Then they made us pick out an outfit and "sell" it to them. They were very friendly, but it was kind of awkward just standing there for like 10 minutes while customers were walking around.

Interview Questions
    • How can you represent Gap's goal of a family friendly enviornment to the customer?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap.

Applied online. Recruiter contacted me within a couple of weeks to ask basic questions about my background and salary expectations. Had a phone interview with the hiring manager. Had an onsite interview a week after. Was told I would hear from them regarding next steps in a couple of weeks. 2 months later, and nothing. I reached out to the recruiter a couple of times, but never heard back from her. I have heard that this is normal. The Gap is known for their awful recruiting team.

Interview Questions
    • be prepared to provide examples of how your experience relates to the job you applied to.   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

The interview was pretty quick and standard. I was called in for an interview about a week after submitting an application online. The interview consisted of two managers and me. I was hired on for Christmas help and was kept permanently.

I got what I asked for

RMP Interview

Application on company website, Preliminary phone or in person screening interview with behavioral questions and why you want to do the program and work at the company, 2nd interview on Skype to present prepared project, lasts approximately an hour, 3rd round assessment day at HQ, tests and interviews with group of other candidates and executives/leaders in the company, meals and travel provided for, takes a couple days to respond with offer or not, recruiting in Fall and hiring by November, hire two classes of 15-20 candidates

Interview Questions
    • If you could create a new business/brand for the company what would it be?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

Applied online. Received a phone call 2-3 weeks later saying I had an interview the following Monday. On Monday I received a call that went to voicemail that morning saying the interview was cancelled and they would call me back "later" to set up another time. I returned the call to confirm I had received the message.

6 weeks go by. Never heard from them. I did not bother to contact them again because I did not want to seem desperate, and I was not desperate for the job. I thought if they were interested they would have just hired me, so they probably found someone else. Still annoying to be left on the hook like that.

But one day, somewhere in the middle of week 6, I get a call saying they'd like to interview me the following day. I go to the interview, seriously took less than 10 minutes and was mostly an explanation of the company and store. Only question I remember being asked is what my sense of style was and how I got it. I was also asked about availability. I was told I was a good fit and they would see how many people they were hiring and if there was room for me, they'd run a background check and hire me. I didn't expect to hear from them again, my last 3 interviews at other companies had said the same thing at the end, just to kinda let me down easily.

A week later I got a call saying I had the job and needed to come the next day to fill out paperwork. We set up a time, and I arrived in the store only about 1 minute late. I waited 20 minutes for the assistant manager, and filling out the paperwork took 30 minutes. Then, I was told I'd be called over the weekend with a time to train before the holiday rush, probably sometime the following Monday, which was 4 days before the rush.

Sunday afternoon and I had not heard anything. So I called, and was told they'd have a time Monday morning at 9:00 a.m.

Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. I called only to be told I'd be called back later with a time I could train with a few other new-hires.

Monday at 4:30 p.m. I had not heard, so I called back. They were shocked I hadn't been called, but then again no one else had either. I was told I'd be called "later."

Monday is over now, still waiting to get a time to be trained. If the work schedule continues on in this fashion, I will be resigning probably after the first paycheck, if I ever see one. I cannot put everything in my life on hold everyday because I "might" have to work. It's ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions, only asked about sense of fashion.   Answer Question
    $8.50/hr for seasonal sales associates, raises post holiday season.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

I was hired within a week of my interview. The interview was quick simple questions and it was one on on. Questions surrounded working in a fast pace environment and selling store card.