The Gap

Average Difficulty
260 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Wembley, England

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Interview Details My experience when interviewing for the gap was great. The Hiring manager was warm, friendly and welcoming. I was asked fun questions about fashion about my personality and to put together outfits. Overall the team seemed energetic, positive, and a young group working together to reach targets. As a graduate student looking for a part time job it was definitely a positive place to learn some different skills and have fun as well!

Interview Question – There was not really a difficult question. The most surprising task was to put together an outfit for a specific person and event.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

London, England

I interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details Group interview, had to go out in store and pick out an outfit for a customer that was described to us within a set budget.

Interview Question – Why did you pick those shoes?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

City of London, England

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2011.

Interview Details The hiring process is generally three rounds, where first one is about telephonic interview. They ask you pretty generic questions, for me I thought they just called in to know if I spoke English well or not. Once that was done, they asked me to come to Gap for a Group discussion which is then succeeded by a 1:1 or sometimes 2:1 with manager(s).

Interview Question – None.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They do not leave you much room for negotiation, but then at this position, I dont think you need to negotiate much at all.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

Interview Details it was quick and concise... And, getting an interview pretty much guarantees hiring. the staff seems welcoming. not that much questions during the interview process. it was informal so for the position it is really not nerve wracking.

Negotiation Details – quick

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2011.

Interview Details just apply online and they'll call you if they're interested. interview process is pretty easy. just be yourself and answer honestly and you should be set. i wore a v neck sweater and an oxford button down and skinny jeans. they tell you to sell them what you have on and that was pretty easy. try to stand out but don't over do it because it doesnt seem like they like that too much.

Interview Question – nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there wasn't one. its was a starting position so i took it. 8.25 isn't so bad.

Brooklyn, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details I applied online for The Gap , and the next day I got a call for an interview. The interview was a group interview with at least 20 people, there were three mangers and each one of them asked a question, and everyone took turns answering the question, and they did a little thing where you had to try and remember everyones name in the circle.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. When is there a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer? What is a time you made a mistake and how did you fix it? what is one word that describe you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in January 2013.

Interview Details applied online got a phone call and group interview in the same week. About ten people there. Very friendly environment. Not intimidating at all. Depending on the hiring manager, the process is fairly simple.

Interview Question – general questions none were difficult or unexpected   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details Went in the store for introduction then applied online. I had an one on one interview with the manager and the interview questions were pretty standard. Mostly about previous work experience and how I would handle difficult situations. However, I didn't find the manager to be very professional. Main reason why I declined the offer. Totally agree with some other comments, the management could be a hit or miss.

Reason for Declining – I didn't want to work for that particular manager.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details I had to keep calling and finally when one of the managers that I needed picked up the phone I was scheduled for an interview at that time. I went in and had a typical interview and was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Gap?
Describe your sense of style?
Who influences your style?
What qualities can you bring to the Gap?
Why should we hire you?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and got a call from the store one month later. I went in for an interview that day. The associates who were working seemed nice enough. Overall low-key environment. My interviewer (the hiring manager for the store) was dressed fairly casually, in a Gap maxi dress. In this particular store the interview was very informal and friendly.

Interview Question – There were few questions and all of them were very easy. Availability, previous retail experience, "Why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!