The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
206 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

South Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details I was 15 minutes early, the manager was very kind and thanked me for being early. He asked me to wait for a few minutes and came and got me at appt. time. There were about 8 straight forward questions, which I answered that were common sense in regards tp dealing with the company.

Interview Question – What would be the hardest thing to deal with during a shift   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for what I thought they were hiring for, he said he wished he could do it worked on his computer and offered .75 less per hour.

Utica, MI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details Pretty simple questions if you have ever worked retail. A lot about dealing with customers. Had to interview with two separate people then they offered me the job. Must take drug screen within 48 hours.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to use speed and accuracy to complete a task.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really any negotiation. They only pay $8.50 for cashiers.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details Applied online, in about 4 days I was called in for an interview, they asked basic questions about the type of person I was, and such. After the interview they said that I had to go for a drug test that day. You can't reschedule. I got the job the next day after the drug screen.

Interview Question – Asked about the founders of the company. I researched before hand but I forgot the names towards the middle of the interview. The interviewer was nice about it and said I learn them pretty quick while working there.   Answer Question

Abbotsford, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details Phone interview by someone in Toronto (for a position in Abbotsford BC). A face to face interview and time to fill out forms (i.e. consent for criminal background check) and references. A week later, a second interview with the store manager, which was a very comfortable meet and greet.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Either I accepted $10.75 and hour or I didn't.

Corona, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details I put in an application and then about a week later I received a call to do a phone interview. The phone interview was basically asking about when did you go beyond and above and what kind of experience do you have. A week later I got an in person interview and there was a lot of what if questions and how you would help the customer questions. There was questions like since you are the last person the customer sees what would you do.

Interview Question – What would you do if a person needed a fitting with a certain pipe piece.   View Answer

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2011.

Interview Details It was based on my long application from online, with questions on my experience level and ability to multi task. It felt more like a personal conversation then one for a job. I felt my going to college was not something they would work with I had to adjust my schedule to accommodate the job. Was not good

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details show practical experience in the interview was not expected , but easy to do. Very common interview questions like why you want to work for us even after having a college degree.

Interview Question – doing demo for helping in the store   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details After application was submitted, I got a phone interview from Atlanta. The next trick was to schedule an in person interview at the site with the asm and store manager. Between their vacations, work schedules, and my schedule, it took another 3 weeks before I actually got hired.

Interview Question – Tell about a time when you solved a problem for a customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was already above minimum wage and it was only a part time job.

Lawrence, KS (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2014.

Interview Details The process was easy. Asked five easy straight forward questions. It was hard to find where the interview would take place. But my interviewer was nice and relaxed which made the process less anxious for me.

Interview Question – What do you think great customer service entails?   View Answer

Lexington, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details I had a phone screening first, then I sat down with the Hiring manager. The interview was easy and typical as far as retail interviews go. They asked the same ten questions I had been asked at with interviews from Lowes and Target. They write down all of your responses and rate each of your questions on a scale from 1-5.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the Home Depot?
Why should we hire you?
(Ok, these First two I made up, but they are something to think about. The rest are from my actual interview experience)

Tell me about a time when you had to take the lead on a project or task. How did that work out? What was your success, what could you do differently?

Do you have accomplishments that you are particularly proud of?

Tell me about a time when you had to improvise because you had limited resources or time?

Tell me about your experience in customer service?

Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an upset customer. How did you resolve the situation and ensure the customer was happy?

How do you do in social situations where you are the new comer? (How comfortable are you with new people?

You have to do a task and your shift is coming to an end. You know it won't be completed before the end of your shift. What do you do?

Tell me about your best character trait? What is your worst trait?

You're in the middle of a complex task and a customer interrupts you to as a question. What do you do? (Hint: they are very big on HELP THE CUSTOMER!!!)
  Answer Question

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!