The Home Depot

1,420 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tool Rental Interview

Tool Rental

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2010.

Interview Details Received a call about a month after applying. I had an interview with an HR specialist in store. it was a short basic boiler plate interview. I was applying as an inshore associate.
The online app included a questionnaire to determine my mental abilities and problems. I answered honestly and interviewed

Interview Question – Nothing really, very boiler plate   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much, hourly job when i was in college

Freight Team Associate Interview

Freight Team Associate
Flowery Branch, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied for the Freight Team position online and approximately a week later, I received a call from Home Depot's recruiting center to setup an in store interview. The in-store interview consisted of your normal run of the mill interview questions. Questions were asked about previous work experience, handling different customer service scenarios, and availability. The interview was conducted by the store's Operations Manager and Freight Team Supervisor. After about a week or so I was called back for a drug screen and background check.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in the next five years?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Service Desk Interview

Service Desk
Sterling, VA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details You will have to fill out an application online for the position you are interested in. This will include a resume, career history, personality test, etc. Next, the corporate office will call you to schedule an interview with the Home Depot in which you applied. The interview is straight forward they ask you questions rating your customer service and sales skills and record your answer.

Interview Question – Describe a time in which you acted as a leader within a group   Answer Question

Area Supervisor Interview

Area Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2010.

Interview Details Just situational questions that talk about how you handle certain situations. When looking at the questions you need to just stay positive. Overall the interview was not hard if you had experience in management in the past.

Interview Question – About conflicts while at work. Keep it positive.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate pay. They offered more than I made at my current job.

Appliance Sales Specialist Interview

Appliance Sales Specialist

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details First I applied online and then three months later I got an email the day my application was expiring explaining a phone interview. Called them for my interview by the number directed on the email. Then I talked with the operator and once I was done being asked a few questions, she set up a store interview. Well when I first went to the store I had to wait since the store manager was conducting another interview. Once I went in the store manager introduced himself, very polite and straight forward. We talked about ourselves and then he started asking me questions about. Why home depot and what experience I could apply to the work environment. After that I knew I had originally applied for another position and he told me he wanted to place me in appliance specialist instead with highest entry pay since my attitude and knowledge seemed to be perfect for the position. It went very well and he said congratulations we will see you soon.

Interview Question – What is your weakness?...
What skills can you apply to working for Home Depot?
What is your experience with retail?
How would you deal with a rude customer?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation..

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details HIRING PROCESS WAS SIMPLE WITH COMMON QUESTIONS. There were 10 OF THEM. The ASM greeted me and asked me the interview questions. Then a second ASM asked me 5 questions. I then left and received a phone call that they wanted another interview, in which the store manager offered me the position.

Interview Question – WHAT WILL I DO IF I HAD A DIFFICULT CUSTOMER AND WANTED TO NOT PAY BECAUSE HE DESERVED THE ITEM. WHAT WILL U DO?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO I DIDNT NEGOTIATE

Very Difficult Interview

Asset Protection Specialist Interview

Asset Protection Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details I've applied online several times and my applications have never made it through the system (I know several managers that have checked for my applications). I finally was called for a phone screen about a month after my last application. The phone screen was simple questions about experience and availability. From the phone screen, they asked me to schedule an interview with the Asset Protection Manager. It turns out the AP manager and I were coming from the same employer, but when she was there, my position was not directly involved in shoplifter apprehensions and now is. She appeared to not believe me that I had any shoplifter experience despite the three years I had listed on my application and kept trying to catch me in a lie. As I continued to answer her trick questions correctly, she appeared to become more and more frustrated. She even asked me, "since you claim you have apprehension experience, what are the five steps to apprehend a shoplifter?" I thought she was kidding at first since that is the first thing you learn in LP, but I answered. There were also eight situation questions. By the end, it seemed like I was wasting her time, even though I have several years of experience. I thought it was quite unprofessional to question me on their experience when I was answering all of the questions correctly and she could just call my employer to verify.

Interview Question – What are the five steps to apprehend a shoplifter?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Stapleton, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2014.

Interview Details Interview was simple, fill out an online application, answer a few basic questions on a phone interview. They will set up a meeting with an HR supervisor at the store or at a different store for a hiring fair. Questions we not difficult. They like if you dress business casual. Do not show up late. Use this time to discuss salary and get it as high as possible, raises do not come often and you work your butt off.

Interview Question – What would you do if you could not answer a customers question?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details Initial Phone call from Corporate Human Resource, followed up by a interview with the store manager and possibly Human Resource, Back ground and drug test, Begin a 6 week training program at Corporate home office. Then Detailed training at your base store. Must learn computer processes and alarms, all operational procedures.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time, that you have failed, what did you learn from it, and how would you prevent it from reoccurring.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Saint Louis, MO (US)

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details Process started with automated phone questions which anyone could answer. Then I was transfered to a live person who asked me several more questions. I was told after answering the questions that I had passed that portion of the interview process. Then that live person scheduled a face to face interview at the local Home Depot store. Face to face interview at store was with a woman who seemed like she could care less about me, the interview, or her job. The interviewer did no make eye contact with me, she seemed distracted, and was unprofessional. She gave me very little information and did not explain to me the purpose for, or the reason why, she was requesting certain information from me. The interview lasted about ten minutes. Two weeks passed and I got a call from the lady who interviewed me requesting that I provide a state I.D. in order for them to run a background check. I was asked at that time if I was still interested in a position at Home Depot. I was told that the position I applied for was no longer available but they were considering me for other positions but did not tell me which ones.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions or unexpected questions.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – After face to face interview at the store I decided that it was not a work environment that I wanted to be a part of.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!