The Nielsen Company

Getting the Interview

31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Oxford, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in June 2010.

Interview Details The recruiter found my CV online and offered to apply for the graduate position with BASES. Although the process took something like 2 month it was quite structured. At first I got a math test. 10 questions and 2 essays. I think for preparation it is good to do some GMAT questions, including some basic probability ( 2-3 questions).Essay were on new product development and research questions. Then there was a screening recruitment interview and finally 2 weeks later assessment centre. Everyone was really nice and very friendly. It consisted of a group exercise and several individual exercises. Everyone is very nice and friendly, so try to be yourself and enjoy experience.

Interview Question – How many bottles of beer are drank in the city over the week.   View Answers (6)

New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details Two rounds of interviews, with a written assessment

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty standard   Answer Question

Interview Details Interview process has multiple stages
Couple of technical rounds
then HR interview
Technical rounds may have stat, Case study prstn, language proficiency questions.

Interview Question – managing time for the written test is most dificult   View Answer

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details Applied online, was asked for a phone interview to which I replied with available times and received no response. I followed up within the time frame in case the email was lost or something but still nothing. Very odd and unprofessional. It seems that if there were too many responses an email is an easy thing to send these days.

Interview Question – the lack of any....   Answer Question

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Interviewed at The Nielsen Company

Interview Details 4 rounds.
1. written test
2. group discussion & presentation
3. panel interviews (HR, case studies, background check)
4. presentation to the head of the team

Interview Question – not very difficult in general, require some understanding about the market research industry and good analytical mind is very crucial.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in January 2013.

Interview Details Applied online but also had an employee referral. Recruiter contacted me quickly by email. There was a phone interview, followed by an online skills and personality test, and then two rounds of three 45 minute interviews followed by a lunch with a current analyst.

The skills test questions were similar to LSAT questions. Qualitative logic type questions not quantitative or math skills questions.

The interview process took a very long time and the HR department seems somewhat disorganized.

Interview Question – There were a lot of case study questions. Since I interviewed with 6 different people I got a wide variety of standard interview questions.

One interviewer gave me his pen and asked me to sell it to him.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at The Nielsen Company

Interview Details first round interview was written test and the group interview by a human resources staff and the human resources manager. written test was about java and vba, but all i know about the two systems was their names. so i didn't pass the first round.

Interview Question – written test was about computer skills but i never learned it and my major was nothing related to computer sciences.   Answer Question

Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Nielsen Company.

Interview Details Applied online through university recruitment.

Was invited to complete a reasoning test. The test included basic statistics questions (high-school level problems) along with a case study at the end, giving a client a recommendation. The test seemed easy but I didn't not get invited back to any further steps. It seems like the test was used to weed out candidates. I'm certain all the math questions were answered correctly. Perhaps they were looking for unique answers to the case study.

Interview Question – If there X amount of members in a community and Y percentage read a newspaper. W amount read paper A and Z amount read paper B. What percent of community members read both paper A and B?   Answer Question

Mumbai (India)

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in June 2012.

Interview Details A written test followed by three rounds of interviews. First was technical and over the phone. Second was face to face and technical. Third was general discussion and over the phone.

TEch rounds were based on the CV. General discussion was with the ofshore manager and more in terms of interests and what to expect at the job

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years time   View Answer

Negotiation Details – If you negotiate then they may notch up the salary a bit, but then hit you in other ways, like they may reduce the bonus part.

Cincinnati, OH (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Nielsen Company in January 2013.

Interview Details After application, it was 2-3 weeks before hearing back from the team lead (not HR, for which I was glad) about setting up a phone interview. We set one up and discussed my background, resume, education, and general interview stuff: how do you prefer to think, etc. At the conclusion, the interviewer said he would like to set up another phone interview with another member of the team, and I sent available times. The second interview was more focused on the company itself, and what the particular development team (the one I would be joining) did.

Another two or so weeks passed before I received a message from the team lead, saying I'd moved forward to the written analytical test. It was sent to me by email on a mutually discussed and agreed-upon date/time, and I completed it at home, scanned my on-paper answers into a PDF, and sent it back to him. In a few days, I was informed I'd moved to the in-person interview.

The in-person interview was three parts, and each involved interviews with members of the team (again, I was thankful for minimal HR intrusion). One interviewer was the team lead again, with a mix of analytical and "soft skills" questions. The second was more technical and mathematical, getting further into the statistical and calculus elements of the position. The third was mostly personality- and behavior-based in the questioning.

I was told I'd hear back within two weeks, and I did. The interview was a Friday; I heard back in 13 days precisely. Unfortunately, I was not selected, but it was a very nice process overall. I even inquired to the team lead if there was anything in particular that made the chosen candidate, and he was kind enough to tell me what made the difference.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was a technical one involving the use of functionals. I can't remember the precise wording.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Nielsen Company

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nielsen Company Research Analyst interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Nielsen Company employees and interview candidates.