The Standard Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr 2015

Benefit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

spoke with recruiter early in and did not get a call back for a few weeks. Met with hiring manager and his manager first (was scheduled with others after initial). They decided after we finished that I did not have the background they were looking for. Needed more details of examples of what I did, was the feedback I got. Too bad for me as I do have the background.

Interview Questions

• Details of a project I took on by myself and how I handled it and the outcome.   Answer Question

Interview

filled out online application and submitted resume, received an email four days later to schedule a phone interview which took about twenty minutes and was told I would hear from them on the next step in two to two and a half weeks. It has been about a week, haven't heard anything back yet.

Interview Questions

• when was a time you proposed change and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Claims Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

Interview

I was contacted in an appropriate time frame; approx. five to seven days of applying for the role. The human resources screening person -- a recruiter, I think -- was courteous and knowledgeable about the position. I was appropriately referred to the hiring manager who was also prompt in responding and following through with each step.

Interview Questions

• What is a common misconception people often have about you?   1 Answer

LTD Claims Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at The Standard (Portland, OR (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

I went on the interview and afterward they said if I got hired they would decide later what team I would be on and who my manager would be. I never got a call or email so I called HR and they were no help. I never did get a call telling me the status. When I did try to reach someone it was impossible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer.   1 Answer

Actuarial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Standard in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online in September, received call back for 30-minute phone interview two weeks before Thanksgiving. Phone interview focused on behavioral questions and only briefly touched technical matters. Call for final interview at Portland office came Tuesday before Thanksgiving, scheduled for early December. Final interview was 4 hours, encompassing 11 people, before having two people for lunch. Interview questions matched those posted here pretty closely, focusing on teamwork and experience dealing with difficult situations. Surprisingly, almost no technical questions, and only a few on technological/computational experience; no actuarial questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were given a role you did not want, and how you handled the position.   Answer Question

Interview

phone interview with HR mainly about resume and background. Then one month later an in person panel interview with general interview questions. Then a final interview and offer. The people interviewing were a mix between managerial staff and analysts. they all seemed largely uninterested in being there.

pay

Mortgage Loan Processor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Standard in September 2014.

Interview

Applied for the position that I found on an online job board. It took about 5 weeks to get a call back and the interview was set for a week later. Went in to their Hillsboro office building. It was nice and the atmosphere was quiet, only a few people walking around. I was interviewed by the man who would be my supervisor, another supervisor, and their boss. The interview lasted for about 35 minutes and there were not too many surprises. After the interview, I followed up with 'Thank you' emails to the two supervisors who gave me their cards. Got a call a week later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. The one question I hadn't prepared for was "Give a ratio of how you like to work. Independent, with your head down. Or being interrupted and talking to other people."   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

DC Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Standard.

Interview

Phone interview first then panel interview. Behavior type questions - sometimes can be a panel of people (4). Wasn't very difficult but it was stressful like all interviews are. Skills like working with excel spreadsheet is an advantage with this company. Be prepared to show that you can data mine also.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not negotiable

Rating Analyst Interview

Interview

Phone interview then a panel interview with two hiring managers. Managers were friendly but stuck to the boiler plate questions. Not very original or personable. When they offer the position they state that they have no room to negotiate earnings, but if you have any hope of maintaining an industry standard wage, you will need to negotiate up front, because you will not get it afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you could not meet a customer's expectations and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Standard in May 2014.

Interview

I received an email after submitting my resume for this position. I set up a time for a phone interview and a recruiter called me. At the end of the interview he indicated there would be up to two weeks before another local recruiter contacted me, either by email or telephone.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you had to escalate a situation. What was the situation, what did you do, how did you decide to escalate it.   Answer Question