The Standard Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 3, 2014
23 interviews

2.8

DC Analyst Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

Phone interview first then panel interview. Behavior type questions - sometimes can be a panel of people (4). Wasn't very difficult but it was stressful like all interviews are. Skills like working with excel spreadsheet is an advantage with this company. Be prepared to show that you can data mine also.

not negotiable

Rating Analyst Interview

Phone interview then a panel interview with two hiring managers. Managers were friendly but stuck to the boiler plate questions. Not very original or personable. When they offer the position they state that they have no room to negotiate earnings, but if you have any hope of maintaining an industry standard wage, you will need to negotiate up front, because you will not get it afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you could not meet a customer's expectations and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Policy Administration Specialist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Standard in May 2014.

I received an email after submitting my resume for this position. I set up a time for a phone interview and a recruiter called me. At the end of the interview he indicated there would be up to two weeks before another local recruiter contacted me, either by email or telephone.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you had to escalate a situation. What was the situation, what did you do, how did you decide to escalate it.   Answer Question

Process Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at The Standard in April 2014.

The process included two phone screens - one with the recruiter and another with the hiring manager. Three candidates were selected to interview on site. The in person interview had two parts. First with a 2-person peer panel that posed situational questions. The second was with the hiring manager which actually felt more like a phone screen than an in-person interview. I think it was due to a large time gap between the phone screen and the in-person interview. In the interview invite I was asked to bring work samples but I wasn't asked for it during the interview. I used the samples when I was asked if there was anything else I wanted to share.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager gave me a quiz on terms and the variations of the same type of terms. For example, what's the difference between TAK time and throughput. I believe the questions were less about my knowledge and more about the interviewer's desire to relate to the concept terms. Because the job was in an administrative area the manufacturing terms commonly get murky.   Answer Question

Contracts Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

Straightforward, easy process. Phone Interview, then an in person interview with team lead and the higher up.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you improved the morale of others on your team   Answer Question

Disability Benefits Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Standard in January 2010.

Applied on a Monday, interviewed on a Wednesday, started the next week.

None

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at The Standard in November 2013.

The actual interview itself was industry standard. The process itself was unorthodox and in some ways misleading.

I had initially posted for this position middle of 2013 and was told that the salary band for the position was not in line with what my expectations were. No harm no foul, and the hiring manager was kind enough to offer his assistance in other positions that I was willing to pursue. Later on in the year, the same hiring manager contacted me to communicate that the salary band for the position had been re-evaluated where they could now meet my requirements and he encouraged me to reapply. I did so, and had a face to face interview with the hiring manager. I felt the meeting went well and was told that I had demonstrated the ability to doing the job well, but that the interview process was just beginning and that he would remain in contact with me. After four weeks, I was told that since they didn't have any other local qualified candidates that the position was being opened up to a national search, at which time I asked, "Have the requirements for the job changed?" and I was told "No." and that again I would be kept informed of the process. After another six weeks, I was then told I was no longer being considered because they had found candidates who had worked for competitors doing the same job. Now the outcome I'm okay with, but this ties back to my original question about the job requirements changing, and if working for a competitor was now a requirement for the job, I was not given the opportunity to speak to it as my background included such experience. I walked away soured by my experience simply because 1. The hiring manager had contacted me to apply, and 2. I was misinformed about the job requirements changing and not given a chance to speak to my experience filling that requirement. Although I commend the hiring manager of keeping me informed, I do felt that I was strung along throughout the process.

Disability Benefits Examiner Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

phone interview asking to discuss resume, why I choose them, questions meant to demonstrate skill transfer, salary question, team work question

Sales Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

Interviewed separately with Sales manager twice and with members of sales team. Part question and answer session, part informal conversation. Questions centered around sales and industry experience with emphasis on my personal sales style and past accomplishments. They painted a very nice portrait of The Standard and it seemed like a nice place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a failure in your career and how you learned from it.   Answer Question

Q/A Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR (US)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Standard.

I had a phone interview, and was contacted the same day to come in for a final-round interview about 1.5 weeks later. The phone interview was mostly behavioral, with some questions about my technical skills in excel and with general data analysis. The interview in person was actually even more behavioral than I expected, it was really about determining compatibility with the team. I met with two team members, then had a one on one interview, then a final interview with the team leader. The interview process was very straightforward, and everyone was very kind and professional. I declined the offer solely because I received another offer that was better suited for my long-term career goals.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with Excel?
      Why do you want this job?
      What does teamwork mean to you?
        Answer Question

Worked for The Standard? Contribute to the Community!