The World Bank Interview Questions

Updated 13 Apr 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in July 2012.

Interview

Applied online. The process took no more than six month since the moment I applied. I enjoyed the experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions were pretty much in line with my expectations   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

Submitted application materials to current analysts who were organizing the hiring process. The process was completely done via Bank employee networks. After the process was over, I asked about finding out about open positions later (e.g. where could I find them online), and the current analyst told me that positions for there group are never posted online, so you just have to be in the right circles to be alerted to the openings.

When going in for my interview, the analysts cleared me for the wrong day with the front desk, so I was approx. 20 minutes late for the interview. When I subsequently went in for the interview, the hiring economists were visibly annoyed with me even after the analyst explained the miscommunication. The interview was rushed, and the economists continued to do work on their laptops during the interview. Also, the analysts kept offering me cookies during the interview, which was a lot more uncomfortable than it sounds.

All in all, probably the strangest interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• What is an economic measure that you look at in your current job?   Answer Question

Senior Professional Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

Very long and odd process with very little communication in between steps. It took three or four steps - from applying online to short-listed to initial interview to final interview. I went from applying for the position to being flow into DC for a final interview in four months with very little communication. I was told at my last interview hundreds had applied and they were down to the last three or four with a decision coming in a week. I never heard from them again. I was disappointed that they did not see fit to call me and inform me I didn't get the job offer. I spend two days flying into DC and back. The job was a senior level professional position and I would think that deserved a phone call or at least an email. The last interview at the DC office was odd as well. I showed up to the designated office fifteen minutes early and nobody was there. The conference room listed on my paperwork was dark- no lights. It wasn't until five minutes after the start time did anyone show up and they mentioned it would be in a few minutes. Twenty-five minutes later they finally showed up. The interview lasted a little over an hour and half. Then they got up and said thanks for coming and left. They didn't ask me if I had any questions or help me find my way out. I figured then I wasn't getting the position but was surprised they left me to wander the halls to find my way out. Maybe they had already made their decision by the time I got to my final interview and it was just a formality. Note sure why they would go through the time and expense to fly me into DC and then never contact me again. Overall a very disappointing experience. I expected a little more professionalism from the World Bank.

Interview Questions

• Two or three questions about diversity.   1 Answer

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

I saw an online posting and sent in my resume with a cover letter. About a week and a half later, somebody from the specific department contacted me to ask me to perform a timed skills assessment. A week after that, I was asked to come in for an interview with a panel. It was about an hour. I heard nothing for over two weeks after that, and then they called to offer me a position. It did feel slow at times, but everybody I interacted with at the interview was very warm and friendly.

Interview Questions

• Almost all the questions were focused on skills. "When was a time you did X" or "How familiar are you with Y and what projects have you worked on that required Y".   Answer Question

Short Term Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

The interview process included one phone interview, two in-person interviews, and an offer received within 2 weeks. There was some negotiation involved in salary but eventually a desirable offer was made and accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Some back and forth negotiation on salary and start date.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

interviewers were very nice, did not ask hard questions, just be yourself, dress appropriately, formal is always advisable. arrive early and on time, polities, respectful, smile and be happy always, follow up with a thank you note.

Senior Finance Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank.

Interview

applied online and I got a phone call after about a month. I did not have much time to prepare because the interview was the following day. Afterwards, I was given the offer and invited to my duty station for a familiarisation tour (or so).

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult or unexpected. It was competency based. The pannel were very friendly and tried to make me feel at ease so I could answere the questions because I was a bit tense. I had to relate my skills and expereiences to the competencies of the position   Answer Question

Fund Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The World Bank in December 2014.

Interview

Went through two rounds of interviews. First round was rather brief about 20 mins. The interviewers (2 WB staffs) explained about the project and the position and they asked only two questions: why do you want to work for the project? and why do you want to work for this position? The second round of interview was longer and questions asked were rather general. The second round interview lasted about 45 mins and there were 3 panel members. Since I do not live in the US, the interviews were done by phone.

Young Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank (Washington, DC (US)) in December 2014.

Interview

The first round included an online application including a personal essay. Letters if recommendation were requested for the second round. The final round was an interview at Washington dc. It was a day long interview consisting of a technal panel interview and a team case study.

IT Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at The World Bank in November 2014.

Interview

Lengthy. Had a Skype interview that lasted 90 minutes. Discussed about background, skills, and how to react in professional situations related to the function. Focus was on specific areas of interest (IT outsourcing, data protection, information security). Not hard but detailed.

Interview Questions

• Protection and controls monitoring of outsourced IT services.   Answer Question