The World Bank

Getting the Interview

79 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Health Economist Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at The World Bank in July 2012.

Interview Details Applied online. The process took no more than six month since the moment I applied. I enjoyed the experience.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty much in line with my expectations   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank in December 2013.

Interview Details The interviewers we not prepared what to ask. And they were asking each other to ask the next questions and laughing to each other. This looks like a joke for them and don't realize that's a future for the candidate.

Program Officer Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank in September 2012.

Interview Details It took a few months after I send my resume to get an interview. I first had a phone interview, then a second, in person, with the whole team. The interviews where well run, professional and gave me a clear sense of the expectations and the team. There was a good degree of sincere warnings about the position and the program, and the risks involved.

Interview Question – I did not expect questions on my personal network.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate much. I did not know they could have offered more, and should have offered me some compensation/expenses coverage for the relocation to DC.

Economist Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details Panel of 3 or 4 people, ask u questions on broad topics ( can be anything), so prepare to have broad knowledge and try to use commnsense

Interview Question – none really.. Standard stuff   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little bargaining power. HR obfuscates, obstructs and generally tries to get u on the cheap... Another offer from another place may help you better

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details 3 weeks from applying to getting an interview

Interview Question – They were all as expected. Sometimes abrasive but nothing too harsh.   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details short interview

Interview Question – questions were professional ones and quite straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not really

Very Difficult Interview

Department Head Interview Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details Applied online. About 2 months later, I get an email to come to the office for a 45 min panel interview in about 1 month (this was over the holidays)

I showed up thinking this was an initial screening or something similar, because there was no phone screen and this interview was so short. I walk into the interview room and there are 12 people there from various departments (IT, Finance, Legal, etc). The conference room was a long narrow one, so I entered on one end and had to squeeze my way to the opposite end to get to my seat.

Over the next 45 min, I was peppered with questions from most of the 12. The one thing I found interesting was that the interview focused on 2 bullet points of the lengthy job description.

I got a note a couple of weeks later saying they went with another candidate.

Everyone was very friendly and professional. It was just very different than anything I had experienced before.

Interview Question – I can't even remember. Questions were flying at me fairly quickly.   Answer Question

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview Interview

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied through the consulting website and interviewed within two weeks of submitting my application.The questions were around a case study that was required prior to interviewing. None of the questions were unexpected or difficult. I moved to the second interview which was more about the real project, my experience in the field and value proposition, and some problem solving questions.

Interview Question – they were all straight forward   Answer Question

Economist Consultant Interview

Interviewed at The World Bank

Interview Details Three rounds of interview. First in person, then another round in person, and then over the phone.

Interview Question – Not really any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I was not used to that. Maybe I should have though.

Short-term Consultant (STC) Interview

Short-term Consultant (STC)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The World Bank.

Interview Details Asked about my educational background and professional experience directly related to the project. Other questions are technical skills related to the project and knowledge of the field. Some behavioral questions relating to the characteristics of the department were also asked.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are expected.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The World Bank

Worked for The World Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The World Bank interview questions and advice. All 79 interview reviews are posted anonymously by The World Bank employees and interview candidates.