The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated 18 Apr 2015

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Zappos fly the intern candidate go Vegas for a two-day on-site interview. There are 3 rounds: a technical challenge round that I was asked to code on my own laptop, an interview with HR about behavior and motivation questions, and a technical round that I was asked to code on white board to solve algorithm problems.

Interview Questions

• Longest palindrome that is a substring of a given string   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

the video interview which includes self introduction, the basic skills for user research, and some questions about your trait. Since it is an interview that just like a Video record and you should response it in one minute, I just feel nervous for that

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV (US)).

Interview

The initial round is on hackerRank, where you have to code in your desired language and also additional virtual interview where you have to record answers, it is behavioral based and they really filter people based on those videos, to test if you would fit in their culture.

Interview Questions

• Q. after you clear those rounds, you get a ticket to Vegas!! YES and oh boyyy... it is fun.. after playing games touring the office and an open BAR!! they take another coding round where there are easy questions if you did the HackerRank test on your own! and then next day two rounds of interview, one is technical and other HR. in technical expect basic questions with some white board coding and you really have to crack the behavioral to get into Zappos. It is a fun experience, network and talk to everyone out there, coz that is all they call you there for ....   Answer Question

User Experience Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

I submitted the online video interview and was notified about a month later that I got an in-person interview in Las Vegas. They flew me and a bunch of other intern candidates out for 2 days of touring and interviewing. We met with our prospective teams and really got to know the company and the culture. I had a role interview and a culture interview. Everyone was really nice.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Applied online, so many "fun" in e-mails and so on, I paid a lot of attention to this process and completed as for me great challenge work (Idea Paper Work) for them. But no in person interview offered. Actually can't guess why my application did not processed further, while during the other interview with another Companies, at this time I can understand my weaknesses

Interview Questions

• What would you bring with you on abandoned island?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family (Las Vegas, NV (US)).

Interview

There are several rounds of interviews in hiring processs.

First they asked me to write a small application. That primarily involved to build some logic for identifying all the combinations satisfying a given condition, and had to use Rest Api along with downloading images.

Then there was a telephone interview for an hour. Questions were very simple and focused on object modelling, basic java and sql. They also asked me to explain about my project. Asked me to explain about any important decision I took in the project.

This was followed by an onsite interview. I was asked to travel to Vegas for the interview. They will plan your travel verywell.

Onsite interview was very long. It started at 8:30 am and went till 5pm. Frankly I felt it was very long with several rounds. But I believe the hiring process is one of best ones I ever had. I gives you sense what they r looking for and gives you an idea how people are at Zappos.

Here is how my whole day at Zappos went. For first one hour they gave the tour of the company, showed us different departments. It was quite useful to know work culture at the company.

After that I had four technical and one HR(behaviorial) rounds. In two rounds they asked me to write algorithms like reverse a linked list, tree traversing algorthms, permutation and combination algorthms. They asked additional questions like time complexity and write alternate algorithms. You may also have to discuss about performance of what you write.

Second one was coding challenge, they asked me to write code to implement Lift. They give you one hour of time and would expect you it to run.

Third round lasted for 2 hours in which they focus on how you model and design applications. They give many applications, tweet it in different ways and ask you how would you design the system for each of them. I felt it very interesting but I felt it verylong.

HR asked many questions to see if your fit to the company work culture. It was of different kind n cool

Interview Questions

• HR asked many interesting questions. like which super hero do you like and why?   Answer Question
    • why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • How are you different from others and make you unique?   Answer Question
    • what do you do in free times?   Answer Question
    • what movies did you watch in recent times? this was a followup question to previous question.   Answer Question
    • Did you ever suggest any thing to upper management to deal with any of the company or project level problem?   Answer Question

Offer was just OK when compared to what I am getting so don't want to change.

But I still recommend Zappos. It would be fun to work there. They give you good relocation package, joining bonus. Also don't forget it's a tax free state. Just evaluate if Vegas is a right place for you before going to interview. Not all may like the place.

CLT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in March 2015.

Interview

I joined the insiders on 2/17 and was contacted by 3/5 to apply for the position. On 3/7 I was sent an email to completed the Zappos Family Application, the Scheduling information questionnaire and then to do a video interview. The email detailed their pay structure, $11 to start and then $13 once trained and asked that you respond only if you are ok with that.
    I think I did well with everything until I got to the video interview. Crashed and burned. I was very nervous to start with and then answered the first question incorrectly. I didn't realize until I was preparing for the second question - when that question came up I totally blanked and could not answer it. I knew I was done for and just wanted to finish. The first question was about good customer service I had received and why it was good. I didn't read it closely enough and gave an example of good service I had given. The second question was about their core values and I could not even think of just one. Understandably, I got an email the following week telling me I could reapply in 6 months. I believe I will be reapplying, if for no other reason than to prove to myself that I am worthy!

I liked the interview process. It was unlike anything I have ever experienced and I did enjoy the challenge. I wish I had seen the reviews here prior to crashing and burning though. :)

Interview Questions

• Give 3 reasons why you want to work for Zappos and address your answer to the CEO of the company. (There is a character limit!)   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

Was given a challenge, in which we were just to outline an attack process, no proof of concept. After that we were required to complete an virtual interview (about 9 questions, 4 behavioral and 5 tech).

Interview Questions

• Describe any conficts you had in a team, what would you bring to a desrted island   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

A project asking you to poke around a data set and find any pattern that may make sense to you. The data set is not too large. and a virtual interview asking 9 questions including behavior and basic techniques. You will record a video under its system and you can record it twice.

Android Development Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family.

Interview

There is a code challenge to write a simple android weather app, you can use any weather api.
    virtual interview is easy questions to know about you, nothing technical.
    You will have one week to submit virtual interview and code challenge.
    if they chose you as final list, they will assist you to fly to Las Vegas for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• what are two things you are going to pack if you will be in a desert?
      What did you do when you get negative feedbacks from your boss or professor?

Answer Question