The Zappos Family Interview Questions

Updated 21 Oct 2014
Updated 21 Oct 2014

Outlet Operations Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Very cool process. The company gets to know personally and professionally taking the non-traditional approach. You're welcomed to be yourself, which lows the tension and nervousness during the interview.

Seasonal Customer Loyalty Team Member Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Note that this is what I went through for their 2013 season, might be different this year. The process begins at your temp agency and any prerequisite testing they might need. Afterwards you are set up to record and send an online interview. You're recorded on webcam, asked questions and given a time limit to answer. You can't redo the question, but you are in control of when the time limit counts down and are given a "practice round" you can watch beforehand. If you make it from there, you take a "speed interview" alongside other prospective employees that works similar to speed-dating. You sit down at a long table and answer questions from an interviewer for a few minutes then shuffle to a different one. If your interviewer finishes their list of questions before the time is up they'll try to make small talk which is almost a question itself. They're looking for how you interact on a personal level, personality and individuality is a big selling point. Get pass that and you're all done with only training left.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when an irate customer is asking for something that clearly goes against policy?   View Answer

Quality Assurance Website Team Lead Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

I applied online through Zappos Website.Recruiter contacted me and scheduled for Telephonic Interview.Technical recruiter called and discussed about the job and my experiences mentioned in the resume.I was informed that my resume will be recommended for the next level of technical interview.One week later i got email telling i am not considered further .

Product Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family in September 2014.

Multiple phone interviews with recruiter and department managers as well as an "exercise" supposedly designed to determine your quality of work as a product manager. If you pass the "exercise," the next step is an all day in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The "exercise" was about entering a market, not about analyzing products and system processes. They expected market research rather than system analysis. This is atypical of what's expected of a tech product manager.   Answer Question

Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

My interview process was around 5 months long, and I engaged in about 5 interviews during this period. All of them went well until the last one, when the person I was speaking with on the telephone seemed to be walking somewhere during the entire interview. She seemed out of breath during most of the call and was totally not engaged in our discussion. A few times, she actually asked me to hold on so she could speak with someone else that was in her presence. In general, it was an interesting experience, and all those I dealt with were very nice and respectful, except for the last person, who clearly had better things to do than interview me. Given the amount of time I spent on the entire process, and that I had progressively advanced to the next step with each interview, to be treated the way I was in the final interview was completely unprofessional and disrespectful at best. Like I said though, all my prior interviewers were wonderful, so keep that in mind when you read about my experience. If you can manage to avoid that one person (and any others like her), it seemed like a good company and an alright opportunity if Vegas is where you want to be.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers (the bad one) asked about my family and implied that Vegas probably isn't a good option for me. It was a bit shocking.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Applied online, got an email scheduling a Skype interview with me the following week. The Skype interview was with HR, and it went really well. It was basic stuff asking me about my education, knowledge of the particular position's skills, etc. I was then told that they wanted me to speak to two members of the Marketing department. I spoke with them later that week. It was very relaxed and comfortable for me. We discussed the position, Las Vegas, team building, etc. The seemed very impressed with my knowledge of Zappos culture, so study up!

CLT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied for the CLT position right before Zappos changed their hiring practices. A friend of a friend sent me a text to tell me the link was up, and I applied online as quickly as possible. The link was gone 30 minutes after I heard about it! Within a few days I got an e-mail informing me that the first step in the process was for me to take two different online assessments. One was a typing test. I think you only had to be able to type 20 wpm. The second test was a grammar assessment. Both were simple and straight forward. The day after I'd taken the tests I got another e-mail letting me know I'd passed. The next step was a face to face interview! I interviewed with two different ladies. One did the "Culture" interview and the other did the "Technical" interview. My culture interview was a normal kind of job interview with a few "Zappos" type of questions. That lasted about 45 minutes. I wold definitely say remember to do your homework on the company before you go! Then it was on to the technical interview. That took place in a small room with a computer. She would give me scenarios and then watch as I used the Zappos website (or google) to find what the customer was looking for. It seemed like they were just checking to make sure you had a general understanding of how to work the internet! :) She also asked me some "What would you do" type of questions related to helping an escalated customer call. (Like a family going on vacation who didn't get their new shoes in time). I have a few friends. Then my interview was over and I was told they would be deciding within the week. I left the interview and went to a movie. When I got out I had an e-mail telling me I'd made it to the next step. The position was mine as long as I passed their employment verification and background checks. That process took about one week. After that I got a call officially offering me the position!

Interview Questions
    • Knowing what you know about Zappos Core Values, if you had to help me plan a fun themed event, what kind of event would it be?

In your previous jobs name a situation where you had an idea that was not well received by your fellow employees.
        Answer Question

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Extensive. Application, video cover letter, Merchandising challenge, online interview, flew out to company to interview with specific teams (it varied, but I had 5) and a culture interview with HR.

Interview Questions
    • If you stuck on an island and you had to pick two items to have with you...   View Answer
    Do it! It's a great experience and you will not regret it.

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

I applied to the job. A few days later, I was contacted and asked to fill out some more questions (think resume) and then some fun "personality" questions, like what would your life theme song be and who is your favorite super hero. After I passed that, I had to do an Excel challenge that was quite easy. Passed that. Had my technical interview - it didn't go that well. The interviewer wasn't good - she barely had anything to say and really didn't seem to be paying attention or care at all about what I had to say. Was denied two days later. The sad thing is, I had all the qualifications and it's an entry-level position, but I was told people were more qualified - well of course there are better qualified applicants. There always are. Sad I never even got the chance for the culture interview because skills can be learned - personality can't be changed.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Zappos Family.

Emphasis is on cultural fit so please be yourself as they value individuality. Overall interview process took 4 months with an online interview, video interview, several phone interviews and an onsite interview. Interviewers were polite, spunky and asked a lot of questions that revolve around technical experience as well as your work style. Best advice is to be prepared and be yourself.