Towers Watson Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014
Updated 28 Oct 2014

2.9

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Towers Watson.

online application with standard questions requiring business knowledge and motivations for applying as well as personal details. then online tests. called for first round telephone interview which was all competency based standard qs like why TW why investment and how you keep up with the news. next was the assessment centre in London offices. had group exercise, one on one interview, presentation on a topic given beforehand plus a role play exercise. contacted within 48 hours by HR

Interview Questions
    • technical presentation on a topic they give you before the interview, then asked questions on what you say   Answer Question
    not a great salary compared to banking internships

Actuarial Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Towers Watson.

Applied online and got a telephone interview around a week later. They asked 3 competency based questions, and then a couple of fit questions. Seemed like a pretty standard competency telephone interview, and the interviewer was kind and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to build a relationship with someone over a long period of time   Answer Question

Employee Survey Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Towers Watson.

Three rounds of assessment. Initial telephone interview with Graduate Recruitment. Assessment centre with 10 other candidates followed by a final day of interviews with the main team. I was surprised at how long it took to hear back from recruitment after the final round. I was finally offered a position almost three weeks after the final interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you work out the number of people that cross the English channel everyday?   Answer Question
    What negotiation phase? I was glad to have a job before leaving university.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Towers Watson in June 2014.

first interview by a recruiter, then an interview with two seniors in quant department, a practical test at home, a final interview with the same two seniors in quant department

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reigate, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reigate, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Towers Watson in April 2014.

First, I had an interview with the HR. she asked me questions about my CV and my interest in the company. Then I received a coding challenge which I had to solve. After returning the solution I was invited to an assessment center. There I was asked questions over my solution, about coding practices and courses that I have taken. In the end I had to make a presentation about new technology(mobile, cloud, or other you decide and have to prepare in advance) that could be used in the company

Interview Questions
    • The coding problem was specific to their area(insurance) but you didn't need any previous knowledge in insurance in order to do it.   Answer Question

Talent & Rewards Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Towers Watson in February 2014.

I applied for the 2014 Summer Talent & Rewards Internship in London, after submitting my application (with 2-3 extra motivational questions) in November I heard back promptly and had to do a standard SHL numerical reasoning and inductive reasoning aptitude test. Not too long after, I was scheduled for a first round competency based phone interview- this was pretty standard and the main questions asked were the same for everyone I know who also underwent the interview (these can be found online on wikijob forums) after a couple of days I received an email saying that I was successful in the first round of interviews but that further consideration and selection would be needed for the Assessment Centres (final round). This process actually took more than a month from December to February where I received updates that they were still deciding. Finally in early Feb I was invited to an Assessment Centre which I was told would be the last AC they would hold unless we failed to fill the remaining positions. The AC itself assessed both Graduates and Interns in the exact same manner in fact in my group discussion I was the only intern candidate with 2 graduate candidates as one of the candidates could not make it. We had to rank 10 innovations in the way they affected our lives and there were some extra questions after. We also had a written exercise which was extremely difficult due to the technical nature of it and the time constraints. Finally we also had 2 interviews one competency one problem solving based which were not too difficult if you were knowledgeable and prepared. Overall the process was alright, my only complaint was the huge wait and lull between Dec-Feb where it was highly uncertain whether I would even hear back at all and whether I was still under consideration.

Interview Questions
    I didn't try to negotiate

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Towers Watson in January 2014.

After CV screening, went to an interview in London. Asked questions about CV and why you want to apply, why this role, etc.
    After the interview, went to the AC in Surrey.
    All questions are motivational and about your CV.
    Don't need any tech experience.

Interview Questions
    • What happens when you have a project but it's almost deadline?   Answer Question

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Towers Watson in November 2013.

Initially, filled in the online application. After a while I was asked to do the online numerical test and was given 2 days to do it from the email date. Pretty much straight after that got invited to sit the Inductive Reasoning Test. Then in a couple of days got invited for the telephone interview which I, unfortunately, failed. The whole process from the initial application to the invitation for the interview was very quick unlike other companies, took about a week in total.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were as follows and as far as I know they don't change over time (but still do prepare for something unexpected):
      1. Give an example of when you had to build a relationship with someone
      2. Give an example of when you have led a team to success
      3. Give an example of when you showed initiative to improve a process
      4. Why do you want to work for Towers Watson?
      5. Why have you applied to this role?
      6. Do you know which qualifications you can study for at TW?

And be prepared to elaborate on the above mentioned questions, e.g. what have you learnt from this experience?
        Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Towers Watson in November 2013.

After submitting my online application, was contacted within a week for a phone interview. Phone interview consisted of basic fit questions, with no technical questions asked. Lasted about half an hour. Received an email about a week later inviting me to final round interviews at the London office.

Final round was an assessment centre. It started with a senior employee talking to us about the firm and telling us more about Investment Consulting. This was followed by a written exercise based on Towers Watson research papers we had been asked to read prior to the interview, and a fit interview with a manager/senior employee. There was also a group exercise where we were supposed to rank the most important inventions in human history.

Lastly, there was a 10-minute presentation on our recommendations for a pension fund regarding it increasing or decreasing its exposure to emerging market debt and equities. Got asked a range of questions by my interviewer about the presentation, ranging from "What is QE" to more difficult questions about the various asset classes.

Overall the assessment centre wasn't extremely difficult- the presentation was the most challenging aspect. My biggest complaint was the lack of constructive feedback provided by HR, a view which almost all of the other candidates at the assessment centre shared. HR went on for minutes about how my "presentation delivery could have had more impact" though I excelled in all other areas, which struck me as a rather contrived reason. Constructive feedback would have let us understand why we didn't get an offer and helped me in other interviews, so I wish they would have put in a lot more effort on that.

Interview Questions
    • Why should a pension fund increase its exposure to emerging market (hard currency) debt?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Towers Watson in May 2013.

Approached for a .NET developer position by a recruiter who scheduled a phone interview. It was a 30 min interview with questions about my professional background and my salary expectations.

I got a call from the recruiter 1 hour later in order to proceed to the next phase of the process in which I was asked to develop an application that implements a mathematical algorithm to execute some financial mathematical calculations.