Toys ''R'' Us

Average Difficulty
470 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Birmingham, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

Interview Details It was a group interview and there was 9 of us (meant to be 10 but one didnt turn up). We went with one of the managers called shaun who was really nice and we all went into a room and sat in a circle. There was a pen and paper provided and the first task was to just say your name to the group. Then we had to introduce the person sat next to us after 5 minutes of asking questions on what they enjoy doing etc etc. The second task was selling a product, there was an array of toys on the desk and we all picked one up and then had 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to sell it. One by one we tried to sell the product, I thought this would be difficult but I actually enjoyed it. Then the last part was a debate, he split the room in half and we debated football players salary in groups. The debate was testing team work and listening skills. Then we all went into a different room so we could have a drink and they called us in one by one to discuss our applications. They offered me a trial the next week along with 3 other interviewees who I saw written down. The interview was really fun and has given me loads of confidence I didnt know I had.

Part Time Associate Interview

Part Time Associate

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details A group interview. Interviewees asked to; sell a toy, produce a poster planning an event and a numerical and organising exam. Then a one to one interview asking questions of your experience and reviewing your CV.

Interview Question – Sell this toy.   Answer Question

Xmas Sales Assistant Interview

Xmas Sales Assistant
Sheffield, England

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied via application form online and passed it into store at the customer service desk on a Friday, I was called on the Sunday to go in on the Monday for a Star Search, which is what they call their interview process. It turned out to be a group thing, which I suspected as I'd read online about them.

First we had to do an ice breaker, the usual "talk to the person next to you and find out about them and an interesting fact and present them to the group" thing. Easy really just talk and ask questions!

Next we were split into half, there were 10 of us so 5 on each side and they gave us topics to discuss. Our topics were "The internet should be banned" one half for banning it one half against, and "customer service is the most important reason customers come to the store" same things, one agrees one disagrees. They also had a topic of "footballers are paid too much" but we didn't discuss that one. They're more interested in how you put yourself across and how you work together than the actual topic.

Next was the Toy presentation, I'd read this online and saw the toys in the corner so mentally picked the one I wanted. We had to sell it to the group, basically just reading the box out and the pros of the product. Don't forget to mention whether it needs batteries or not!

Then they had said at one point "if we keep you behind it's because we think you'll be a good cashier and we want to test your skills" but really they just kept behind people they wanted to interview. It wasn't really an interview though they just asked us our availability.

If you pass that they call you in to go in for a second stage interview for an hour, this time you go on the shop floor, a bit on the tills to bag items, a bit to greet customers at the door and a bit going around the shop floor talking to customers.

Interview Question – We weren't really asked any questions like a normal interview just the group things then questions about availability   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations but they are very good at fitting hours around a current job if you tell them

Buying Administrative Assistant Interview

Buying Administrative Assistant
Maidenhead, England

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Interview Details Online application and then offered a first face to face interview.

This went well then offered a second interview with another buying Manager. Did not get an offer and there was very poor feedback as to why.

Interview Question – Mostly typical standard interview questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2011.

Interview Details One week after applying, I received a phone call to come in for a group interview. At the group interview, they asked a series of questions to each person. Ex. "What is your favorite childhood toy?" Afterwards, they took each person individually into the office for a one-on-one interview.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Hours were too sparse.

Very Easy Interview

Distribution Manager Interview

Distribution Manager
Flanders, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2010.

Interview Details fairly easy just met with ops and GM went over my experience in my past and what they do there, Wasn't bad at all it was pretty easy actually. The manager just seemed in a rush but nothing too out of ordinary warehouse experience

Interview Question – Pretty straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

Cashier/Sales Team Member
Colonie, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in April 2014.

Interview Details Really simple one on one interview with the HR person. I was offered the job at the end of it. Questions were all the expected; "Give an example of a time you recognized a fellow worker for excelling at something", "explain a time when you worked as a team player", "if a customer needed assistance, there was a spill, and the front was calling for backup cashiers which would you attend to first?"

Interview Question – I don't really remember any of them being too difficult. You're allowed to pass on a certain number of questions anyway   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Buckhead, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

Interview Details took a bit long
various activities
sale a item via commercial
sale an item to the manager
introduce another interviewee
introduce yourself
spend time on the floor
mingle with other employees
overall a good interview
was a group interview
group of 5

Interview Question – No questions Asked , but hyping up another candidate interviewing for the same job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Availability, personality

Sales Team Member Interview

Sales Team Member

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details There was one other person who was also applying there. We first had to build a Lego structure and then we had to name. Then we had to pick a toy and market it. Then, we each had a 1 on 1 interview and that was the conclusion of the interview.

Interview Question – Who is the most demanding person you know and how do you meet their needs?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Gaithersburg, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details Consisted of a phone interview, and a single face to face with district manager. Very Pand L related. A lot of situational questions and scenarios. No store tour, taken right to office for 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Question – Talked a lot about quality of life, but questions led back to benefits for the company, rather than the individual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Met my salary requirements without question.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!