Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions

2.3

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

Okay so the interview took place a few days ago. I got there too early so ended up roaming around the store for a while. Eventually we were taken upstairs to a lunch room of sorts and asked to wait. As the group was pretty big (18 or so altogether), we were split into two.

The interviewer took us to another room where she spoke a bit about the company and about what they wanted from us as employees. We were then paired up and was given two minutes to get to know our partner then relay that information back to the group. Pretty simple.

We then were separated again into groups of three and were given ten minutes to come up with a poster (minds blank on what it was for) but the activity again was pretty straight forward. Afterwards we had to present it to the group as a team.

And finally we were asked to grab a toy from the table and try and sell it to the group. That was the worst past for me because I suddenly got really nervous but powered through anyway.

Once that was over we were all taken into the lunch room again and asked to wait while they interviewed us one by one. I was a little nervous here because I read on this site the the first ones to be called were likely to be dismissed/not get the job and I was called in second.

The interview itself was really brief and she just over little details from my application form and CV. She also asked who from the group do I feel should get a job (myself excluded). The one-on-one lasted no more than ten minutes and that was it.

I was pretty down because I thought I blew it during the 'selling toy' section but the next day I got a call asking to come in for a trial.

Fast forward a couple of days and I was back in the lunch room waiting with three other people who I'd seen during the group interview. We were given a t-shirt and assigned a section to work in for fifteen minutes or so. After half an hour of working on the shop floor we were taken back into a room and told straight up that we all got the job!

That was today. Waiting to hear from them with my starting date. Hope this helps someone.

Interview Questions
    • Who from the group do you feel deserves this position?   Answer Question

Temporary Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied in-person – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

Group interview with around 13 people in the group. You were asked to get to know the person beside you & then report back to the group. You then were given a topic and had to engage in a group discussion whilst the interviewers looked on. Lastly, there is a toy under your seat & you have to look at it, understand it & then report back to the group, attempting to sell the toy back to them.

I thought I did everything well but unfortunately got a rejection letter about a week later. There were so many applicants, so this was to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • It was a group interview so just report back to us a little bit about the person next to you.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

It was a group interview and there was 9 of us (meant to be 10 but one didnt turn up). We went with one of the managers called shaun who was really nice and we all went into a room and sat in a circle. There was a pen and paper provided and the first task was to just say your name to the group. Then we had to introduce the person sat next to us after 5 minutes of asking questions on what they enjoy doing etc etc. The second task was selling a product, there was an array of toys on the desk and we all picked one up and then had 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to sell it. One by one we tried to sell the product, I thought this would be difficult but I actually enjoyed it. Then the last part was a debate, he split the room in half and we debated football players salary in groups. The debate was testing team work and listening skills. Then we all went into a different room so we could have a drink and they called us in one by one to discuss our applications. They offered me a trial the next week along with 3 other interviewees who I saw written down. The interview was really fun and has given me loads of confidence I didnt know I had.

Part Time Associate Interview

A group interview. Interviewees asked to; sell a toy, produce a poster planning an event and a numerical and organising exam. Then a one to one interview asking questions of your experience and reviewing your CV.

Xmas Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

I applied via application form online and passed it into store at the customer service desk on a Friday, I was called on the Sunday to go in on the Monday for a Star Search, which is what they call their interview process. It turned out to be a group thing, which I suspected as I'd read online about them.

First we had to do an ice breaker, the usual "talk to the person next to you and find out about them and an interesting fact and present them to the group" thing. Easy really just talk and ask questions!

Next we were split into half, there were 10 of us so 5 on each side and they gave us topics to discuss. Our topics were "The internet should be banned" one half for banning it one half against, and "customer service is the most important reason customers come to the store" same things, one agrees one disagrees. They also had a topic of "footballers are paid too much" but we didn't discuss that one. They're more interested in how you put yourself across and how you work together than the actual topic.

Next was the Toy presentation, I'd read this online and saw the toys in the corner so mentally picked the one I wanted. We had to sell it to the group, basically just reading the box out and the pros of the product. Don't forget to mention whether it needs batteries or not!

Then they had said at one point "if we keep you behind it's because we think you'll be a good cashier and we want to test your skills" but really they just kept behind people they wanted to interview. It wasn't really an interview though they just asked us our availability.

If you pass that they call you in to go in for a second stage interview for an hour, this time you go on the shop floor, a bit on the tills to bag items, a bit to greet customers at the door and a bit going around the shop floor talking to customers.

Interview Questions
    • We weren't really asked any questions like a normal interview just the group things then questions about availability   Answer Question
    No negotiations but they are very good at fitting hours around a current job if you tell them

Buying Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Online application and then offered a first face to face interview.

This went well then offered a second interview with another buying Manager. Did not get an offer and there was very poor feedback as to why.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Called in for an interview. Sent an email informing you of what to expect, among things were that it is a group setting, with various activities to get to know you and how you interact with other people. Then on to one on one interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • What was one thing you recommended to someone recently, and did they accept your recommendation?   Answer Question

Costumer Service Interview

It was the easiest interview I have ever gone to. Its a group interview so you do it with like 3 other people they ask you really easy questions. They told me to pick out a toy and talk about it and to introduce myself. if you mumble and arent very talkative they send you home on the spot

Overnight Stock Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

The interview took place at 12:30. There were about 7 to 8 people there. First thing we did was build Legos together. Then we introduced ourselves to the group. Then we had to pick a toy out of the cart and sell it to the managers present. Afterwords we had a one-on-one interview with the managers, it really wasn't anything formal, they just told us about the job and they well call you regardless if you get the job or not.

Interview Questions
    • Both introducing yourself and selling a toy as well as working together to build Legos is kind of the questions   View Answer
    There was none, I get paid $8.25 an hour sometimes $10 if I'm working overnight.

Store Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I put in my resume to Toys R Us and a months later I got called up for a group interview. I was really nervous, as it was my first interview, but it wasn't scary at all.
    There were 10 of at the interview. All we did was introduce ourselves, explain why we want to work there and go over the basic rules. I would recommend knowing what Toys R Us stands for and their basic beliefs.

Interview Questions
    • We needed to chose an item from a table and "sell" it to another interviewee in front of everybody.   Answer Question