Toys ''R'' Us

2.3

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2014.

Okay so the interview took place a few days ago. I got there too early so ended up roaming around the store for a while. Eventually we were taken upstairs to a lunch room of sorts and asked to wait. As the group was pretty big (18 or so altogether), we were split into two.

The interviewer took us to another room where she spoke a bit about the company and about what they wanted from us as employees. We were then paired up and was given two minutes to get to know our partner then relay that information back to the group. Pretty simple.

We then were separated again into groups of three and were given ten minutes to come up with a poster (minds blank on what it was for) but the activity again was pretty straight forward. Afterwards we had to present it to the group as a team.

And finally we were asked to grab a toy from the table and try and sell it to the group. That was the worst past for me because I suddenly got really nervous but powered through anyway.

Once that was over we were all taken into the lunch room again and asked to wait while they interviewed us one by one. I was a little nervous here because I read on this site the the first ones to be called were likely to be dismissed/not get the job and I was called in second.

The interview itself was really brief and she just over little details from my application form and CV. She also asked who from the group do I feel should get a job (myself excluded). The one-on-one lasted no more than ten minutes and that was it.

I was pretty down because I thought I blew it during the 'selling toy' section but the next day I got a call asking to come in for a trial.

Fast forward a couple of days and I was back in the lunch room waiting with three other people who I'd seen during the group interview. We were given a t-shirt and assigned a section to work in for fifteen minutes or so. After half an hour of working on the shop floor we were taken back into a room and told straight up that we all got the job!

That was today. Waiting to hear from them with my starting date. Hope this helps someone.

Interview Questions
    • Who from the group do you feel deserves this position?   Answer Question

Temporary Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied in-person – interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

Group interview with around 13 people in the group. You were asked to get to know the person beside you & then report back to the group. You then were given a topic and had to engage in a group discussion whilst the interviewers looked on. Lastly, there is a toy under your seat & you have to look at it, understand it & then report back to the group, attempting to sell the toy back to them.

I thought I did everything well but unfortunately got a rejection letter about a week later. There were so many applicants, so this was to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • It was a group interview so just report back to us a little bit about the person next to you.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

It was a group interview and there was 9 of us (meant to be 10 but one didnt turn up). We went with one of the managers called shaun who was really nice and we all went into a room and sat in a circle. There was a pen and paper provided and the first task was to just say your name to the group. Then we had to introduce the person sat next to us after 5 minutes of asking questions on what they enjoy doing etc etc. The second task was selling a product, there was an array of toys on the desk and we all picked one up and then had 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to sell it. One by one we tried to sell the product, I thought this would be difficult but I actually enjoyed it. Then the last part was a debate, he split the room in half and we debated football players salary in groups. The debate was testing team work and listening skills. Then we all went into a different room so we could have a drink and they called us in one by one to discuss our applications. They offered me a trial the next week along with 3 other interviewees who I saw written down. The interview was really fun and has given me loads of confidence I didnt know I had.

Part Time Associate Interview

A group interview. Interviewees asked to; sell a toy, produce a poster planning an event and a numerical and organising exam. Then a one to one interview asking questions of your experience and reviewing your CV.

Xmas Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

I applied via application form online and passed it into store at the customer service desk on a Friday, I was called on the Sunday to go in on the Monday for a Star Search, which is what they call their interview process. It turned out to be a group thing, which I suspected as I'd read online about them.

First we had to do an ice breaker, the usual "talk to the person next to you and find out about them and an interesting fact and present them to the group" thing. Easy really just talk and ask questions!

Next we were split into half, there were 10 of us so 5 on each side and they gave us topics to discuss. Our topics were "The internet should be banned" one half for banning it one half against, and "customer service is the most important reason customers come to the store" same things, one agrees one disagrees. They also had a topic of "footballers are paid too much" but we didn't discuss that one. They're more interested in how you put yourself across and how you work together than the actual topic.

Next was the Toy presentation, I'd read this online and saw the toys in the corner so mentally picked the one I wanted. We had to sell it to the group, basically just reading the box out and the pros of the product. Don't forget to mention whether it needs batteries or not!

Then they had said at one point "if we keep you behind it's because we think you'll be a good cashier and we want to test your skills" but really they just kept behind people they wanted to interview. It wasn't really an interview though they just asked us our availability.

If you pass that they call you in to go in for a second stage interview for an hour, this time you go on the shop floor, a bit on the tills to bag items, a bit to greet customers at the door and a bit going around the shop floor talking to customers.

Interview Questions
    • We weren't really asked any questions like a normal interview just the group things then questions about availability   Answer Question
    No negotiations but they are very good at fitting hours around a current job if you tell them

Buying Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Online application and then offered a first face to face interview.

This went well then offered a second interview with another buying Manager. Did not get an offer and there was very poor feedback as to why.

Back of House Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Easy interview for part time position around the Christmas season. Had a quick tour of the store to learn where and what there was for products. A few days later I was in for orientation and training.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied for the job online and about 4 days later I got a call for a group interview. The group was huge. There was about 15 of us. The manager and assistan manager both interviewed us. The manager was the observer and the assistant was the one talking to us.

The first thing they made us do, after everyone arrived, was to find a toy from the store. When everyone came back all of us took turns selling it to the assisstand manager. She was really niced and helped us through it. When you are selling a toy, you need to bring up the specs and how it will benefit the child. To stand out more, know what their buyer protection program is, their rewards card, and their credit card. Also always suggest to the customer to buy the toys r us brand batteries.

The second part of the interview was one-to-one with the managers. When I went in they just asked my availability and told me that if my background check came through they would call back with a formal proposal.

I got a call back three days later and they hired me.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. All they asked us to do was sell something. So practice your selling skills.   Answer Question
    No negotiation and wage was set at $7.75/hour

Sales Floor Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

I applied online and got a call about a week later to go in for an interview for the part-time seasonal position. I was pretty excited considering it was my first job. I went in for a group interview with 9 other people. We had to choose a cartoon character that represented us best and then choose a toy in the store pass it to the person next to us and try to sell it to the managers. Then we waited around for our individual interviews which was really quick. They pretty much only asked when we were available to work. Then they said they would call if we got the job and then they would send in our background check and that would take about a week to go through.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations.. Starting part-time $8.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

After filling out application online, a few weeks later i received a call for an interview. Once i arrived i found out it would be a group interview. It turned out to be a interactive activity where we had to put together blocks and make a Christmas image. FYI this was during the holiday season so it was a seasonal offer. Once finished with the activity, we did a sales advertisement. The hiring manager loved us all so much all 4 of us were hired.