Toys ''R'' Us

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Birmingham, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

Interview Details It was a group interview and there was 9 of us (meant to be 10 but one didnt turn up). We went with one of the managers called shaun who was really nice and we all went into a room and sat in a circle. There was a pen and paper provided and the first task was to just say your name to the group. Then we had to introduce the person sat next to us after 5 minutes of asking questions on what they enjoy doing etc etc. The second task was selling a product, there was an array of toys on the desk and we all picked one up and then had 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to sell it. One by one we tried to sell the product, I thought this would be difficult but I actually enjoyed it. Then the last part was a debate, he split the room in half and we debated football players salary in groups. The debate was testing team work and listening skills. Then we all went into a different room so we could have a drink and they called us in one by one to discuss our applications. They offered me a trial the next week along with 3 other interviewees who I saw written down. The interview was really fun and has given me loads of confidence I didnt know I had.

Part Time Associate Interview

Part Time Associate

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details A group interview. Interviewees asked to; sell a toy, produce a poster planning an event and a numerical and organising exam. Then a one to one interview asking questions of your experience and reviewing your CV.

Interview Question – Sell this toy.   Answer Question

Xmas Sales Assistant Interview

Xmas Sales Assistant
Sheffield, England

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied via application form online and passed it into store at the customer service desk on a Friday, I was called on the Sunday to go in on the Monday for a Star Search, which is what they call their interview process. It turned out to be a group thing, which I suspected as I'd read online about them.

First we had to do an ice breaker, the usual "talk to the person next to you and find out about them and an interesting fact and present them to the group" thing. Easy really just talk and ask questions!

Next we were split into half, there were 10 of us so 5 on each side and they gave us topics to discuss. Our topics were "The internet should be banned" one half for banning it one half against, and "customer service is the most important reason customers come to the store" same things, one agrees one disagrees. They also had a topic of "footballers are paid too much" but we didn't discuss that one. They're more interested in how you put yourself across and how you work together than the actual topic.

Next was the Toy presentation, I'd read this online and saw the toys in the corner so mentally picked the one I wanted. We had to sell it to the group, basically just reading the box out and the pros of the product. Don't forget to mention whether it needs batteries or not!

Then they had said at one point "if we keep you behind it's because we think you'll be a good cashier and we want to test your skills" but really they just kept behind people they wanted to interview. It wasn't really an interview though they just asked us our availability.

If you pass that they call you in to go in for a second stage interview for an hour, this time you go on the shop floor, a bit on the tills to bag items, a bit to greet customers at the door and a bit going around the shop floor talking to customers.

Interview Question – We weren't really asked any questions like a normal interview just the group things then questions about availability   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations but they are very good at fitting hours around a current job if you tell them

Buying Administrative Assistant Interview

Buying Administrative Assistant
Maidenhead, England

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Interview Details Online application and then offered a first face to face interview.

This went well then offered a second interview with another buying Manager. Did not get an offer and there was very poor feedback as to why.

Interview Question – Mostly typical standard interview questions   Answer Question

Sales Team Member Interview

Sales Team Member
New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

Interview Details I applied online on either Sunday or Monday. Got a call from the HR lady on Tuesday. Interview was Thursday. This was for the Times Square location.

There were 8 people there including myself. First we made name tags using an adjective that describes you. The adjective had to start with the same letter as your first name. So I suggest you go in knowing an adjective that you're going to use. We briefly introduced ourselves and explained why we picked that adjective.

After that, we were broken into 3 groups, and had to build a toy out of Legos. We also had to make up a company name, slogan, jingle, the name of the product, the age range, and a special feature. And I'm forgetting something else. We had twenty minutes to do all of this. Make sure that you are actively participating in the group, and that everyone gets a turn to present. It was a very relaxed and laid back environment. I am usually not the most talkative person in social situations, and if I was relaxed, you will be too.

Once everyone had presented, they had us pick an item that you brought with you, (could be anything - I picked Chapstick) and you had to try and sell it to them.

Out of eight people, seven got a 1:1 interview. One guy wore saggy jeans and a t-shirt and still got an interview. (I still don't recommend doing this.) I was first up, so I didn't have a lot of time to get super worked up and nervous. I think I did a lot worse on this part of the interview.

First an HR rep asked me some questions! briefly went outside, and then walked in another woman! head of a specific department. They said they thought I would be briefly suited for that position instead. The interview included questions like "tell me about yourself," "what would you do if this happened," "how long do you want to work here." I stumbled on some words, but I think I did a pretty good job answering their questions. She also gave me a job description and asked about my availability. The only part I didn't like was when the second woman asked me how old I am. I'm 17, but will be 18 in a week. She said, and I quote, "I wouldn't put you past two." Yes, I know I look young, but I definitely do not look two. 13, yeah. I thought that was a little rude of her. Anyway, she walked out and the first HR woman came in a minute afterwards. She told me that they will have to wait until I turn 18, then they can run a background check, and will call me once they do. I was offered the job.

Overall, the interview was very relaxed and informal. I wore black pants and a grey blouse.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation took place. They pay $8.50 and hour and I'm fine with that.

Off Hours Stock Crew Interview

Off Hours Stock Crew

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details Applied online and received an email stating they did not have a position for me later that week. 5 days later a hiring assistant phoned me and I regrettably missed the call. I promptly called back four minutes later when I realized the missed call. It took half an hour for somebody to answer their phone. I even hung up and double checked the voicemail to confirm I was to be calling the main store number. After waiting the lady had apparently already left for the day so I was asked for my number for HR to phone me in the morning or told to call. I called them back in the morning and after waiting was asked basic questions like would I accept min. wage. I agreed and she asked me to come in that day for the interview. We did the fun megablok group building exercise then the backroom manager talked to us about what the job required. This is when my interview process ended because despite submitting my availability on my application they needed open hours that I could not meet. Two other people in the group of four, in fact, were students like myself and did not have a schedule that met their needs. We were dismissed and the fourth stayed for a one on one.

Interview Question – No questions because it was not until I was there they acknowledge my availability.   Answer Question

Seasonal Interview

Seasonal

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details Its a group interview so theres like 10 other people in a small little room with you and you go around introducing each other then you have to sell toys to the person sitting next to you and then you have to get into a group and you have to build something out of knex. For that part make sure you are communicating and helping out because thats what they are looking for. AND another HUGE thing they look for is smiles.

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

Cashier/Sales Team Member

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details Very different-played a ice breaker name game & then had to sell the group a toy. Then had to wait a long time while they do one on one interviews

Interview Question – What is your availability?   Answer Question

Planogramer Interview

Planogramer

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details Their are three interviews, the first two can be on the phone or face to face. the last interview is face to face. On the third interview yoyo get a tour of the facility and you meet the people in the said department that you might be hired for. After the tour and a free lunch, you meet your managers/supervisors that you will be working for they do the third interview. If you are hired they will inform you in a couple of weeks, after that it takes a coupe of more weeks to send you a letter of employment. That letter will have your start date, that date will be discussed in the phone call that you get if you are hired. You start usually in the beginning of the quarter.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Toys R Us.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – We negotiated salary and start date.

Sales Team Member Interview

Sales Team Member
New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person and interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details Pretty straight forward questions. They pretty much hire any and everybody. Which can be a good or bad thing. You have to deal with the stupidity or incompetence of your peers.

Negotiation Details – Nothing

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!