Toys ''R'' Us

432 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Xmas Sales Assistant Interview

Sheffield, England

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

Interview Details I applied via application form online and passed it into store at the customer service desk on a Friday, I was called on the Sunday to go in on the Monday for a Star Search, which is what they call their interview process. It turned out to be a group thing, which I suspected as I'd read online about them.

First we had to do an ice breaker, the usual "talk to the person next to you and find out about them and an interesting fact and present them to the group" thing. Easy really just talk and ask questions!

Next we were split into half, there were 10 of us so 5 on each side and they gave us topics to discuss. Our topics were "The internet should be banned" one half for banning it one half against, and "customer service is the most important reason customers come to the store" same things, one agrees one disagrees. They also had a topic of "footballers are paid too much" but we didn't discuss that one. They're more interested in how you put yourself across and how you work together than the actual topic.

Next was the Toy presentation, I'd read this online and saw the toys in the corner so mentally picked the one I wanted. We had to sell it to the group, basically just reading the box out and the pros of the product. Don't forget to mention whether it needs batteries or not!

Then they had said at one point "if we keep you behind it's because we think you'll be a good cashier and we want to test your skills" but really they just kept behind people they wanted to interview. It wasn't really an interview though they just asked us our availability.

If you pass that they call you in to go in for a second stage interview for an hour, this time you go on the shop floor, a bit on the tills to bag items, a bit to greet customers at the door and a bit going around the shop floor talking to customers.

Interview Question – We weren't really asked any questions like a normal interview just the group things then questions about availability   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations but they are very good at fitting hours around a current job if you tell them

Buying Administrative Assistant Interview

Maidenhead, England

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Interview Details Online application and then offered a first face to face interview.

This went well then offered a second interview with another buying Manager. Did not get an offer and there was very poor feedback as to why.

Interview Question – Mostly typical standard interview questions   Answer Question

Sales Team Member Interview

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details I applied online and received an email stating I was not needed later that week. Received a call from the hiring manager asking me to come in for an interview the next week. The interview process was not difficult; I arrived on time and we waited about 10 minutes for others to arrive. We went to the back for the interview to be conducted after being told to pick a toy from the sales floor.

Interview Question – Building a toy with interview group and attempting to sell it   Answer Question

Department Supervisor Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details Make sure you are outgoing and have all your questions and answers figured out ahead of time. Have examples of past experiences with customers at any previous jobs and most of all have fun!

Interview Question – If you had an under-performing team member, how would you assess the situation?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

Pembroke Pines, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in March 2012.

Interview Details There was a very simple interview regarding skills and what you can bring to the company. Also if you notice any toys in the interview room be prepared to try and "sell" it to the manager but don't be to caught up in the process of actually trying to sell t because its a test not really for your selling ability but the way you convey yourself to other people because most likely there will be many other people interviewing along with yourself within that session.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult as for unexpected is who is your favorite childhood superhero.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None other than working hours.

Assistant Sales Manager Interview

Interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us

Interview Details hiring process is group interviews. love the process

Interview Question – only talked about experience and behavioral questions. conflict management   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Guest Service Team Member Interview

Bloomington, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details Large Group interview. Played "games" to get to know your sales and team work, followed by interviewing each other and presenting each other. Followed by a small break while they discuss us in the next room. They than came out and dismissed several people, and than did "one on one" interviews with those of us left. Had a friend interviewed at the same time. They offered me a position on the spot, and my friend got told she would be contacted with more information. She got a form rejection letter the next day.

Interview Question – What is your favorite toy?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on pay or anything, just asked for a sheet with a more detailed availablity

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Wayne, NJ (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Interview Details It was an all day process. Start early in the morning and are there until about 4-5pm. Meet lots of people within the accounting and finance dept. all questions that they ask are read from a paper. You have 2-3 one on one interviews. Group team builder exercises. There is a exam but not to difficult. Don't like not getting a call back on wether you received a job or not.

Interview Question – They ask you a lot of scenario questions nothing too difficult. Just be prepared.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Chicago, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2013.

Interview Details Started with a group interview, there were at least 8 of us. An item that we were to sell was placed in front of us and we were asked to describe it's features and sell it to a customer. Then in the next round, we each had individual interview time. I was asked a number of questions about who I admire, what's the most difficult situation you've encountered at work and how did you handle it. They told us we would be told within a week but I was told at the conclusion of the process by the interviewer that I had a good shot and they liked me for a permanent position rather than a seasonal one.

Interview Question – Being asked who I admired was a question I'd never been asked in an interview and caught me off guard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation. I was told what my hourly wage would be and was offered a permanent position to start instead of the seasonal position I had interviewed for.

Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us.

Interview Details I had the interview at the University. The interview was with 3 men. I thought the interview went well, but it has been almost a month and have never heard a 'yes' or 'no'. The interview was difficult though, all three men rate you and write comments on the hard questions they ask.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with cultural differences at school or work.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Toys ''R'' Us

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Toys ''R'' Us interview questions and advice. All 432 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Toys ''R'' Us employees and interview candidates.