Toys ''R'' Us Interview Questions

2.3

Temporary Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I applied in-person - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2014.

Group interview with around 13 people in the group. You were asked to get to know the person beside you & then report back to the group. You then were given a topic and had to engage in a group discussion whilst the interviewers looked on. Lastly, there is a toy under your seat & you have to look at it, understand it & then report back to the group, attempting to sell the toy back to them.

I thought I did everything well but unfortunately got a rejection letter about a week later. There were so many applicants, so this was to be expected.

Interview Questions
    • It was a group interview so just report back to us a little bit about the person next to you.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in July 2014.

It was a group interview and there was 9 of us (meant to be 10 but one didnt turn up). We went with one of the managers called shaun who was really nice and we all went into a room and sat in a circle. There was a pen and paper provided and the first task was to just say your name to the group. Then we had to introduce the person sat next to us after 5 minutes of asking questions on what they enjoy doing etc etc. The second task was selling a product, there was an array of toys on the desk and we all picked one up and then had 5 minutes to look at it and think of how to sell it. One by one we tried to sell the product, I thought this would be difficult but I actually enjoyed it. Then the last part was a debate, he split the room in half and we debated football players salary in groups. The debate was testing team work and listening skills. Then we all went into a different room so we could have a drink and they called us in one by one to discuss our applications. They offered me a trial the next week along with 3 other interviewees who I saw written down. The interview was really fun and has given me loads of confidence I didnt know I had.

Part Time Associate Interview

A group interview. Interviewees asked to; sell a toy, produce a poster planning an event and a numerical and organising exam. Then a one to one interview asking questions of your experience and reviewing your CV.

Xmas Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sheffield, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2013.

I applied via application form online and passed it into store at the customer service desk on a Friday, I was called on the Sunday to go in on the Monday for a Star Search, which is what they call their interview process. It turned out to be a group thing, which I suspected as I'd read online about them.

First we had to do an ice breaker, the usual "talk to the person next to you and find out about them and an interesting fact and present them to the group" thing. Easy really just talk and ask questions!

Next we were split into half, there were 10 of us so 5 on each side and they gave us topics to discuss. Our topics were "The internet should be banned" one half for banning it one half against, and "customer service is the most important reason customers come to the store" same things, one agrees one disagrees. They also had a topic of "footballers are paid too much" but we didn't discuss that one. They're more interested in how you put yourself across and how you work together than the actual topic.

Next was the Toy presentation, I'd read this online and saw the toys in the corner so mentally picked the one I wanted. We had to sell it to the group, basically just reading the box out and the pros of the product. Don't forget to mention whether it needs batteries or not!

Then they had said at one point "if we keep you behind it's because we think you'll be a good cashier and we want to test your skills" but really they just kept behind people they wanted to interview. It wasn't really an interview though they just asked us our availability.

If you pass that they call you in to go in for a second stage interview for an hour, this time you go on the shop floor, a bit on the tills to bag items, a bit to greet customers at the door and a bit going around the shop floor talking to customers.

Interview Questions
    • We weren't really asked any questions like a normal interview just the group things then questions about availability   Answer Question
    No negotiations but they are very good at fitting hours around a current job if you tell them

Buying Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Maidenhead, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in August 2012.

Online application and then offered a first face to face interview.

This went well then offered a second interview with another buying Manager. Did not get an offer and there was very poor feedback as to why.

Sales Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2013.

Sent application in, got a call back within a week or two. The call was to discuss the culture and mission of the store, salary, and set up the interview. At the interview they ASM, SM, and HR introduced themselves, talked about the store, asked us about ourselves, sent us to grab an item from the store and sale it to them. Broke up for individual interviews, asked more about me, and offered me the job. Although it was nerve wrecking because it was my first interview EVER. I would say it was easy.

None, minimum wage.

Sales Team Member Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in September 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview. When I went to the store for the interview, a cashier told everyone to walk around and pick out a toy while we wait. When I got to the interview room, we wrote our names on name tags and had to stand up and introduce ourselves with an adjective that matches the first letter of your first name. Then, we were asked to interview the person across from you as to why the company should hire them and stand up and present the info. After, we had to sell our chosen toy to the group as if you were talking to a customer. Then you had to build something out of Legos in groups and have someone stand and explain it. Finally, they called everyone back for one on one questioning. The questions were very simple and short.

Interview Questions
    • I guess the most difficult question they repeatedly asked was if you had any questions for them   Answer Question
    We did not discuss our wages

Sales Associate Interview

Make sure you come dressed to impress and be confident. They will ask you to pick out a toy from the sales floor and ask you to talk about the toy and sell it to them as if they were the customer.

Cashier/Sales Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in May 2010.

I was called in for an interview the day after I applied online. The interview was rather short as I've answered the bulk of the personality questions on the online application. The environment was very relaxed and the questions were geared towards accessing whether I can get along with team members and customers.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. The interview itself was an attempt to access my communication skills and the way I presented myself. The recruiter asked me questions such as whether I'm good with people, and do I get into arguments.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Council Bluffs, IA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Council Bluffs, IA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Toys ''R'' Us in October 2010.

You are told the process over the phone, when they schedule the interview. It starts with a group interview where you introduce yourselves to the group, almost like a first day of class get to know you activity. Then applicants are given toys and the opportunity to "sell" them to the management and other applicants and "upsell" other items to go with the product in a presentation setting. They will then take select people aside for a one-on-one interview, in my experience, the job was offered on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straight-forward and basic interview questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Worked for Toys ''R'' Us? Contribute to the Community!