Travelers Companies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

Submitted a resume via email and received a voicemail about a week later to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. Heard back a week later from a contracting service saying I received the job and the logistics would be handled through their service.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a project you have worked on with excel and how excel helped you to solve the problem.   Answer Question

Underwriter Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

I first had a phone interview where they just asked basic personality questions and to find out your interest in the position. They got back to me 3 weeks later for another in-person interview. I interviewed with four different people. I never heard back from them after that. Overall the people at the company where nice but they took a long time to get back to you after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions like name a time when you had to overcome a challenge.   Answer Question

Auto Damage Claims Representative Interview

The interview was a four step process that took about 1 month. The first step was a phone interview with one of their HR staff. The phone interview was very simple and laid back. My interviewer was very nice and mostly asked me questions about my resume and education, with a few scenario questions about my work experience. About a week after the phone interview I was asked to take a 3 hour test that was similar to the SAT, but with the questions geared toward insurance claims. There was really no way to prepare for it, but if you test well, this section of the interview will not be very difficult. Two days after I took the test, I was told that I passed and was asked to come in for an interview with the Claims managers. The interview took about two and a half hours and the questions were mostly scenario questions about how I handled various issues and tasks in my previous work experience. I thought that I did well, but was contacted a few days later with an email turning me down for the job opening. The position payed well and the interview was pretty in-depth, so it was a bummer when I got turned down for the position. I didn't get to the final step, but the fourth step is an interview with the HR managers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time in your life where you failed or didn't measure up.   Answer Question

Property Claims Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Resume submitted online, contacted by mgmt within the office to conduct phone interview. 2nd interview was with middle management staff, behavioral questions as expected. Third interview started with upper management and HR, and you are eventually matched with one-two current employees for a Peer Interview. Take this opportunity to ask more informal questions about the role (I.e. How long have they been there, expected daily routine, etc).

Interview Questions
    • Think of a time when you were forced to make a business decision without having ALL of the information you needed; what did you do, what was the result, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    The company "hires ahead", meaning they try to stay competitive by remaining slightly above others in the industry for starting wages. Negotiation for initial salary is highly unlikely.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

Referred internally. Interviewed w/ a total of 7 people - two phone w/ HR. Both seemed to go very well. Invited in for interview w/ manager + 2 team members, HR said initial feedback was favorable. Asked to come back two weeks later for 2nd round. Interviewed w/ 2 VP's. 6 weeks later and still no answer up or down despite calls to internal HR recruiter. Unbelievable lack of professionalism. Up or down folkes. "No answer" indicates a culture of arrogance and lack of respect for applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioral questions - "Tell me a time when you..."   View Answer

Workers Comp Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Phone interviews followed by two in person interviews with three people. Spent about half a day with the team. I signed for a background check. They were very knowledgeable and friendly. One month has passed without any confirmation or rejection.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: they asked a few times about commute.   Answer Question

Outside Property Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spokane, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

Slow process - standard HR questions, situational questions (i.e. give a time when...). Testing given to determine if you can read/write/follow direction such as given a map and then asked to identify addresses, direction, etc.

Interview Questions
    Travelers was unwilling to negotiate any aspect of the hiring level/salary/vacation time

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Travelers Companies in May 2014.

First I got an email from a recruiter to schedule a phone interview. Had interview and forward info to hiring manager, then a week later received an email to schedule a face to face interview. Interviewed face to face was told from manager should be hearing back in 2 weeks. A week later I received an email to schedule another face to face interview with 2 managers. I interviewed with manager, after that interview I shadowed someone for 30 mins. After that I had another interview with another manager. After that I was told should hear something in 2 weeks. A week later I received an email from the 2 managers boss over phone. After that interview I was told I should know if I received job in 2 weeks. The very next day I received an email from recruiter followed by a phone call saying I got job but I needed to put in application to do a background check and asked what my salary preference was. After that I received an email with offer and to go take drug test. After drug test, I received an email when to start.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a scenario of when you approved something that you still regret.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate because they asked me what I wanted to make and it was approved. Salary is great..

Associate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Travelers Companies in February 2014.

The process was very professional. Phone Interview, Nice Application before process and test before interview. The only issue being in Hartford in winter you had to walk outside. The parking was not with th e same building. Hartford is a very confusing city so leave plenty of time.
    Very nice as soon as you arrived.

Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Travelers Companies.

only had a phone interview with the director which went well. After the call i was invited to come over the next day!! i was expected more such as an in person interveiw but this was not needed