UCLA

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UCLA in May 2010.

Interview Details Steps includes emails,phone calls and face to face discussion by different peoples at different levels of positions in the lab. First a general background introduction is needed, then detailed questions based on your CV will be asked and the numbers of questions are depending on their satisfactions to your answers.Following this is specific technical questions concerning research experience, including how you solve problems based on your own capability. Finally is the future plan if you are hired and what requirements you have from the employer.

Interview Question – what types of people you would like to become after a few years' work here?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at UCLA in February 2010.

Interview Details phone call interview for you to talk about your research interests and experiences. You get to know more about the PhD requirements and lab cultures through the phone call as well

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UCLA in March 2010.

Interview Details I worked with my advisor for a quarter and then he hired me. there was no formal interview, only a discussion of interests. The hiring depended on the funding he had at that point. He had obtained a project at that point which was of my interest as well. I joined his group in the summer.

Interview Question – There was no interview, but I worked on a project for which I had no background. So there is a learning curve involved. this seasoned me for the type of projects that we would work on.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UCLA in June 2010.

Interview Details 1. email the professors you are interested to get interviews. Your salary will most likely depend on the funding situation of the professor.
2. Be very eager. Even if they did not reply or shows no interests, it is usually a good idea to knock on their door.
3. talk to professors, and if they are willing to hire you, your chance of getting admission is catapulted.
4. submit the whole application package to the department.
5. wait for admission, and need to constantly check with professor and remind them of your existence.

Interview Question – Describe your research experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Graduate student gets whatever paid by the professor. One thing is you should mention your years of experience because that makes a difference in the salary level you are as a GSR.

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details Applied to a PhD program in the usual way. GRE, TOEFL, LoRs, diplomas etc. I had to go through a skype interview also. At the end, I got admitted. Now, I am in my third year.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions really. Just what I have done in the past.   Answer Question

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details The process consisted of connecting with the researcher, interviewing, and then being hired.

Interview Question – The length of time for employment.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UCLA in September 2009.

Interview Details Interviewed with potential PI's throughout department. Each interview went for ~30 minutes and ran through resume - talked about previous research experience and why I was interested in their specific lab.

Also met with all the post-docs and graduate students currently in the lab. Talked with each one individually for ~5-10 minutes and they explained their project at a higher level.

Interview Question – Why do you want to join my lab and not "lab x"?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at UCLA in January 2009.

Interview Details I emailed to Professors at UCLA. A few of them replied back to my emails. One of them showed considerable interest and asked me to apply for graduate school. After my application, he didn't reply to my emails any more. I was going to another university and finally he got back to me saying that he doesn't have funding for that year, and he is going to nominate me for department fellowship. I received the department fellowship for the first year of my graduate school, which is not very much different from graduate student researcher position. The only difference is that the money comes from department grants, not Professor's grants.

Interview Question – Why did you not decide to come to USA for your Master's degree.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had to deffer my offer for three months because of visa issues, and they accepted easily.

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!