URS Corporation, an AECOM company

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

2.5

Environmental Scientist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

I was turned down by the computer genereated reviewer. But then a week later I was contacted by a recruiter. I had a phone interview with the recruiter the following monday and by thursday of that same week I had and in-person interview. By friday (the next day) they were starting the background check. And they actually called all 3 of my references. In-person interview should have lasted an hour but I had many questions and last much longer. I thought this interview process went very quickly, not sure if this is standard for the company.

They offered to pay for relocation but if you are unsure about the job, do not take the relocation money. You will have to pay back if you do not stay at the company for longer than a year!

Scheduler-Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

As with most companies, the initial application process is online so need to include key words in resume. Then a phone interview with some brief interest questions. Lastly a face-to-face. Expect safety related questions along with relevant experience.

Interview Questions
    • HR does the hiring so they will probably ask more difficult level questions than the job actually requires because the rep doesn't know exactly what you will be doing. Be prepared to have to know more than the job will require.   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiating due to their strict pay structure. They bill the client for a limited range of salary. Try to get a little more, but know they may be bringing you in close to the most they will be able to pay.

Entry-Level Geologist Interview

On-campus interview. Recruiter was very kind and helpful. She was very excited and willing to hire entry-level students. URS was very informational.

Environmental Engineer/Specialist (Entry Level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in January 2014.

The interview process was ridiculous in Cleveland, most likely because of a specific individual in my case. I interviewed 4 times for the same position, and 3 of the 4 interviews were with the same individuals. This was an entry level job mind you. I had to take days off work because the commute was so far, and I felt like each experience was just a repeat of the last. Cost me over 200 in gas and almost 40 dollars in parking passes, not to mention the day(s) salary I lost coming to interview each time. How many times does one have to interview for the same job in Cleveland? Especially an entry level position. Even after the 4th interview salary was never even discussed.

I was offered the job, accepted, and then put in my two weeks notice with my current employer. The individual who drug out the interview process was also the same person to call me and retract the offer AFTER he knew I had put in my two weeks notice with my current employer. There was no legitimate reason for the rescinded offer (nothing in my background check, nothing in my work history, etc.) nothing that would draw a red flag. The person withdrew the offer for no legitimate reason (other than personal reasons) and caused my current unemployment. Anybody out there looking for an environmental job?.....Please do yourself a favor and don't wast your time at this location, until this one specific individual quits or gets fired.

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in January 2014.

First step was a phone interview that lasted an hour and consisted of medium difficulty questions about your current job and what you do in specific details. I Felt good afterwards and I got an invite to an onsite interview the following Monday.

Next was an onsite with the manager and we went over the same topics from the phone interview which was very easy until the director came in. The directors overall demeanor was completely opposite of the manager's which was difficult for me to quickly adapt to. His questions came fast compared to the managers conversational interview style. I quickly got nervous and found it difficult to answer his questions the way I was trained to answer interview questions. To pass this round of interviewing you must be very confident and an excellent interviewer or you will not stand a chance here.

I didn't receive an offer or a response after my thank you letter.

Interview Questions
    • what would your current managers say about you?   View Answer

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

One of the engineers called me in for an interview. He discussed the tasks of the position with me. Then the engineering manager ask me questions on courses I had taken in college and how I would react to certain situations. Then the manager and engineer took me to lunch.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not difficult at all. They just seemed to need more engineers.   Answer Question

Piping Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in December 2013.

Applied online and got a series of emails to fill out questionnaires on my background and work experience. 2 weeks following that a call scheduling a phone interview with the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Dept. and the head of the Piping Engineering Division. about a month after that got an email saying another candidate had been chosen. Interviews were all very easy, minimum questions asked. Interviews mostly consisted of explaining what the job would entail and asking if I was up to the tasks and hand, explaining how I would get started, what was expected of me, etc.

Environmental Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company.

Panel interview with specific questions concerning environmental permitting, sampling, and testing.

Not much negotiation

Scheduling Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at URS Corporation, an AECOM company in November 2013.

First got an email asking for more information. Then had a phone interview and a week later was scheduled for face to face interview.

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Submitted resume online; Two weeks later, HR contacted me via email to setup phone interview with a VP of Data Management; One week later, a 30 minute phone interview with the VP and an aviation employee took place. From the very beginning, they were only interested in my aviation background, as I do have other pertinent industrial and academia experiences relating to this position. Amazingly, they "dug" for information specifically about the company's proprietary aviation datasets, main project details, and mostly about government funding as if they weren't interested in "me" but just about my prior company's "status". They deviated away from the job description entirely (i.e. GIS support on environmental and civil projects) - asking about my aviation background only and no other industrial experiences; We briefly spoke about my atmospheric-flight data integration work. They cut me short on discussing my prior accomplishments and also added distractions while I spoke (see below). The distractions happened about 16 minutes within the interview and carried to the end.

What brought this experience to a clearly "negative" level was that the VP had an aviation employee next to him (for screening obviously) who noticeably chuckled and tried adding "gotcha" questions into the interview (demonstrating incompetence and unprofessional, childish behavior).

They never asked if I had any questions regarding their position, about URS, or why I wanted to work for them (it was purely one directional information gathering and they targeted my prior company). It was definitely the worst interview experience in my career, none of which I expected it to be moderated by a 20+ year URS vice president.

Interview Questions
    • Did you even work with any radar data? (sarcastic with a chuckle added)   View Answer