Ultimate Software Interview Questions

Updated 19 Oct 2014
Updated 19 Oct 2014

2.6

Senior Payroll Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA (US)

interviewed at Ultimate Software in October 2014.

I had a phone interview first. I was told at that time a face to face interview would take place. I then had the face to face interview with a recruiter and then one of the payroll manager. After 2 days I sent a "thank you" to the recruiter via email. I didn't have the payroll manager's information. Three days after the interview I called the recruiter and left a voice mail asking for a status of the position. I didn't get a call back. I then sent an email. The next week I received an email saying another candidate was chosen.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me what would I do if one of my team members wasn't getting the job done.   View Answer

Business Analyst III Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software in May 2014.

The process was simple, but time consuming. First was an interview with a technical recruiter. That went well and I was asked to take an exam. It was timed and I was given 90 minutes. It took about a week and a half for them to contact me and say that they would like to continue the process. It then took another week and a half to get the next interview set up. Finally, a week later I got the rejection.

Interview Questions
    • If I was to call your boss, what would they say was your biggest flaw. Then at your current job, what has been your biggest failure.   View Answer

Systems Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software in May 2014.

1. Phone screen with recruiter discussing the travel and the company benefits.
    2. Phone Interview with Consulting Manager (East).
    3. Phone Interview with Consulting Manager (Midwest).
    4. Phone Interview with Director of Consulting.
    5. In-person interview company paid for flight to meet co-work in Newark, NJ.
    6. Offered position the following day from the in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral questions (Tell me about yourself, greatest strength, weakness, etc.)   Answer Question

I initially accepted after reviewing the offer and the benefits, but then declined because I received a better total compensation and benefits package.

Customer Success Professional Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software in April 2014.

The hiring process was great! I worked with 2 different recruiters regarding 2 different positions. They were both enthusiastic and energetic regarding getting me on-board with Ultimate Software. The recruiter did a preliminary interview, followed by a telephone interview, and a physical interview. I interviewed in the morning, by that afternoon an offer was made. Overall it was a great experience and I feel I made a great choice by joining the company.

Interview Questions
    • I think the most unexpected question was "What do you feel like your greatest contribution in life thus far". It gave me a chance to really think.   Answer Question
    I told the recruiter what I was looking for in terms of salary requirements, and they exceeded my expectation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Recruiter interview
    Phone interview
    Face to face interview

Interview Questions
    I got more than I asked so accepted without negotiation

Customer Success Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software.

I was contacted by the Talent Acquisition/Recruiter for a vetting interview. During that interview he told me my experience and credentials were pretty much perfect and better than the caliber of resume's he generally sees for this job. In fact, he said I'd be a perfect fit. I received a call to set up an interview with 3 managers.

That interview was awkward and strange. It was clear from the type of questions they asked they had no scope of understanding of my experience. It was clear I was grossly overqualified for the job, however that was not a concern of mine.

Even though I was overqualified, the response back to me was I was not adequately qualified. When I asked for more feedback or if there was some training I could do to become more qualified, I was told this group would never hire me and if any further jobs came up with that specific group, I would not be considered.

I really believe they are a great company and one I would love to work for, however, this experience was not good.

Interview Questions
    • What do you like least about working in an office environment.   View Answer

Integration Consultant - Temp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ultimate Software in January 2014.

Applied online on Jan 4th, received an email from the hiring manager on the 9th to setup an interview, we scheduled an interview for the 15th. It was more of a casual meeting than an interview, which I enjoyed very much.

Interview Questions

Was considering another offer at the time. Honestly, I regret declining. It's a great company

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software.

Met at a career fair, was given a remote interview about general OOP. Later flew to HQ, had several more interviews in one day, some of which were informally technical.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software.

I was contacted by a recruiter at Ultimate after submitting a resume online. After a phone conversation with one recruiter I was told that I would be receiving a phone interview from an HR manager to discuss the position in detail and that was set up for about a week later.

When my interview appointment arrived, I received my call right on time, the interview went very well and we discussed the position at length. I filled in some details about my experience and received positive feedback from the HR Manager. I was then asked to complete a power point presentation and write a paper detailing 3-5 times in my career when I showed initiative that had to be completed in under 2 hours.

I locked myself away and completed the assignment on time except that he had an issue opening the file so I had to resend. Two weeks later after sending an email asking for an update, I received a very short emailing saying that I was not moving on. No feedback on the work I completed. I sent a very polite email saying that I was disappointed I wasn't moving on and asked for feedback on my work and if this meant I could not apply for another position.

I understand that not getting feedback is fairly standard (I have received only a few responses to that question in dozens of interviews during my career) but to have put in all that work and not know why I was rejected is frustrating. Was it the work itself? It is a bit strange to ask someone to do that kind of work in such a short amount of time and expect to see your best work. It was unexpected, the deadline was unrealistic and unreasonable, and dependent on many factors other than my abilities to perform the responsibilities of the position. I realize it may have been some psychological testing thing but I have no idea what it could be about.

Interview Questions
    • There were no especially difficult questions, but I was asked to write a paper about 3-5 times in my career I showed initiative and create a power point presentation in two hours or less. The reasoning was not clear and it seemed to be the reason I was not moving forward in the process although I was not given any feedback.   Answer Question

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2013.

Got a call 2 days after submitting resume online. Standard HR screening.

Afterwards, interviewed over the phone with the senior tester. Was asked about test methologies, software development process, and other basic QA knowledged.

Then in-person interview was scheduled. Had a chat with senior developer and a tester, and they asked technical but not too difficult questions like basic SQL knowledge, how to test system that is distributed over different timezones, examples of Java polymorphism, and so on. I was supposed to see the director at the same day, but because he was in a meeting, I was asked to come in another day. I was mildly annoyed because of their lack of planning. If they knew I was coming in, and need to speak with the director, why is he in a meeting?

I went in a few days after again to speak with the director. He asked me about more of team interaction questions, asked to cite examples of various software QA situations and so on.
    Next day, I got a phone call from HR saying that everyone liked me but there is just one more step to complete. Apparently I need to talk to another QA director of a different department over the phone. This was the first time I heard about this, and I thought I was done with my last step, so I was confused but I decided to follow through.

Another HR person called me and asked for references, and salary expectations. These things normally don't happen unless the offer is certain, so I was confused. HR assured me that everything will be fine.

So this QA director called me, and he was pretty rude and fast-talking. At one point he accused me of lying on my resume, and when I pointed out the facts, he quickly moved onto another topic. Next day, HR called me, and said it went well, but apparently there is one more thing that they needed to do. Now they blatantly started changing their words, because the previous meeting should be their last one. The same manager wanted to do a 'QA Test' over the screen share. I was quite annoyed at this point, but I obliged because I didn't have much to lose.

During this 'QA Test' he should some badly designed website and asked me to explain my QA approach. I pointed out a few things, then the time ran out.

Afterwards, HR was silent for 3 business days. I sent them an email after 3 days, asking for feedback. Then the rep called me back right away, and said I was not selected for the offer. She said she wanted to tell it over the phone, not by email, because she thought it'd be the right thing to do. But no word on why they had to wait 3 days in silence, and why letting me know sooner is not better than telling me that i didn't make it only after I asked for the feedback. They checked my references too, and told me refs checked out well. My references were quite stunned that I was rejected, because no decent company would check refs before considering me an offer.

At best, they are wildly disorganized. At worst, they are shady. I was tad skeptical when their biggest claim to attract talent was "we never laid off people in 20 years"